Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,476
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5766 May 2, 2013
MzLibra wrote:
<quoted text>How did your cornstarch chunks turn out? Both of my boxes of cornstarch are gone. Its been a week without any. Watching the videos have helped so, I'm going to see how long I can last.
Sorry, I didn't make them last night after all - I went to make them but then decided I didn't have enough left so I'm going to try to pick up a couple of boxes today.

When I've made chunks before they've come out ok but not that great. I see that somebody on Kenya's comments mentioned using ice water so I'm going to try that. Still not sure how much water to use to get the best, crunchiest chunks...will have to experiment.

I know I shouldn't be doing this, because I feel like I'm falling back into the cornstarch habit that I thought I had under control.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5767 May 2, 2013
Oh Mz Libra good luck with going without. Are you trying to stop permanently, or just taking a break?
munni

Hyderabad, India

#5768 May 2, 2013
kushy28 wrote:
Its very strange to listen.Mostly in rainy season before raining some nice smell of clay comes.I likes it thought of eating also but never tried.
Hi Khushy28..
hahah... very nice feeling!! i do understand..:)
munni

Hyderabad, India

#5769 May 2, 2013
indian chalkie wrote:
Hi munni,
Welcome to the forum. I know ur pregnant n i shldn't be encouraging u but i know how strong these clay cravings can be so doing my bit to help u satisfy them. There is a seller on this forum called mavu seller who has a site called big cartel and she is selling some mouth watering clay n she ships to india. Why dont u chk out her site n correspond directly. And btw i am a fellow hyderabadi n have been eating slate pencils fr over 15 yrs....my fav brand is tiger slate pencils...yummmm munching on one right now
Hey dear.. Indian Chalkie , an interesting name! ;) Nice to know dat u're a hyderabadi! So far u've been da first to understand my craving n tryin to help me out in fulfilling it!!!

can u gimme the link or something to contact her..?
by the way.. njoy ya munching!!! ;)
munni

Hyderabad, India

#5770 May 2, 2013
Clayforhealth wrote:
Also I was told by someone that all the real, good and edible clay will stick.... Is that true?
Hi ..

after reading your comments.. i remember someone say dat clay which z sticky z actually good cuz after having it.. it actually gets inside n binds the toxic things n gets out wid them which z in a way doing gud for our health... i dont like the sticky clay though! I have da same taste lyk urs.. gritty, earthy clay!! but haven't tried ny as such til date... cuz ders no one around me to know exactly why n how am i craving it!!
Stephanie

Nairobi, Kenya

#5771 May 2, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
Wacha tu! Saa hizi zinabake kwa oven, and yes I'm from Kenya eaten the red odowa, hard grey odowa, the grey supermarket odowa and the salted one. Mavus tastes more like the red odowa but with the grey supermarket odowa. Si nimechizi!
<quoted text>
Please could you let me know exactly where I can buy the clay from here in Kenya? I'm having some crazy cravings right now. Your reply would be much appreciated.
Shanu

Ashburn, VA

#5772 May 2, 2013
Hi munni
when you r doing somthing
smal peace clay pot enter youer mouth you lick this peace dont crave and after satisfaction throw the peace clay pots but pls dont eat slate pen bcs this is making stone in your baby stomachc.corn starch dont eat bcs that is dry your baby skin dry your waight put on
munni

Hyderabad, India

#5773 May 2, 2013
Shanu wrote:
Hi munni
when you r doing somthing
smal peace clay pot enter youer mouth you lick this peace dont crave and after satisfaction throw the peace clay pots but pls dont eat slate pen bcs this is making stone in your baby stomachc.corn starch dont eat bcs that is dry your baby skin dry your waight put on
SHanu... so sweet of u... Thanks for ur kind words..
I never ate cornstarch til now... n slate pencils, as I told u il try my best to get over wid it before my delivery itself.. n clay pot... ill try to do wot u've suggested n try to control myself...

As of now, red clay z all i need atleast fr a day, atleast once... n i swear i wud stop it once i get my hands on it !! Ny help pls..
munni

Hyderabad, India

#5774 May 2, 2013
LoveClay wrote:
Anyone wants red dirt? I have about 10 bags of red dirt, which i don't think I will use since I've started taking iron tablets and it really helps to curb dirt cravings.
Hi Loveclay..

im desperately waitin to have some of the red dirt.... ive been mentioning in my previous comments about it.. Can u send me samples of it.. as soon as possible.. plssss

Since: Jan 13

Pasadena, TX

#5775 May 2, 2013
Recd the Mavu clay yesterday. It's great. Tastes really earthy and I will order again. I ordered the red and white... I did n not taste the white yet. Had to make myself stop munching on the red. Ordering from Leslie today.
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#5776 May 2, 2013
All things clay wrote:
Oh Mz Libra good luck with going without. Are you trying to stop permanently, or just taking a break?
Hey ATC! I'm trying to stop all together, even with the white dirt. I've been eating more raw vegetables, especially when that craving comes upon me. Celery raw carrots and taking my iron pills. Hopefully it will help. I've been thinking what does my system look like after eating cornstarch. So I took some and added water to it and watched how thick and pasty it looked. I wondered is this how it looks trying to process thru my body. Being almost 42 I guess I've come to a place where I want to be as healthy as I can.
Alabama Red

United States

#5777 May 2, 2013
Meeee258 wrote:
Recd the Mavu clay yesterday. It's great. Tastes really earthy and I will order again. I ordered the red and white... I did n not taste the white yet. Had to make myself stop munching on the red. Ordering from Leslie today.
Hi Meeee258,
Glad you received your order from Mavu. I only ordered the red soil so I would love to get your opinion on the white.

Since: Oct 12

UK

#5778 May 2, 2013
Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
Please could you let me know exactly where I can buy the clay from here in Kenya? I'm having some crazy cravings right now. Your reply would be much appreciated.
Are you in kenya?? Clay is sold everywhere . In most supermarkets as well as on the streets . You can even dig it on the roadside if you like... Meeeen..
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#5779 May 2, 2013
I ran out of my batch of clay a few weeks ago . I ate the clay pretty quick due to the fact it was baked & tasted soo good . But my cravings has come back & I'm trying my best to not think about clay , but y'all reviews on clays & these videos are making wish I had a chunk of white dirt . I kinda wanna try cornstarch since that's everybody substitute for white dirt . But I don't know how I could hide it w/o my parents asking questions . It's a tough call but I think I can manage .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5780 May 2, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> Hey ATC! I'm trying to stop all together, even with the white dirt. I've been eating more raw vegetables, especially when that craving comes upon me. Celery raw carrots and taking my iron pills. Hopefully it will help. I've been thinking what does my system look like after eating cornstarch. So I took some and added water to it and watched how thick and pasty it looked. I wondered is this how it looks trying to process thru my body. Being almost 42 I guess I've come to a place where I want to be as healthy as I can.
Hey Mz libra, again all the best in staying off.

I've been taking more iron pills lately too, even though they don't really agree with me, because I'd like to stop as well (even though right now I can't imagine stopping completely).

I know what you mean about the cornstarch and what it may be doing to our bodies. I had a sample of what it could do this afternoon, because I had a bad experience. I've eaten a lot of cornstarch over the past day or so, almost a whole box (I could easily eat a box a day in the past, but for a long while now I only have it occassionally). I guess my body wasn't used to it anymore, because I felt so sick earlier....really bloated, like I was going to throw up, and burping continuously (sorry to be graphic). I think it was a result of the starch plus I had eaten some cheese (I had a similar experience when I drank milk and ate the starch one time before, so there seems to be a problem with me and starch and dairy).

Anyway, feeling better now but no more starch for me today so I won't be making the chunks.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5781 May 2, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I ran out of my batch of clay a few weeks ago . I ate the clay pretty quick due to the fact it was baked & tasted soo good . But my cravings has come back & I'm trying my best to not think about clay , but y'all reviews on clays & these videos are making wish I had a chunk of white dirt . I kinda wanna try cornstarch since that's everybody substitute for white dirt . But I don't know how I could hide it w/o my parents asking questions . It's a tough call but I think I can manage .
Hi Alexx, I know it can be tough but since you say you think you can manage I advise you NOT to touch the starch. As you probably know it can be very addictive and can't be good for you.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5782 May 2, 2013
Ladies who have tried Mavu's red soil and Leslie's red clay - which do you think is the best and earthiest? Can you compare the two?

I was trying to hold off until I visited the UK to order but I'm feeling like I need to order something now. I'm always afraid, though, of making a mistake especially since the total price for me with shipping is so high.

I wonder if anybody's having a sale or special offer soon?

Pasadena, TX

#5783 May 2, 2013
All things clay wrote:
Ladies who have tried Mavu's red soil and Leslie's red clay - which do you think is the best and earthiest? Can you compare the two?
I was trying to hold off until I visited the UK to order but I'm feeling like I need to order something now. I'm always afraid, though, of making a mistake especially since the total price for me with shipping is so high.
I wonder if anybody's having a sale or special offer soon?
Disclaimer: this is my opinion only.

The dirt tasted the same to me. I waited too long for Mavu's clay. Her clay is neater it comes in those rolls. I recd Leslie clay in two days waaaaaaaay cheaper. It took dang near 3 weeks for Mavu. Frustrating.... Same taste to me though. I'll buy Mavu when I got time on my hands and Leslie is still my first choice.

Pasadena, TX

#5784 May 2, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Meeee258,
Glad you received your order from Mavu. I only ordered the red soil so I would love to get your opinion on the white.
Don't like the white.... It's bitter to me
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#5785 May 2, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mz libra, again all the best in staying off.
I've been taking more iron pills lately too, even though they don't really agree with me, because I'd like to stop as well (even though right now I can't imagine stopping completely).
I know what you mean about the cornstarch and what it may be doing to our bodies. I had a sample of what it could do this afternoon, because I had a bad experience. I've eaten a lot of cornstarch over the past day or so, almost a whole box (I could easily eat a box a day in the past, but for a long while now I only have it occassionally). I guess my body wasn't used to it anymore, because I felt so sick earlier....really bloated, like I was going to throw up, and burping continuously (sorry to be graphic). I think it was a result of the starch plus I had eaten some cheese (I had a similar experience when I drank milk and ate the starch one time before, so there seems to be a problem with me and starch and dairy).
Anyway, feeling better now but no more starch for me today so I won't be making the chunks.
no apologies needed. My stomach did bloat up but being off of it I can tell the difference. I don't feel so tired or sluggish. Also started working out so that helps. Wanted to try the Argo laundry starch but I was like I don't want laundry detergent in my body. My try the edible clay in powder form for detox purposes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pizza Palace: Knoxville, Tennessee's Pizza Driv... (Jul '10) 11 hr Vern Schillinger 24
KFC unveils a triple meat Double Down 15 hr Speakeasy 1
Manny's moves into Sterling; Domino's departs D... (Feb '14) 22 hr kathykingery 3
8 million Ugandan children live in abject pover... Thu kizito 1
Mohawk Valley Memories Thu rustyshackleford 2
An Apple A Day (And Other Fall Flavors) At Leis... Thu American Gentlema... 1
Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE) 2014 ... Oct 22 Gerald Vonberger 1

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE