Arnold Takes Their Passion for Bread ...

Arnold Takes Their Passion for Bread a Delicious Step Forward

There are 213 comments on the story from Apr 2, 2007, titled Arnold Takes Their Passion for Bread a Delicious Step Forward. In it, reports that:

“We're able to create such delicious breads because we use only the freshest, most natural ingredients without compromises.”

Beginning today, Arnold Foods Company, Inc., the bakers of Brownberry, will take natural goodness to a new level with five premium Natural breads. via

Join the discussion below, or

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
John Buteau

Chicago, IL

#201 Oct 18, 2010
Have you ever found a recipe for this great bread?
Beverly wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, Karin...I thought from all the previous postings I'd read that the "Natural Wheat" was definitely being brought back, but I couldn't tell what the status was on all the other recipes.(I never actually received a response to my own contacts with the company.) Well, that IS good news!
Missing Brownberry

Oxford, GA

#202 Dec 14, 2010
I have missed the Healthnut Bread so much and called when it was discontinued back in 2007. I was told that no one really missed it.
Today, I went online to see if it was being made again and called the company. I was again told that no one missed it and that it was not possible to make a bread that was wanted by only few people.(I am paraphrasing.) The rep told me that it was still being made in the midwest where it originated. Is it really the same bread?
My suggestion is to go to Panera's Bakery/Cafe and get their bread or make your own. I am going to make an effort to not buy any more Arnold's brand anything.
Does anyone have a copy of the ingredients of the original HealthNut Bread?
Allan S

New York, NY

#203 Dec 23, 2010
Catherine Clark in 1960 made cookies comparable to Pepperidge Farms are they still made and sold in the Mid West if not why not

Since: Dec 10

Vernonia, OR

#204 Dec 28, 2010
Glenn Loos-Austin wrote:
Is there anything out there that's like what it used to be? I've been eating Brownberry Health Nut bread for decades. I'll give the new bread a chance, but I can tell from outside the packaging by a simple squeeze that it isn't anything like the old product.
I can make bread so close to health nut you will not be able to tell the diference.

Vernonia, OR

#205 Dec 28, 2010
Jim in Minneapolis wrote:
When I learned Brownberry would be no more, I bought the last 60 loaves I could find and froze 'em. They're now gone. Has anyone found a decent substitute? Something with whole wheat... a loaf with real "heft"... a slice that doesn't fold down when you hold it by an edge? Pleeeeze?
Jim I should send you a loaf of my version of BBO WW bread. One taste and you'll be hooked.

Beaver Dam, WI

#206 Dec 29, 2010
Beverly wrote:
NOTE: I am searching for the ORIGINAL Catherine Clark/Brownberry ovens Natural Wheat Bread recipe...the one which has CRACKED WHEAT as its first ingredient (vs the crushed wheat noted on the Arnold Brand bag). When I find it, I'll spread the word. If any of YOU find it, please do the same. Thank you.
Hello, I am a new bakery products, Product Developer. I develope signature items for large and small bakery manufacturers who have made millions of dollars from my creations. I miss the good ol' taste of BBO Wheat Bread, Health Nut, Raisin Nut, and Bran Bread. So I took upon myself to create my own version of the BBO bread. With wonderful results they are perfect.
If you like I can share, only by sending you a loaf of Natural Wheat Bread. Free! You can spread the word after you try my bread. Just so you know I also have had the pleasure of taking part in developing products for Catherine Clarks BrownberryOvens.

Portage, IN

#207 Jul 21, 2011
The Brownberry Healthnut seems to be the only relatively firm whole wheat bread available at our (Champaign-Urbana, IL) grocery stores. I am happy with its taste and texture. Recently it seems that they have reduced its size. It measures about 3.25"x3.75". Has anyone else noticed this?

Betsy Kuck

Martinsville, VA

#208 Aug 18, 2013
If Arnold has brought back CC Brownberry Healthnut, Natural Wheat breads in 2007' they don't send it to Virginia. It is now 2013. What a loss. Those breads were the bomb! Harvest Breads here I come.
Diane-NE Ohio

Madison, OH

#209 Oct 5, 2013
I have been a customer of Brownberry Natural Wheat (Catherine Clark's Original Recipe ) bread for years. I have watched it's slices get thinner and the loaf smaller..... but I still bought it because it was still fairly good. But the last five or six loaves with the first ingredient "cracked wheat" on it have been difficult to eat. Most of the wheat was NOT cracked, not crushed either. The kernels were whole and so hard I damaged some of my crowns on them. What is Arnold doing to a once great product??? They must not want to stay in business. Well, they are going to lose my business .

United States

#210 Oct 6, 2013
Hello everyone. Listen I bake the bbo natural whole wheat bread and health nut for myself and family. I use the original recipe from Catherine Clark. I worked for her long ago. What a wonderful person. Her breads are no longer available formulated the way she made the breads. For over 30 years I have not been able to find the original bread. Companies that have bought out bbo over the years have changed her recipes. This happens because compaines cheapen the products to make more money. They have too. Labor and processing cost continues to increase.
Betsy Vidt

Gibsonia, PA

#211 Jan 16, 2014
I MISS that old version of heavy wholesome healthnut bread that nobody could ever compare to. BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Zionsville, IN

#213 May 12, 2015
Not buying Brownberry bread based on my experience trying to track down Double Protein bread.
Dot Eckers

Mankato, MN

#214 Friday Nov 13
I just purchased a loaf of Brownberry Italian bread. I was surprised to see how thick the slices are. I am not fond of the thick slices, so I won't be buying this again. I was Accounting Supervisor for Catherine Clark in the 1960's before I got married & met my husband there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump touts program with dark history as deport... 4 hr Who 634
News New restaurant Gourmet Eatery opening Wednesday 8 hr CDF 2
News McDonald's worker teases homeless man with food... 11 hr Poo-Bear 3
Is Tipping Now a Thing Of The Past? 16 hr tonechiang 1
News Fast-food workers protest all across U.S. for $... 22 hr d pants 301
Food Processing Industry Mon williamcostiganjr 1
News MEDWATCH: This dieters' drink may not be your c... (Mar '07) Mon Jasmine 147
More from around the web