Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,827
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story

Since: Jun 13

Mooresville, NC

#6506 Aug 27, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I have tried putting some in a paper bag and also baked some, but what I haven't tried yet is putting the baked clay in a paper bag so will try that.
I love how crunchy the white dirt is, just wish it was more to my taste. Are you saying that the red dirt isn't as hard and crunchy? Sounds like it would be perfect if it was.
Yes put the baked clay in the paper bag. It seems like the longer it is in the bag the better. It still isn't as earthy as what I first expected but it seems like it is exactly what I want now.

Even after I baked the red it wasn't as hard and crunchy. That may have been because its texture was so different than the white. It crumbled rather than staying in big chunks. It had some grit to it and this batch had some kaolin streaks in it. Different in a good way.

Since: Feb 13

London, UK

#6507 Aug 29, 2013
Hi All!

I know I've been a little quiet over here but just letting you know MAVU is under maintenance as we have SALE coming on and a review over those postage prices! Will see if I can make some feasible adjustments! Keep your eyes peeled!

MavuSeller
Alabama Red

Bessemer, AL

#6508 Aug 29, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
Hi All!
I know I've been a little quiet over here but just letting you know MAVU is under maintenance as we have SALE coming on and a review over those postage prices! Will see if I can make some feasible adjustments! Keep your eyes peeled!
MavuSeller
Great!!!
kashish

London, UK

#6509 Aug 30, 2013
dnt eat mitti or clay it causes stomach cancer as wel as constipation prblem.
Nzu lover

Towcester, UK

#6510 Aug 30, 2013
Chalk lover wrote:
Hi all,
For those in the US who would like to try some of the cylinder shaped clay I wrote about in an earlier post, here are the details for postage costs:
postage for 1 bag $5.21
2 bags $6.09
3 bags $6.97
4 bags $7.86
5 bags $10.66
6 bags $10.66
These prices or for postage only. The postage is the cheapest via air mail and there is no tracking available.
Each bag is 2.00/$3.16
Hope this is more clear.
God bless
Does anyone know of this person is still selling and where I can contact her from?
clay yay

Chennai, India

#6511 Aug 30, 2013
Mavuseller...what products do we hope to see in the sale ?
ivie

Sunnyvale, CA

#6512 Aug 30, 2013
Is good ole dirt from wanda sour or is it leslie's white or red dirt? I want to buy some just don't knw from whom..
Rinkie

Delhi, India

#6513 Aug 31, 2013
Hi munni were r u
kashish

Ashburn, VA

#6514 Aug 31, 2013
hye girls
i m frm mumbai in india. i used to hav grey black baked multani mitti or clay. it is vry cheap in prize. i m having since i was ten yr old. this clay is vry tasty n crunchy once u hav it u would like to hav it again n again. u will find this clay in mumbai anywhr in chana wala shop. And yes u can find it in pune, nasik, ahemdabad, gujrat at any shop.
kashish

Ashburn, VA

#6515 Aug 31, 2013
i knw craving of havin clay is bad habit. i hav had lot of gray baked clay n still i feel the same craving of clay. but i can not eat it because now i m having the constipation problem. my digestiv system is not working properly due to having this clay. my grand mother told me that eating clay causes stomach cancer n constipation as well as anemia problem. so plz girls stop having clay its very dangerous for health.
zzz

Abuja, Nigeria

#6516 Aug 31, 2013
I too love the smell of sand after it rains, I love the smell of paint, petrol, nail varnish-but no, I refrain from sniffing them as I know the harmful effects. I eat clay- the gray type and crave uncooked cereal so i eat that too. I'm female.
zzz

Abuja, Nigeria

#6517 Aug 31, 2013
as with everything, moderation....
TwinsOTW

Franklin, TN

#6518 Sep 1, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
Hi All!
MavuSeller
I have been waiting on an order of red soil cakes for a little over a week now and can't wait. I am pregnant with twins and can't find anything to suit my cravings! The Georgia dirt was disappointing to me, as well as cornstarch. I paid 13 US dollars for the soil cakes and thought that was very reasonable (from MAVU) of course. I check the mail so much my husband asked me if I was expecting money LOL I would love to try some odowa also!
Abi clay

Bronx, NY

#6519 Sep 1, 2013
TwinsOTW wrote:
<quoted text> I have been waiting on an order of red soil cakes for a little over a week now and can't wait. I am pregnant with twins and can't find anything to suit my cravings! The Georgia dirt was disappointing to me, as well as cornstarch. I paid 13 US dollars for the soil cakes and thought that was very reasonable (from MAVU) of course. I check the mail so much my husband asked me if I was expecting money LOL I would love to try some odowa also!
Hi,
It will be best if you eat in moderation. Because been pregnant and eating clay is unhealthy. But I understand your cravings. I have been tripping the African market in my area just to get hold of the ghana clay. It feels very awkward when you walk to the counter to pay the the cashier looks at you in a certain way. But will definitely pass by today to try getting myself some gray clay from ghana. I can't control my cravings.
TwinsOTW

Franklin, TN

#6520 Sep 1, 2013
Abi clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
It will be best if you eat in moderation. Because been pregnant and eating clay is unhealthy. But I understand your cravings. I have been tripping the African market in my area just to get hold of the ghana clay. It feels very awkward when you walk to the counter to pay the the cashier looks at you in a certain way. But will definitely pass by today to try getting myself some gray clay from ghana. I can't control my cravings.
I have tried bentonite chunks and the white georgia dirt and they both tasted very similar. I have barely consumed crumbs lol. Im hoping the soil cakes are what im looking for because i will probably just nibble them. I take a ton of vitamins and supplements and drink a lot of water. This will be my 5th and 6th child and we are done!! Lol i have craved dirt or clay with each pregnancy and my dr says my blood looks great so its def a mystery!!
nolofatso

Europe

#6521 Sep 2, 2013
am a girl aged 17 i eat clay i want to stop but i cant pliz help

Since: Aug 13

Incheon, Korea

#6522 Sep 2, 2013
I think it's maybe a little bit strange. Ice Cream would be better.
UK CLAY

Towcester, UK

#6523 Sep 2, 2013
Hi everyone have just spent the last week reading through everyone's comments

Feels good to know that there are other people out there that share the same cravings as me as I know how crazy I can get when not having any

Me personally I like the gritty and crunchy kind not the smooth, as I've been grown to have the black roasted clay from back home

Does anybody know what the best kind of gritty crunchy roasted burnt kind of clay I would be able to find in the UK. I have tastes Soul Sistas Ayilp but it isn't roasted although very tasty and will be orderimg from her again as the grittiness is awesome!

:)
Udz

Warwick, UK

#6524 Sep 2, 2013
I am soon moving back to Kenya and after being abroad for so long and not being able to get clay I am happy it will now be at my disposal.

It is really stressful to get clay here and for me since I will be able to get as much clay as I like I would like to help you ladies out. For those who are Kenyan i can get Nakumatt Clay, its very smooth and earthy though some packets are very gritty therefore I can cater to both different tastes depending on what you like, there is Tuskys clay, Ebrahims Clay and the Udongo Clay sold by the ladies on the market. For those who are not Kenyan, I plan to post pictures and you can see the different clays I am talking about.

I would just like to know how many of you would be interested in buying the clay. I aim to offer the true market value of the clay, as I'm sure some of you know how cheap the prices are for clay in Africa, n the additional cost on your part will be the shipping cost.

I am to do this because I know what it feels like to crave Clay and not be in a position to get any, and the ones that are available do not really suit your prefferences. I have been on Iron tablets for a while but they dont seem to work that well and one of the things I am really excited about is the chance to get as much clay as I want, and I'd like to help you guys out if you have been in the same position as me, craving clay so badly, the thought of it makes your mouth water, but you cant get any access to it.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6525 Sep 2, 2013
Udz wrote:
I am soon moving back to Kenya and after being abroad for so long and not being able to get clay I am happy it will now be at my disposal.
It is really stressful to get clay here and for me since I will be able to get as much clay as I like I would like to help you ladies out. For those who are Kenyan i can get Nakumatt Clay, its very smooth and earthy though some packets are very gritty therefore I can cater to both different tastes depending on what you like, there is Tuskys clay, Ebrahims Clay and the Udongo Clay sold by the ladies on the market. For those who are not Kenyan, I plan to post pictures and you can see the different clays I am talking about.
I would just like to know how many of you would be interested in buying the clay. I aim to offer the true market value of the clay, as I'm sure some of you know how cheap the prices are for clay in Africa, n the additional cost on your part will be the shipping cost.
I am to do this because I know what it feels like to crave Clay and not be in a position to get any, and the ones that are available do not really suit your prefferences. I have been on Iron tablets for a while but they dont seem to work that well and one of the things I am really excited about is the chance to get as much clay as I want, and I'd like to help you guys out if you have been in the same position as me, craving clay so badly, the thought of it makes your mouth water, but you cant get any access to it.
I, for one, would be exceedingly grateful to be able to order from you. It would only be fair that you make some profit for your time though, because you will likely be inundated with orders. This habit is often stressful, time-consuming, and very expensive but I still want to try every kind I can get my hands on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The First Sushi Restaurant on a Japanese Colleg... 25 min Ainu 21
Innovation and opportunities shared at Halton R... 50 min most sold out alr... 1
Vietnam's shrimp king courts foreign investors 5 hr bac ky lim N V thieu 1
Trip Tips: On the trail of Solidarnosc in Gdansk 8 hr The Iron Dicky 1
As weather gets warmer, it's prime time for patios (Mar '14) 8 hr bryanflake 2
White House hopefuls heading for New Hampshire 10 hr BUBBA 1
Unique Ideas for Valentine's Day in Toronto 16 hr Ron 1
More from around the web