Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,784
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story

Since: May 13

Philadelphia, PA

#6222 Jun 27, 2013
Alexx wrote:
The clay has been giving me headaches & been making me dizzy. So I stopped chewing big chunks & just bite off a small piece from it. I also still then have an headache or get a little dizzy it'll just be for a shorter time period. So I'm taking a break from it. I kinda crave clay but not as bad. But I haven't ate none all day. When the cravings get really bad then ill take that risk but it won't get really bad for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to give y'all an update on things since I haven't said nothing since I received the clay.
Thanks Alex fro the update. How i wish i had some clay now. Mail some of yours if you feel like taking a break off it.
Mz libra

Brooklyn, NY

#6223 Jun 27, 2013
Everything in moderation.... As with me in my cornstarch. About to eat some tonight. Was also looking at crayola white chalk the old fashion kind by Binney & Smith. Love eating cornstarch chalk white dirt baby powder...
Mary Tyler

United States

#6224 Jun 27, 2013
@ Alexx most of the time headaches means. LEAD in the clay maybe not much but high enough to cause dizzy & headaches .
Your correct you should take a break and flush out your system with plenty of water.
zaheera

UK

#6225 Jun 28, 2013
riya wrote:
in uk hounslow west where to buy multani mitti chunks
you should try in the asian shops there they do have ...
Miley

India

#6227 Jun 28, 2013
Oh its SAMPELING THE MAVU CLAY DIRT but the link isnt working here :(
Soul Sista

Leicester, UK

#6228 Jun 28, 2013
riya wrote:
hi..i m passionate clay luver...i eat mostly multani mitti chunks..i eat usually 10 big chunks a day..nd i jst put dem in oven...after sumtym it got heated den i eat...den itz non sticky nd becum more delicious nd yummy to eat...i also prefer yellow clay dat iz dark in colour nf non sticky..i eat 5 chunks a day...sumtyms i do along with it red clay chunks dat iz gairoo in punjab..nd also grey colour clay bigger chunks known as golu in punjab found from clay potters...really luv to eat it
hiya i was just wondering where do u get ur red clay - golu i really wana try sum.x
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6231 Jun 29, 2013
Hi ladies.

Ive been reading and stalking the forum for two years now but I have to share that I also love eating clay. Im a 21 year old female from Cape Town, South Africa. And yes all that is here is sand so one has to go buy the clay from the market. I have a lady I buy mine from, you could say Ive become a regular :):)

There is a youtube video that about people in Johannesburg eating 'mud' which is really clay. So the clay I eat is like the blocks on that video and that clay is taken from Johannesburg and sold in Cape Town. There are manu vendora who sell it so its never in short supply. But I also eat from Zimbabwe i.e clay like the original Mavu clay practically and thats only sold by fewer people but the lady I buy it from never runs out.

She sells othet clays too like salted clay from Ghana but Ive never tries it because I know I would enjoy it. So the clay similar to the Mavu is sold in a packet and its a heavy clay as described by Ms Kenya on youtube in her recent video on sampling the Mavu clay. Its very earthy and I prefer it to the block because even though the blocks are less sticky and less heavy they are harder to digest in truth for my system. The one time before I stopped eating it over a year ago I could pass stools for almost a week and when I did it hurt like crazy I thought that was it Id have to go to hospital but luckily not. Ever since that day I learnt my lesson.

Also the clay I eat now which is like the original Mavu, I buy a packet like once every two to three months and then it will last me about a week or two sometimes I just end up throwing it out because my cravings arent that bad but I still love and enjoy the earthy taste. When I place it on my tongue I feel it start to dissolve and as I slow start to chew and saviour it, I always close my close mu eyes because it is like the smell of the rain when it starts hitting the ground. Heavenly!!

Today Ive gone two months without clay and have been craving it so ill go buy the one like the original Mavu though here you get the more yellow kind just like the Mavu and the more grey kind thats also from Zimbabwe but dug up at a different site. But I buy the yellow kind as I love how it tastes and the grey is way more heavier and stickier. So today Im getting some clay but like I said I usually eat a little bit then throw it oit because I dont want to eat too much even if its a little each day as I used to be addicted to it. Ive always drank about 2 lts of water a day and eat ny five fruit/veggies too. For me raw carrot helps with the cravings when they get intense at timea and I literally refuse to eat clay all the time. Its now something I allow myselc to indulge i. Onxe in every while.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6232 Jun 29, 2013
Some background :

I started eating clay about 6 years ago when I was 16 well thats the age I moves to buying clay that ive described above. Since then ive been hooked but in the last three years ive decides to be healthier and reduce my in take and ive done it and no im not on any supplements.

Before then when I was 14 -15 years old my friend used to bring me clay she dug up herself fron her backyard but looking back it was less smooth and creamy I guess like clay buy once again the earthy taste got me hookes but then I changed schools so she could no longer help me with the clay. Before then I stayed in the Eastern Cape where there is lots of brown and red dirt so I was happy digging it up myself from our yard. But you had to go deeper into the ground to get tje red dirt. I loved the earthy taste so much. It was unlike clay so not heavy and you could eat as much as you wanted without problems. I started eating thay dirt when I was about 9 years old. This pregnant lady who was my neighbour loved sitting outside in the sun and just eating dirt so one day I tried it and loved it. I mean before then id always stand by the window when it rained to just inhale the earthy smell and now once I tasted it I was hooked.

My family doesnt know though my mom found out when I was 11 and told me to quit it. I just became more careful and contibued indugling happily.

Today im 21 going on 22 and ive loves the earthy taste and smell for such a long time. Im not as dependant on it because Ive just had to practice self control and Im happy with how I now indulge i.e once for a week or two every two to three montha maybe about three chunks a day as the clay is very rich.

Happy munching wilk update everyone once im eating my clay :):)
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6233 Jun 29, 2013
Lastly I also used to eat chalk when I was about 16 before I discovered the clay I could buy. There was a girl in my maths class who would always eat it and once I tried it it was really good. We would just hop from classroom to another taking a few sticks. It was chalky but had some kind of eathyness to it and once dissolved it was smooth like clay.

So when testing which was the chalk I ate and which wasnt, Id simply place the chalk in the palm of my hand because the one I liked was slightly heavier than the other normal chalks. But once I discovered clay I was glad to be off the chalk because I feared the chemicals would be bad for me.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6234 Jun 29, 2013
All things clay wrote:
Have a look at this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23481...
It's a shame about the houses, but I love the pictures of the cliff itself. I've googled it and it's red sandstone.
That reminds me of the red dirt I used to eat. Such a pity about the houses though.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6235 Jun 29, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
@ Alexx most of the time headaches means. LEAD in the clay maybe not much but high enough to cause dizzy & headaches .
Your correct you should take a break and flush out your system with plenty of water.
True I also just randomly looked up lead poisoning and somw of its sympoms are dizzyness and headaches. This is what always freaks me out about clay. Hope you are better Alexx. Perhaps get rid of the clay? Though ive beeb reading about how hard it is for you to get your hands on clay. Hmmm goodluck.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6236 Jun 29, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
That reminds me of the red dirt I used to eat. Such a pity about the houses though.
Hi Earthy Lady, thanks for sharing your story here. I hope you become a regular!

The red dirt does look so good, like it would be delicious.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6237 Jun 29, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
Everything in moderation.... As with me in my cornstarch. About to eat some tonight. Was also looking at crayola white chalk the old fashion kind by Binney & Smith. Love eating cornstarch chalk white dirt baby powder...
I didn't realize you loved chalk too.

I've never had the old kind but I love regular Crayola white chalk - especially when it's nice and crunchy (I chew it, only sometimes swallow). I'm so happy, just discovered another source to buy it (I was starting to get embarrassed buying it, so the more places I can find that sell it the better).
Mel

South Africa

#6238 Jun 29, 2013
Hi Earthy Lady,

I am from Durban, pls can u find out if its possible for ur supplier to send sum clay to Durban, wil pay for da clay and da costs. I'm craving clay reaaly bad. Thanks,
MzLibra

Newport News, VA

#6239 Jun 29, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't realize you loved chalk too.
I've never had the old kind but I love regular Crayola white chalk - especially when it's nice and crunchy (I chew it, only sometimes swallow). I'm so happy, just discovered another source to buy it (I was starting to get embarrassed buying it, so the more places I can find that sell it the better).
Yes I like chalk too. But the Crayola to me taste so gritty now. I wish I could find some that is smooth. I haven't ordered any white dirt in awhile. Stuck on my cornstarch again. Getting some Argo, going to try to make the chunks. Then again, I love the texture of cornstarch so smooth and soft. Wish I could get all the brands I enjoy and mix them together. It would be about 10 of them.
Alexx

United States

#6240 Jun 29, 2013
I eat really really small chalks every other day. I only eat one chunk . Every other day to avoid headaches and dizziness . Only way to satisfy my cravings and avoid headaches and dizziness . It's a lot . But I can't help the cravings .
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6241 Jun 29, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi Earthy Lady,
I am from Durban, pls can u find out if its possible for ur supplier to send sum clay to Durban, wil pay for da clay and da costs. I'm craving clay reaaly bad. Thanks,
Hi Mel
She sells both the Joburg block clay and the clay from Zim. Which would you like? Im not sure when ill be going into town but when I go ill ask her for you ok?
Interesting that there are no vendors that side because its sold in most places for about R5 a block/packet like here.
Where do you usually get your clay? What kind of clay do you usually eat?
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6242 Jun 29, 2013
Ladies, I went into town yestetday but since the morning mt cravings werent bad or even there. So i didnt buy the clay. Thats the thing sometimes I crave the clay like crazy when I dont have it but once I make up my mind to get it or once i have it at home then my cravings seem to subside hence I usually just throw it out without finishing it. Plus now its almost time for my period and I prefer not to eat clay so close or during this time. Perhaps afterwards Ill go buy some.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6243 Jun 29, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I eat really really small chalks every other day. I only eat one chunk . Every other day to avoid headaches and dizziness . Only way to satisfy my cravings and avoid headaches and dizziness . It's a lot . But I can't help the cravings .
Alexx are you eating chalk now, or did you mean to say clay because you had told us before that the clay was causing headaches and dizziness?

No matter what, please be careful. I know all about cravings, and have certainly eaten/chewed my share of stuff that I know isn't good in those amounts, but I would like to think that if I was sure that something was giving me headaches and making me dizzy I would be able to resist it. As someone has mentioned, that may be because there is lead present. Or maybe it could be that you have some sort of sensitivity to it?

Again Alexx, please be safe.
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#6244 Jun 29, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Alexx are you eating chalk now, or did you mean to say clay because you had told us before that the clay was causing headaches and dizziness?
No matter what, please be careful. I know all about cravings, and have certainly eaten/chewed my share of stuff that I know isn't good in those amounts, but I would like to think that if I was sure that something was giving me headaches and making me dizzy I would be able to resist it. As someone has mentioned, that may be because there is lead present. Or maybe it could be that you have some sort of sensitivity to it?
Again Alexx, please be safe.
I meant to say chunks instead of chalk . But I understand your concern . I'm just very disappointed that I waited so long to buy my own clay and when I finally did its no good . Maybe it's a sign of telling me that I just need to quit this habit .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Australian Christmas, Everything's Overturn... 4 hr The ADELAIDEAN 2
Obama withdraws Alaska's Bristol Bay from drilling 10 hr woodtick57 5
Chasing Shadows: Carrabelle crabs and a hydroplane 10 hr csuzi10 1
The Cuisine of Puerto Rico (Apr '11) Tue medioguarddia 135
El Paso School District Under Fire for Serving ... Tue L Morales 3
7 things to know about epilepsy Tue ADVERSE EFFECTS 3
Weight loss a good first step to get healthy (Oct '13) Tue marywarner777 5
More from around the web