Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,752
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Meh

Ashburn, VA

#6436 Aug 9, 2013
Clay Yay wrote:
Ha Ha...Tough Luck !! It is extreeeeeemely addictive so wish you all the best. Which brand did you get and aren't you from Delhi ?
no, i am from gurgaon. The brand was somewhat 'jyoti'. Crunchy and non sticky but less earthy!
Alabama Red

Bessemer, AL

#6437 Aug 9, 2013
Back from vacation & still patiently waiting on the Nakumatt clay to arrive.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6438 Aug 10, 2013
That makes two of us.
Mary Tyler

Lumberton, TX

#6439 Aug 10, 2013
@MARY CLAY EATER
Where can I PURCHASE this Tongo clay it looks so good.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6440 Aug 10, 2013
Ladies excuse the absense, its been pretty hectic with studies and all. Ive had my three clays for almost a week now, been eating the two clays everyday twice a day; in the morning after breakfast before I leave for clays & in the evening too once i get back. I couldnt find myself liking the salted roasted clay so I threw it out.

In the past two days ive been having back tummy cramps and feeling very nauseous . So ive decided to stop eating my clays from today going forward to see if I feel better.

Hope everyone is ok.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6441 Aug 11, 2013
NzuLoveer wrote:
<quoted text> email me at ody_ejim@yahoo.com
Hello

But why must I email you Nzuloveer?
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6442 Aug 11, 2013
As promised an update on the other two clays:

Well the one from joburg which comes as a block has a deeper colour, it tasted earthy when I just bought it but has somewhat gradually lost it earthiness. Its very light in that its non sticky well maybe sticky just a little. Its very smooth, no gritt. I crushed it into smaller pieces as its easier to eat than having to bit into a square block.

The second clay is the one from Zim. Looks almost grey but very light. Its sticky but soooooo earthy and retains that earthiness. It has a crunch to but quickly disolves. Perhaps Ive been eating too much of it hence im not feeling too good. All in all they taste the same though theyve never made me sick before so i dont know :(

I was hoping id be torturing myself reading tge updates on the nakumatt. Hope it arrives soon.
Sikod

Bristol, UK

#6443 Aug 11, 2013
Does anyone know where I mcan buy baked clay tablets also known as Shikor Mati in the UK ????
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6444 Aug 12, 2013
I never thought twice about lead poisoning till these past four days. I am actually a little shaken because I love clay and im wondering after this bad experience with it how ill ever go back to eating it because lets face it i buy it and everytime i do ill be taking a chance if it being conteminated. The painful tummy and nausea kept me in bed today. I did a pretty stupid thing but well the clay from zim I finished so im left with the joburg clay, i know i said id stop but i was just craving a little chunk. I had a little chunk and it left me so ill. It makes sense that this would be the culprit of my lead poisoning because ive head its dug near mines. Sigh, it might be a sign that i should just stop with this. I threw everything out so now im without any kind of clay.
Clayer 2

Johannesburg, South Africa

#6445 Aug 13, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
I never thought twice about lead poisoning till these past four days. I am actually a little shaken because I love clay and im wondering after this bad experience with it how ill ever go back to eating it because lets face it i buy it and everytime i do ill be taking a chance if it being conteminated. The painful tummy and nausea kept me in bed today. I did a pretty stupid thing but well the clay from zim I finished so im left with the joburg clay, i know i said id stop but i was just craving a little chunk. I had a little chunk and it left me so ill. It makes sense that this would be the culprit of my lead poisoning because ive head its dug near mines. Sigh, it might be a sign that i should just stop with this. I threw everything out so now im without any kind of clay.
i hope you manage to stop because the clay from JHB is not good if you just eat it straight without cleaning it and cooking it-till it roasts. when i used to eat it i would find lots of funny things that i would seive out using a spoon, believe me once you melt it in water you will see what i'm talking about (Enough water to melt it,not too much). i used to clean it and cook it till it roasted to kill whatever would be in it. I thank God my cravings are gone. i feel so free now.i kind of understand why people get shocked when we tell them we eat clay-it feels funny once you stop. to think you used to go all out. now i have faith that anyone can stop because i used to be a crazy addict. i would think about clay 24/7.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6446 Aug 13, 2013
Hello all, I've been reading but haven't posted in a while.

My chalk cravings have gone crazy, so much so that I have trouble finding enough chalk to buy. It's so good, and sometimes I swallow but mostly now I try to spit it out because I've been having so much and all that chalk in the system can't be good.

I am so excited: later today I will get to try real white dirt from Georgia! I've had kaolin powder before, but not Georgia chunks but had family travelling in Georgia recently (I have confessed my clay habits to some of my relatives) and they were able to get some for me! I don't know what type it is, but can't wait!
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#6447 Aug 13, 2013
Hi everyone! Like All things clay I've been reading but haven't posted in awhile. I've gone through 3 boxes of cornstarch in the last month. Just recently purchased arrowroot powder and tried that. It's not bad I have to say. I think I'm going back to white dirt. My A1C level was 6.0 which isn't bad but I know it's from the cornstarch. Wish I could give up this Pica struggle all together.....
Picza

Warwick, UK

#6448 Aug 13, 2013
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6449 Aug 14, 2013
All things clay wrote:
Hello all, I've been reading but haven't posted in a while.
My chalk cravings have gone crazy, so much so that I have trouble finding enough chalk to buy. It's so good, and sometimes I swallow but mostly now I try to spit it out because I've been having so much and all that chalk in the system can't be good.
I am so excited: later today I will get to try real white dirt from Georgia! I've had kaolin powder before, but not Georgia chunks but had family travelling in Georgia recently (I have confessed my clay habits to some of my relatives) and they were able to get some for me! I don't know what type it is, but can't wait!
Well ladies I got my white dirt - it is Granny's Own type.

I couldn't wait to rip into one of the bags, although I was trying not to get my hopes up. I like it, but I can't say that I love it yet - I prefer my chalk actually. This has happened before though, I try a clay or similar and feel disappointed at first then get addicted.

The dirt is harder than I expected, but a nice texture and it feels good to bite into it. It's messy though, can't really eat it discreetly like I can with the chalk. To me it tastes just like the kaolin powder, except in chunk form.

I was expecting the dirt to be earthier. I know I've read here about ways to bring out the earthiness. Can I have suggestions please? Should I put in a paper bag? Bake it?

Thanks.
Alabama Red

Bessemer, AL

#6450 Aug 14, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>@ Alabama Red I'm awaiting for your reponse about the namukett clay .. plz post ..
I finally received my Nakumatt clay order from Mavu today. It taste like the roasted/smoke ayilo. The clay is much harder to bite into its gritty and very crunchy. Im not a fan but Let me know if you would like to try it. I still have your email address & will follow-up with you.
Clayholic

Newtownabbey, UK

#6451 Aug 15, 2013
Hi there....
I guess this time mavu had really made her postage charges too high just because everyone was exited about the nakumat....tell me the postage charges all over is 4.50 to any place same in uk also how is it possible .....or in US also and the delivery took time....this time round I didn't find the rates convincing....what's everyone's opinion...

Since: Oct 12

East Ham, UK

#6452 Aug 15, 2013
Clayholic wrote:
Hi there....
I guess this time mavu had really made her postage charges too high just because everyone was exited about the nakumat....tell me the postage charges all over is 4.50 to any place same in uk also how is it possible .....or in US also and the delivery took time....this time round I didn't find the rates convincing....what's everyone's opinion...
I agree with you clayaholic. It doesn't make any sense . It's even more costly that 1st class delivery . Anyway my clay never arrived to begin with so I give up. Hoping a friend will bring me some when return from holiday in kenya .
Mary Tyler

Orange, TX

#6453 Aug 15, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
I finally received my Nakumatt clay order from Mavu today. It taste like the roasted/smoke ayilo. The clay is much harder to bite into its gritty and very crunchy. Im not a fan but Let me know if you would like to try it. I still have your email address & will follow-up with you.
Thanks I would like to try some (smoke/roasted is my favorite).Give me a follow-up
Alabama Read

Bessemer, AL

#6454 Aug 16, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks I would like to try some (smoke/roasted is my favorite).Give me a follow-up
Hi Mary I sent a message to your email kenzie.
Nzu loveeeee

Arlington, TX

#6455 Aug 16, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
As promised an update on the other two clays:
Well the one from joburg which comes as a block has a deeper colour, it tasted earthy when I just bought it but has somewhat gradually lost it earthiness. Its very light in that its non sticky well maybe sticky just a little. Its very smooth, no gritt. I crushed it into smaller pieces as its easier to eat than having to bit into a square block.
The second clay is the one from Zim. Looks almost grey but very light. Its sticky but soooooo earthy and retains that earthiness. It has a crunch to but quickly disolves. Perhaps Ive been eating too much of it hence im not feeling too good. All in all they taste the same though theyve never made me sick before so i dont know :(
I was hoping id be torturing myself reading tge updates on the nakumatt. Hope it arrives soon.
do you have any nzu or any clay cause I really want to try a sample of some

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogs go to heaven, Pope Francis says 3 hr cooldude 5
News Hits: Schuette OKs school taxes for new Re... 5 hr Art Lafler 2
Food Dehydrator (Oct '10) Tue Pavlos Lombardi 2
Japanese Cherry Blossoms Tue SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 2
McD's burger on chopping block Tue Intelligent Stand... 1
Woman Cooking Sees Deer Run in Her Bathroom Tue Adrian Godsafe MSc 18
Culver's 'Butter Burgers' come to Tampa; shops ... Tue Not For Long 2
More from around the web