Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,479
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
EX DIRT COOKIE EATER

Miami, FL

#5663 Apr 23, 2013
@ Ati, I guessed then, Im not a true dirt eater, cause no clay satisfy me.
EX DIRT COOKIE EATER

Miami, FL

#5664 Apr 23, 2013
QUESTIONS

At the ladies on the forum, what do you guys think? Do you guys think there is a perfect clay dirt or soil out there. Have you guys find it? Im just curious, am i the only one who feel that way? like i cannot find a clay to satisfy my craving, to quench my craving thirst, for clay? Has any one find it in the clays that we all tried?

thanks!
ati

London, UK

#5665 Apr 23, 2013
EX DIRT COOKIE EATER wrote:
@ Ati, I guessed then, Im not a true dirt eater, cause no clay satisfy me.
u tried cornstarch? and roasted clay ?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#5666 Apr 23, 2013
StraightShooter wrote:
@all things clay,same with me I'm too shy to like it,I really do LIKE it alot!!!!Well done MAVU!!!!
@ all thing clay and straight shooter change your name on your Facebook page / change your Picture If your too shy.Hope it help
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#5667 Apr 23, 2013
EX DIRT COOKIE EATER wrote:
QUESTIONS
At the ladies on the forum, what do you guys think? Do you guys think there is a perfect clay dirt or soil out there. Have you guys find it? Im just curious, am i the only one who feel that way? like i cannot find a clay to satisfy my craving, to quench my craving thirst, for clay? Has any one find it in the clays that we all tried?
thanks!
I really enjoy the original type Mavu clay, a couple of other things and especially the earthy material that I sometimes dig up locally (gritty, but often very earthy and a bit sour). These are very satisfying but I have a feeling that red dirt or soil would be the perfect thing for me. Mavu's soil cake has been getting such great reviews; I haven't tried it yet, but can't wait to try some!

Tell me, when you say you can't find a clay to satisfy your craving - do you mean that it doesn't satisfy at all? The clays/earth that I mention above satisfy me but it is always temporary. I could eat and eat (or chew and chew, some things I don't swallow) and feel temporarily so satisfied that I couldn't eat any more but the craving always comes back.

I wish I could get rid of my craving permanently, and only eat these things now and then as a treat (I can't imagine giving up entirely).

Since: Jan 13

Dallas, TX

#5668 Apr 23, 2013
Its been 8 days... Ready for that Mavu clay..... Might have to border from Leslie in the meanwhile lol.... Refusing cornstarch though...
EX DIRT COOKIE EATER

Anonymous Proxy

#5669 Apr 23, 2013
at all thing clays, what i mean is, i could never find the perfect clay, when ever i find one it's either missing this or that, and others, i could never find the perfect earthy, crunchy, non stick clay, where i say, wow, this is it, im going to stick to that one
mary tyler

Port Arthur, TX

#5670 Apr 23, 2013
Found some information on clay in Ghana it appears that the Ghana Clay has been tested ! Good news I will try to post the information.

Location hidden

#5672 Apr 23, 2013
S
Clay soil samples
A rapid market survey was conducted at the two major markets, Madina and Makola
markets in Accra to locate the spots where clay soils were sold. Five representative
clay soil lumps were then obtained through a systematic random sampling technique
from each of 5 spots from each market [25]. These clay soil samples are known to
come from a single source, Anfoega, a town in the Volta Region of Ghana popular for
mining the clay soil as a major commercial activity. The clay soil lumps from each
market were crushed and ground in a mortar into a fine composite powdered sample.
The composite powdered sample from each market was mixed thoroughly and then
partitioned into laboratory samples in several clean 100 g size polythene bags, sealed
and then stored in a cold room till needed. Analytical samples were taken from these
bags for analyses. Market samples were not combined but kept separate for analysis

Location hidden

#5673 Apr 23, 2013
The clay soil lumps ingested by geophagic persons were found to be very dry with
mean moisture content of 0.19 ± 0.01 % despite being obtained from the open market.
The total mineral contents of the clay soil categorised by source are shown in Table 1.
The selected minerals in decreasing order of abundance were aluminium, iron,
magnesium, zinc, and lead. The toxic mineral arsenic was not detected in any sample.
Results from the acid extracts did not follow this sequence of abundance (Table 2).
The concentrations of the minerals in the acid extract in decreasing order of
abundance were aluminium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Even though lead was
detected in the powdered samples, it was not detected in the acid extracts. Arsenic
was not detected in the powdered samples and not in the acid extracts. The percentage
acid extractable fractions ranged from 1 - 37%(Table 2). Based on the percentage
extractable, magnesium was the most extractable. However, in terms of quantity, the
mineral that was of highest concentration was aluminium. Figure 1 relates the acid
extractable amounts of minerals based on 100 g of clay soil to their respective
recommended dietary allowance (RDA). Based on the RDA, the clay soil liberated a
substantial amount of iron.

Location hidden

#5674 Apr 23, 2013
Table 1:Mineral contents of clay soil ingested by geophagic persons in Ghana
and Togo
0BType of mineral* Makola sample
(mg/100g,± SD)
Madina sample
(mg/100g,± SD)
Overall mean
(mg/100g,± SD)
Aluminium 1,254.55 ± 14.00 1,224.70 ± 12.21 1,239.63 ± 13.07
Arsenic ND†
ND†
-
1BIron 959.40 ± 5.280 965.35 ± 5.326 962.88 ± 5.30
2BLead 2.30 ± 0.07 2.41 ± 0.01 2.36 ± 0.08
3BMagnesium 63.86 ± 1.24 64.70 ± 1.34 64.34 ± 1.28
4BZinc 54.27 ± 1.05 54.88 ± 1.33 54.58 ± 1.16
*Contents are on dry weight basis.†
ND is none detected.

Location hidden

#5675 Apr 23, 2013
Table 2: Acid extractable mineral contents of clay soil ingested by geophagic
persons in Ghana and Togo
Type of
Mineral*
Makola sample
(mg/100g ± SD)
Madina sample
(mg/100g ± SD)
Overall mean
(mg/100g ± SD)
% acid
extractable‡
Aluminium 39.05 ± 3.10 39.78 ± 2.83 37.91 ± 2.94 3.18
Arsenic ND†
ND†
--
Iron 14.10 ± 0.10 14.27 ± 0.13 14.19 ± 0.13 1.51
Lead ND†
ND†
--
Magnesium 23.35 ± 0.29 24.55±0.10 23.85 ± 0.31 36.44
Zinc 1.32 ± 0.05 1.47 ± 0.04 1.40± 0.05 2.57

Location hidden

#5676 Apr 23, 2013
A significant finding of this study is that the toxic minerals, arsenic and lead, were not
detected in the acid extracts. Even though some amount of lead was present in the
powdered sample, it was not detected in the acid extract. Whereas lead poisoning in
children eating contaminated soil has been reported, the type of clay soil in this study
is not a potential source of arsenic or lead [36]. Thus the interference of lead with iron
absorption under anaemic conditions is alleviated.

Location hidden

#5677 Apr 23, 2013
NTRODUCTION
Pica is defined as the craving for non-food substances or food items that are unusual
in kind or quantity [1-3]. The most common form of pica globally is geophagia which
is the ingestion of lithospheric substances, notably clay soil [4-8]. The clay soil
commonly consumed by geophagic persons contains several mineral nutrients
including magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, silicon, and iron, as well as some
toxic mineral elementssuch as lead and aluminium [4].
Several different types of clay soil are ingested by geophagic persons around the
world and vary in colour from whitish, creamy, greyish, yellowish, to reddish
[1,4,6,9]. In West Africa, particularly Ghana and Togo, geophagia involves ingestion
of a creamy-white loamy clay soil locally known as ayelo in Accra, Ghana. Some of
this clay product is mined from a clay mining town called Anfoega in the Volta
Region of Ghana close to the borders of Togo. The freshly mined wet semi-solid clay
soil is moulded into lumps ranging from about 20 g to over 200 g a piece, oven baked,
and sold in markets for ceramic, traditional and cultural applications, and to a small
extent, for ingestion.
General pica and geophagia prevalence of 48% and 28%, respectively, have been
reported in Ghana among women of reproductive age [1,10]. Other African countries
where geophagia has been reported include Malawi, Nigeria, Swaziland, South
Africa, Togo, Zambia, and Zimbabwe [3,5]. Geophagia is not limited to Africa and
has been reported in India,China, Haiti, Australia, Turkey, Germany, Mexico, Middle
East, Latin America, and in rural South of the United States of America [4,11]. In
an earlier study, the average daily clay soil ingestion among women in Accra was
reported as 70 g, range 3-488 g which was higher than the 50 g average reported
among women in rural Holmes County, Mississippi [11-13]. The clay soil ingested in
Ghana and Togo is the shale type composed of 67% silicate, 15.9% aluminium oxide,
3.4% iron oxide, 3.64% potassium oxide, 3.61% sodium oxide, 3.0% calcium oxide,
1.0% magnesium oxide, 0.6 titanium oxide, and trace amounts of other oxides [14].
ati

London, UK

#5678 Apr 23, 2013
mary tyler wrote:
Found some information on clay in Ghana it appears
that the Ghana Clay has been tested ! Good news I will try to post the
information.
mary do u have information about indian fuller earth? if u have any information plz tell me.
ati

London, UK

#5679 Apr 23, 2013
its long time i dont eat clay but now i m so scared bcoz slowly slowly my craving is back. i m hardly control my self . dont know what i do plz some one tell me
sexyprincess

Keele, UK

#5680 Apr 24, 2013
Gossip Girl wrote:
Eating Clay, so wrong. So stupid. So Bad. So nasty. This is what people think of you when you eat clay including me. So heres my advice DONT EAT CLAY or spread persenal things like that or you'll never get a date and I mean never.(Plus you'll eventually have health problems.)
hey that is your opinion. just because you don't eat clay doesn't means you should abuse others.who says its wrong, bad or nasty? you? who do u think you are to pass a judgement like that. get over yourself please. And please don't generalize people, just because u are single minded doesn't mean everyone is like you. with your attitude i think it is you who will never get a date!
yaakkk

London, UK

#5681 Apr 24, 2013
my friend tell me about this forum seriouslly u people are sick and dirty. my friend is also mad becoz she eat this stuff.
A clay eater

UK

#5682 Apr 24, 2013
yaakkk wrote:
my friend tell me about this forum seriouslly u people are sick and dirty. my friend is also mad becoz she eat this stuff.
Why come on here to provide negative and hurtful comments. Do you research before you make such comments. It's funny how people feel that they can say whatever they like behind a computer screen.

Only god can judge... Amen!
ati

London, UK

#5683 Apr 24, 2013
A clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Why come on here to provide negative and hurtful comments. Do you
research before you make such comments. It's funny how people feel that
they can say whatever they like behind a computer screen.
Only god can judge... Amen!
u ate so true clay eater. its very hurts when some one talking like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mormons carry a few more pounds (Feb '06) 41 min TRUTH 299
Pizza Palace: Knoxville, Tennessee's Pizza Driv... (Jul '10) 18 hr Vern Schillinger 24
KFC unveils a triple meat Double Down 21 hr Speakeasy 1
Manny's moves into Sterling; Domino's departs D... (Feb '14) Fri kathykingery 3
8 million Ugandan children live in abject pover... Thu kizito 1
Mohawk Valley Memories Thu rustyshackleford 2
An Apple A Day (And Other Fall Flavors) At Leis... Thu American Gentlema... 1

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE