Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
6,321 - 6,340 of 7,874 Comments Last updated 41 min ago

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Is there any place in Houston where I can buy good, gritty clay? In the past, I have tried the white clay from Georgia, but it is too creamy for me. I'm looking for earthy, brown or yellow clay. Thank you!:)
shadae

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

I want some of this red clay. I never tasted the yellow but I will gibe it a try. I stay in Alabama anyone who knows where I can get it email me sheltonlashunda@Gmail.com

Since: Sep 13

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Lovesclay wrote:
Is there any place in Houston where I can buy good, gritty clay? In the past, I have tried the white clay from Georgia, but it is too creamy for me. I'm looking for earthy, brown or yellow clay. Thank you!:)
Hi Lovesclay. I use to buy the Terramin clay from Clay Remedies online. They use to sell it in chunk form which was very gritty and earthy ( yum!) now they only sell it in powder form. It is still gritty but a finer grit and not as earthy, but the lady that works there said to follow the instructions on their site to make the powder into chunks. You mix the powder with water into a paste and bake it.I haven't tried this yet but I am going to try it. I only have a few small chunks left and I really hope baking the powdered kind works.
Lovesclay

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Thanks Soilseeker! I have tried Clay Remedies terramin chunks, but it tasted salty to me. I like it bland! I haven't talked to anyone from Clay Remedies, but if they have the salt free kind, I'd happily try it.
mitti lover

Bangalore, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

mitti lover wrote:
<quoted text>hi mary...will post d pics once i purchase it next tym...bt now im trying to avoid it by taking aurvedic medicines as i have anemia
hi mary...unbaked multani looks very much similar to original mavu on mavuseller site. it is yellowish in colour. and baked one looks like nakkumatt clay.
Rinkir

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Hi mitti lover .you r indian. Were r u from
diatomatious earth

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Hello cray forum I hv an extra pound of DE ( diatomateous earth) powder for whomever wants to try some.I bought some but did not lk the taste..kinda taste lk white dirt with abit of grit but is supposed to be healthier.
If you've never heard of it research/google it and if it meets your fancy all you need to do is pay for the shipping and its yours.
(Ivymburu@hotmail) for any further questions.
Ps you can turn it into chunks by adding water en baking them.
diatomatious earth

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Lovesclay wrote:
Thanks Soilseeker! I have tried Clay Remedies terramin chunks, but it tasted salty to me. I like it bland! I haven't talked to anyone from Clay Remedies, but if they have the salt free kind, I'd happily try it.
maybe try some diatomateous clay its bland.com es in powder form too just like the terramin powder.

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Yes, the terrimin powder is somewhat salty. I found some chunks had less salt than other chunks. I don't prefer the salt taste but the grit and crunch and earthy flavor was what I love and I can't find anything better so far. I also brought diatomatious earth and it was way too bland for me. It didn't taste earthy and hardly no grit. I still have my big bag of it as well. I may try and bake some though to see if there is a difference. I read some past blogs that said putting clay in a brown paper bag for awhile will give it a more earthy taste. I haven't tried that yet but I may do it with the DE. I'm finally going home tomorrow after being away for about four weeks! I have ordered three different clays from different companies that should be waiting for me when I arrive. I will post my findings!
All things clay

Saint Columb, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Chalk lover, hope you are well.
Well I am in the UK now and my search for clay or chalk is not going well! I had really hoped to place a big order of original Mavu as well as try other clays, but Mavu Seller doesn't have the stock. I have had no luck so far either in finding any clay chunks in the area I am in. One area I visited I got excited when I spotted a shop selling African things but the lady behind the counter hadn't even heard of eating clay she said. So disappointing.
Thanks again for your kind offer to meet up, but I am down south in Dorset and see that you are in Birmingham so probably not feasible. I was wondering, if you see this in time, if you would be willing to sell me some of the chalks (I like hard ones) and/or clays from your collection - like put together a variety pack lol! Can you let me know? You can contact me here and on email judycha63@gmail.com
I wish there was a clay shop that I could go into openly selling all sorts of clays that people could sample. I am still trying to find the perfect clay for me - original Mavu is close, but still not perfect I have to say. I would like to have a clay that is very earthy, doesn't stick to teeth and gums, and is a bit gritty. I also would like this clay to be natural and not moulded. Does anyone have any suggestions? In particular UK ladies?
Thanks!
Hello all, I am bringing this post forward in case Chalk lover comes on or anyone else has any suggestions or clay or chalk for sale in the UK. My time is running out here and I am trying to find as much clay as I can!

Thanks
Mel

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

I just got sum clay from Jhb, its da yellow block clay. It neva cum as big as it usually does, but dis type da clay was so clean and really crisp which I enjoyed and also creamy. At least nw my craving is gone lol until my clay is finished. Anyways hope every1 is enjoying der clay, I knw I am :)
Amy Red Dirt

Monroeville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Looking for great tasting red clay? Amy's Red Dirt is your supplier. We have red clay that is from Alabama and is $6.00 a pound. For more info and order request, please contact us a harvestgirl1@live.com.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Amy Red Dirt wrote:
Looking for great tasting red clay? Amy's Red Dirt is your supplier. We have red clay that is from Alabama and is $6.00 a pound. For more info and order request, please contact us a harvestgirl1@live.com.
@harvestgirl I don't want to offend you, but I seen a picture of your dirt on the other clay forum from someone who purchase your dirt and it wasn't clay at all. It had all kinds of twigs and debris in it.I know its clay that we all eat but that looked very disturbing to me. Where are you digging your clay from and just how deep are you digging?
Curious

Stockbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @harvestgirl I don't want to offend you, but I seen a picture of your dirt on the other clay forum from someone who purchase your dirt and it wasn't clay at all. It had all kinds of twigs and debris in it.I know its clay that we all eat but that looked very disturbing to me. Where are you digging your clay from and just how deep are you digging?
What's the link ?
mitti lover

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Rinkir wrote:
Hi mitti lover .you r indian. Were r u from
yes im from India...Mumbai
a bennett

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

As a young child growing up in eastern N.C., we had brick mills around and they'd dig these spots looking for clay. Everyone ate the clay. It was a matter of just going and get it. It was so good but then, seems everyone dropped the habit or craving. I had a heart attack about 2 months ago and right after that, the craving came back. I'd lie in my bed just thinking about it. I looked on line and found goodoledirt.com and I bought a bag. Not the very same taste but man is it GOOD. I'm on my third bag now and the urge is getting stronger. Some days, I'll rush home from work just to get a crumb in my mouth. I'm 63 years old now and I've tried 2 other brands and they were tasteless. Wanda has the best by far.

Reisterstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @harvestgirl I don't want to offend you, but I seen a picture of your dirt on the other clay forum from someone who purchase your dirt and it wasn't clay at all. It had all kinds of twigs and debris in it.I know its clay that we all eat but that looked very disturbing to me. Where are you digging your clay from and just how deep are you digging?
Mary Tyler, I have to agree with you about harvestgirl's dirt. I just got home and hers was one of the three waiting for me. When I opened hers, it's a very deep red dirt with some debris and small twigs. I tasted a small bit of it and it was very salty. Not to my liking at all. I also received ayelo and Cameroon calaba chalk from Transmaw Food Services in Maryland. The calaba chalk had a strong smoky flavor. I know many of you love this taste but I did not care for it at all. The ayelo clay had a taste that was not smoky but still not to my liking. The best clay that I received was from Mavu. I got her red clay chunks. They were nice and gritty, not really earthy, but still a taste that I liked. Hope this info is useful to someone.
Mz libra

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

I'm going to order some of Grandma's white dirt from Sam this weekend. Been eating my cornstarch on and off, making cornstarch chunks and eating it just right out the box.
shabu

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Help me to find out good nakumatt roasted clay..
diatomatious earth

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

diatomatious earth wrote:
Hello cray forum I hv an extra pound of DE ( diatomateous earth) powder for whomever wants to try some.I bought some but did not lk the taste..kinda taste lk white dirt with abit of grit but is supposed to be healthier.
If you've never heard of it research/google it and if it meets your fancy all you need to do is pay for the shipping and its yours.
(Ivymburu@hotmail) for any further questions.
Ps you can turn it into chunks by adding water en baking
them.
I nolonger have the DE but if you are curious to know where I got it from let me know.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••