Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,763
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Curious

Stockbridge, GA

#5992 May 25, 2013
What does slate pencils look like? Are they made out of kaolin? Where can you buy them in the united states or online?
Alexx

United States

#5993 May 25, 2013
I just dug a little bit of red clay from my grandma back yard . :) now just gotta let it dry out . So excited . It's been a while since I dug some clay
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5994 May 25, 2013
Curious wrote:
What does slate pencils look like? Are they made out of kaolin? Where can you buy them in the united states or online?
I have put links to a couple of youtube videos in the past. Here is one to look at, I suggest looking on youtube for more or just doing a google search - it seems like there are a whole lot of people that eat slate pencil.

Here is another link, to one showing a young woman eating. It looks and sounds so good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I haven't found it for sale on any UK or US website...if anybody knows if it is possible to order some please let us all know!
CLAY DIVA

Orange, TX

#5995 May 25, 2013
@ALL CLAY you should come check out the facebook forum why we crave&love clay .I think you would like it.
munni

Hyderabad, India

#5996 May 26, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I just dug a little bit of red clay from my grandma back yard .:) now just gotta let it dry out . So excited . It's been a while since I dug some clay
Hi Alex,

I see that ur cravings r growing high but u do not have ny convenient source to get ya white dirt wenevr u want! Glad to know u've tried to have some red clay from ya grandma's home. let me know how does it taste after getting dried in the sun!?

Njoyyyy :) I wish i can have some from smwer..
Miley

London, UK

#5998 May 26, 2013
@ Alexx

The red clay that u dig may contain parasites and worms.. So what would u do to purify it ?? I mean just drying in the sun is not enough!
munni

Hyderabad, India

#6000 May 26, 2013
Miley wrote:
@ Alexx
The red clay that u dig may contain parasites and worms.. So what would u do to purify it ?? I mean just drying in the sun is not enough!
Miley,

Drying in the sun gives a gud taste to the clay. Also, another option of it is putting them in earthy paper bags. Afterall, clay z a clay n dirt z dirt. It can't b totally purified to food grade if we ourselves dig it from the backyard. We all just need to satisfy our cravings to have n feel it on our tongues n njoy its taste to relax our souls!! isn't it ?? ;)
Miley

London, UK

#6001 May 26, 2013
munni wrote:
<quoted text>
Miley,
Drying in the sun gives a gud taste to the clay. Also, another option of
it is putting them in earthy paper bags. Afterall, clay z a clay n dirt
z dirt. It can't b totally purified to food grade if we ourselves dig
it from the backyard. We all just need to satisfy our cravings to have n
feel it on our tongues n njoy its taste to relax our souls!! isn't it
?? ;)
yeah thats right! Hey have u ever tried iron pills or calcium sandoz or something to control the craving ?
Alexx

United States

#6002 May 26, 2013
Miley wrote:
@ Alexx
Put it in the oven & bake it . Let the heat kill any parasites or anything bad in the clay .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6003 May 26, 2013
CLAY DIVA wrote:
@ALL CLAY you should come check out the facebook forum why we crave&love clay .I think you would like it.
Thanks. It looks great, love all the pictures.
Alexx

United States

#6004 May 26, 2013
munni wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Alex,
I see that ur cravings r growing high but u do not have ny convenient source to get ya white dirt wenevr u want! Glad to know u've tried to have some red clay from ya grandma's home. let me know how does it taste after getting dried in the sun!?
Njoyyyy :) I wish i can have some from smwer..
The taste is very very earthy . It really taste like you just dug it from the ground .(Haha) also it's very gritty , something I've been craving since I tried Leslie red dirt & I kinda fell in love w/ the grit . Even though I ate red dirt before & I didn't like it . But now I enjoy it .
Alexx

United States

#6005 May 26, 2013
Miley wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah thats right! Hey have u ever tried iron pills or calcium sandoz or something to control the craving ?
No I really don't try any pills to control my cravings . I just try to stick it through & be tough & not think about clay , or what it taste like & all that .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6006 May 26, 2013
Have any of the Indian ladies ever thought about starting a little business exporting clay pencil?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6007 May 26, 2013
Sorry, meant to say slate pencil.
Alexx

United States

#6008 May 26, 2013
All things clay wrote:
Have any of the Indian ladies ever thought about starting a little business exporting clay pencil?
That'll be a good idea !!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6009 May 26, 2013
The stores keep messing with my Argo in the box, and not always having it in stock. I had to settle for Shop Rite brand, which I have had in the past and thought it was ok but it isn't doing anything for me now.

I'll have to get several boxes of Argo when I next see it.

I wonder why Argo is disappearing so quick off the shelves now? I've always wondered if there are a lot of secret cravers like us here on this island and recently found out that a couple of my relatives are, who eat other things. I wonder if word has gotten out about the starch, lol?
munni

Hyderabad, India

#6010 May 26, 2013
Miley wrote:
<quoted text>
I do take my iron n calcium suppliments daily or every alternate days! but... I don't see ny change in my cravings. they r as strong as they were!! I control myself wen I wanted to.. instead of depending on ny pills!! Self control is the only best control on ya cravings for nything!!! Wotsay?? ;)
munni

Hyderabad, India

#6011 May 26, 2013
Alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
The taste is very very earthy . It really taste like you just dug it from the ground .(Haha) also it's very gritty , something I've been craving since I tried Leslie red dirt & I kinda fell in love w/ the grit . Even though I ate red dirt before & I didn't like it . But now I enjoy it .
Yes Alex!

I too have da same taste lyk urs for gritty red one!

my taste buds do not allow me to chew smthng which z non-grit or smooth n sticky! Hence, here am I always thinking about n watching videos of red grit clay/mud as I have no access to it !:( ;)

U r lucky to have found it at ya granny's place!! Njoy da earth around U!!
munni

Hyderabad, India

#6012 May 26, 2013
All things clay wrote:
I wish I'd b some part in doin it... but Alas.. I myself have no access to my faavvv red clay so far n its been 7months tat Im a pregnant as I'm not being allowed to have ny things which have calcium deficiency or in short earthy things which im craving a lot!!

Indian ladies,.. plsss think of it n put ur thots on dis forum anout wot All Things Clay just asked!! atleast dis way I cud fing someone n satisfy myself! ;)haha lol
Indian Chalkie

Mumbai, India

#6013 May 27, 2013
Hi Alexx,

I had thought about it in the past but not as a business but just to give someone a taste of it who was craving it but since slate pencils are extremely common in india and available everywhere, finding people who would want to buy it from outside india will be tough. Also, every brand tastes different so finding those special ones and then retaining supply might be tough..wouldn't wanna get someone hooked and then run out of supplies. How many on this forum would be interested ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Little Caesars cements deal 30 min Gotta love the gap 20
Leadbelly's Barbecue has a meaty menu (Feb '14) 2 hr meatheater 4
Why is Canada's bee population drastically in d... Thu no Wynne situation 1
Ontario beekeepers lost more than half of their... Thu no Wynne situation 1
BJ's Cafe: The biscuits are calling you (Mar '11) Thu Anonomous 34
Transgender women seek herbal alternatives to h... Thu TerryE 4
Obama withdraws Alaska's Bristol Bay from drilling Thu Dr Wu 3
More from around the web