Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9023 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Abazieu

Orlando, FL

#6845 Nov 27, 2013
Info wrote:
<quoted text>
What sort of clay is it?
They have the salted and the flat brown crunchy kind.
CLAY DIVA

Orange, TX

#6846 Nov 27, 2013
Abazieu wrote:
<quoted text>
They have the salted and the flat brown crunchy kind.
@ Abazieu is that your clay picture on facebook why we love&crave clay?
If so it looks so good and how does it taste?@ Ann you are so correct I just love looking and getting information on all the different clays.
ann

New York, NY

#6847 Nov 27, 2013
@clay diva . Yes I agree. If I could reach out and grab those clay and taste it I would be in heaven. The different variety is great. Their must be something to clay that so many cultures partake. Yum!!
clayaholic

Cradley, UK

#6848 Nov 29, 2013
This a question I'm putting out there for everyone! If Santa could bring you ANY cost this Christmas what would it be? Mine would b mavusellers original Mavu clay. Sooo creamy earthy and crunchy and no grit! My fave combination. How about you?
clayaholic

Cradley, UK

#6849 Nov 29, 2013
*oops meant to put clay
Abazieu

Orlando, FL

#6850 Nov 29, 2013
CLAY DIVA wrote:
<quoted text> @ Abazieu is that your clay picture on facebook why we love&crave clay?
If so it looks so good and how does it taste?@ Ann you are so correct I just love looking and getting information on all the different clays.
Yep that is a picture of my clay alright. It is very crunchy.
GoodOleDirt

Albany, GA

#6851 Nov 29, 2013
Check out our first annual
CUSTOMER APPRECIATION SALE!!!
Hurry!!! For a limited time, all products are just $5.00!!!
Place your order now at
www.goodoledirt.com

Since: Jun 13

Lawrenceburg, IN

#6852 Nov 30, 2013
Has anyone ordered from Homegrown Georgia White Dirt? I am thinking of ordering a case from them. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on them.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#6853 Nov 30, 2013
Kellzgirl wrote:
Has anyone ordered from Homegrown Georgia White Dirt? I am thinking of ordering a case from them. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on them.
I had bought from them in the past. They are too expensive. The clay was not even one lbs bags. The clay tasted very medicinal. I just go with mutt and Jeff. You get more for your buck and it is not bad. 10lbs for $10. You can try Wanda or Leslie you might enjoy that.

Lawrenceburg, IN

#6854 Nov 30, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I had bought from them in the past. They are too expensive. The clay was not even one lbs bags. The clay tasted very medicinal. I just go with mutt and Jeff. You get more for your buck and it is not bad. 10lbs for $10. You can try Wanda or Leslie you might enjoy that.
Thank you for the info. I usually order from Mutt and Jeff and usually have been pretty happy with them. I have ordered from Leslie and Wanda but they are very expensive for the amount I order. I will prolly stick with Mutt and Jeff . Thanks for the info.
ann

New York, NY

#6855 Nov 30, 2013
Kellzgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the info. I usually order from Mutt and Jeff and usually have been pretty happy with them. I have ordered from Leslie and Wanda but they are very expensive for the amount I order. I will prolly stick with Mutt and Jeff . Thanks for the info.
Maybe once in awhile you can treat yourself to wanda's or Leslie's. They seem more reasonable than Georgiawhitedirt or Sams. I had Sams and did not like it at all. I hope you get what you looking for. I have not ordered in awhile.

Lawrenceburg, IN

#6856 Nov 30, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe once in awhile you can treat yourself to wanda's or Leslie's. They seem more reasonable than Georgiawhitedirt or Sams. I had Sams and did not like it at all. I hope you get what you looking for. I have not ordered in awhile.
I don't mind ordering from Mutt and Jeff the best white dirt I ever had came from them. Very earthy with a little grit Yummy! Lol I just loved the idea of 48 pounds for $48 but since the bags aren't one pounders I will stick with Mutt and Jeff.
clayaholic

Cradley, UK

#6857 Dec 2, 2013
Have any UK clay eaters ordered from America? What were your experiences?
Mina34

Brentwood, CA

#6864 Dec 2, 2013
smarty pants wrote:
PICA. Pica is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., clay, coal, soil, feces, chalk, paper, soap, mucus, ash, gum etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt, blood).[1] In order for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird which is reputed to eat almost anything.[2] Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women and small children, especially among children who are developmentally disabled, where it is the most common eating disorder.[3]
Pica in children, while common, can be dangerous. Children eating painted plaster containing lead may suffer brain damage from lead poisoning. There is a similar risk from eating dirt near roads that existed prior to the phaseout of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline (in some countries) or prior to the cessation of the use of contaminated oil (either used, or containing toxic PCBs or dioxin) to settle dust. In addition to poisoning, there is also a much greater risk of gastro-intestinal obstruction or tearing in the stomach[citation needed]. This is also true in animals. Another risk of dirt eating is the possible ingestion of animal feces and the accompanying parasites. Pica can also be found in animals, and is most commonly found in dogs.
Eating a lots of clay-- you can get constipated.
Nibble only very little on soft limestone (pure calcium) not dreadful at all and make sure you eat vegetables at the same time to avoid guts blockage and constipation. Iíve seen on TV elephants eat dirt because there is some minerals there their body needs. Nature is smart but eating nasty chemicals is very bad as bad as drinking fluoridated water, use artificial sweetener- aspartame poisoning or doing vaccination that all cause censer
Mina34

Brentwood, CA

#6865 Dec 2, 2013
Eating a lots of clay you can get constipated.
Nibble only very little on soft limestone (pure calcium) not dreadful at all and make sure you eat vegetables at the same time to avoid guts blockage and constipation. Iíve seen on TV elephants eat dirt because there is some minerals there their body needs. Nature is smart but eating nasty chemicals is very bad as bad as drinking fluoridated water, use artificial sweetener- aspartame poisoning or doing vaccination that all cause censer
clayssoyumm

Fremont, CA

#6866 Dec 3, 2013
hey anyone tasted indian grey roasted clay..not multani mitti...the other one that we get from the roadside kiosks..
luvos lover

Heilbronn, Germany

#6867 Dec 4, 2013
hey i live in german and i enjoy eating luvos
its very very nice especially the granulates which i enjoy so far no negative side effects my digestion has greatly improved and have never hard any stomach problems
its sold in dragories eg muller and rosman if you need it
Abazieu

Orlando, FL

#6868 Dec 4, 2013
clayaholic wrote:
Have any UK clay eaters ordered from America? What were your experiences?
I live in America. The clay that we get is straight from Africa and it is sold in the African stores.
clayssoyumm

Fremont, CA

#6869 Dec 4, 2013
Abazieu wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in America. The clay that we get is straight from Africa and it is sold in the African stores.
Hey i too live in America can u tell me which african stores do you get it...??Thanks in advance!
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

#6870 Dec 4, 2013
Hello My Clay Family!!!

I'm so confused a colleague of mine saw me watching women in kenya chewing clay,and I ended telling her that I do eat clay sometimes and that I crave clay non stop, I'm planning to spoil myself and buy some,She told me that I'm possessed,that the reason i'm craving clay non stop is the evil spirit controlling me.

She also told me to google this video-- "Freedom From Addiction To Eating Ice, Soil & Clay!!

Please watch this video on Youtube --- Freedom From Addiction To Eating Ice, Soil & Clay

What a turn off,I wanted to spoil myself now I'm hearing this scary news,I dont hear voices telling me to eat clay,I just love eating clay since i was 13yrs and as a result i'm suffering from PICA,but its not bad at all,I take my iron tablets when its necessary,when I have my clay I drink lots and lots of water and I dont suffer from constipation....Thanks to our forum

So My Clay Family,My Ladies Mary Tyler,Adaku,All things clay,Mazilibra,Alex,Earthy Lady,Odowa Lover pls lets disscuss this issue,Let us be brutally honest: DO YOU THINK WE ARE POSSESSED BY EVIL SPIRITS OR DO YOU THINK WE HAVE PICA?

Cheers!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pearl Cafe: Asian Cuisine That Continually Cran... 1 min Poo Tacos 3
News From ice cream to condos and townhouses, develo... 4 hr Mark K 10
News Investors ask Steak n Shake: Where's the beef? (Nov '07) 7 hr Jogo22 46
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 12 hr Fart news 708
News Experience the best of Sydney 17 hr duck goose 1
News The Forks: 9 marvellous things for this long we... Aug 1 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
News Dining Detour: Restaurants near Nassau Coliseum (Jan '09) Jul 31 Joan 12
More from around the web