Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 20 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6682 Oct 12, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Soilseeker! I got the dirt and sadly, it was very salty. It had a scent to it and I'm not sure if it was vinegar or what, but opening the bag and smelling was enough to turn me away. Aside from the extreme saltiness, the composition of the "clay" tasted more to me like sand. I noticed a little debris in it, but that would have been manageable if I could have been able to eat the product I purchased. Disappointed!:( I'm glad I only bought 2 pounds - the price came to a little less than twenty dollars, so it wasn't a huge loss. I've got 10 pounds of white clay coming on Tuesday, so I won't have to wait much longer to satiate my clay cravings.:)
Also, did you order your white dirt from Mutt and Jeff? The last that I bought from there was not creamy and smooth but had a lot of grit and tasted like chemicals. Please let me know if this is a good batch because theirs is a bargain. I couldn't eat the dirt they sent me, and I still have a lot of it.
Curious

Forest Park, GA

#6683 Oct 12, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, did you order your white dirt from Mutt and Jeff? The last that I bought from there was not creamy and smooth but had a lot of grit and tasted like chemicals. Please let me know if this is a good batch because theirs is a bargain. I couldn't eat the dirt they sent me, and I still have a lot of it.
Put the clay in a paper bag & it'll get rid of the chemically taste plus it'll make it crunchier . I had to do that problem but after a day it was earthy & crunchier . I haven't had white dirt in a while . But I do miss it . Hope this helped .

Since: Sep 13

Reisterstown, MD

#6684 Oct 12, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like harvestgirl is making money off of salty vinegary sandy dirt that nobody can eat! Mine is going in the trash as well. I got my white dirt from goodoledirt.com . If you like the smooth white dirt, theirs seemed pretty good. Very smooth with no grit. I prefer gritty and earthy so I still have what I got from them. I don't know if I'll ever grow to crave it, but I will try it from time to time. My favorite so far is the red soil cake from Mavu Seller.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6685 Oct 12, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like harvestgirl is making money off of salty vinegary sandy dirt that nobody can eat! Mine is going in the trash as well. I got my white dirt from goodoledirt.com . If you like the smooth white dirt, theirs seemed pretty good. Very smooth with no grit. I prefer gritty and earthy so I still have what I got from them. I don't know if I'll ever grow to crave it, but I will try it from time to time. My favorite so far is the red soil cake from Mavu Seller.
Agree
I haven't read a post yet were any one was able to eat eat her clay.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6686 Oct 12, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Put the clay in a paper bag & it'll get rid of the chemically taste plus it'll make it crunchier . I had to do that problem but after a day it was earthy & crunchier . I haven't had white dirt in a while . But I do miss it . Hope this helped .
Thanks, Curious--I tried that but it still tastes bad to me. It was a harder kaolin, not as powdery and fine as usual. The ones I got before this last time were great so I think it was just an off batch. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good supply next time.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6687 Oct 12, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had goodoledirt many times. I have just been trying to make up my mind whether to buy from Amazon or her website. I have Amazon cash saved up but the price for 2 lbs plus shipping is over six dollars higher if you buy from Amazon. Cheaper to buy from the website, but then I have to use my "real" money, lol.
hannahclaylover

Bolton, UK

#6688 Oct 13, 2013
Hey everyone like mavu's facebook page because if it reaches 100 FREE CLAY WILL BE GIVEN OUT its currently at 46. Just click here https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAVU/380522282...
MissMS

Newport News, VA

#6689 Oct 13, 2013
Mechelle Dzoole wrote:
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. If you want to buy White dirt or red dirt, please contact me at Ndukanachi@yahoo.com. The cost is $10.00 per bag plus shipping and handling. This is not the washed kaolin like you buy from the other online dirt companies. This is that good ole dirt!
Does this offer still stand?! I just relocated from MS & I am craving sum good ol red dirt... I've been from sure to sue searching for some REAL red clay. k4klassy@gmail.com
sikor clay

London, UK

#6691 Oct 14, 2013
Seen sikor being mentioned on the forum couple times anybody know wherr it can be purchased?
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#6693 Oct 15, 2013
Finally got the chance to try odowa and I have to say that I am IN LOVE

the bags have come ripped though and it does get everywhere the but the chunks I can suck on ALL DAY so earthy so tasty so creamy yet still gritty!
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6694 Oct 15, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a shipment coming from Mutt and Jeff today. I hope the batch I get is not the way you described it! I'll let you know how it turns out. Amy's dirt was trashed the same day I got it. I wouldn't even try to pass it on to anyone else. Have you found any dirt in the US that is straight from the mine and not processed? I can bake it myself. Truthfully, when I was living in a house (I'm in an apartment now), I was able to dig down deep and get it myself. I lived in Phoenix, AZ a few years ago, and that was the best so far.
Abazieu

Orlando, FL

#6695 Oct 15, 2013
UK CLAY wrote:
Finally got the chance to try odowa and I have to say that I am IN LOVE
the bags have come ripped though and it does get everywhere the but the chunks I can suck on ALL DAY so earthy so tasty so creamy yet still gritty!
Can you post a picture if your odowa so I can see of it is the same kind they say has been banned in the U.S., which is the kind that I like.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6696 Oct 15, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a shipment coming from Mutt and Jeff today. I hope the batch I get is not the way you described it! I'll let you know how it turns out. Amy's dirt was trashed the same day I got it. I wouldn't even try to pass it on to anyone else. Have you found any dirt in the US that is straight from the mine and not processed? I can bake it myself. Truthfully, when I was living in a house (I'm in an apartment now), I was able to dig down deep and get it myself. I lived in Phoenix, AZ a few years ago, and that was the best so far.
The closest to straight from a mine is Leslie's and Wanda's--at least those that I've tried. Also clay chunks from Soul Sista were good, in my opinion. I tried the Calaba chalk from Transmaw and it looked unprocessed but I didn't really like the flavor. I remember my Mom going to the side of a dirt road to dig for clay when I was about 8 years old to send to my pregnant sister. She baked it and let me taste a piece. It was really good--smooth and with a pleasant tang. I am still looking for clay like that and have yet to find it.

Washington, DC

#6697 Oct 15, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest to straight from a mine is Leslie's and Wanda's--at least those that I've tried. Also clay chunks from Soul Sista were good, in my opinion. I tried the Calaba chalk from Transmaw and it looked unprocessed but I didn't really like the flavor. I remember my Mom going to the side of a dirt road to dig for clay when I was about 8 years old to send to my pregnant sister. She baked it and let me taste a piece. It was really good--smooth and with a pleasant tang. I am still looking for clay like that and have yet to find it.
Hello Lovesclay and EbOnyx, can you share Leslie and Wanda's website and what kind of clay do they sell?
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6699 Oct 16, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
I received my white dirt from Mutt & Jeff and I was pleasantly surprised! It had an earthy flavor to it which I hadn't tasted in white dirt I have previously purchased from other places. Please add contact information for Soul Sista and Leslie & Wanda's, I'd like to sample their clay.:)

Since: Oct 13

New York, NY

#6701 Oct 16, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
I received my white dirt from Mutt & Jeff and I was pleasantly surprised! It had an earthy flavor to it which I hadn't tasted in white dirt I have previously purchased from other places. Please add contact information for Soul Sista and Leslie & Wanda's, I'd like to sample their clay.:)
Is it smooth and chalky or gritty?
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6702 Oct 16, 2013
EbOnyx wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it smooth and chalky or gritty?
It's smooth with a little grit.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6703 Oct 17, 2013
Hi all.

I promised to review the clays Id gotten. The white clay from Zambia has an incredibly stroooooong earthy taste which I love. I finished the clay in a week lol.

Im having exams for the next three weeks but have just caught up with comments etc. Im based in Cape Town, South Africa and Ive been thinking... How about I buy all the five or so clays I have at my disposal and try get them to those interested? It will be your clay gift. I dont want to make a profit at all and it will be once off.

Youll need to find out shipping laws, costs for your country because youll pay for all that sadly but nothing extra.

After exams Ill put up my email address, go buy a packet of the various clays and then make a short video with all the clays so you can see them. Ill take pics too. Ill provide the clay's details too like which country its from to its name etc. Each bag or block is R5 which once converted into pounds and dollars isnt bad at all though its the shipping which might suck. Hmmm.

Ill also need help/advice regarding what to use when packaging it but thats also if it this will happen at all. Uhm what else am I forgetting?
Anyway this is just an idea. Tell me what you
think.

Since: Oct 13

New York, NY

#6704 Oct 17, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
Hi all.
I promised to review the clays Id gotten. The white clay from Zambia has an incredibly stroooooong earthy taste which I love. I finished the clay in a week lol.
Im having exams for the next three weeks but have just caught up with comments etc. Im based in Cape Town, South Africa and Ive been thinking... How about I buy all the five or so clays I have at my disposal and try get them to those interested? It will be your clay gift. I dont want to make a profit at all and it will be once off.
Youll need to find out shipping laws, costs for your country because youll pay for all that sadly but nothing extra.
After exams Ill put up my email address, go buy a packet of the various clays and then make a short video with all the clays so you can see them. Ill take pics too. Ill provide the clay's details too like which country its from to its name etc. Each bag or block is R5 which once converted into pounds and dollars isnt bad at all though its the shipping which might suck. Hmmm.
Ill also need help/advice regarding what to use when packaging it but thats also if it this will happen at all. Uhm what else am I forgetting?
think.
I will help in whatever way I can. It's really nice of you to be willing to do this! So far it sounds good. The shipping is going to be the most important thing to find out about, and that varies for people in different areas. What is the name of your postal service?

Reisterstown, MD

#6705 Oct 17, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
Hi all.
think.
I would love to taste the Zambia white clay and anything else you might have! I don't know how to go about shipping cost though . Can you sell through PayPal? That may make it easier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'McDonald's' closes 700 big burger stores in th... 1 hr Tazo 1
News Democratic Lawmakers Pitch $12-an-Hour Minimum-... 10 hr Lawrence Wolf 30
News Alex Beam: No room for fat in the Oval Office 11 hr Tazo 1
News Promotion by visitors bureau touts diversity, o... 12 hr Duke for Mayor 2
News Can a burrito bowl humanize Hillary? 16 hr Tazo 7
News Tennessee Schools Caught Serving 'Foul,' 6-Year... 19 hr Lawrence Wolf 11
News Dickey's Barbecue Pit Opens New Fairmont West V... (Jan '14) 22 hr suck it 77
More from around the web