Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,830
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story

Since: Apr 11

Milwaukee, WI

#2368 Sep 26, 2012
Chalk lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Swabbi, hope ur well. I would love to have a clay party too!!!! The idea has crossed my mind a few times. Clay, chalk, cornstarch - just absolutely anything and everything clay, earthy, powdery :-) Happy clay eating everyone.
God bless
Hi chalk lover. How have you been?
royal

Hyderabad, India

#2369 Sep 26, 2012
guys plz tell me where will get white dirt in hyderabad india plz guys i am dying here to taste don tell to eat multani mitti . other than multani mitti tel me some other plz guys
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

#2370 Sep 27, 2012
Hello PPL!@All things clay...The one in Bloemfontein is so creamy,earthy,crunchy and smooth especially the white one I remember when i started eating it(the white one)it was so addictive i could not put the packet down my other clay friends stopped me immediately teling me about constipation,so i stopped eating the white one i guess i got scared,but i'm telling you the white one is very very nice,the one i'm currently enjoying is the yellow one....
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

#2371 Sep 27, 2012
Hi C,I get my clay at Hoffman square,you will love it instantly it's so neat and smells fresh....there was a time when i bought it at midrand and i also saw that it was not clean it had those dark things...eish thats a total no no for me.....
clayer

Johannesburg, South Africa

#2372 Sep 27, 2012
StraightShooter wrote:
Hi C,I get my clay at Hoffman square,you will love it instantly it's so neat and smells fresh....there was a time when i bought it at midrand and i also saw that it was not clean it had those dark things...eish thats a total no no for me.....
Hi SS, Is Hoffman Square in JHB?. i deff will look for it. Do you roast your Clay or you eat it like that? i like it processed, it has this lovely smell once roasted, i can finish the R2.00 packet within a day.
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

#2373 Sep 27, 2012
@C,Hoffman Square in Bloem,The lady sells roasted and non roasted clay,normally I buy both...C,ijhoo how big is that R2.00 packet?
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#2374 Sep 27, 2012
StraightShooter wrote:
Hello PPL!@All things clay...The one in Bloemfontein is so creamy,earthy,crunchy and smooth especially the white one I remember when i started eating it(the white one)it was so addictive i could not put the packet down my other clay friends stopped me immediately teling me about constipation,so i stopped eating the white one i guess i got scared,but i'm telling you the white one is very very nice,the one i'm currently enjoying is the yellow one....
I would love to try both of them . sounds really good .
clayer

Johannesburg, South Africa

#2375 Sep 27, 2012
StraightShooter wrote:
@C,Hoffman Square in Bloem,The lady sells roasted and non roasted clay,normally I buy both...C,ijhoo how big is that R2.00 packet?
Wow, how do i get it from Bloem . will look for it if ever i go there. the lady does not send supplies to JHB?. R2 pack is those small shiny plastic bags that vendors use for to pack measured things. maybe it's 200 or 300g depending on the persorn selling.. how much do you eat. i have never tasted the white one, Kempton park only sells the brown one. you seem to have the luxury from were you get your from.
angela

South Richmond Hill, NY

#2376 Sep 27, 2012
royal wrote:
guys plz tell me where will get white dirt in hyderabad india plz guys i am dying here to taste don tell to eat multani mitti . other than multani mitti tel me some other plz guys
hey royal. In india you could buy the box of chalk that kids use to write on the slate. they are long skinny chalks. they are made of kaolin clay ( which is white dirt). I don't no if there is a place you could find kaolin clay somewhere. but yeah the long skinny white chalk ( slate ki batti is what we called it ). tastes exactly like white dirt.
kaolin white dirt lover

Mcdonough, GA

#2377 Sep 27, 2012
angela wrote:
<quoted text>
hey royal. In india you could buy the box of chalk that kids use to write on the slate. they are long skinny chalks. they are made of kaolin clay ( which is white dirt). I don't no if there is a place you could find kaolin clay somewhere. but yeah the long skinny white chalk ( slate ki batti is what we called it ). tastes exactly like white dirt.
how much does the chalk cost ?
mzlibra

Newport News, VA

#2378 Sep 27, 2012
have pica wrote:
<quoted text>Flint Michigan. My husband know an hate that I have pica when I had my 1st son I would eat none thing but cornstarch an it had to be Argo in the box. I'm with my 2nd child an it has come back bad.. what is white dirt?
White dirt is kaolin clay its just another name for it. If you google white dirt or go to www.whitedirt.com u can find it. If u enjoy cornstarch u may enjoy this as well. Im about to try the cocoa powder in some cornstarch. What kind of cornstarch are u eating now?
Alex

Mcdonough, GA

#2379 Sep 27, 2012
I am craving that creamy texture of white dirt . ugh . waiting for my package to arrive in the mail from ackee .
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#2380 Sep 27, 2012
that's my comment above . I don't know how it switch to alex .
have pica

Dyersburg, TN

#2381 Sep 27, 2012
mzlibra wrote:
<quoted text>White dirt is kaolin clay its just another name for it. If you google white dirt or go to www.whitedirt.com u can find it. If u enjoy cornstarch u may enjoy this as well. Im about to try the cocoa powder in some cornstarch. What kind of cornstarch are u eating now?
kroger brand
mzlibra

Newport News, VA

#2382 Sep 28, 2012
have pica wrote:
<quoted text> kroger brand
I was on that brand for awhile too. Now I'm on the great value brand by Walmart. Have u tried the brand "Cream". It's pretty good. Clabber girl i tried awhile back in the box but, the dollar store stopped selling it and i really didnt like it in the can.
bhaw sharma

New Delhi, India

#2383 Sep 28, 2012
angela wrote:
<quoted text>
hi angela,
I am from India, and i used to eat chalk 4 years ago which went through straight 2 years.. at that time chalks were really earthy and crunchy in taste also they were very cheap! just 5rs. and i could buy a box of 100 pieces! sad that it's a past and no longer such chalks are available.now, the chalks in the market comes with waxed surface(dangerous for health):/ but whatever happens happen for a reason at least i am not addicted to chalks anymore!:D
Katty

Shoreham-by-sea, UK

#2384 Sep 28, 2012
flyy girl wrote:
<quoted text>
i eat clay as well and i have never experienced any side efects. if i have the chance i would eat clay everydday but it hard to get clay in london.i have been eating clay for 19 years sicne i was 1 years old. please if you know where to get clay from let me know. here is my email. darcy303@hotmail.com. just remember ur not the only one with this habit.
If there's a chance you're still reading this then downs chalk(everywhere in sussex) is a very good substitute for clay. I harvest then bake mine to kill any harmfull organisms in the oven for about 1h at 150 deg c. Been doing it for years and throughout my pregnancy. My baby is perfect :)
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#2385 Sep 28, 2012
craving clay . it's been since may that I had red clay . but I'm craving some white dirt . I keep reading people descriptions online & looking at pictures but I really want to taste some for myself . to see would I recognize the taste from when I was a child . ugh ! cravings are getting stronger .
cornstarch eater

Woodbridge, VA

#2386 Sep 30, 2012
Katty wrote:
<quoted text>
If there's a chance you're still reading this then downs chalk(everywhere in sussex) is a very good substitute for clay. I harvest then bake mine to kill any harmfull organisms in the oven for about 1h at 150 deg c. Been doing it for years and throughout my pregnancy. My baby is perfect :)
What do u mean by harvest?
clay curious

Brooklyn, NY

#2387 Oct 1, 2012
yummclay wrote:
<quoted text>
This site sells white clay, but I didn't like the taste, because it wasn't earthy at all.
I even left it out for weeks:
http://whitedirt.samsbiz.com/
If someone has another site, please share!:)
where do you usually get your clay from?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diet and nutrition should be stressed in mental... 1 hr HumanSpirit 2
Chipotle betting big on animal welfare 4 hr common sense 1
Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe and Chicken Wing Dip 8 hr tbird19482 2
The First Sushi Restaurant on a Japanese Colleg... 10 hr WORMDRUGBBCMIDEBD... 31
Community Calendar, Nov. 28 to Dec. 31 12 hr stories that matter 4
Talking turkey: Capriotti's builds big business... 16 hr peggyssweet 1
Trip Tips: On the trail of Solidarnosc in Gdansk 19 hr Blackbrotha 3
More from around the web