Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 8975 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Kingsteignton, UK

#6659 Oct 9, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Chalk lover, hope you are well.
Well I am in the UK now and my search for clay or chalk is not going well! I had really hoped to place a big order of original Mavu as well as try other clays, but Mavu Seller doesn't have the stock. I have had no luck so far either in finding any clay chunks in the area I am in. One area I visited I got excited when I spotted a shop selling African things but the lady behind the counter hadn't even heard of eating clay she said. So disappointing.
Thanks again for your kind offer to meet up, but I am down south in Dorset and see that you are in Birmingham so probably not feasible. I was wondering, if you see this in time, if you would be willing to sell me some of the chalks (I like hard ones) and/or clays from your collection - like put together a variety pack lol! Can you let me know? You can contact me here and on email judycha63@gmail.com
I wish there was a clay shop that I could go into openly selling all sorts of clays that people could sample. I am still trying to find the perfect clay for me - original Mavu is close, but still not perfect I have to say. I would like to have a clay that is very earthy, doesn't stick to teeth and gums, and is a bit gritty. I also would like this clay to be natural and not moulded. Does anyone have any suggestions? In particular UK ladies?
Thanks!
Hello all, I am bringing this post forward in case Chalk lover comes on or anyone else has any suggestions or clay or chalk for sale in the UK. My time is running out here and I am trying to find as much clay as I can!

Thanks
Mel

South Africa

#6663 Oct 9, 2013
I just got sum clay from Jhb, its da yellow block clay. It neva cum as big as it usually does, but dis type da clay was so clean and really crisp which I enjoyed and also creamy. At least nw my craving is gone lol until my clay is finished. Anyways hope every1 is enjoying der clay, I knw I am :)
Amy Red Dirt

Monroeville, AL

#6664 Oct 9, 2013
Looking for great tasting red clay? Amy's Red Dirt is your supplier. We have red clay that is from Alabama and is $6.00 a pound. For more info and order request, please contact us a harvestgirl1@live.com.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6665 Oct 9, 2013
Amy Red Dirt wrote:
Looking for great tasting red clay? Amy's Red Dirt is your supplier. We have red clay that is from Alabama and is $6.00 a pound. For more info and order request, please contact us a harvestgirl1@live.com.
@harvestgirl I don't want to offend you, but I seen a picture of your dirt on the other clay forum from someone who purchase your dirt and it wasn't clay at all. It had all kinds of twigs and debris in it.I know its clay that we all eat but that looked very disturbing to me. Where are you digging your clay from and just how deep are you digging?
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#6666 Oct 9, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @harvestgirl I don't want to offend you, but I seen a picture of your dirt on the other clay forum from someone who purchase your dirt and it wasn't clay at all. It had all kinds of twigs and debris in it.I know its clay that we all eat but that looked very disturbing to me. Where are you digging your clay from and just how deep are you digging?
What's the link ?
mitti lover

Bangalore, India

#6667 Oct 9, 2013
Rinkir wrote:
Hi mitti lover .you r indian. Were r u from
yes im from India...Mumbai
a bennett

Louisville, KY

#6668 Oct 10, 2013
As a young child growing up in eastern N.C., we had brick mills around and they'd dig these spots looking for clay. Everyone ate the clay. It was a matter of just going and get it. It was so good but then, seems everyone dropped the habit or craving. I had a heart attack about 2 months ago and right after that, the craving came back. I'd lie in my bed just thinking about it. I looked on line and found goodoledirt.com and I bought a bag. Not the very same taste but man is it GOOD. I'm on my third bag now and the urge is getting stronger. Some days, I'll rush home from work just to get a crumb in my mouth. I'm 63 years old now and I've tried 2 other brands and they were tasteless. Wanda has the best by far.

Since: Sep 13

Reisterstown, MD

#6669 Oct 10, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @harvestgirl I don't want to offend you, but I seen a picture of your dirt on the other clay forum from someone who purchase your dirt and it wasn't clay at all. It had all kinds of twigs and debris in it.I know its clay that we all eat but that looked very disturbing to me. Where are you digging your clay from and just how deep are you digging?
Mary Tyler, I have to agree with you about harvestgirl's dirt. I just got home and hers was one of the three waiting for me. When I opened hers, it's a very deep red dirt with some debris and small twigs. I tasted a small bit of it and it was very salty. Not to my liking at all. I also received ayelo and Cameroon calaba chalk from Transmaw Food Services in Maryland. The calaba chalk had a strong smoky flavor. I know many of you love this taste but I did not care for it at all. The ayelo clay had a taste that was not smoky but still not to my liking. The best clay that I received was from Mavu. I got her red clay chunks. They were nice and gritty, not really earthy, but still a taste that I liked. Hope this info is useful to someone.
Mz libra

United States

#6670 Oct 10, 2013
I'm going to order some of Grandma's white dirt from Sam this weekend. Been eating my cornstarch on and off, making cornstarch chunks and eating it just right out the box.
shabu

Copperas Cove, TX

#6671 Oct 10, 2013
Help me to find out good nakumatt roasted clay..
diatomatious earth

Sunnyvale, CA

#6672 Oct 10, 2013
diatomatious earth wrote:
Hello cray forum I hv an extra pound of DE ( diatomateous earth) powder for whomever wants to try some.I bought some but did not lk the taste..kinda taste lk white dirt with abit of grit but is supposed to be healthier.
If you've never heard of it research/google it and if it meets your fancy all you need to do is pay for the shipping and its yours.
(Ivymburu@hotmail) for any further questions.
Ps you can turn it into chunks by adding water en baking
them.
I nolonger have the DE but if you are curious to know where I got it from let me know.
diatomatious earth

Sunnyvale, CA

#6673 Oct 10, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
Is there any place in Houston where I can buy good, gritty clay? In the past, I have tried the white clay from Georgia, but it is too creamy for me. I'm looking for earthy, brown or yellow clay. Thank you!:)
Try leslie's red dirt..its gritty
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6674 Oct 11, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
I'm going to order some of Grandma's white dirt from Sam this weekend. Been eating my cornstarch on and off, making cornstarch chunks and eating it just right out the box.
How do you make the cornstarch chunks?
Lovesclay

Spring, TX

#6675 Oct 11, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary Tyler, I have to agree with you about harvestgirl's dirt. I just got home and hers was one of the three waiting for me. When I opened hers, it's a very deep red dirt with some debris and small twigs. I tasted a small bit of it and it was very salty. Not to my liking at all. I also received ayelo and Cameroon calaba chalk from Transmaw Food Services in Maryland. The calaba chalk had a strong smoky flavor. I know many of you love this taste but I did not care for it at all. The ayelo clay had a taste that was not smoky but still not to my liking. The best clay that I received was from Mavu. I got her red clay chunks. They were nice and gritty, not really earthy, but still a taste that I liked. Hope this info is useful to someone.
Soilseeker, I have some of Amy's dirt coming to me today...I'm going to be DEVASTATED if it's salty...:(...What is it with salt being added to soil anyway? Is that a further measure to kill bacteria? It can't be for preservative reasons, it's dirt! Lol! I'd like earth flavoured clay, please! How do you order internationally? Can you use your credit card and it automatically converts the currency? Questions, questions!:)
Mz libra

United States

#6676 Oct 11, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you make the cornstarch chunks?
go to YT and look up cornstarch chunks several videos on making them. They come out looking like white clay chunks they taste soooooooooooooooo good!!!! The best cornstarch to use is Argo in the box or great value

Since: Sep 13

Reisterstown, MD

#6677 Oct 11, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Soilseeker, I have some of Amy's dirt coming to me today...I'm going to be DEVASTATED if it's salty...:(...What is it with salt being added to soil anyway? Is that a further measure to kill bacteria? It can't be for preservative reasons, it's dirt! Lol! I'd like earth flavoured clay, please! How do you order internationally? Can you use your credit card and it automatically converts the currency? Questions, questions!:)
Hi Lovesclay, yes my dirt from harvestgirl was very salty with debri in it. I was very dissapointed. Let me know if you have better luck. When I order international, I went online to a currency converter site to figure out how much it would cost in US dollars. I'm very careful of who I purchase from and I only trust sites that let you pay through PayPal because I have been burned before. Good Luck!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6678 Oct 11, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the link ?
Why we crave & love clay - Facebook
All things clay

Kingsteignton, UK

#6679 Oct 12, 2013
Hello all, I would just like to say thanks to a few ladies here:

First to UK Clay, as due to a message from her I was prompted to contact Soul Sista to enquire about clay.

Next to Soul Sista herself, who I would like to thank for her excellent customer service extended to me in getting clay to me within my time frame. I had never tried the two types that she sells, and to be frank with the first bite didn't think I would like the moulded clay (quite strong smoky, roasted taste) but I soon found that I had quickly acquired a taste for it! Woke up craving it last night, but resisted.

I also like the clay in its natural state that I got from Soul Sista, although I will bake it to hopefully make it crunchier and bring out the flavour more.

Next I would thank a lady here who is not a supplier but who sold me some Indian Black/Grey roasted clay from her personal supply. Thank you so much! I LOVE this clay, it is so crunchy with just the right amount of grittiness for me before turning smooth. I like the flavour of it too. It is very crunchy - good for people who like harder clay I would say.

I have been overindulging in clay the past couple of days, but I don't feel too bad about it because - as is my usual practice with all new clays that I try - I have just been chewing rather than swallowing the clay.

Unfortunately it has not worked out in getting Mavu clay this time - by the time I realized that she had more stock there wasn't enough time to order it.
Lovesclay

Cypress, TX

#6680 Oct 12, 2013
Soilseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Lovesclay, yes my dirt from harvestgirl was very salty with debri in it. I was very dissapointed. Let me know if you have better luck. When I order international, I went online to a currency converter site to figure out how much it would cost in US dollars. I'm very careful of who I purchase from and I only trust sites that let you pay through PayPal because I have been burned before. Good Luck!
Thanks Soilseeker! I got the dirt and sadly, it was very salty. It had a scent to it and I'm not sure if it was vinegar or what, but opening the bag and smelling was enough to turn me away. Aside from the extreme saltiness, the composition of the "clay" tasted more to me like sand. I noticed a little debris in it, but that would have been manageable if I could have been able to eat the product I purchased. Disappointed!:( I'm glad I only bought 2 pounds - the price came to a little less than twenty dollars, so it wasn't a huge loss. I've got 10 pounds of white clay coming on Tuesday, so I won't have to wait much longer to satiate my clay cravings.:)
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6681 Oct 12, 2013
Lovesclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Soilseeker! I got the dirt and sadly, it was very salty. It had a scent to it and I'm not sure if it was vinegar or what, but opening the bag and smelling was enough to turn me away. Aside from the extreme saltiness, the composition of the "clay" tasted more to me like sand. I noticed a little debris in it, but that would have been manageable if I could have been able to eat the product I purchased. Disappointed!:( I'm glad I only bought 2 pounds - the price came to a little less than twenty dollars, so it wasn't a huge loss. I've got 10 pounds of white clay coming on Tuesday, so I won't have to wait much longer to satiate my clay cravings.:)
I purchased 2 pounds as well, and can't eat it. She advertised "sour clay" and it DID smell like vinegar. I can't be sure, but it makes me wonder if the vinegar was added (like the salt) because the natural sour taste that some clay has doesn't smell like that. At any rate, it is going in the garbage. I have tried many different types of clay and soil, but this is like dark red loose sand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
growing great 1 hr Mona Day 1
News McDonald's: Watch moment chicken called Nugget ... 4 hr Arbin Larfin 4
News Farm to Table: An all-local, all-natural hotdog 16 hr Utica Famous 1
News Bernie Sanders' campaign kickoff full of symbolism Tue fatbacksx 2
News Neighbors sue farmer over 'cannon' to keep away... (Sep '07) Tue F Idiots 48
News Rollin' on the river Mon Rachael 2
News Hampden's Alchemy opening restaurant in Bel Air Mon Rachael 2
More from around the web