Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
6,361 - 6,380 of 7,879 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Lovesclay

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, did you order your white dirt from Mutt and Jeff? The last that I bought from there was not creamy and smooth but had a lot of grit and tasted like chemicals. Please let me know if this is a good batch because theirs is a bargain. I couldn't eat the dirt they sent me, and I still have a lot of it.
I have a shipment coming from Mutt and Jeff today. I hope the batch I get is not the way you described it! I'll let you know how it turns out. Amy's dirt was trashed the same day I got it. I wouldn't even try to pass it on to anyone else. Have you found any dirt in the US that is straight from the mine and not processed? I can bake it myself. Truthfully, when I was living in a house (I'm in an apartment now), I was able to dig down deep and get it myself. I lived in Phoenix, AZ a few years ago, and that was the best so far.
Abazieu

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

UK CLAY wrote:
Finally got the chance to try odowa and I have to say that I am IN LOVE
the bags have come ripped though and it does get everywhere the but the chunks I can suck on ALL DAY so earthy so tasty so creamy yet still gritty!
Can you post a picture if your odowa so I can see of it is the same kind they say has been banned in the U.S., which is the kind that I like.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a shipment coming from Mutt and Jeff today. I hope the batch I get is not the way you described it! I'll let you know how it turns out. Amy's dirt was trashed the same day I got it. I wouldn't even try to pass it on to anyone else. Have you found any dirt in the US that is straight from the mine and not processed? I can bake it myself. Truthfully, when I was living in a house (I'm in an apartment now), I was able to dig down deep and get it myself. I lived in Phoenix, AZ a few years ago, and that was the best so far.
The closest to straight from a mine is Leslie's and Wanda's--at least those that I've tried. Also clay chunks from Soul Sista were good, in my opinion. I tried the Calaba chalk from Transmaw and it looked unprocessed but I didn't really like the flavor. I remember my Mom going to the side of a dirt road to dig for clay when I was about 8 years old to send to my pregnant sister. She baked it and let me taste a piece. It was really good--smooth and with a pleasant tang. I am still looking for clay like that and have yet to find it.

Since: Sep 13

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest to straight from a mine is Leslie's and Wanda's--at least those that I've tried. Also clay chunks from Soul Sista were good, in my opinion. I tried the Calaba chalk from Transmaw and it looked unprocessed but I didn't really like the flavor. I remember my Mom going to the side of a dirt road to dig for clay when I was about 8 years old to send to my pregnant sister. She baked it and let me taste a piece. It was really good--smooth and with a pleasant tang. I am still looking for clay like that and have yet to find it.
Hello Lovesclay and EbOnyx, can you share Leslie and Wanda's website and what kind of clay do they sell?
Lovesclay

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
I received my white dirt from Mutt & Jeff and I was pleasantly surprised! It had an earthy flavor to it which I hadn't tasted in white dirt I have previously purchased from other places. Please add contact information for Soul Sista and Leslie & Wanda's, I'd like to sample their clay.:)

Since: Oct 13

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
I received my white dirt from Mutt & Jeff and I was pleasantly surprised! It had an earthy flavor to it which I hadn't tasted in white dirt I have previously purchased from other places. Please add contact information for Soul Sista and Leslie & Wanda's, I'd like to sample their clay.:)
Is it smooth and chalky or gritty?
Lovesclay

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it smooth and chalky or gritty?
It's smooth with a little grit.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Hi all.

I promised to review the clays Id gotten. The white clay from Zambia has an incredibly stroooooong earthy taste which I love. I finished the clay in a week lol.

Im having exams for the next three weeks but have just caught up with comments etc. Im based in Cape Town, South Africa and Ive been thinking... How about I buy all the five or so clays I have at my disposal and try get them to those interested? It will be your clay gift. I dont want to make a profit at all and it will be once off.

Youll need to find out shipping laws, costs for your country because youll pay for all that sadly but nothing extra.

After exams Ill put up my email address, go buy a packet of the various clays and then make a short video with all the clays so you can see them. Ill take pics too. Ill provide the clay's details too like which country its from to its name etc. Each bag or block is R5 which once converted into pounds and dollars isnt bad at all though its the shipping which might suck. Hmmm.

Ill also need help/advice regarding what to use when packaging it but thats also if it this will happen at all. Uhm what else am I forgetting?
Anyway this is just an idea. Tell me what you
think.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Earthy Lady wrote:
Hi all.
I promised to review the clays Id gotten. The white clay from Zambia has an incredibly stroooooong earthy taste which I love. I finished the clay in a week lol.
Im having exams for the next three weeks but have just caught up with comments etc. Im based in Cape Town, South Africa and Ive been thinking... How about I buy all the five or so clays I have at my disposal and try get them to those interested? It will be your clay gift. I dont want to make a profit at all and it will be once off.
Youll need to find out shipping laws, costs for your country because youll pay for all that sadly but nothing extra.
After exams Ill put up my email address, go buy a packet of the various clays and then make a short video with all the clays so you can see them. Ill take pics too. Ill provide the clay's details too like which country its from to its name etc. Each bag or block is R5 which once converted into pounds and dollars isnt bad at all though its the shipping which might suck. Hmmm.
Ill also need help/advice regarding what to use when packaging it but thats also if it this will happen at all. Uhm what else am I forgetting?
think.
I will help in whatever way I can. It's really nice of you to be willing to do this! So far it sounds good. The shipping is going to be the most important thing to find out about, and that varies for people in different areas. What is the name of your postal service?

Since: Sep 13

Reisterstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Earthy Lady wrote:
Hi all.
think.
I would love to taste the Zambia white clay and anything else you might have! I don't know how to go about shipping cost though . Can you sell through PayPal? That may make it easier.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Earthy Lady wrote:
Hi all.
think.
I assume that the R5 is the South African Rand. If so, the current exchange rate is 1 rand = 0.10 US dollar. So each bag is about .50 cents? Hopefully shipping won't be too outrageous.
Mel

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Hi Earthy Lady,

I don't mind getting da different clays and since I am in Durban, it wil be much cheaper for me to get it, it can be posted. Thanks
Earthy Lady

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Thanks for the eager responses, Ill be back in three weeks or so with answers and more questions to discuss logistics.

Ti clarify quickly, yes R5 is the South African Rand. All you arw payinh for is the postage or any other alterbative way of getting the clay to you and the actual costs of buying the clay. Im not looking to make a profit. Perhaps Ill also ask to try some Georgia white dirt!? So excited actually to share all this, hopefully.

Things are stressful and the Zambian white clay has been my drug of choice for the past two or so weeks. Finished it a few days ago though and I wont have time to go buy more so no clay for me either which is good.

Keep well all.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Excuse the typos. Plus in the mean it will help if you try look up the costs involved. Ive beeeeeeen looking up how much it would cost me to have white dirt brought this side for some time too.
Clay Clay

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Earthy Lady wrote:
Excuse the typos. Plus in the mean it will help if you try look up the costs involved. Ive beeeeeeen looking up how much it would cost me to have white dirt brought this side for some time too.
PLEASE look for postage prices for the UK!! I'm soooo interested. Thanks!
clayaholic

Oldbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Got my red soil cake from mavu and it's still as yummy as before. This batch is good because the size of the clay seems bigger to me so I guess I'm getting more for my money. Stocked up on 5 bags this time. Won't last me tho!

I'd be interested in the south African clay too.
LoveClay

Somerset West, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

I am from Johannesburg, I love eating clay sold on the streets.

I recently relocated from Johannesburg to Cape Town. I havent seen any clay been sold on the streets.

I would like to try some Zambian white clay, if you still have.

Please email me on seapei.seema@gmail.com
clay lover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

I LOVE EATING FREAKING CLAY THE ONE I EAT IS GREY ITS JUST SOOOOOO EARTHY THE TASTR SMELL AND EVERYTHING I LOVE I ALSO EAT DIRT FOR THAT EARTHY TASTE
Sa ex eater

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

M also intrested in various types of clay..mostly d zimbabwean,d white n red if u hav.m in johannesburg so plz let me knw whn u start sending. Preciousshibambo@yahoo.com
Sa ex eater

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

M also intrested in tryng dfrnt types of clay....mostly d zimbabwean,d white n d red clay....let me knw whn u start sending.m in johannesburg ...my email is preciousshibambo@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Food Forum right now

Search the Food Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas of Panama (Dec '07) 43 min Jim Dandy 11
Why is clay so addictive? 2 hr suri clay 2
Defeat insomnia and sleep easy with these top f... (Oct '13) 4 hr MargauxDiaz 4
Not lovin' it in Russia: McDonald's, Wendy's in... 9 hr russian 16
Dining review: At Pho Saigon Bay, discover the ... 14 hr vc bac ky AN meo the tham 6
Opinion: Just say nyet to Russian fish 16 hr Karmarim 6
SNAP recipients can save at farmers' markets 17 hr hmm 47
•••
•••