US: Chinese Seafood Detained for Safety

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Farmed seafood joined tires, toothpaste and toy trains on the list of tainted and defective products from China that could be hazardous to a person's health.
Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
BOYCOTT CHINA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2007

I wouldn't buy one more cotton pickin thing from China. Not one thing. Not even a pair of shorts.
Nika

Villas, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2007

BOYCOTT CHINA, I'm actually enjoying my PERMANENT boycott on "Made in China."

I'm saving a LOT of money; it's easier and better for me to do without what I normally would have bought; and I'm brushing up on my sewing skills as I buy fabrics "Made in U.S.A."

But how odd, that with this whole INTENTIONAL contamination crisis, Americans will be celebrating the Fourth of July with fireworks "Made in China."

Makes me wonder what those fireworks are composed of now...lethal gases perhaps???
Taxes Out

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2007

JFK hospital in Atlantis uses toothpaste made in China.

What a poor excuse for a hospital that place is!!!!

Never go there folks-------
CHINA SUCKS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Nika wrote:
BOYCOTT CHINA, I'm actually enjoying my PERMANENT boycott on "Made in China."
I'm saving a LOT of money; it's easier and better for me to do without what I normally would have bought; and I'm brushing up on my sewing skills as I buy fabrics "Made in U.S.A."
But how odd, that with this whole INTENTIONAL contamination crisis, Americans will be celebrating the Fourth of July with fireworks "Made in China."
Makes me wonder what those fireworks are composed of now...lethal gases perhaps???
Health food stores carry lots of stuff from China. Especially teas. Watch out.
Nika

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

CHINA SUCKS, thanks for the extra awareness you offered, and you are right about the teas.
About a year ago, I bought some tea imported from China at our local Sam's Club...then very shortly after buying it, I read that their pesticides for the tea plants are not regulated and were very, very toxic.
Any other awareness that you have to offer, please let me know. Thanks!
TEA TIME

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

Nika wrote:
CHINA SUCKS, thanks for the extra awareness you offered, and you are right about the teas.
About a year ago, I bought some tea imported from China at our local Sam's Club...then very shortly after buying it, I read that their pesticides for the tea plants are not regulated and were very, very toxic.
Any other awareness that you have to offer, please let me know. Thanks!
I wonder if Lipton uses any tea or tea leaves from China. How can you find out? The label only says the country it's distributed in. Doesn't have to say that any of it's ingredients are from China.
TEA TIME

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

I emailed Yogi Teas and they answered me with please call our 800 number. They would not come out and say in writing that none of their ingredients come from China.

Same goes for any product. They only say on the label where it is distributed from.

That tainted dog/cat food had US distribution labels but the deadly ingredients came from China.
Nika

Villas, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

TEA TIME, as I sit hear drinking the last of my already purchashed Lipton tea, you had a VERY good question...and wait 'til you read my research...which I was more than glad to do for you...found on different w/s's.

-Lipton grows their own crops in India, Kenya, and Tanzania, HOWEVER, since all teas are blends...

-Lipton includes tea plants from 35 unspecified countries.(aha!)

-At present, more than 40 countries have their origin directly or indirectly from China.

-China exports 80% to 90% of the world's teas and tea plants...

-that would include even the better teas like Darjeeling for use in their blends.

-I looked under "safe tea brands" also. None to be found. I speculate that other countries who produce tea plants don't use regulated pesticides.(of course none are made in the U.S., but even if they were, they would still have to import from other countries such as China in order to make their blends)

However, prior to all of this, as an animal advocate, I had already planned on boycotting Lipton tea (distributed by Unilever) because Unilever experiments the tea and their other products on animals. So I was about to begin a search for a different tea anyway, BUT obviously they're all out of the question now due to the China factor.

Anyway, it is now apparent why Yogi Teas wouldn't answer your question pertaining to any of their ingredients coming from China.

IF I find a "safe" tea, I will pass it along.
Nika

Villas, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

A general note from my consumer research: any company that only marks "distributed by" should be scrutinized...because China does not always label their exports.

Let's all hope that Congress passes the C.O.O.L. law (Country Of Origin Label) whereby making it mandatory that consumers will know where the products came from.
Ironically, grocery stores and restaurants are the main protesters against this law because they said it would be too expensive and time-consuming due to having to keep records!(I kid you not) Hey, what the heck if there's a few fatalties due to their foods, right??? Money, as usual, is the most important thing to them...but I wonder if they ever thought about lawsuits. Hmmmm?????

Next subject: garlic. Once again, China exports most of their garlic to us...putting CA garlic farmers at a loss...and the quality of China's garlic is very inferior, thus cheaper...plus it's a food product that should be questionable coming from China.(makes me think twice about the next time I eat at an Italian restaurant)
Miss Prim

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

If you're going to boycott Chinese goods, you might as well not buy anything. Make everything from scratch at home and never buy a new appliance or vehicle.

If consumer goods aren't assembled or manufactured in China outright, some of their parts or ingredients probably are.

Interestingly enough, even though fraud is a capital offense in China, capital punishment does not appear to be a deterrent.
Nika

Villas, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

MISS PRIM, not particularly resulting in capital punishment, but I think unlawful acts in the U.S. don't become punishable crimes until people get caught, ie, the Enron guys.
Yet, somehow some our corrupt politicians are able to avoid punishment even after they have commited proven illegal offenses. Whatever, nothing deters people who are focused on fraud, murder, or any other crime anywhere.

It is very, very possible to boycott "Made in China." All it takes is some research on the computer, commitment, doing without if necessary, purchasing from another country when necessary, and good ol' American ingenuity.

w/s with products still made totally in America:
http://www.usstuff.com/productlist.htm

Just one of many sites dedicated to "buy American" and also sites that tell IF there are any parts made in China. There are sites that also tell of foods that are still grown in America...and there are sites that can be researched to find out the sources when the labels only read: "distributed by."

Patriot

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

We should be doing the same thing here for a while. I'll bet things straighten up real quick, from the oval office on down.
Patriot

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

BOYCOTT CHINA wrote:
I wouldn't buy one more cotton pickin thing from China. Not one thing. Not even a pair of shorts.
Good luck with that.
TENNESSEE TUXEDO

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

BOYCOTT CHINA wrote:
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR GOING TO BE RUNNING AROUND NAKED!
Tony

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

I just sent Kroger an email telling them that I am posting this china seafood thing to all my contacts...employees, business contact, personal lists et al. Also advised them that we will be looking at all products for chinese inclusion of additives etc.

Also let them know that if any health problems occur, carefull record keeping will be done and the case will be litigated as the evidence allows.

It is time for the American Population (you know who and what you are) to take their money elsewhere. I will not eat chinese garbage and so called "sea bass" and other strange stuff..made up names to make Americans think they really have something good on their plate!.while all the while is is trash fish or old fish or injected fish.

Look what has happened to the shrimp industry in the U.S....just about gone.. Now where do you think those shrimp come from at Kroger....That's right...They have been farmed, frozen, flown or sent on refridge containers...God knows how OLD the stuff is...to good ole Kroger et al.

No more for me unless it see it move or personally know the guy who SAW it move.

Damned tired of it all.

Tony
Miss Prim

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2007

Nika wrote:
It is very, very possible to boycott "Made in China." All it takes is some research on the computer, commitment, doing without if necessary, purchasing from another country when necessary, and good ol' American ingenuity.
I will look at this. Thanks for posting it.
Nika

Villas, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

MISS PRIM, no problem.:)

In a way, you were right though about might not as well buy anything if boycotting "Made in China." Practically any item one can check in a retail store, no matter what kind of store, no matter what item, is made in China. It's like it's forced down our throats. However, as I've said in my other posts, I'm saving a LOT of money on things that I normally would have bought, and find I really can do without...and it really is fun to me bec I feel like I can fight "the system" without them having control over my consumer dollars.
I also find it very enlightening, and I enjoy doing the research to actually find better things that are made in America.
Reading labels and checking ingredients has been an old habit of mine, but now this makes it more of an interesting challenge.
And because of my boycott, I actually found an outdoor grill at Home Depot for $29, made in America, does the job perfectly, whereas I normally would have spent over a hundred or so to buy one of those elaborate ones that are made in China, and I read the parts break after a year, and replacing them is expensive.
I'm brushing up on my sewing skills, buying fabrics made in America.
Yep, it has become a different kind of "consumer world" for me, and I'm really enjoying it. It just takes changing some habits, committment and some research.
For example, it's just as easy to buy Corelle dinnerware sets that are made in America rather than Cuisinart that is made in China.
Miss Prim

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Tic Tac wrote:
Wonder how many Muslims there are in China
There are approximately twenty million Muslums residing in China:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-...

Now, what does this have to do with the quality of Chinese goods or is your summer vacation that boring already?
Yao Ming

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

What do you know wrote:
Gee the Muslims hate us and the Chinese are trying to kill us and our pets.
You don't bite the hand that is feeding you.
Janie

Maitland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

Yay the exec killed himself!

Now if everyone there responsible for the horrid things they do to animals would kill themselves too, we'd all be in so much better shape.

Boycott China.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••