Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,794
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
diatomatious earth

Sunnyvale, CA

#6673 Oct 10, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
Is there any place in Houston where I can buy good, gritty clay? In the past, I have tried the white clay from Georgia, but it is too creamy for me. I'm looking for earthy, brown or yellow clay. Thank you!:)
Try leslie's red dirt..its gritty
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6674 Oct 11, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
I'm going to order some of Grandma's white dirt from Sam this weekend. Been eating my cornstarch on and off, making cornstarch chunks and eating it just right out the box.
How do you make the cornstarch chunks?
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6675 Oct 11, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary Tyler, I have to agree with you about harvestgirl's dirt. I just got home and hers was one of the three waiting for me. When I opened hers, it's a very deep red dirt with some debris and small twigs. I tasted a small bit of it and it was very salty. Not to my liking at all. I also received ayelo and Cameroon calaba chalk from Transmaw Food Services in Maryland. The calaba chalk had a strong smoky flavor. I know many of you love this taste but I did not care for it at all. The ayelo clay had a taste that was not smoky but still not to my liking. The best clay that I received was from Mavu. I got her red clay chunks. They were nice and gritty, not really earthy, but still a taste that I liked. Hope this info is useful to someone.
Soilseeker, I have some of Amy's dirt coming to me today...I'm going to be DEVASTATED if it's salty...:(...What is it with salt being added to soil anyway? Is that a further measure to kill bacteria? It can't be for preservative reasons, it's dirt! Lol! I'd like earth flavoured clay, please! How do you order internationally? Can you use your credit card and it automatically converts the currency? Questions, questions!:)
Mz libra

United States

#6676 Oct 11, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you make the cornstarch chunks?
go to YT and look up cornstarch chunks several videos on making them. They come out looking like white clay chunks they taste soooooooooooooooo good!!!! The best cornstarch to use is Argo in the box or great value

Since: Sep 13

Reisterstown, MD

#6677 Oct 11, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Soilseeker, I have some of Amy's dirt coming to me today...I'm going to be DEVASTATED if it's salty...:(...What is it with salt being added to soil anyway? Is that a further measure to kill bacteria? It can't be for preservative reasons, it's dirt! Lol! I'd like earth flavoured clay, please! How do you order internationally? Can you use your credit card and it automatically converts the currency? Questions, questions!:)
Hi Lovesclay, yes my dirt from harvestgirl was very salty with debri in it. I was very dissapointed. Let me know if you have better luck. When I order international, I went online to a currency converter site to figure out how much it would cost in US dollars. I'm very careful of who I purchase from and I only trust sites that let you pay through PayPal because I have been burned before. Good Luck!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6678 Oct 11, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the link ?
Why we crave & love clay - Facebook
All things clay

Kingsteignton, UK

#6679 Oct 12, 2013
Hello all, I would just like to say thanks to a few ladies here:

First to UK Clay, as due to a message from her I was prompted to contact Soul Sista to enquire about clay.

Next to Soul Sista herself, who I would like to thank for her excellent customer service extended to me in getting clay to me within my time frame. I had never tried the two types that she sells, and to be frank with the first bite didn't think I would like the moulded clay (quite strong smoky, roasted taste) but I soon found that I had quickly acquired a taste for it! Woke up craving it last night, but resisted.

I also like the clay in its natural state that I got from Soul Sista, although I will bake it to hopefully make it crunchier and bring out the flavour more.

Next I would thank a lady here who is not a supplier but who sold me some Indian Black/Grey roasted clay from her personal supply. Thank you so much! I LOVE this clay, it is so crunchy with just the right amount of grittiness for me before turning smooth. I like the flavour of it too. It is very crunchy - good for people who like harder clay I would say.

I have been overindulging in clay the past couple of days, but I don't feel too bad about it because - as is my usual practice with all new clays that I try - I have just been chewing rather than swallowing the clay.

Unfortunately it has not worked out in getting Mavu clay this time - by the time I realized that she had more stock there wasn't enough time to order it.
Lovesclay

Cypress, TX

#6680 Oct 12, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Lovesclay, yes my dirt from harvestgirl was very salty with debri in it. I was very dissapointed. Let me know if you have better luck. When I order international, I went online to a currency converter site to figure out how much it would cost in US dollars. I'm very careful of who I purchase from and I only trust sites that let you pay through PayPal because I have been burned before. Good Luck!
Thanks Soilseeker! I got the dirt and sadly, it was very salty. It had a scent to it and I'm not sure if it was vinegar or what, but opening the bag and smelling was enough to turn me away. Aside from the extreme saltiness, the composition of the "clay" tasted more to me like sand. I noticed a little debris in it, but that would have been manageable if I could have been able to eat the product I purchased. Disappointed!:( I'm glad I only bought 2 pounds - the price came to a little less than twenty dollars, so it wasn't a huge loss. I've got 10 pounds of white clay coming on Tuesday, so I won't have to wait much longer to satiate my clay cravings.:)
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6681 Oct 12, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Soilseeker! I got the dirt and sadly, it was very salty. It had a scent to it and I'm not sure if it was vinegar or what, but opening the bag and smelling was enough to turn me away. Aside from the extreme saltiness, the composition of the "clay" tasted more to me like sand. I noticed a little debris in it, but that would have been manageable if I could have been able to eat the product I purchased. Disappointed!:( I'm glad I only bought 2 pounds - the price came to a little less than twenty dollars, so it wasn't a huge loss. I've got 10 pounds of white clay coming on Tuesday, so I won't have to wait much longer to satiate my clay cravings.:)
I purchased 2 pounds as well, and can't eat it. She advertised "sour clay" and it DID smell like vinegar. I can't be sure, but it makes me wonder if the vinegar was added (like the salt) because the natural sour taste that some clay has doesn't smell like that. At any rate, it is going in the garbage. I have tried many different types of clay and soil, but this is like dark red loose sand.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6682 Oct 12, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, did you order your white dirt from Mutt and Jeff? The last that I bought from there was not creamy and smooth but had a lot of grit and tasted like chemicals. Please let me know if this is a good batch because theirs is a bargain. I couldn't eat the dirt they sent me, and I still have a lot of it.
Curious

Forest Park, GA

#6683 Oct 12, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, did you order your white dirt from Mutt and Jeff? The last that I bought from there was not creamy and smooth but had a lot of grit and tasted like chemicals. Please let me know if this is a good batch because theirs is a bargain. I couldn't eat the dirt they sent me, and I still have a lot of it.
Put the clay in a paper bag & it'll get rid of the chemically taste plus it'll make it crunchier . I had to do that problem but after a day it was earthy & crunchier . I haven't had white dirt in a while . But I do miss it . Hope this helped .

Since: Sep 13

Reisterstown, MD

#6684 Oct 12, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like harvestgirl is making money off of salty vinegary sandy dirt that nobody can eat! Mine is going in the trash as well. I got my white dirt from goodoledirt.com . If you like the smooth white dirt, theirs seemed pretty good. Very smooth with no grit. I prefer gritty and earthy so I still have what I got from them. I don't know if I'll ever grow to crave it, but I will try it from time to time. My favorite so far is the red soil cake from Mavu Seller.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6685 Oct 12, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like harvestgirl is making money off of salty vinegary sandy dirt that nobody can eat! Mine is going in the trash as well. I got my white dirt from goodoledirt.com . If you like the smooth white dirt, theirs seemed pretty good. Very smooth with no grit. I prefer gritty and earthy so I still have what I got from them. I don't know if I'll ever grow to crave it, but I will try it from time to time. My favorite so far is the red soil cake from Mavu Seller.
Agree
I haven't read a post yet were any one was able to eat eat her clay.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6686 Oct 12, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Put the clay in a paper bag & it'll get rid of the chemically taste plus it'll make it crunchier . I had to do that problem but after a day it was earthy & crunchier . I haven't had white dirt in a while . But I do miss it . Hope this helped .
Thanks, Curious--I tried that but it still tastes bad to me. It was a harder kaolin, not as powdery and fine as usual. The ones I got before this last time were great so I think it was just an off batch. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good supply next time.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6687 Oct 12, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had goodoledirt many times. I have just been trying to make up my mind whether to buy from Amazon or her website. I have Amazon cash saved up but the price for 2 lbs plus shipping is over six dollars higher if you buy from Amazon. Cheaper to buy from the website, but then I have to use my "real" money, lol.
hannahclaylover

Bolton, UK

#6688 Oct 13, 2013
Hey everyone like mavu's facebook page because if it reaches 100 FREE CLAY WILL BE GIVEN OUT its currently at 46. Just click here https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAVU/380522282...
MissMS

Newport News, VA

#6689 Oct 13, 2013
Mechelle Dzoole wrote:
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. If you want to buy White dirt or red dirt, please contact me at Ndukanachi@yahoo.com. The cost is $10.00 per bag plus shipping and handling. This is not the washed kaolin like you buy from the other online dirt companies. This is that good ole dirt!
Does this offer still stand?! I just relocated from MS & I am craving sum good ol red dirt... I've been from sure to sue searching for some REAL red clay. k4klassy@gmail.com

“www.mavu.bigcart el.com”

Since: Feb 13

London, UK

#6690 Oct 13, 2013
Hi Ladies!

We have 5 bags left of the the tanzanian red soil cake clay at only 2.99!

http://mavu.bigcartel.com/product/red-soil-ca...

After they are gone they are gone!
sikor clay

London, UK

#6691 Oct 14, 2013
Seen sikor being mentioned on the forum couple times anybody know wherr it can be purchased?
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#6693 Oct 15, 2013
Finally got the chance to try odowa and I have to say that I am IN LOVE

the bags have come ripped though and it does get everywhere the but the chunks I can suck on ALL DAY so earthy so tasty so creamy yet still gritty!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Puppy Pals Ranch Announces a Special 'Long Term... (May '08) 5 hr Cmparker 9
Farmers fear even greater labor shortage under ... 12 hr Gary 1
Little Caesars cements deal 18 hr yummy 21
Big Daddy's now open in Live Oak (Nov '08) 20 hr fuilcrew 174
The effects of the BP oil spill on Las Vegas (Jun '10) Sun Viewer 7
For a meat-centric dinner, meet at Skrine Chops (Jan '08) Fri Reddog 6
For Australian Christmas, Everything's Overturn... Fri Deano 10
More from around the web