Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
5,561 - 5,580 of 7,839 Comments Last updated 2 min ago
SA ex eater

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Mel wrote:
Hi SA ex eater,
Which clay did u buy and can u tell me how much does the beige clay sell for in Jhb. I was in Jhb 2 weeks ago and I got some1 to buy me sum beige clay. I lyk the beige clay but I find dat some of it is not very clean, wen I break it into pieces I find small twigs and sometyms it has black spots on it, so I only eat da 1s that r clean. Can u let me knw were to get da red clay as I wanna knw if the taste is as same as the beige clay or different.
Thanks
i havnt seen red clay in jozi....iv only seen white and brownish....but you can ask others wu eats clay mayb i just do not know the right corners....gudluck!
Clayer 2

Boksburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Mel wrote:
Hi SA ex eater,
Which clay did u buy and can u tell me how much does the beige clay sell for in Jhb. I was in Jhb 2 weeks ago and I got some1 to buy me sum beige clay. I lyk the beige clay but I find dat some of it is not very clean, wen I break it into pieces I find small twigs and sometyms it has black spots on it, so I only eat da 1s that r clean. Can u let me knw were to get da red clay as I wanna knw if the taste is as same as the beige clay or different.
Thanks
Hi Mel, word of advice. never eat the clay without cleaning it i know it sounds funny. i eat the same clay and yes sometimes it has twigs or black things. you should look for a heart pot because they are strong for any heat. wash the clay first like the full packet or two packets to save time for next time. try to scrap the black staff of using a knife. you wont get evrything out so soak the clay using hot water and after ten minute check trhough the clay removing all the twigs and hidden unwanted black things. i know it takes time but it's worth it. at that moment the clay is pasty.now put the pot on high heat and let it boil till it's crunchy burnt a bit. the whole process take 45minutes but you dont mind when you know the end results. cut the clay into small pieces before it dries out totally. i do it daily and i'm glad because at least i feel it's at a better state. you have no clue who touches the clay before it gets to you. hope it helps.by the way the way tastes so much better after this.
Mel

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Hi Clayer 2,

Thanks for the advice, wil try that, its a long process but its better than throwing half da clay away cos wen there were black spotson the clay, I used to throw that whole piece away, so u can guess hw much of clay was getting wasted, can u tel me hw much do u pay for da beige clay?
deepti

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

U knw as u ppl told I tried to roast multani....aftr roasting it went from white to red...sticky to crunchy...n as multani has gud watr holdng capacity it juzz become opp...powdery..dry crunchy n supa dupr non sticky....juz luvd it yrr...
munni

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

deepti wrote:
U knw as u ppl told I tried to roast multani....aftr roasting it went from white to red...sticky to crunchy...n as multani has gud watr holdng capacity it juzz become opp...powdery..dry crunchy n supa dupr non sticky....juz luvd it yrr...
Hii Deepthi.

woteva u did wid ya multani.. i did it exactly 2 days bak!! really.. i was surprised to c the smoothy creamy texture totally changed to crunchy n lil hard..! ;)
Shanu

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Hi deepti
ilove the multani but not roasted when ieat roste multani that is not stick in mouth ilove those clay
meh

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

deepti wrote:
I'm happy you liked it. It really works.@munni did you found any source of red clay/dirt. I live in aravali hills and in b/w 2-3kms area there are plenty of red dirt and rocks but not sure if they are edible or not! I crave red dirt the most
munni

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

meh wrote:
<quoted text> I'm happy you liked it. It really works.@munni did you found any source of red clay/dirt. I live in aravali hills and in b/w 2-3kms area there are plenty of red dirt and rocks but not sure if they are edible or not! I crave red dirt the most
Hi Meh.. leave red dirt, I dnt even find ny signs of clay around me n my cravings r raising a lot!:(.. n no one z rdy or accepting my req of sending samples of red clay.. cuz im in no position to order n get it to me!!!! im jus going thru all da posts here in da forum n adjusting myself virtually! So Pathetic feeling!

Woww.. nice to hear u can atleast see da RED dirt nearby ya place.. did u visit those places nytym recently? wen was da last tym u had it..?
Clayaholic

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

@munni are you asking for free clay?
deepti

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Munni...in ur family did nyone else crave nythn during pregcy...if ny1 did for sure dat prsn gonna help u....tok to ur frnz...trustd frnz...
deepti

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

But still not able undrstn how to get dose orange pieces wich we get wen bought from locl genrl store...
meh

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

@munni i had never tried red dirt. My pica story is somehow in imagination at most of the time since last 2 years. I used to eat pencils yes graphite pencils when i was 13 when i saw my classmate doing so, i got curious and i got the addiction which lasted over 6 YEARS which caused me several headaches but as an alternative i started eating chalks when i was 15which lasted about 4 years. The one i used to buy were super earthy crunchy and in b/w i ate tons of pieces but those chalks were out of market by the time when i was 19. So my next alternative was multani mitti; when i got to know about pica and people used to eat it via internet which made me to taste it, i hated the texture but with time i got addicted in b/w i tried clay pots(was nasty to me tried single piece) and half brick but that was the time i felt my health should be prior so i lowered my intake multani around half kg in a month or two and had great gaps of 3-4 month w/o it.since 2 years I had started doing yoga, mixture of dhaniya and water and a balanced diet. Fullers earth had helped me in colon cleansing(surely in moderation). After the ultrasound and chest xray i have a sign of relief for nt having stone or ny lead poisoing. Because of low at iron i crave earth. But seriously god help those who help themself.i wish all of you & myself a good luck
clay

Nigeria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

i have serious case at hand.i buy up to #50 worth of it and finish it within 4 days sometimes it acts my meal and my supplementary after eating.i have long stopped taking it b4 i knew it was poisonous but its urge is still in me,to make matters worse it is sold in every shop around my area even in the market.god help me.
Greatest

Lagos, Nigeria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

@Clay,
seems u're a Nigerian right? Wia do u live? U really gotta cut down.
Indian Chalkie

Bangalore, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Hi munni/deepthi,

What do you guys mean by roasting multani mitti ? I only get multani mitti in the powdered form where i live..do you guys have access multani miti chunks ? Can you post a picture of it and where do you buy it from ? I didn't know you got chunks in hyderabad..plz reply n describe it's taste as well
munni

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Clayaholic wrote:
@munni are you asking for free clay?
Hi Clayaholic!

Just as ladies initially from the forum asked for samples.. da same way... n not daily r regularly.. just once .. just to satisfy my cravings as a pregnant which started 5 mnths bak!! As I cudn't have nything nearby.. i had no other choice but asking ladies out here!!

Im sorry for asking it for free ... but I cant even afford to pay for it if I order from nywer.. nt even locally!!
munni

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

deepti wrote:
Munni...in ur family did nyone else crave nythn during pregcy...if ny1 did for sure dat prsn gonna help u....tok to ur frnz...trustd frnz...
As far as i know.. nobody craved da way im doing it now as a preggy!! Though my mom knows dat pregnants smtyms feel lyk having non food items, one of them being dirt/clay.. she gave an inch of soft pottery peice just to see if i eat it as interetingly as other food items... dat day i had it!! n asked for a lil bit more. then she undrstud my Pica condition... bt from then on dint encourage me in ny way. At tat tym I found this forum wer all of u guys r openly discussing n sharing all da experiences u went thru n also being informative!

Hence, I thot someone atleast from here wud respond to me n help me satisfy my craving which z now very uncontrollable.!! Sadly, none of my close frnds r interested in having clay r stuff these!! my family ppl r against me having even a lil... n who else can I talk to other dan dis forum!
munni

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Indian Chalkie wrote:
Hi munni/deepthi,
What do you guys mean by roasting multani mitti ? I only get multani mitti in the powdered form where i live..do you guys have access multani miti chunks ? Can you post a picture of it and where do you buy it from ? I didn't know you got chunks in hyderabad..plz reply n describe it's taste as well
Hii Indian Chalkie..

I meant to say roasting multani is lyk heating up da chunks which I actually get it from the shops. Its sold in the da form of powder as well as chunks from many local stores.Im having few chunks left here in my home, those were given to my sister by her bestfrnd. Ive tasted it once r twice wen my cravings started but realised dats nt for my taste buds. Widout heating it up, its lil hard to bite, bt has got a creamy texture, feels sticky insyd ya mouth, no grit bt u feel lyk chewing it!! I lyk smthng which z lil gritty to chew. crunchy n only da red one z da one i wanted! So, I stopped using it.. ill post u da picture of those left over chunks wid me.. which i dint even touch it from yrs..!! ;)
munni

Hyderabad, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Indian Chalkie wrote:
Hi munni/deepthi,

gimme ur id ill send u da image of it!! hope ull like it!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

I see that Kenya Jones has a couple of new videos on youtube, with lemon flavoured cornstarch chunks and digging up her own red dirt with a spoon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I tried making some lemon cornstarch, and it wasn't bad.

That red dirt looks good, but I'm a bit surprised - I thought people usually dug deeper to get it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Food Forum right now

Search the Food Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MSU Gets Anonymous $1 Million Gift For Gay Center 8 min Frankie Rizzo 22
In Forrest City, Delta Q is doing it right 2 hr Knock knock 8
FREE hot dogs on National Hot Dog Day 4 hr rePIGpublican 4
New Chiropractic Physician Joins the Staff at T... 5 hr Chiropractor from Chicago 8
Boys & Girls Club teens use their first harvest... 8 hr Birds Landing Bob 1
Rochester officially a 'Let's Move' city 16 hr Darlene 11
China seals McDonald's, KFC supplies after scandal 16 hr RayH 1
•••
•••