A 'somber' day: Chiquita leaving Gulfport after 40 years

May 14, 2014 Full story: Sunherald.com

Chiquita and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced the move in New Orleans on Wednesday, around the same time the state port director in Gulfport, Jonathan Daniels, received word from the company in a telephone conference.

Read more
hey now

Pascagoula, MS

#1 May 15, 2014
I live over in jackson Co. & back in 2008 or 09 I went to Singing River Mall & I chatted with the man at the manager booth. He kept bragging about how Sears & Penney were going to be there forever. He also said a big store like Costco or something was coming & that they were going to do a big ass remodel or something.

Now they're basically tearing it down & converting it into a Super Walmart with a few adjacent strip malls.

Not very reassuring for the coast economy.

My point is - the director of the port may say "we have solid replacements lined up" but until the ink is on the paper & they're breaking ground "don't count the chicks before they're hatched."

I suspect strongly if they can even get another tenant in this economy that they'll have to lower rent rates & fewer people will be needed to bring in crap.

The problem is that there's just no demand in the US economy. Who the hell has any money to spend?

These big companies don't like going to these small cities like Mobile or Pascagoula or Gulfport -- they like staying in the big places like Houston or New Orleans or Tampa....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Red Sticky Rice- street food in Vietnam 4 hr VietnameseLanguag... 1
"Com ruou" - special vietnamese food 4 hr VietnameseLanguag... 1
" Banh u"-Food in The Double Fifth festival 4 hr VietnameseLanguag... 1
News Outside France, foodies are gorging themselves ... 8 hr common sense 30
News Why no Illinois state vegetable? 11 hr TMG 1
News Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 17 hr red clay lover 8,945
News Save Mother Earth. 43 Ways To Reforest The Planet Sun Crusher 1
More from around the web