Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

wow

Tucson, AZ

#2307 Sep 23, 2012
adaku wrote:
<quoted text>wow,how was the clay,was it earthy?dusty? gummy?or sand?really curious to knw What it tastes and looks like.
adaku, it looked something like this:
http://cambreenotes.com/wp-content/uploads/20...

The texture was very sandy, but I got a few pieces that were gummy like clay.
It tasted like the smell you get after a rainy day that hits the dirt, but that's the pieces I got; other people are saying differently.
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2308 Sep 23, 2012
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
adaku, it looked something like this:
http://cambreenotes.com/wp-content/uploads/20...
The texture was very sandy, but I got a few pieces that were gummy like clay.
It tasted like the smell you get after a rainy day that hits the dirt, but that's the pieces I got; other people are saying differently.
Hmmmmmm,thanks for sending that,my friend from zimbabwe onze Told me that she was used to something similar back home.they used to get their red dirt or clay from anthills,they just shovelled off the hills and ate them and according to her it was the best ever,when she got to the uk,it took her a great while before she started eating the white gana clay.unfortunately free samples closed giving samples(i really understand Why,and its sd that things couldnt have been handled differently)im sure my friend will love to have Some....to free samples...im shocked that anyone will threaten and like all things clay said we wanted clarifications,a lot of people asked qestions,and no offence was meant.the regular ladies here are quite civil and just enjoy talking about their crave and how they deal with it.im Sorry things turned this sour,but feel free to come share your experiences anytime,the frum is open to all.cheers
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2309 Sep 23, 2012
Before i got on this frum,i thought i was going crazy from the crave,infact there were times i tot i may have to get checked for ocd.it was ackee,cornstarch eater,all things clay,swabbi and a host of other ladies who tried in different ways to profer suggestions as to Why we indulge,i wasnt so ashamed of the act but i was proud of it either and people around just did not think pica existed.Some of us worried about its relationship with infertility and wanted to achieve moderation or abstinence...today i amb glad to say that i seem to b more in control,if i get Some great,if i dont i can carry on with other activities,unlike in the past,i would think and worry and get on edge till my supply and when it does i Finish a kilo in 48hrs!recently i cant seem to do more than 4_6 pieces at a time and i have you ladies to Thank for that.from my opinion i think this frum is healthy for those who want to quit,eat a little at a time,find where to buy clay,or just talk about their experiences.i just hope others will respect peoples views,and comment without agro.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2310 Sep 23, 2012
Adaku, I agree with you. I have to say bcz of you and many others my cravings has decline tremendously. I do have to say I am not on Iron. When you are alone and have no one to talk to about whats happening to you it can be difficult. I believe knowing you are not the only one and then talking to others going through the same thing has helped me greatly and for that I am thankful for. I still love clay but I can control my intake now while b4 my life was all about eating. When I did not have it I would think about it, salivate and could not wait to get home and indulge. I think about it still but not so much. I can go a week and not have any at all that is how far I have come. I nibble a little once in awhile.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2311 Sep 23, 2012
I like this forum bcz we can comment on others comment without taking offense and converse. We also give our opinion and many have respected that which is the way it is suppose to be. I am sorry that happened to "free sample" Please let us know how you started eating clay. I would love it if you would share.
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2312 Sep 23, 2012
ackee wrote:
Adaku, I agree with you. I have to say bcz of you and many others my cravings has decline tremendously. I do have to say I am not on Iron. When you are alone and have no one to talk to about whats happening to you it can be difficult. I believe knowing you are not the only one and then talking to others going through the same thing has helped me greatly and for that I am thankful for. I still love clay but I can control my intake now while b4 my life was all about eating. When I did not have it I would think about it, salivate and could not wait to get home and indulge. I think about it still but not so much. I can go a week and not have any at all that is how far I have come. I nibble a little once in awhile.
Yeah,thats my story you are talking about,i went on iron and it helped but for Some reason it aggravated my ulcer and my GP took me off it,hoping to change to another,my work scheduled hasnt giving me time to go pick up my prescription so at the moment,i amb not on iron tabs,but i have lost that intense salivation that makes me wanna inhale dust pending when my fix arrives,truthfully i nibble when i get but that crazy 'i must have this stuff right now'has reduced tremendously...i am glad.
Tiger Lily

Ardsley, NY

#2313 Sep 23, 2012
If you are interested in the Ghanaian clay called "ayelo" email me at teacheratheart1@gmail.com . I have a shipment coming straight from Ghana on Tuesday, September 25, 2012,
this is funny

Sioux City, IA

#2314 Sep 23, 2012
I don't feel sorry for free sample you came on as someone who know someone who had red dirt. Then you said you had clay an sent out dirt.the lady told someone to shut up an ppl went crazy she has the right. Just like the ish starter on here. Most of the ppl on here I feel sad for. An was it only ppl from dyersburg that got clay an how do the person who call themselves wow know? Because like at the beginning free sample is playing like someone Rosa.. how sad.
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2315 Sep 23, 2012
this is funny wrote:
I don't feel sorry for free sample you came on as someone who know someone who had red dirt. Then you said you had clay an sent out dirt.the lady told someone to shut up an ppl went crazy she has the right. Just like the ish starter on here. Most of the ppl on here I feel sad for. An was it only ppl from dyersburg that got clay an how do the person who call themselves wow know? Because like at the beginning free sample is playing like someone Rosa.. how sad.
she Told 2 people to shut up,now my question to you is this,will she have made her point without saying that?i was not convinced about free samples and so were others and qestions were put forward,people will always b on the other side of the fence,and What makes us matured is being able to put our opinions across as civil as possible,for christsake all things clay put up Some irregularities she observed,she did not have to shut any1 up to do that.
mzlibra

United States

#2316 Sep 23, 2012
Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is doing well......almost finished my 2nd box of cornstarch that I bought last week. Going to buy another box tomorrow. The funny thing is I'm taking iron pills and some other vitamins but I truly love cornstarch.....maybe I will stop for awhile again but right now my cravings are full steam ahead.....LOL! I did mix some of my bentonite clay in my cornstarch. The taste wasn't bad, the bentonite is very salty but I would do it again.......
StraightShooter

South Africa

#2317 Sep 23, 2012
Ladies PLEASE may we put this matter of free sample to rest,she said her goodbyes already.Lets move on please guys....Love u all!!!
gebe

Sioux City, IA

#2318 Sep 23, 2012
StraightShooter wrote:
Ladies PLEASE may we put this matter of free sample to rest,she said her goodbyes already.Lets move on please guys....Love u all!!!
Amen sister
wow

Tucson, AZ

#2319 Sep 23, 2012
Thanks so much adaku for your kind words. I've actually watched over this forum for about 2 years now, but was too shy and afraid to type on here, but then I realized what do I have to be afraid of?
I want to try cornstarch, but I heard it makes you put on weight and I know my husband would be very suspicious if I started getting bigger. He tries to keep me from eating clay, dirt, sand, etc. but it just tastes so good and I can't find anything that matches the flavor and texture.
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#2321 Sep 23, 2012
man I'm craving clay soo bad !! wish I had some to chew on right now .

Since: Apr 11

Germantown, WI

#2322 Sep 23, 2012
Ok Just for fun. Don't you all think it would be totally fun if we all could get together and have a clay tasting party? Everyone bring in different clays and everyone just going around tasting the different clays? Heck throw some cornstarch in there too. LOL
anilove

Ghana

#2323 Sep 23, 2012
am also addicted to clay and don't know how to stop.my mom says it's not for our health and our fertility as ladies
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2325 Sep 23, 2012
swabbi wrote:
Ok Just for fun. Don't you all think it would be totally fun if we all could get together and have a clay tasting party? Everyone bring in different clays and everyone just going around tasting the different clays? Heck throw some cornstarch in there too. LOL
hahahaha,that would b great!
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2326 Sep 23, 2012
alexx wrote:
man I'm craving clay soo bad !! wish I had some to chew on right now .
i know that feeling sis,it will probably keep bothering you till you get it,hang in there...
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2327 Sep 23, 2012
wow wrote:
Thanks so much adaku for your kind words. I've actually watched over this forum for about 2 years now, but was too shy and afraid to type on here, but then I realized what do I have to be afraid of?
I want to try cornstarch, but I heard it makes you put on weight and I know my husband would be very suspicious if I started getting bigger. He tries to keep me from eating clay, dirt, sand, etc. but it just tastes so good and I can't find anything that matches the flavor and texture.
well,i dont take cornstarch,but its understandable that you can put on so much weight if you eat it in loads as its quite starchy,but if you have a way of burning FAT(early morn run,going to the gym,a very active job)then you may get lucky.most husband just dont understand Why.my husband still asks me Why i ever eat this stone made of sand,he makes an issue out of it when he isnt busy...
Mary Tyler

Vidor, TX

#2328 Sep 23, 2012
Hi Everyone I'm craving clay really bad I'm trying to stop eating the ones out of my sand because of parasite ...I found some on Amazon the 25LB air drying gray clay.Have anybody ate this clay before and If so What does it taste like?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rachael's Stoup (Recipe): Database Mon Abishai100 1
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Mon Raiders Pharts 267
News India is on the hunt for 24 - untraceable' hist... Mon Archaeonaut 1
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) Sun Plotts 61
News DETAILS : Hannibal, Mo. (Aug '07) Jan 12 ProctoRocket 3
News County News: Cream cakes and bread rolls spille... Jan 12 Suezanne 1
News Etobicoke parents advocate for school nutrition... Jan 12 No surpriz bought... 1
More from around the web