Dunkin' Donuts evicted from Downtown ...

Dunkin' Donuts evicted from Downtown corner | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 59 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 24, 2011, titled Dunkin' Donuts evicted from Downtown corner | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Michael Flynn of Columbus peers into the closed Dunkin' Donuts at Broad and High.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Too Bad

Columbus, OH

#1 Mar 24, 2011
I think the problem is the parking thing there; no easy, quick park/run in/run out! I've OFTEN wanted to stop for a quick donut, but it means I have to find a place to park first. Which is darn near impossible and totally inconvenient at broad & high. City planners - how 'bout investigating the value of free 15-minute parking spots outside these businesses!? I'm sure other businessess would do better around there if cars were "allowed" to conveniently park outside the establishments.
watcher

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 24, 2011
The downtown is not and never was a place for people to live and thrive. There is nothing there. Now for the real problem: Where are the police gonna get their donut fix? Now, that is a shame.
Rok

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 24, 2011
trolly station, trolley syation, trolley station. yyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a!!!!!!!! trolley station
Hmmm

United States

#4 Mar 24, 2011
I would've gone there a lot more often if the place was open on Saturday and Sunday morning.
another possible thought

Columbus, OH

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Maybe customers didn't feel comfortable with the gauntlet of homeless begging and street preachers yelling in their ears? Many people try to avoid that area.
Wonka

United States

#6 Mar 24, 2011
All the comments are correct. Street people and others hassling for cash, no parking and when you do park, find the change, you usually find a ticket because you took too long so no wonder downtown is dying and with the current city leadership, I don't think it will come back.
WOW

Galloway, OH

#7 Mar 24, 2011
My problem was the fact it was under staffed. I went in sever times in the morning and they had two staff working and the line out the door. Customers walked away because of the line.
skessler

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 24, 2011
Something fishy here. If a business cannot make it at the prime location of Broad and High, then something is very very wrong. And suprise, suprise, the Worthington location is in the same mess - not paying rent. DD should do some digging.
WakeUpOhio

Mount Vernon, OH

#10 Mar 24, 2011
Parking was the issue. No easy way to park, run in, and grab those cholesterol laden sugar filled delights. This is Ohio, if you can sell food that is bad for your health here, where else could you sell it?
wow

Cleveland, OH

#11 Mar 24, 2011
I thought Coleman's vacant condos and cheesy park forced down here would of saved the day.....
Well then

United States

#12 Mar 24, 2011
It's a doughnut shop. If you can't make a profit by 2 pm, you've got no business selling doughnuts and coffee.
Not Times Square

United States

#13 Mar 24, 2011
Sounds like the landlord may be charging too much rent. This is Columbus, not Times Square. Get real, already!

I saw plenty of people there in the mornings.
Not Times Square

United States

#14 Mar 24, 2011
WakeUpOhio wrote:
Parking was the issue. No easy way to park, run in, and grab those cholesterol laden sugar filled delights. This is Ohio, if you can sell food that is bad for your health here, where else could you sell it?
It's downtown! People don't run downtown in their cars to get take-out! People who work down there or change buses downtown will run in and grab something.
Ironic

Dublin, OH

#15 Mar 24, 2011
Don't you find it ironic that a police officer had to deliver the eviction notice? Probably the hardest thing he's ever had to do!
Low carb for me

Dublin, OH

#16 Mar 24, 2011
WakeUpOhio wrote:
No, I think carbs was the issue. Americans are going for the low carb lifestyle.
Do Tell

Westerville, OH

#17 Mar 24, 2011
You cant copy New York city..its the prime location and still not enough ....sounds like piss poor planning to me

Since: Jul 10

Lewis Center, OH

#18 Mar 24, 2011
It's just moving to China or India.
Balls Deep

Grove City, OH

#19 Mar 24, 2011
"Maybe it was customers' misperception of what Dunkin' Donuts was," he said, noting that "it offered more than just doughnuts."

You have got to be kidding me. Dunkin Donuts sells coffee too??
Hilliard resident

Columbus, OH

#20 Mar 24, 2011
Think a more interesting comment may be how many businesses have actually occupied this site in the last 10 years...and been successful? Think the location has been a proverbial revolving door. The location is mediocre at best for a restaurant or retail. Just because it has visibility doesn't make it a great location. Feel sorry for the next "chump" that tries to operate from this site. Expect they will last 12 to 18 months.
GoFigure

United States

#21 Mar 24, 2011
Guess I'll go to Spinelli's Deli right up the street at High and Gay for my breakfast or lunch now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) 50 min inmate from a lv5 39
News Where to eat in Austin now: 6 favorite restaura... 5 hr FavoritePhartzs 3
News Construction under way on Trevioli Italian Kitc... 9 hr Will Dockery 6
News Vito and Nick's II: Now In a Supermarket Near You (Nov '11) 14 hr pizza pete 28
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Sun Human 976
News Wendy's testing a 'pretzel burger' (Jan '13) Sat Lisa 3
News Northwest Side gains new Indian dining spot Sat Tim 2
More from around the web