Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
5,721 - 5,740 of 8,016 Comments Last updated 16 min ago
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Indian Chalkie wrote:
Hi Alexx,
I had thought about it in the past but not as a business but just to give someone a taste of it who was craving it but since slate pencils are extremely common in india and available everywhere, finding people who would want to buy it from outside india will be tough. Also, every brand tastes different so finding those special ones and then retaining supply might be tough..wouldn't wanna get someone hooked and then run out of supplies. How many on this forum would be interested ?
I asked the question because, yes, I would be interested in buying slate pencils if it was possible to do so without any problem and for a fair price. I have seen videos and they look so good - and in the one where the lady is eating one it sounds so nice and crunchy. I have also read on here and other sites about how good and earthy they are.

I have said before that my preference is natural clay that hasn't had anything added to it or been shaped by people - my concern here is whether or not the clay was prepared in a hygienic manner. BUT some of those molded clays look so good and have such good reviews that I plan to order some but will wait until I travel to do so because of the cost of shipping and other potential import problems.

I feel the same about slate pencils. I don't like the idea of people having their hands in things that I will chew/eat, but I would love to try them. If I got some pencils I would heat them to try to sterilize and bring out the earthy taste - and probably just chew them and not swallow at first to see if they agree with me. They look similar to chalk, which I do eat sometimes, but seem more natural and tastier.

You say that slate pencils are available everywhere, but that is in India. I do not know if they are sold in other countries, and have never seen them. Also, if they are sold everywhere I don't understand why there would ever be a problem in keeping up the supply?

For me importing slate pencils would be easier to explain than it would be to explain if I was questioned on why I was importing molded clay or for example red soil cake. I have read here that the Tiger brand is good - maybe if you consider selling the pencils you could offer a few different types for people to try?

I have another question for the Indian ladies. Do you know whether the factories/people that make them know that people eat them? If they know, I was wondering if some factories take better care to prepare them in a clean, hygienic way? I ask this because in America people who sell white dirt do know that people eat it and I was wondering if it was the same in India with the slate pencils.

Thanks!
Slindile

Durban, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

I'm only 19 years old and have been addicted to eating dirt and soil, especially red soil, since I was about 11. I crave it so bad that my mouth just waters from thinking about it and often have to look at pictures of it to satisfy "my hunger". Will this mess up my fertility somehow?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

All things clay wrote:
The stores keep messing with my Argo in the box, and not always having it in stock. I had to settle for Shop Rite brand, which I have had in the past and thought it was ok but it isn't doing anything for me now.
I'll have to get several boxes of Argo when I next see it.
I wonder why Argo is disappearing so quick off the shelves now? I've always wondered if there are a lot of secret cravers like us here on this island and recently found out that a couple of my relatives are, who eat other things. I wonder if word has gotten out about the starch, lol?
Now Crayola chalk in short supply! Bought a few packs and only two boxes left in the only place I've found that sells white chalk (I would have taken them all, but didn't want to be selfish).

I can't wait until I can travel and pick up some good supplies!
Indian Chalkie

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Hi All things clay,

To answer your questions
Yes slate pencils are extremely earthy and crunchy so they do taste. What you saw in the video wont do till you actually get to taste it. Secondly, why i mentioned the supply part is bcoz each brand and even same brand bought from diff stores can vary in taste. Since i have been eating them forever,i know which ones to buy and from where. These are sold in stationery and small grocery stores in india and they maintain not large supplies
Each box of slate pencils contain 15 to 20 of them and there are usually about 25 boxes in a case that the shopkeepers purchase...so if you buy them out..you dont know which brand they'd get next or if it even would taste the same. Hope that clarifies. And yes, everyone knows that these slate pencils are consumed but they still dont manufacture them for consumption. They are pounded up in machines which shapes the pencils as seen.in yout tube videos so having someone prepare it hygeinically is out of question as that is out of your hands
We eat it knowing where it's coming from and are ok with it
Yes you can bake it to remove any impurities but they already come sun dried and taste delicious. The only problem with shipping them is the costs involved which will still be ok for you guys as a pound or dollar are stronger currencies
Kay

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

rin wrote:
<quoted text> I have your email an will email you this weekend hope Friday. An will send it off Saturday morning. Thank you.
I would love a sample of your clay run!!!! My email is krazzyk405@gmail.com
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Indian Chalkie wrote:
Hi All things clay,
To answer your questions
Yes slate pencils are extremely earthy and crunchy so they do taste. What you saw in the video wont do till you actually get to taste it. Secondly, why i mentioned the supply part is bcoz each brand and even same brand bought from diff stores can vary in taste. Since i have been eating them forever,i know which ones to buy and from where. These are sold in stationery and small grocery stores in india and they maintain not large supplies
Each box of slate pencils contain 15 to 20 of them and there are usually about 25 boxes in a case that the shopkeepers purchase...so if you buy them out..you dont know which brand they'd get next or if it even would taste the same. Hope that clarifies. And yes, everyone knows that these slate pencils are consumed but they still dont manufacture them for consumption. They are pounded up in machines which shapes the pencils as seen.in yout tube videos so having someone prepare it hygeinically is out of question as that is out of your hands
We eat it knowing where it's coming from and are ok with it
Yes you can bake it to remove any impurities but they already come sun dried and taste delicious. The only problem with shipping them is the costs involved which will still be ok for you guys as a pound or dollar are stronger currencies
Thank you Indian Chalkie for such a detailed reply.

If you decide to check into doing this please let us know - maybe if you get a chance you could see what shipping costs would be? Also, if you did this I wonder if it would be possible for you to find out where the shopkeepers get them from and buy them like that so that you control what brands you get? If it was possible I would be interested in buying a couple of boxes at first and if I like them then buying a case.

I am glad to know that at least the manufacturers know that people eat these pencils.

I already chew chalk, but these pencils sound like a much more delicious and earthy version of chalk so please let us know if you decide to sell them but if you have concerns no problem because I wouldn't want to get hooked on them and then be unable to get them.

Thanks again.
angela

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Helllo everyone. I havnt been on d forum for a while. I hav been reading d comments . I took iron pills for a few months nd I had no cravings , none st all, but then I started getting stomach upset nd diarrhea frm taking so much iron pilks so I stopped. Since recently I started crsving clay again. I hav read comments abt slate pencils. As a kid in india we used to use them to write on our slates. Nd I believe most kids would nibble on them. I guess cuz growing kids need more minerals etc so we probably got an urge to eat them. They r made frm kaolin clay same stuff lyk grorgia white dirt kaolin. They raste good. BBut d manufsctures only make them for use as writing. They might no sumtimes kids eat them bt thats it. ehen I bought k a olin cl as y geirgia white dirt here in d us . I got d same taste nd lovd it. I did eat multani mitti in india once in a while but ksolin is lot better than multani mitti as it does stick to ur gums nd stuff .
dirt eater

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

at All things clay, I would like to visit he facebook forum on why we love and crave clay, could youplease post the link.
i've google it, i cannot find it
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

dirt eater wrote:
at All things clay, I would like to visit he facebook forum on why we love and crave clay, could youplease post the link.
i've google it, i cannot find it
Here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/WhyWeCraveLoveClay...

I have visited the page, but to shy to like it or post.
Alexx

Morrow, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Here it is:
http://www.facebook.com/WhyWeCraveLoveClay...
I have visited the page, but to shy to like it or post.
This page doesn't come up for me . It always take me to my news feed .
Alexx

Morrow, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

angela wrote:
Helllo everyone. I havnt been on d forum for a while. I hav been reading d comments . I took iron pills for a few months nd I had no cravings , none st all, but then I started getting stomach upset nd diarrhea frm taking so much iron pilks so I stopped. Since recently I started crsving clay again. I hav read comments abt slate pencils. As a kid in india we used to use them to write on our slates. Nd I believe most kids would nibble on them. I guess cuz growing kids need more minerals etc so we probably got an urge to eat them. They r made frm kaolin clay same stuff lyk grorgia white dirt kaolin. They raste good. BBut d manufsctures only make them for use as writing. They might no sumtimes kids eat them bt thats it. ehen I bought k a olin cl as y geirgia white dirt here in d us . I got d same taste nd lovd it. I did eat multani mitti in india once in a while but ksolin is lot better than multani mitti as it does stick to ur gums nd stuff .
Omg that makes me want to try it even more .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
This page doesn't come up for me . It always take me to my news feed .
That's strange and disappointing - it's a nice page.

I find it no problem - just log on to facebook and type in "Why we crave & love clay" and it comes up.
ackee

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

hey angela so sorry that you had such an adverse reaction to the Iron. It seems in order to keep off the clay you need to be on the iron but then it can affect you in other ways and then you stop and the cravings come right back. Maybe if we try to control our intake. Moderation.
angela

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Hey ackeee, how r u? They told me to get a diff type of iron pill ferrous glucanate but it was expensive so I didnt get it but I will get it since d cravlngs jus startd to come back . How gav u been. I jus finishd my finals. I was going crazy wid skool nd work. Omg m so relaxd now. No skool for 3 months thank god.
deepti

Delhi, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

i have a strong craving to eat sand, clay,soil,pebbels,chalk.i think i have lack of iron and calcium in my body.i want to get rid of this unusual eating habit.how can i?
ackee

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

angela wrote:
Hey ackeee, how r u? They told me to get a diff type of iron pill ferrous glucanate but it was expensive so I didnt get it but I will get it since d cravlngs jus startd to come back . How gav u been. I jus finishd my finals. I was going crazy wid skool nd work. Omg m so relaxd now. No skool for 3 months thank god.
I am happy to hear that you are hanging in there and you can relax a little now. You are doing well. School can be hard. Yes the stuff we need at times are always costly.I have been doing ok. I bought some clay from Mutt&Jeff a while back and still have about 8lbs left. I do not eat it as much as I used to every now and then I nibble on a little piece I think this only happens when I am stressed or Anxious.
I am glad to know you are good I hope you get iron.
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Hello Clay eaters!!!!google this statement "Slate pencil Production Technology"-Kettathum Kandathum 9,June 2012 Part 2
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

To see the making of slate Pencil
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Or go to this link:
&NR=1&feature=endscree n
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Cheers!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••