Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9251 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

deepti

UK

#5400 Apr 2, 2013
meh wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been munching this clay since 3 years and no side effects yet, also I had tested ultrasound and lungs x-ray to assure! I got problem when once I ate clay pot piece which gave me a really really bad headache and made me to cry day & night! that was my first and last try for clay pots(same as what a girl eating in 'my strange addiction'). I love the taste of multani mitti especially when you scratch it with your front tooth so that creamy texture comes up! ummmm and yes as you said those orange marks which looks like they have been roasted! I am so craving it and it has been around 1 month off without multani, I don't think i can hold up any more, gonna buy some soon :-)
R dose pieces realy roasted...???
If I roast some normal pieces vl it taste lyk d orange pieces...?????
meh

Delhi, India

#5401 Apr 2, 2013
deepti wrote:
<quoted text>
R dose pieces realy roasted...???
If I roast some normal pieces vl it taste lyk d orange pieces...?????
you can make powder from multani mitti chunks and then by dissolving it into the water(+salt- if you like) and baking it into the sun pr oven. it may taste better and even less risk to any bacteria! in ancient time in india pregnant women used to boil multani mitti and eat that as it is or by baking it! those which we used to buy from general stores aren't baked
mahi

Delhi, India

#5402 Apr 2, 2013
deepti wrote:
<quoted text>
Multani is amazing yarr....but m little worried abt its efects on my body in futre....m 18 now....don't knw how to get reduced my earth booze...:p
oh ho ho ho.....i am 17.....:)
ati

London, UK

#5403 Apr 2, 2013
mahi,deepti how much u eating once a time?
clayaholic

Bolton, UK

#5404 Apr 2, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
Hi Ladies! FINALLY!! SOME GOOD NEWS!
The Tanzania clays will be here next week Monday!! As you may have seen my website is under construction for a new look so I shall be updating the new clays and adding clear pictures and descriptions so that you'll know exactly what you will be getting.
I am getting the original Mavu clay during the last week of April and I was going to wait till then to sell all the clays in one go but I know how long some of you ladies have been waiting!
Hopefully some of you can have a clay peace of mind knowing that the Tanzania clays are going to be on sale on Monday 8th April!
Any questions please don't hesitate to ask at [email protected]
Yeesss!! Finally we have a date! Thanks Mavu for making these clays available. I'll sure be the first to buy!
Pica_chu

Washington, DC

#5405 Apr 2, 2013
bluestoneclay wrote:
thanks mary moor
i assume you would want it dry as well, the piece in my hand is wet , its the clay from the video, cream clay.
it does dry nicely, actually the processed north slope clay i make is in cake form first , i dry it in trays then i crush and screen it.
It is the clay the health nut was eating and claimed it was amassing. Tell you what, if you want to try it, i could send you a slab to taste, it is lab tested safe and will not harm you.
you pay to ship and ill give you a sample to nibble.
i don't have any of the cream clay dry.
paul
I would also like to try please :)
Anonymous

United States

#5406 Apr 2, 2013
Has anyone had soil cake before and what does it taste like?
deepti

UK

#5407 Apr 2, 2013
meh wrote:
<quoted text>
you can make powder from multani mitti chunks and then by dissolving it into the water(+salt- if you like) and baking it into the sun pr oven. it may taste better and even less risk to any bacteria! in ancient time in india pregnant women used to boil multani mitti and eat that as it is or by baking it! those which we used to buy from general stores aren't baked
Okiee I vl try it tom.
I vl bake it in microwave...:)
mary tyler

Atlanta, GA

#5408 Apr 2, 2013
alternativeal wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why so many clay eaters get sick, esp. later in life.
The site you are referring to above, along with another you mentioned in an earlier post is not a supplier of food grade clay. They sell clay for artisan or building material purposes. This is why the cost is so cheap. These clays are not tested for safe mineral levels or pathogens. The particle size of construction use clay is also of a larger and heavier grade and so, will tend to cause intestinal blockades. Most of these clays contain high levels (certainly not acceptable for ingesting)of known harmful minerals such as;
lead, arsenic, mercury and cadmium, to name a few.
Often, I see comments here regarding the value of clay, as if its just "dirt" and its only a "natural source"... Hello, most natural resources are of high value! This is especially true with high grade quality clays that are found in pristine settings and have been lab tested for purity, safety and meet food grade standards. THAT, is why you pay more for some clays over others.
A quality health clay will improve you health when taken as directed by the manufacturer. It will provide loads of balanced micro and macro minerals as well as assist your body to detox.
Try asking one of these construction or modeling clay suppliers for a lab analysis of their clay and you will most likely get, "Huh?" for an answer.
Regarding the issue of high shipping cost? If you go to UPS.COM you can see what it would cost to ship a 30 or 50 lb box from your zip code to the manufacturers zip... then, you'll know if the seller is making money on the cost of shipping or just passing on the shipping cost dictates from the carrier.
So, my advice to you, and many others who mingle in this forum... is to take a look at the measure of value you place on your health?$1 per pound seems to be the acceptable number here.
Really??
It would benefit you to change your perspective and seek out your clay in health stores or health sites and inquire about a lab analysis before you buy. Otherwise, you just won't have a clue what it is your are putting in your body.
It's true that its not good to over eat clay... but, it down right foolish to over eat an unhealthy clay!
Good Luck and God Bless :)
Wow , Wow ,Wow
ackee

Bronx, NY

#5409 Apr 3, 2013
The clay from mutt and Jeff is so good. It is soft with a little crunch and very earthy. I have not had this earthy taste in a long time. All the other clay I bought was not earthy at all everything else was good. I know if I dry it out a little more it would be more crunchy but I kind of like it the way it is. It melts in your mouth and do not stick at all. Just thought I would share. yum!!!

Since: Apr 11

Germantown, WI

#5410 Apr 3, 2013
ackee wrote:
The clay from mutt and Jeff is so good. It is soft with a little crunch and very earthy. I have not had this earthy taste in a long time. All the other clay I bought was not earthy at all everything else was good. I know if I dry it out a little more it would be more crunchy but I kind of like it the way it is. It melts in your mouth and do not stick at all. Just thought I would share. yum!!!
I am glad you are enjoying your clay. It is so nice when we find the kind of clay that we like. It is like clay heaven.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#5411 Apr 3, 2013
swabbi wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad you are enjoying your clay. It is so nice when we find the kind of clay that we like. It is like clay heaven.
That is so true.
Alexx

Decatur, GA

#5413 Apr 3, 2013
Is it okay for somebody to send me clay & ill pay for the shipping ? Or is that me asking for too much ?
cornstrach eater

Woodbridge, VA

#5414 Apr 3, 2013
Alexx wrote:
Is it okay for somebody to send me clay & ill pay for the shipping ? Or is that me asking for too much ?
What's your email? Have u talked to your mom yet about it
Alexx

Decatur, GA

#5415 Apr 3, 2013
cornstrach eater wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your email? Have u talked to your mom yet about it
[email protected]
I talked to my mom & told her that I am anemic & that I eat white dirt . She doesn't approve of me eating it but she said she won't stop me from eating it & even lend me a little money . So she knows & I am trying to do things independently . It feels good to let somebody know what I do in my alone time , especially somebody who takes care of me everyday .
feedme more clay

Cleveland, OH

#5416 Apr 3, 2013
Alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
[email protected]
I talked to my mom & told her that I am anemic & that I eat white dirt . She doesn't approve of me eating it but she said she won't stop me from eating it & even lend me a little money . So she knows & I am trying to do things independently . It feels good to let somebody know what I do in my alone time , especially somebody who takes care of me everyday .
u r lucky abt ur mom lettin u eat white dirt ma dad wnt allow me even it was de last tin on earth.but dis craving is gettin worse i need white dirt fr real
Alexx

Decatur, GA

#5417 Apr 3, 2013
feedme more clay wrote:
<quoted text>u r lucky abt ur mom lettin u eat white dirt ma dad wnt allow me even it was de last tin on earth.but dis craving is gettin worse i need white dirt fr real
It wasn't easy telling her but she had to understand that I am dealing w/ pica & if she wasn't going to take me to the doctor & get me some iron pills then all she can do is try to support me on my habit . I've been struggling for a while to tell her & even then she thought it was a phase until I made her do some research . But she puts me on restriction on how much money she gives me ... Every month . But if I can get clay then I'm happy . No complaining from me .
ati

London, UK

#5418 Apr 4, 2013
meh wrote:
<quoted text>
you can make powder from multani mitti chunks and then by dissolving it
into the water(+salt- if you like) and baking it into the sun pr oven.
it may taste better and even less risk to any bacteria! in ancient time
in india pregnant women used to boil multani mitti and eat that as it is
or by baking it! those which we used to buy from general stores aren't
baked
what is boil multani mitti?
meh

Ashburn, VA

#5419 Apr 4, 2013
ati wrote:
<quoted text>
what is boil multani mitti?
boil refers to 'ubalna' by making small pieces. According to what I had read in moderation it helps in colon cleansing.
Ameesha

Ashburn, VA

#5420 Apr 4, 2013
Hi i m indian there r easily available only multani matti so eat it i m not the crazy about this but i lov this clay taste bcs this crunchy and earthy i lov those taste

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Over 2,000 pounds of crawfish being delivered t... 1 hr Kelly 67
News No Joke: Unconscious man rode on car's trunk fo... 2 hr 07 Mustang 5
News Amazing Sweet Spot offers a fair take on desser... 14 hr Tumbleweeds 2
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... 19 hr silly rabbit 11
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Tue Find phartse 225
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Tue Twigeater 979
News 'Doughnut lady' finds new home (Feb '08) Mon Homer Simpson 5
More from around the web