France develops a taste for British c...

France develops a taste for British cheddar

There are 6 comments on the The Guardian story from Dec 23, 2012, titled France develops a taste for British cheddar. In it, The Guardian reports that:

"They do take a lot of convincing," admitted Marie Quatrehomme, an award-winning Parisian cheesemonger, "but once they do, they're very happy with it."' The problem, she said from her illustrious Left Bank cheese shop, Quatrehomme , is that "cheddar is well-liked by the French once they try it, but at the same time it's very little known." Slowly, ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guardian.

rio

Bromley, UK

#1 Dec 23, 2012
Who would have ever thought of that? Sacrebleu!
straa

UK

#2 Dec 23, 2012
Cheddar is the most known cheese in the world, alongside parmesan. French food is not very good, i can't think of any food that is native to France, I mean everyone knows about the great italian food, from pasta, spagghetti, bolognase, canalonni, pestrami,meatballs, lasagne, pizza, mozzarella and all the other great Italian foods, but in france, I've only ever heard of snails and frogs legs, it sounds disgusting. Italian, Indian and english food is so much greater to the unknown food they have in france
rio

Bromley, UK

#3 Dec 24, 2012
straa wrote:
French food is not very good, i can't think of any food that is native to France,

I've only ever heard of snails and frogs legs, it sounds disgusting. Italian,
Well, that's because you are a complete idiot who knows nothing about food!!

The French hardly ever eat snails and frogs legs anyway, but have invented among the best recipes in the world. The French invented most of the sauces that exist and have been copied in other countries: bechamel, mornay, etc... The way French chefs prepare beef, poultry or fish is very famous.

French cuisine is known worldwide and attacts millions of visitors every year. It is also taught in many countries like Britain for example. France gave its vocabulary to the kitchen, and most famous chef have learnt French expression for cooking.

Just another of your stupid comments, straa.
Pinky B

Latham, NY

#4 Feb 21, 2013
Oh right. Because French are more used to their own brand of cheese and of course trying out something new and good would totally knock their socks off. But people reading this would probably be wondering,'what is all these fuss about this article? These are just cheese for goodness sakes.' But no. They are totally different. With different history, taste and processes. Maybe you should get yourself acquainted with these different kinds of cheese and order some at trusted cheese stores like http://www.idealcheese.com

Since: Mar 12

Issy-les-moulineaux, France

#5 Feb 21, 2013
rio wrote:
Who would have ever thought of that? Sacrebleu!
If you guys are rediscovering your traditional products and make them more readily available, count on the gourmands of this world to appreciate them !

NB The Cornish chamber of commerce came to a Paris trade show (SIAL) a couple of years with farm Cheddar and Cornish whisky. Both were glorious stuff.(we are not talking orangey plastic substance here but real cheese...)

Since: Mar 12

Issy-les-moulineaux, France

#6 Feb 21, 2013
straa wrote:
Cheddar is the most known cheese in the world, alongside parmesan.
.. and 90% of the production of both is absolute crap. Good parmesan is rather expensive and bears no relationship to the vomity powder bearing the same name. Industrial cheddar is no better

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pizza delivery man assaulted in Harrisburg 2 hr Elizabeth 1
News 5 trends in specialty pizzas 2 hr Elizabeth 1
News Keep junk food off kids' TV (and the In... 5 hr Three Days 13
News Hardee's announces plans for 84 locations in Ohio 5 hr VCNZX 29
News Syria: is this the end of hope? 6 hr little lamb 1
News Inside Washington: Ag groups seek exemption fro... 7 hr RustyS 1
News Old firehouse will become Fire Engine Pizza 7 hr America Gentleman... 1
More from around the web