Florida Mountain turnips' popularity knows no bounds

Full story: North Adams Transcript

As area residents and restaurants prepare for their Thanksgiving feasts, one local side dish is always in high demand -- the famous Florida Mountain turnip.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2013
Laurie Sanderson-Diaz

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

I can remember having the mountain turnips when I lived there. My father and I were just talking about it the other day. We both said we would love to get our hands on Florida Mountain Turnip. We still have them every year for Thanksgiving but as the article states, it is not the same.Let me know if you start shipping out of state, I will be your best customer!!

Since: Jun 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2008

i cant even find em in state, i tried calling drury farms even-no turnips!

i think people should shut up about them until they're readily available.

if they only get a few hundred bushels , and restaurants buy the bulk, how is everybody talking about them?where are you gettin' em from? everybody that's talking about them knows somebody who knows somebody? or are most of them just repeating what they heard?

i'm beginning to think it's a legend or myth.
Kathy

Cohoes, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2008

jassy303 wrote:
i cant even find em in state, i tried calling drury farms even-no turnips!
i think people should shut up about them until they're readily available.
if they only get a few hundred bushels , and restaurants buy the bulk, how is everybody talking about them?where are you gettin' em from? everybody that's talking about them knows somebody who knows somebody? or are most of them just repeating what they heard?
i'm beginning to think it's a legend or myth.
we got ours weeks ago. Biggest turnip I have ever seen! and it was delish! My husb picked it up at one of the local farm stands

Troy, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2008

which one?
whatever

Goshen, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2008

you can call Stanley Brown. He will be able to tell you if he has any left, or where you can get some turnip.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

i tried the brown residence,a very nice lady gave me a few numbers to try ,but no callbacks as of yet. these turnips are harder to track down than a talking elmo at christmas.
taxpayer

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

I think we got ours from Whitneys Farm stand

Since: Mar 08

Rensselaer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

I wanted to respond to your turnip dilemma before now,"jassy".

I do not turnips; at all.

Florida Mountain or otherwise.

I can attest this years crop was huge.

I was given gifts of Florida Mountain turnips from a couple of different people. This happens to me every year.

Being I don't like to offend, I graciously accepted the gifts and promply give them to someone more deserving than myself.

I wish I had know about your dilemma sooner.

I would have gladly given you the turnips.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

thank takecare, the sentiment means alot, i think i got a line on some thanks to mrs. brown(or whomever the pleasent gentlewoman at stanley browns number was)now i just have to drive up the trail. thankfully the gas prices have come down enough to travel at will.
turnips

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

takecare wrote:
I wanted to respond to your turnip dilemma before now,"jassy".
I do not turnips; at all.
Florida Mountain or otherwise.
I can attest this years crop was huge.
I was given gifts of Florida Mountain turnips from a couple of different people. This happens to me every year.
Being I don't like to offend, I graciously accepted the gifts and promply give them to someone more deserving than myself.
I wish I had know about your dilemma sooner.
I would have gladly given you the turnips.
Turnips are a lot like you,ugly and bitter.

Since: Mar 08

Rensselaer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

turnips wrote:
<quoted text>
Turnips are a lot like you,ugly and bitter.
Thank-you very much,"turnips".

Coming from you; I take what you say, as quite the compliment.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

what about me ... am i like turnips?

i like turnips- i like takecare-the poster from "johnson"ville is always unliked round here.
Leebo413

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2009

I live in western mass. How can I get a hold of a florida mountain turnip ??
thecind

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Leebo413 wrote:
I live in western mass. How can I get a hold of a florida mountain turnip ??
Jaeschke's has them .. Pittsfield, MA.. not cheap, but if you want them, give them a call or just take a great ride and visit.. they always have everything. Crane Avenue, Pittsfield, MA
jimbo02

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2013

If you have facebook then go on and get into Berkshire tag sale they STILL have them for sale! hope this works for ya! ;)
SUE

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

take the short senic drive to adams MCANDREWS -KING RT8 see Peter for a real deal!! nice people to do businees with
REAL TRUTH

North Adams, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

SUE wrote:
take the short senic drive to adams MCANDREWS -KING RT8 see Peter for a real deal!! nice people to do businees with
They are almost as stupid and annoying as you!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••