Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
6,021 - 6,040 of 8,114 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#6331 Jul 16, 2013
f you missed yesterday's mind-blowing episode of MHC about Baked Clay or 'Ayilo' don't worry! You can catch it today, Friday July 12 on TV3 at 8:30pm. You don't want to miss it (again)!:-)
clay yay

Salem, India

#6332 Jul 16, 2013
Can you post the link if its on youtube ? Or explain what it was all about ?
Info

Leicester, UK

#6333 Jul 17, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Bristol, UK

#6334 Jul 17, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Odowa Lover, thanks for your kind words!
I'm missing clay too - has been so, so long since I've had real clay chunks which is why I've been making do with alternatives.
I will be in the UK before too long, and can't wait to order/buy from stores various clays! Hope Mavu Seller has a good supply then!
All things clay, am in the UK and I don't know where to get clay now that Mavu is out of stock . I wish I knew someone going to Kenya who would bring me some clay or Mavu could stock up soon.other than Mavu do you know anyone else who stocks clay in UK ?
Mary Tyler

Hurst, TX

#6335 Jul 17, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
<quoted text>
All things clay, am in the UK and I don't know where to get clay now that Mavu is out of stock . I wish I knew someone going to Kenya who would bring me some clay or Mavu could stock up soon.other than Mavu do you know anyone else who stocks clay in UK ?
@ Odowa Lover I don't know what kind of clay your looking for but did you check with Soul Sister ?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#6336 Jul 17, 2013
@Soul Sister I am still waiting on my sample don't why it taking so long! check your email please
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6337 Jul 17, 2013
Its so stressful now that im back at Uni with classes and test plus working part time. I am craaaaaaaaaaving clay like mad. Reading about peoples clay powder and all has my mouth watering.

I actually had some clay about a week ago, i just coulnt resist. Problem with me is I dont eat it only when I have none around but if i had it around id eat it every like four to five times. I just dont have the kind of self control to say I will alternate days or ill reduce my intake when i have it at my disposal. The only way to not eat it is to not buy it and have none at my place. I know my self control is pretty low but what can I say??:)

Plus im sooooooo jealous that you ladies will soon get to taste the Kenyan clay. I have always watched the youtube video countless times. Please share how you find it.

With regards to the eggshells. Wow, ive never thought about that but with pencils i sometimes used to chew on the lead bur i know thats bad but then my favourite pencils were changed and soo. Hard to find so that stopped on its own.

Im being randon but yes im having serious cravings for clay. Its one of those days.
Indian Chalkie

Salem, India

#6338 Jul 18, 2013
Hey munni,
Any news on the whiteclay ? I know you yourself found someone who sent you a sample so i know it must be tough.

Anybody from the US who can ship me some good ol dirt...i can pay you the costs. I've tried asking for an international order via mail but no response yet
loveclay

UK

#6339 Jul 18, 2013
My cravings are going through the roof!!! Missing my red clay from mavu. How come she's been so quiet?? I need to stock up soon. And I want to try the Kenyan clay that everyone's goin on about. I hope she responds.
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#6340 Jul 18, 2013
Do you ladies like clay chunks or clay powder and why?

“www.mavu.bigcart el.com”

Since: Feb 13

London, UK

#6341 Jul 19, 2013
Hi Ladies!

EXCITING NEWS!

Tanzania Red Soil & KENYA NAKUMATT CLAY will be on sale from MONDAY!

You asked and I delivered!:)

Unfortunately there's limited stock on the NAKUMATT clay so it's a first come first served basis!

God Bless and enjoy!

MAVU
joy

Accra, Ghana

#6342 Jul 19, 2013
its very serious cos i eat the one in ghana and i just cant stop eating it. i eat to drive so until i get to my destination, i have to be eating it. hope it will not harm me medically. i hv started hvn constipations here and there but soon as am cleared of it, i resume again
adaku wrote:
i dont knw how i overcame my constipation but when i did have it,i was a total mess,spent 2hrs in the toilet.looks like you guys have different types in sa,the white clay is terribly addictive.the salty one called nzu is the worst of them all.you cant stop,talking about it alone makes me heady and i salivate like a child starved of her favourite meal.lately the ghana one is begining to appeal to me.its right here in front of me with the smell stronger than ever,but aint going down.
joy

Accra, Ghana

#6343 Jul 19, 2013
what do i do now? can i ever stop eating it

“BY THE TIME YOU SEE ME”

Since: Jul 13

YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED

#6344 Jul 19, 2013
smarty pants wrote:
PICA. Pica is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., clay, coal, soil, feces, chalk, paper, soap, mucus, ash, gum etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt, blood).[1] In order for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird which is reputed to eat almost anything.[2] Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women and small children, especially among children who are developmentally disabled, where it is the most common eating disorder.[3]
Pica in children, while common, can be dangerous. Children eating painted plaster containing lead may suffer brain damage from lead poisoning. There is a similar risk from eating dirt near roads that existed prior to the phaseout of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline (in some countries) or prior to the cessation of the use of contaminated oil (either used, or containing toxic PCBs or dioxin) to settle dust. In addition to poisoning, there is also a much greater risk of gastro-intestinal obstruction or tearing in the stomach[citation needed]. This is also true in animals. Another risk of dirt eating is the possible ingestion of animal feces and the accompanying parasites. Pica can also be found in animals, and is most commonly found in dogs.
Most will miss the group likely to have this disorder, since most disorders are common to people who have disorders.
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#6345 Jul 20, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
Hi Ladies!
EXCITING NEWS!
Tanzania Red Soil & KENYA NAKUMATT CLAY will be on sale from MONDAY!
You asked and I delivered!:)
Unfortunately there's limited stock on the NAKUMATT clay so it's a first come first served basis!
God Bless and enjoy!
MAVU
Yay ! Nakumatt clay . I would love to get an review on it . I want to know is it earthy , creamy , gritty , chalky ?
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#6347 Jul 20, 2013
I orders me another batch of clay . I just received my email saying its shipped . So it should be here in a few days .
munni

Hyderabad, India

#6348 Jul 20, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I orders me another batch of clay . I just received my email saying its shipped . So it should be here in a few days .
Hii Alex,

How r u doin? n how did u manage to order a new batch of clay? Does ur mom know about ya cravings still goin on?

However, njoyyy da waiting!!:)
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#6350 Jul 21, 2013
munni wrote:
<quoted text>
Hii Alex,
How r u doin? n how did u manage to order a new batch of clay? Does ur mom know about ya cravings still goin on?
However, njoyyy da waiting!!:)
I'm doing fine and I have a little bit of money now. My mom think that it was a stage because I no longer bother her about eating clay so she thinks I'm over it .
munni

Hyderabad, India

#6351 Jul 21, 2013
Alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm doing fine and I have a little bit of money now. My mom think that it was a stage because I no longer bother her about eating clay so she thinks I'm over it .
Hahaha.. tat's kewl!

Hope u njoy every bit of da clay you gonna get in few days!!
save ya money bit by bit n place ya orders at tyms so u don't need to depend on nyone to munch on ya favv one!!

Have fun n take care :)
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6352 Jul 21, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I see someone has already mentioned Soul Sista. I haven't ordered from her yet, but sure intend to when I'm out there soon. Can't wait to have some more of Mavu's original, that I love, as well as try her new ones. So Mavu if you read this please, please have plenty of stock in - I want to place a big order, but don't want to feel greedy lol.

Chalk Lover if you're reading this are you able to help by selling any of your stash? If so, can you remind us of what you have? Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KKK uses candies, fliers in national recruitmen... 47 min Cricket 23 4
Fear of French fries 49 min charlesakinney 1
East Bay Teacher Tweets About Wanting to Stab H... 55 min News junkie 1
What's your favorite dessert? 4 hr gimmy 21
Conservatives in a huff over immigration 10 hr wild child 2
More school districts consider free meals for all 11 hr reendoga 2
CRUISING Corydon 11 hr blast a boggin 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••