Italian eateries find homes in southw...

Italian eateries find homes in southwest Volusia County

There are 49 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 19, 2008, titled Italian eateries find homes in southwest Volusia County. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

If you love Italian food, southwest Volusia is the place to be. In less than a year, three eateries -- Bumbino's Italian Ristorante, Pomodoro's Italian Restaurant and Bella Vita Italian Restaurant -- have moved ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Whole Foodie Fan

Lady Lake, FL

#1 Jun 19, 2008
This sounds good for the area, however I would like very much to see something like Panera's, Crispers, or even a Whole Foods located in that huge building on 17/92 which has never been occupied. It would be a great location with plenty of parking and easy access.
WTH

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#2 Jun 19, 2008
Whole Foodie Fan wrote:
This sounds good for the area, however I would like very much to see something like Panera's, Crispers, or even a Whole Foods located in that huge building on 17/92 which has never been occupied. It would be a great location with plenty of parking and easy access.
NO!! No more chains!! Orange City has enough of them.

I like the mom & pop places. Can't wait to try them out!
Hilton Head

Maitland, FL

#3 Jun 19, 2008
There has been a great Italian restaurant in this area for years. Tony's in the Market Place shopping center. Best Italian food that I have tasted in this area, and by far the best pizza. Just my opinion.
Lady Stella

Altamonte Springs, FL

#4 Jun 19, 2008
Hilton Head wrote:
There has been a great Italian restaurant in this area for years. Tony's in the Market Place shopping center. Best Italian food that I have tasted in this area, and by far the best pizza. Just my opinion.

I have to agree Tonys is Awesome, they have great Pizza but it is really Kool to have more choices close by. I really hope the community supports them. I can't wait to try them out. People just need to step outside of the box once in a while and try something new.
Hilton Head

Maitland, FL

#5 Jun 19, 2008
Lady Stella wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree Tonys is Awesome, they have great Pizza but it is really Kool to have more choices close by. I really hope the community supports them. I can't wait to try them out. People just need to step outside of the box once in a while and try something new.
Very true, I had been to Bella Vita before they moved to the new location and wasn't happy with the food or service. I will be trying the other two locations soon. Angelino's by the Wynn Dixie in Deland is also good.

Since: Jan 07

St Pete

#7 Jun 20, 2008
I prefer Bellini's in downtown Deland. The food is great, the prices are great and the service is outstanding. I've been going there for the past 18 years. It's family owned and operated. The decor is very tasteful. Just make sure you have cash on you as they do not take debit cards.
Question

Sebring, FL

#8 Jun 24, 2008
Has anyone eaten at Pomodoro's yet? It sounds like food I'd like. BTW I agree I would kill for a Whole Foods somewhere in Volusia County. Winter Park is just too far to drive and I'm tired of the selections at our grocery stores here.
WTH

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#9 Jun 24, 2008
La Dolce Vita in DeLand is also good. I've eaten at the Bella Vita and thought the food was GOOD. A bit pricey, but good.

I've heard GREAT things about Pomodoro's. The only bad thing I've heard is it's not big enough - therefore the wait can sometimes be long.
Dont Bother

Lake Mary, FL

#10 Jul 3, 2008
My husband and I went to Bumbino's after reading this article. The restaurant is small and there were three servers that night in addition to the counter people. It did not seem like the servers knew what they were doing, they were all over the place. We were there for an hour and a half. Ordered an appetizer and a slice of pizza in addition to our entrees which was eggplant parm and a calzone. My husband's dinner came out first. I was told my calzone was not ready yet. I asked that they take his dinner back and bring both entrees out at the same time. The server kept coming back to the table telling me it would only be 5 more minutes. Thirty minutes later still no calzone. Thirty five minutes later we left. Won't be back.
Northern transplant

Melbourne, FL

#11 Jul 7, 2008
Pomodoro's is excellent! They have great home made family Italian food. Everything that I've had has been excellent. I'm slowly working through the menu and considering how big it is I still have a ways to go. The service is great and normally the wait isn't bad. They did a great job on decorating it and you don't feel like you're in a strip mall restaurant. They started offering a lunch menu which is great since it's a smaller price and portion which is perfect for lunch. They also just brought back pizzas (not big ones just personals) and the chicken marsala pizza is awesome! If you're looking for a place for good Italian food I highly recommend Pomodoro's.
fan of bumbinos

United States

#12 Jul 16, 2008
first off bumbinos is small true and servers tend to be a little confused with what they are doing how ever the food is wonderful and remember they are only open less then 4 months so you all need to ease up and let them work on getting the right staff i for sure will be going back for the food is worth it.
1bad apple ruins the lot

Allen, TX

#13 Jul 16, 2008
Dont Bother wrote:
My husband and I went to Bumbino's after reading this article. The restaurant is small and there were three servers that night in addition to the counter people. It did not seem like the servers knew what they were doing, they were all over the place. We were there for an hour and a half. Ordered an appetizer and a slice of pizza in addition to our entrees which was eggplant parm and a calzone. My husband's dinner came out first. I was told my calzone was not ready yet. I asked that they take his dinner back and bring both entrees out at the same time. The server kept coming back to the table telling me it would only be 5 more minutes. Thirty minutes later still no calzone. Thirty five minutes later we left. Won't be back.
I have been frequenting Bumbinos for the past couple of months. The food and prices are excellent. We get prompt service with a smile. You should definitely give it a try.
Local8

Allen, TX

#14 Jul 18, 2008
Northern transplant wrote:
Pomodoro's is excellent! They have great home made family Italian food. Everything that I've had has been excellent. I'm slowly working through the menu and considering how big it is I still have a ways to go. The service is great and normally the wait isn't bad. They did a great job on decorating it and you don't feel like you're in a strip mall restaurant. They started offering a lunch menu which is great since it's a smaller price and portion which is perfect for lunch. They also just brought back pizzas (not big ones just personals) and the chicken marsala pizza is awesome! If you're looking for a place for good Italian food I highly recommend Pomodoro's.
Maybe I tried on an off night but Pomodoro's was mediocre at best. Both my wife's entree as well as mine were quite bland. We enjoy salads - those that accompanied the meals were tiny and warm/ wilted slightly. Prices were high for the quality or should I say lack thereof. Come on Chef, if someone pays $16+ for a shrimp dish, more than 5 measly shrimp hidden by mounds of cheese and bread crumbs is expected. Service was also sub par. Doubt I'll try it again. I can get a better meal elsewhere for half as much.
gonna try it out

Altamonte Springs, FL

#17 Jul 24, 2008
First off, the number for bumbino's is 386 2 2 8 0885, in case anybody is wondering.(I had a hard time finding it). I haven't ate there, but I'm about to order from there. I'll reply with what I find.
As far as pomodoro's goes, My wife and ate there last week for the first time. I was actually impressed with it. The atmosphere is great with a very upperclass feel to it. It is a little too small for my taste but others may find it cozy. It is great for a quiet date. The service was good. I would compare it to an olive garden-type mom and pop place. The food was good but not great. I had sausage linguini (or something like that) it was ok. My wife had chicken alfredo which was great. However, I found it to be a little on the pricey side. Overall, I gave the place a B+. My wife is a little picky and she would have given it a C or C+. We'll definetley give it another try, though. Hope this helps.
DELTONA

Richardson, TX

#18 Aug 7, 2008
Bumbino's in Orange City, the food was okay. Prices were comparable. The owner has no business running a restaurant. She's not only rude to her employees, but also to the customers. You needs a good lesson in manners & hospitality!
lighten-up

Tavares, FL

#19 Aug 10, 2008
come on people, the food at bumbino's is GREAT, the prices are right where most families can afford,and last but not least the owner is from the old school,the Italian way,she runs a tight ship and thats the road to success.She is watching out for all your butts to get the right service and atmosphere.what you see is what you get with that lady. and i say you go girl!!

St Pete

#20 Aug 12, 2008
lighten-up wrote:
come on people, the food at bumbino's is GREAT, the prices are right where most families can afford,and last but not least the owner is from the old school,the Italian way,she runs a tight ship and thats the road to success.She is watching out for all your butts to get the right service and atmosphere.what you see is what you get with that lady. and i say you go girl!!
Bellini's in downtown Deland is also owned and run by an Italian family. And the owner doesn't yell at his employees in front of customers. For that matter he doesn't yell at his employees, he talks to them like they are human beings, not animals or trash.

Yelling at your employees isn't the proper way to treat them and it is a good way, imho, to lose customers. I would never go to a restaurant that is run that way.
Hilton Head

Winter Garden, FL

#21 Aug 13, 2008
I've never had a bad meal or experience at Tony's in the Market Place, Orange City. Great Pizza!
lighten up

AOL

#22 Aug 14, 2008
you gotta be a jerk,your probably not even Italian.My family and all my friends love Bumbinos,the food the staff the owners, and this area has been crying for a family run home cookin place for the 17 years I've been here so stay in Deland at Bellin's don't know who you are or care but I know you won't be missed.

St Pete

#23 Aug 22, 2008
lighten up wrote:
you gotta be a jerk,your probably not even Italian.My family and all my friends love Bumbinos,the food the staff the owners, and this area has been crying for a family run home cookin place for the 17 years I've been here so stay in Deland at Bellin's don't know who you are or care but I know you won't be missed.
Just because someone's opinion differs from your own does not mean they are automatically a jerk. You're correct, I'm not Italian. But, I do know that talking down to people is not how you get them to perform their job duties as you would like them done. There is at least one family run restaurant in the Orange City/Debary area and it has been there for well over 17 years. Granted it is not an Italian restaurant, but it home cooked food. I do plan on staying a loyal customer of Bellini's, especially if your attitude is any indication of the type of "loyal" customers Bumbino's has to offer. A little tip, atmosphere and the attitude presented by the employees of any business has a significant impact on whether or not customers return there. Enjoy your day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... (Jun '15) 1 hr True Judgement 789
News Bob Evans tests investors' patience as sales co... 4 hr safesnoun 14
News Food fight: Trump vs. Clinton 9 hr Mullahing It Over 1
News Underwood's B-B-Q in Brownwood, Texas Review (Jul '09) 11 hr TEAPEA 110
News Former OSU grid stars, friends to open The Pit ... 13 hr Big Johnson 2
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 18 hr karinoweb 62
News A&W holds its 8th annual 'Burgers to Beat MS' p... 20 hr Kevin is Leery Al... 1
More from around the web