Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9021 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6403 Jul 29, 2013
Curious wrote:
Do you ladies like clay chunks or clay powder and why?
call me crazy but i preffer the crunch i get when biting into and chewing clay. As well well as how it slowly melts in my mouth. I feel like the earthiness is somewhat lost if its powder and if its in chunk form every bite just releases fresh earthiness. I guess i love the earthy taste more than the texture. It needs to be earthy because when it has that bagged taste to it I tend too not eat it
bhajki mati lover

Poona, India

#6404 Jul 30, 2013
Hey
I am passionate about bhajki mati (grey roasted clay)
And really mad to have it
It is available in pune, nashik, Mumbai of Maharashtra state of India
But collected from some part of rajastan
Can you tell me how to order it in other cities
Alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#6405 Jul 30, 2013
Hello all, just wanted to say that I might be quitting to eating clay. My mom said she's been feeling weak and that she's going to start taking iron pills and I'm going to join her. Stop this crave and this habit. The batch I have now it's only a little bit left. I felt like I ate a pound of clay too fast when I usually eat it within a month but now its in a week or two. Which is really bad according to me. But this batch is my last batch that I will ever eat. I hope this goes good for me. I wish everybody the best of luck to who's stopping this habit too and I hope everybody enjoys their clay. Especially the nakumatt clay.
Alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#6406 Jul 30, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
Hello everybody
The next three weeks are going to be insanely stressful for me. I am going to break my no clay eatin rule for a bit, plus it was my birthday and I think Id like two kinds of different clays so when I get the time I hope this week, I will get the mavu and the block clay. Both are very smooth and earthy. Though the mavu is thicker here and the block clay has a more thinner feel to it as it doesnt stick together too much.
Plus everyones updates on their nakumatt has me salivating lol. Ladies please share more clay stories, like Alexx hows your clay? Plus share more chalk and cornstarch stories pleeease. I find everyones pica stories fascinating.
I find that raw carrots help with my clay cravings sometimes, along with other raw veggies.
Is it true that with cornstarch one tends to often pick up weight? Ive been procrastinating and watching so many of those youtube videos on corn starch, the chunks look so good. How does cornstarch taste? Lol I already know Argo is a lot of peoples favourite.
I hope everyone has been fine both pica-wise and otherwise.
I crushed up all my big chunks to fine powder thinking it'll be better that way but I notice that I'm missing the sour taste along with my earthiness. But I'm still enjoying it. It's my last batch of clay because I'm quitting this habit.
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#6407 Jul 30, 2013
Alexx wrote:
Hello all, just wanted to say that I might be quitting to eating clay. My mom said she's been feeling weak and that she's going to start taking iron pills and I'm going to join her. Stop this crave and this habit. The batch I have now it's only a little bit left. I felt like I ate a pound of clay too fast when I usually eat it within a month but now its in a week or two. Which is really bad according to me. But this batch is my last batch that I will ever eat. I hope this goes good for me. I wish everybody the best of luck to who's stopping this habit too and I hope everybody enjoys their clay. Especially the nakumatt clay.
Good for you Alex!!!
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6408 Jul 31, 2013
Phelisa wrote:
I hav a habit of eating soil, when I did its lyk its after a summer rain that smell of water through soil makes m crave it more. If I get soil I rather take raw sugar. But am worried abt my health. Tel m the risk of eating soil & raw sugar.
Im not sure I follow you but just generally one should try limit their sugar intake perhaps you could try more raw veggies and fruit. With soil well there have been findings of lead in some clays so it will depend on what youre consuming.

Im no pro I just try to bake mine to kill whatever may be in my clay and to limit constipation as its a real factor when you eat clay/ soil etc I try limit the amount and frequency I consume the clay and ensuring I keep hydrated. Where do you get your soil Phelisa@
Ebere

UK

#6409 Aug 1, 2013
The problem people are having withthe clay is that a lot of fake ones are out there unfortunately.
a lot of people that sell it in the UK and US mix it with some sand or earth. That is bound to create problmes.
I have been eating clay since i was little and when i moved to the UK i make sure i always buy from back home in Nigeria. I go for the right stuff and buy enough to last me till i go back home again.
There has been warning yes concerning nzu but i believe the reports were based on the mixtures being sold all over europe and as i can see now, even in the US.
zaheera

Ashfield, UK

#6410 Aug 1, 2013
Alexx wrote:
all the best for you hope it gets easy to leave away this habit...
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#6411 Aug 1, 2013
Ebere wrote:
The problem people are having withthe clay is that a lot of fake ones are out there unfortunately.
a lot of people that sell it in the UK and US mix it with some sand or earth. That is bound to create problmes.
I have been eating clay since i was little and when i moved to the UK i make sure i always buy from back home in Nigeria. I go for the right stuff and buy enough to last me till i go back home again.
There has been warning yes concerning nzu but believe the reports were based on the mixtures being sold all over europe and as i can see now, even in the US.
@ Ebere can you go into details about the mixing of the clay .which ones you know that is mix with other earth &sand that shouldnt be? What Type of clay do you get from Nigeria that isnt mixed ? Ayilo is mixed but I thought that was always the orginal way it was made .The Red soil Cake is molded too.
zaheera

Ashfield, UK

#6412 Aug 1, 2013
Ebere wrote:
There has been warning yes concerning nzu but i believe the reports were based on the mixtures being sold all over europe and as i can see now, even in the US.
oh thats really sad.....but its great you get your stock from the source itself lucky you its really difficult to get hold of clay here ..
clay4life

UK

#6413 Aug 1, 2013
Yeah I agree. It's best to get the clay from the source country.
clay pots

Colorado Springs, CO

#6414 Aug 1, 2013
I don't think it's strange for you to like that I do too I eat it a lot! I find myself trying to break Mexican flower pots particularly brown ones. I remember a year ago I found black stuff in the middle of the pot it was led I avoided it but I never found that in any other pot. Evidently I'm a dietician and there's no harm to it. Just be carful you don't chip a tooth ! Happy eating!!!!!
clay pots

Colorado Springs, CO

#6415 Aug 1, 2013
also I've been eating it for ten years and as long as you maintain a healthy diet and drink LOTS OF WATER it won't be serious
angela

Corning, NY

#6416 Aug 1, 2013
EatAtJoes wrote:
"I eat almost a 1/2 cup at least once a week."
I'm speechless...
...now can someone pour me some milk, so I can wash the clay down...
why clay I do not get it? have u seen a shrink?

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#6417 Aug 2, 2013
I think the Best clay to eat are those which have been tested of harmful substances. The clay from Ghana and togo are known to contain less harmful substances. I feel safe eating this baked clays. I have tried clay from Cameroon and Nigeria what they call nzu and I instantly headache. FDA is warning against eating the nzu clay. Jmo
clay4life

UK

#6418 Aug 2, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
I think the Best clay to eat are those which have been tested of harmful substances. The clay from Ghana and togo are known to contain less harmful substances. I feel safe eating this baked clays. I have tried clay from Cameroon and Nigeria what they call nzu and I instantly headache. FDA is warning against eating the nzu clay. Jmo
But which clays are u speaking of that have been tested for harmful substances??

Germany

#6419 Aug 2, 2013
clay4life wrote:
<quoted text>
But which clays are u speaking of that have been tested for harmful substances??
I mean that the clay in Ghana called ayilo has and the one from Togo called kalaba have been tested. You can google.

Germany

#6420 Aug 2, 2013
I guess most of you don't know bow the togo kalaba clay looks like. It's almost the same as the nakumatt clay and one can view the pic in facebook why we love and crave clay. There are alot of yummy pics there
Earthy lady

Cape Town, South Africa

#6421 Aug 3, 2013
Today I am getting my clay, Yay!!

Its been a very tough week emotionally, I am spent and my other illnesses are getting pretty intense due to the high stress levels. And yes clay is my comfort 'food' of choice, I tried to quit clay at one point and started smoking, I know it wasnt the best choice but I haven't smoked on two months and do no intend on starting again, but I generally have a stressful life and I need that break even if it's temporary to just sit back and enjoy my clay.

I so wish I could take a video or pictures of the two clays I will be getting today, I actually think I will also try the salted clay that she sells, yes I wil get three clays, two of my best which are unsalted pure earthy clay and one new clay I've never tried before which is salted I think It's from Nigeria.

I will post when I am home from town and in the process of eating and trying the three clays.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6422 Aug 3, 2013
So I mentioned the new clay and mistakenly thought she had said its from Nigeria, its from Congo i.e the DRC. Well I tried it first, it tasted salty and ashy like it had been prepared in an outside fire. It was crunchy, somewhat chalky though smooth and not gritty. Its not earthy and doesnt stick. I would have to get used to it but it doesnt call out to me because it lacks the earthiness. Ive never had salty clay and not much of a salty person. I even made a little video with the three clays :)

Have to run so will update on the other two soon. Im a happy clay eater with my three clays. Yummm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers Breaks G... 4 hr Skrillex 7
News Branch of Albany bakery to open in Cohoes (Jul '11) 4 hr Charlotte StGelais 3
News Bruce White on bees, and 62 years as a beekeeper 4 hr John Smith 1
evening on the beach 8 hr Mona Day 1
los angeles food & wine festival 8 hr Mona Day 1
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 8 hr Fart news 683
News Aberdeen woman enjoys experimenting with new re... 9 hr Less food 1
More from around the web