Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
6,301 - 6,320 of 7,836 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
UK CLAY

Northampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Just got my red soil cakes from Mavu

Packaging was discreet and layered in ways so the cakes don't crack! It came very quick as promised and she is right when she said you get less for more there's at least 10 pieces in there for just 2.99

The cakes are not to my tasting though I do prefer sour bitter clay with grit but not too much. Burnt and roasted. The soil cakes however are very gritty but not sour, just a little earthy.This isn't Mavus fault as obviously she's providing the clay she has.

Clay hugs everyone!
All things clay

Lostwithiel, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Info wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, My order from Leslie usually gets here for either the 7th or 8th day after Leslie has posted it. The US postage service she uses states 6 to 10 days. Hope that helps.
Thank you...will think about it over the next day or two but still trying to avoid paying international shipping costs.

Eager to find some good clay already in the UK! Was really hoping to find some nice earthy, natural (i.e. unmolded) clay. Something with a bit of grit would be wonderful.
All things clay

Lostwithiel, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

UK CLAY wrote:
Just got my red soil cakes from Mavu
Packaging was discreet and layered in ways so the cakes don't crack! It came very quick as promised and she is right when she said you get less for more there's at least 10 pieces in there for just 2.99
The cakes are not to my tasting though I do prefer sour bitter clay with grit but not too much. Burnt and roasted. The soil cakes however are very gritty but not sour, just a little earthy.This isn't Mavus fault as obviously she's providing the clay she has.
Clay hugs everyone!
Hi UK Clay. I see you don't like it much. Do you want to keep it? If not I would be willing to buy what's left from you, even though I'm not sure it would be to my taste either and am really looking for unmolded clay. Can you let me know?
Soil Cake

Bowie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

The soil cakes were much more sandy this time than the first batch.
clay yay

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Yunus...what is this clay called and is it natural unmoulded clay or do you roast it ? Can you share a picture with us or let us know how we can buy
Earthy Lady

Cape Town, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

So today I finally had the chance to go to the market to buy some clay. Turns out I was in for a surprise. The lady I buy it from has pumped up her stock. I mean like insanely. She has clay from: Zambia- white clay essentially which I bought to try because I've been dying to taste some. Then she has clay from Congo and Cameroon. Then the usual clay from joburg and Zimbabwe-this is like the original mavu like I said before. I was in a clay eater's heaven! So now I have 5 clays to choose from. I've asked about getting the kenyan clay, she said yes she will try get it. None of her clay is baked except the one clay I bought which was roasted, it's really 'raw'and amazingly earthy. I decided to bake some of the white clay and original mavu clay. Will update on how they taste baked and unbaked. Yay!
shan

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

YUNUS khan wrote:
I have a all type roasted clay I from India Gujarat my email
shirmalyunus.khan@Yahoo. com

hiya i just tried to email you but for some reason when i went to send you the mail it said incorrect email addy:-(
All things clay

Lostwithiel, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Chalk lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi All things clay, hope your well. I haven't been including as much raw foods as I would like to, I just have a little here and there - but I have been eating a lot of fruit and not having any chocolates/crisps/cakes etc.
Tips for chalk. Well, there isn't much the UK has to offer I'm afraid. We have one chalk manufacturer called stadium http://www.stadiumcrayons.co.uk/chalks/
they produce chalks and crayons. But they sell in bulk to retail and industry. I have a few packs still. We have Crayola the anti-dust type, Stephens chalk and a few other brands but none that I really like. Here is a link to ebay and amazon where you'll see the types of chalks available in the UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Childrens-Crafts-/2...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/kids/3...
During my search for chalk, I managed to buy quite a lot of different types (which I still have boxed away). The German chalks are nice, if you like the soft crumbly kind. But to get those, I went onto other ebay sites in different countries in the EU (Germany, France etc). I have loads of these boxed away too. Plus I have the old style crayola and and brand called alpha that is the same hard chalk like crayola.
Depending on where you're visiting in the UK, we can meet up and you can try all of my chalks - I have loads.
Shipping to the UK from the US is expensive and unfortunately in the past, I have been charged an extra UK customs charge to release the goods.
Hope this helps
God bless
Hi Chalk lover, hope you are well.

Well I am in the UK now and my search for clay or chalk is not going well! I had really hoped to place a big order of original Mavu as well as try other clays, but Mavu Seller doesn't have the stock. I have had no luck so far either in finding any clay chunks in the area I am in. One area I visited I got excited when I spotted a shop selling African things but the lady behind the counter hadn't even heard of eating clay she said. So disappointing.

Thanks again for your kind offer to meet up, but I am down south in Dorset and see that you are in Birmingham so probably not feasible. I was wondering, if you see this in time, if you would be willing to sell me some of the chalks (I like hard ones) and/or clays from your collection - like put together a variety pack lol! Can you let me know? You can contact me here and on email judycha63@gmail.com

I wish there was a clay shop that I could go into openly selling all sorts of clays that people could sample. I am still trying to find the perfect clay for me - original Mavu is close, but still not perfect I have to say. I would like to have a clay that is very earthy, doesn't stick to teeth and gums, and is a bit gritty. I also would like this clay to be natural and not moulded. Does anyone have any suggestions? In particular UK ladies?

Thanks!
YUNUS khan

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

shan wrote:
<quoted text>
hiya i just tried to email you but for some reason when i went to send you the mail it said incorrect email addy:-(
shirmalyunus.khan@yahoo.com

now this id to send
UK CLAY

Northampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Chalk lover, hope you are well.
Well I am in the UK now and my search for clay or chalk is not going well! I had really hoped to place a big order of original Mavu as well as try other clays, but Mavu Seller doesn't have the stock. I have had no luck so far either in finding any clay chunks in the area I am in. One area I visited I got excited when I spotted a shop selling African things but the lady behind the counter hadn't even heard of eating clay she said. So disappointing.
Thanks again for your kind offer to meet up, but I am down south in Dorset and see that you are in Birmingham so probably not feasible. I was wondering, if you see this in time, if you would be willing to sell me some of the chalks (I like hard ones) and/or clays from your collection - like put together a variety pack lol! Can you let me know? You can contact me here and on email judycha63@gmail.com
I wish there was a clay shop that I could go into openly selling all sorts of clays that people could sample. I am still trying to find the perfect clay for me - original Mavu is close, but still not perfect I have to say. I would like to have a clay that is very earthy, doesn't stick to teeth and gums, and is a bit gritty. I also would like this clay to be natural and not moulded. Does anyone have any suggestions? In particular UK ladies?
Thanks!
Hey ATC! Hope you're well!

I have actually grown to like the soil cakes which is probably what I was expecting anyway.

I know what you mean about being disappointed in not finding anything in the UK, it takes a lot of courage to approach shop keepers too I've been there and felt the disappointment.

On a better note soul Sista is back up and running and I have previously brought a batch of unmoulded clay from her. They come as chunks are crunchy after baking but very smooth at the same time. She emailed me just yesterday telling me that she is still selling! I hope this helps!
mitti lover

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

hello guys,
i have been following up this forum from long time. im frm India and i like multani mitti a lottt...in both the form..baked and unbaked. it is really earthy. i hope to grab some good stuff in my next visit to my hometown nxt month.
All things clay

Lostwithiel, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

UK CLAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ATC! Hope you're well!
I have actually grown to like the soil cakes which is probably what I was expecting anyway.
I know what you mean about being disappointed in not finding anything in the UK, it takes a lot of courage to approach shop keepers too I've been there and felt the disappointment.
On a better note soul Sista is back up and running and I have previously brought a batch of unmoulded clay from her. They come as chunks are crunchy after baking but very smooth at the same time. She emailed me just yesterday telling me that she is still selling! I hope this helps!
I'm glad for you that you have grown to like the soil cakes - it's funny how that happens sometimes, we don't like something new and then grow to really like or love it.

Thanks for letting me know about Soul Sista. I have never contacted her before but will do so to see what she has available.
UK CLAY

Northampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Hi clay forum like everyone else I am on the search for the perfect clay

Have just ordered 6 bags of Roasted Odowa Clay but have never tasted it before! Can somebody please tell me what Odowa tastes like?

I would also be willing to sell this clay if it's not to my likings either. I will be receiving it on Tuesday as it's to be posted on Monday!

@ALL THINGS CLAY I have sent you and email do let me know if you've got it
All things clay

Lostwithiel, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Thanks UK Clay, I have received and replied to your email.
clay yay

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

mitti lover wrote:
hello guys,
i have been following up this forum from long time. im frm India and i like multani mitti a lottt...in both the form..baked and unbaked. it is really earthy. i hope to grab some good stuff in my next visit to my hometown nxt month.
mitti lover...where is your hometown ? What do you mean baked multani mitti
mitti lover

Bangalore, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

hey...my hometown is in India. here we get 2types of multani mitti(fullers clay) unbacked which can be used as face mask...rosted one which ppl.generally eat.

Since: Sep 13

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>@ All thing clay there is a picture of that clay posted on the Facebook forum.@ Soilseeker did you get to taste the ayilo you order at that store online,If so how did it taste?
Hello Mary Tyler, sorry, but I am still out of town and haven't been home to get my mail. I am suppose to go home this coming Wednesday. I can't wait to try the clay I have ordered! I think of it everyday! I really hope I like it. I will post the results as soon as I can. If its not to my taste I would be willing to give it away for only the cost of shipping. I'll let you know!
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

mitti lover wrote:
hey...my hometown is in India. here we get 2types of multani mitti(fullers clay) unbacked which can be used as face mask...rosted one which ppl.generally eat.
@ can you share a photo of it
Rinkie

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Hi mitti lover glad to meet u. I love multani .
I m from india there r found easily multani mitti .ilike baked and unbaked clay .i roast this clay .eat it .yummy crunchy earthy melt i n
mouth
mitti lover

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>@ can you share a photo of it
hi mary...will post d pics once i purchase it next tym...bt now im trying to avoid it by taking aurvedic medicines as i have anemia

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••