Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
6,081 - 6,100 of 8,108 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Miley

London, UK

#6396 Jul 27, 2013
I have finally controlled my cravings.. Feels great.. You all should try iron supplements . I had womens horlicks which had iron... Must try for those who want to stop their cravingss..
Phelisa

UK

#6397 Jul 28, 2013
I hav a habit of eating soil, when I did its lyk its after a summer rain that smell of water through soil makes m crave it more. If I get soil I rather take raw sugar. But am worried abt my health. Tel m the risk of eating soil & raw sugar.
Rachel

Leeds, UK

#6398 Jul 28, 2013
Meh wrote:
<quoted text> hello siya, you are not alone! Many of us in this forum have been facing this problem! We have been stucked inbetween the urge to stop and the taste/habbit. I agree fullers earth is very addictive but i dont think there is any connection between typhoid and fuller's! Regarding the advice to stop it as what you wrote you may include iron tablets or more green vegetables in your diet and drinking atleast 2 ltr of water acc to your age on your daily basis! I believe the more you have the more you crave so simply control and don't buy!:) i knw writing this is easy rather doing it :D but still all the best!and for your face prob. you cn apply multani mitti along with aloevera and lemonjuice on face that works naturaly and dosnt harm like other creams do
Try mavuseller she has 6 types of clay
zaheera

Ashfield, UK

#6399 Jul 29, 2013
Does anyone know clay supplier in uk rather tgen soulsista n mavu..please let me know
clay4life

UK

#6400 Jul 29, 2013
zaheera wrote:
Does anyone know clay supplier in uk rather tgen soulsista n mavu..please let me know
Ooo don't think u are goin to have any luck with that. Only because Soulsista and Mavu are the only legit and reputable UK clay sellers on here and I think we can agree that if there was any other suppliers they would have been mentioned by now. Mayb try the afroshops around your area. Good luck

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6401 Jul 29, 2013
They have information of different sellers on Facebook why we crave clay forum.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6402 Jul 29, 2013
Hello everybody

The next three weeks are going to be insanely stressful for me. I am going to break my no clay eatin rule for a bit, plus it was my birthday and I think Id like two kinds of different clays so when I get the time I hope this week, I will get the mavu and the block clay. Both are very smooth and earthy. Though the mavu is thicker here and the block clay has a more thinner feel to it as it doesnt stick together too much.

Plus everyones updates on their nakumatt has me salivating lol. Ladies please share more clay stories, like Alexx hows your clay? Plus share more chalk and cornstarch stories pleeease. I find everyones pica stories fascinating.

I find that raw carrots help with my clay cravings sometimes, along with other raw veggies.

Is it true that with cornstarch one tends to often pick up weight? Ive been procrastinating and watching so many of those youtube videos on corn starch, the chunks look so good. How does cornstarch taste? Lol I already know Argo is a lot of peoples favourite.

I hope everyone has been fine both pica-wise and otherwise.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6403 Jul 29, 2013
Curious wrote:
Do you ladies like clay chunks or clay powder and why?
call me crazy but i preffer the crunch i get when biting into and chewing clay. As well well as how it slowly melts in my mouth. I feel like the earthiness is somewhat lost if its powder and if its in chunk form every bite just releases fresh earthiness. I guess i love the earthy taste more than the texture. It needs to be earthy because when it has that bagged taste to it I tend too not eat it
bhajki mati lover

Poona, India

#6404 Jul 30, 2013
Hey
I am passionate about bhajki mati (grey roasted clay)
And really mad to have it
It is available in pune, nashik, Mumbai of Maharashtra state of India
But collected from some part of rajastan
Can you tell me how to order it in other cities
Alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#6405 Jul 30, 2013
Hello all, just wanted to say that I might be quitting to eating clay. My mom said she's been feeling weak and that she's going to start taking iron pills and I'm going to join her. Stop this crave and this habit. The batch I have now it's only a little bit left. I felt like I ate a pound of clay too fast when I usually eat it within a month but now its in a week or two. Which is really bad according to me. But this batch is my last batch that I will ever eat. I hope this goes good for me. I wish everybody the best of luck to who's stopping this habit too and I hope everybody enjoys their clay. Especially the nakumatt clay.
Alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#6406 Jul 30, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
Hello everybody
The next three weeks are going to be insanely stressful for me. I am going to break my no clay eatin rule for a bit, plus it was my birthday and I think Id like two kinds of different clays so when I get the time I hope this week, I will get the mavu and the block clay. Both are very smooth and earthy. Though the mavu is thicker here and the block clay has a more thinner feel to it as it doesnt stick together too much.
Plus everyones updates on their nakumatt has me salivating lol. Ladies please share more clay stories, like Alexx hows your clay? Plus share more chalk and cornstarch stories pleeease. I find everyones pica stories fascinating.
I find that raw carrots help with my clay cravings sometimes, along with other raw veggies.
Is it true that with cornstarch one tends to often pick up weight? Ive been procrastinating and watching so many of those youtube videos on corn starch, the chunks look so good. How does cornstarch taste? Lol I already know Argo is a lot of peoples favourite.
I hope everyone has been fine both pica-wise and otherwise.
I crushed up all my big chunks to fine powder thinking it'll be better that way but I notice that I'm missing the sour taste along with my earthiness. But I'm still enjoying it. It's my last batch of clay because I'm quitting this habit.
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#6407 Jul 30, 2013
Alexx wrote:
Hello all, just wanted to say that I might be quitting to eating clay. My mom said she's been feeling weak and that she's going to start taking iron pills and I'm going to join her. Stop this crave and this habit. The batch I have now it's only a little bit left. I felt like I ate a pound of clay too fast when I usually eat it within a month but now its in a week or two. Which is really bad according to me. But this batch is my last batch that I will ever eat. I hope this goes good for me. I wish everybody the best of luck to who's stopping this habit too and I hope everybody enjoys their clay. Especially the nakumatt clay.
Good for you Alex!!!
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6408 Jul 31, 2013
Phelisa wrote:
I hav a habit of eating soil, when I did its lyk its after a summer rain that smell of water through soil makes m crave it more. If I get soil I rather take raw sugar. But am worried abt my health. Tel m the risk of eating soil & raw sugar.
Im not sure I follow you but just generally one should try limit their sugar intake perhaps you could try more raw veggies and fruit. With soil well there have been findings of lead in some clays so it will depend on what youre consuming.

Im no pro I just try to bake mine to kill whatever may be in my clay and to limit constipation as its a real factor when you eat clay/ soil etc I try limit the amount and frequency I consume the clay and ensuring I keep hydrated. Where do you get your soil Phelisa@
Ebere

UK

#6409 Aug 1, 2013
The problem people are having withthe clay is that a lot of fake ones are out there unfortunately.
a lot of people that sell it in the UK and US mix it with some sand or earth. That is bound to create problmes.
I have been eating clay since i was little and when i moved to the UK i make sure i always buy from back home in Nigeria. I go for the right stuff and buy enough to last me till i go back home again.
There has been warning yes concerning nzu but i believe the reports were based on the mixtures being sold all over europe and as i can see now, even in the US.
zaheera

Ashfield, UK

#6410 Aug 1, 2013
Alexx wrote:
all the best for you hope it gets easy to leave away this habit...
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#6411 Aug 1, 2013
Ebere wrote:
The problem people are having withthe clay is that a lot of fake ones are out there unfortunately.
a lot of people that sell it in the UK and US mix it with some sand or earth. That is bound to create problmes.
I have been eating clay since i was little and when i moved to the UK i make sure i always buy from back home in Nigeria. I go for the right stuff and buy enough to last me till i go back home again.
There has been warning yes concerning nzu but believe the reports were based on the mixtures being sold all over europe and as i can see now, even in the US.
@ Ebere can you go into details about the mixing of the clay .which ones you know that is mix with other earth &sand that shouldnt be? What Type of clay do you get from Nigeria that isnt mixed ? Ayilo is mixed but I thought that was always the orginal way it was made .The Red soil Cake is molded too.
zaheera

Ashfield, UK

#6412 Aug 1, 2013
Ebere wrote:
There has been warning yes concerning nzu but i believe the reports were based on the mixtures being sold all over europe and as i can see now, even in the US.
oh thats really sad.....but its great you get your stock from the source itself lucky you its really difficult to get hold of clay here ..
clay4life

UK

#6413 Aug 1, 2013
Yeah I agree. It's best to get the clay from the source country.
clay pots

Colorado Springs, CO

#6414 Aug 1, 2013
I don't think it's strange for you to like that I do too I eat it a lot! I find myself trying to break Mexican flower pots particularly brown ones. I remember a year ago I found black stuff in the middle of the pot it was led I avoided it but I never found that in any other pot. Evidently I'm a dietician and there's no harm to it. Just be carful you don't chip a tooth ! Happy eating!!!!!
clay pots

Colorado Springs, CO

#6415 Aug 1, 2013
also I've been eating it for ten years and as long as you maintain a healthy diet and drink LOTS OF WATER it won't be serious

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Organization to only prep Black children for su... 3 hr double standard 1
What's your favorite dessert? 6 hr blub 13
Shake shops becoming cool spots to hang out (May '11) 14 hr Dave Campbell 82
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban 14 hr Here Is One 185
Lukin's Brick Oven Pizza & Lounge to Open on Va... (Oct '12) 17 hr LOL 33
Volunteers needed for Smokin' JazzVolunteers ne... 17 hr gcbakop 1
First Saturday, Free Barre Class: Your Weekend (Aug '13) 20 hr Vicki Otto 4
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••