For NY farmers, fracking means salvation _ or ruin

May 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Ledger-Enquirer.com

In this Feb. 2, 2012 file photo, organic dairy farmer Siobhan Griffin stands in a field with her cows a field at Raindance Farm in Westville, N.Y. While other states are reaping the wealth of the Marcellus Shale, New York has had a moratorium on drilling for four years while it overhauls regulations amid intense lobbying for a ban.

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Jul 10, 2013
jake

Montrose, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

I think you meant to say wind turbines, they are not wanted for many reasons.
1. migration of bird's fly into the blades.
2. they are an eyesore for many people.
3. it take's many wind turbines to produce energy.

And if fracking contaminate's well water then show me the proof, thousand's of gas well's in NY and other states have been around for a long time, i have done water analysis on many well's near NG well's and have never found a problem from drilling.
Mike

Norwich, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Fracking DOES have incidents of contaminated wells, anyone saying otherwise is a liar, simple. Wind turbines are not half the eye sour of the pipes, nor do the smell of toxic fumes. racking causes 3 waste sites or concerns, first the seeping mess underground, 2nd the seeping mess right above ground where is stored and the last, where it goes for waste.
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Mike wrote:
Fracking DOES have incidents of contaminated wells, anyone saying otherwise is a liar, simple. Wind turbines are not half the eye sour of the pipes, nor do the smell of toxic fumes. racking causes 3 waste sites or concerns, first the seeping mess underground, 2nd the seeping mess right above ground where is stored and the last, where it goes for waste.
If wind turbines are feasable, then why don't you see one in everbody's back yard?
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Where's our renewable energy?
Michael

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

I tinker with biodiesel from old cooking oil... but only on a very small scale i.e. 5 gallons or so at a time...

Does that count ?

:-P
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

If it's OK with the NIMY people around you.
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

NIMBY people
Michael

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

The thing is that my neighbors have gotten used to seeing strange things being assembled in my back yard... everything from larger batches of beer being brewed... to the biodiesel... to setting up pvc pipes with wires for a radio telescope... trying to burn out a stump with home made thermite... to actually firing off a prototype mini pulse jet engine - though for that last one I did provide warning about the noise level...

So I don't have to worry much about the NIMBY type folks... though I hope my neighbors are laughing with me instead of at me when they see what my latest contraption(s)/ "experiments" are... lol !
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

year's ago i built and assembled my own gang mowers to pull behind my ATV while my neighbor's mow their two acer's or more with a 46" cut lawn tractor, what a waist of time for them to take half a day mowing, not to mention the cost of gas and polluting the air, this is one thing i wish my neighbor's would copy me on.
Michael

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Jake wrote:
year's ago i built and assembled my own gang mowers to pull behind my ATV while my neighbor's mow their two acer's or more with a 46" cut lawn tractor, what a waist of time for them to take half a day mowing, not to mention the cost of gas and polluting the air, this is one thing i wish my neighbor's would copy me on.
Now I have to ask...

Do you have pictures of your contraption and if ya do - how about you post it to something like photobucket so you can link it here and we can all see your ATV lawn mower...
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

where can i go see your pic's of the backyard activities you talk aobut? wielding and making pivot point's with grease fitting's isn't hard to do when makeing gang mower's, i don't make my own beer because it's so easy to do, but i do grow my own grape's by makeing the PH in the soil reach the right level and in return a good harvest and good wine.
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

michael....your getting offtopic here, go back to the beginning with the headline's reading,For NY farmers, fracking means salvation_ or ruin.
Michael

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Jake wrote:
where can i go see your pic's of the backyard activities you talk aobut? wielding and making pivot point's with grease fitting's isn't hard to do when makeing gang mower's, i don't make my own beer because it's so easy to do, but i do grow my own grape's by makeing the PH in the soil reach the right level and in return a good harvest and good wine.
I'll have to dig through my old drives but once upon a time I had posted a pic ( Gannett sites ) of the radio telescope - complete with 2" PVC poles stuck here and there in my yard...

Btw not to disagree but... when I make beer - I make beer...

I've got my own yeast cultures i.e. grew some from dregs of beer I liked on agar plates that I made from scratch myself then transfered to a bunch of culture tubes... just starting up a batch ( yeast alone ) takes several days to get a good liquid culture... the wort itself is from whole grain so have to do the entire starch conversion ( blending different barley roast levels - get to and hold to proper temp including compensating whether I want a fuller bodied beer or a "lighter" / stronger one )... then there is the fermenting itself... then the bottling and / or kegging - normally a combination of the two for larger batches...

Finally - about 8 weeks or in the case of some of my Belgian's - 6 months to a year down the road... kick back and drink it with friends...

Btw on the wine side I also do a mead from time to time but no luck on wine recently... I have an entire side of my yard that has wild grape vines but years of trying to tame them and get them to produce how I would like and no luck...

:-(
Michael

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Jake wrote:
michael....your getting offtopic here, go back to the beginning with the headline's reading,For NY farmers, fracking means salvation_ or ruin.
Ok fine...

So you are saying that in the USA - that grain and other farm products are being sold below their fair market value i.e. a value representing the time and effort and so forth required to produce those goods... and as a result the only thing that will save farmers is - well - not to farm but do something else...

One really glaring problem with / hole in that argument:

If your claim that farming were so unprofitable that the farmers needed to lease mineral rights to find "salvation" were true... then few to none would be farming and you and I and everyone else would be dead from starvation...

That was the premise behind what you were claiming - right ?!
Jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

The farming i do is for self pleasure, i raise Hereford's to help pay my tax's, the dairy farmer i know want's drilling and say's that the Goverment is already running the business by controling price's so let them take it over while i sit back, relax and enjoy myself for a change.
guas

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

To all of you that think frackingis good. Or that there's nothing wrong with it. Just watch "gasland" you'll never look at fracking the same
jake

Vestal, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Gasland is all lies, ive seen for myself and know many people employed for your gas companys, there is no problems, watch Fracnation, they prove the lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Food Forum right now

Search the Food Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Boys & Girls Club teens use their first harvest... 17 min STFUBLB 2
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 19 min crazy 4 stuff 7,850
Meat supplier in China scandal has global reach 1 hr the answer 2
Products from Azerbaijan receive 'registration'... 3 hr Dander 1
Presidential library planned for Chicago Chicag... 4 hr hands on AR 2
Rochester officially a 'Let's Move' city 4 hr Country Boy 13
Fried brains and stomach soup on the menu at bu... 6 hr If Only 6
•••
•••