Lewisburg racking up votes in cool town contest

Jan 20, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Charleston Daily Mail

West Virginia is once again in the running for Coolest Small Town in America, an annual contest sponsored by Budget Travel magazine.

Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Feb 28, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Barbara Aguilar

Huntington, WV

#1 Feb 10, 2011
Lewisburg Is DEFINITELY A COOL SMALL TOWN, BUT SO IS FAYETTEVILLE. They ARE Both UNIQUE AND Exhibit A Warm "WELCOME HOME" FEELING. Both HAVE AMAZING RESTAURANTS. BOTH HAVE AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT VIBE, However. TO ME, LEWISBURG Feels Like GUCCI HEELS, and FAYETTEVILLE Feels MORE LIKE SANDALS AND FLIP FLOPS. Although LEWISBURG IS A BEAUTIFUL AND CHARMING PLACE, FAYETTEVILLE FEELS MORE LIKE "HOME". I Guess IT Depends ON Your LIFESTYLE, BUT TO BE ABLE TO Leave HOME AND BE IN THE DEEP WOODS IN A Matter OF Minutes IS PRETTY AWESOME. THERE'S no BEAUTIFUL NEW RIVER GORGE IN LEWISBURG, AND no ONE goes there TO RIDE THE RIVER, OR CLIMB THE ROCKS, BUT none the less IT IS IN WEST VIRGINIA, AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. HOPEFULLY SOMEDAY FAYETTEVILLE WILL CATCH UP WITH THE FESTIVITIES. IN THE MEANTIME, I TRULY LOVE LIVING LA VIDA LOCA HERE IN FAYETTEVILLE, FLIP FLOPS ABUNDANT, AND A MIX OF SOME AMAZING PEOPLE. I STILL THINK IT IS THE ABSOLUTE COOLEST SMALL TOWN.
Duh

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Feb 10, 2011
Gucci??? Really??? You must not be from lewisburg! Nothing like Gucci! But you are right, lewisburg is a great place but I wouldnt go there with Gucci!
Duh

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Feb 10, 2011
Oh ya what happens in lewisburg every year?? A huge party! Fair time! Fayetteville dont have that! But there are hikin trails there are several outdoor things to do.. Lewisburg is a good ole town.. And it is HOME.. Sorry you dont feel that way but we do!
Duh

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Feb 10, 2011
Might be a little outta line sorry for that but everyone has there view on things, to me lewisburg is home. There is a littlebit of everything we have the greenbrier river to the lost world caves we got a littleof it all. Thats why Lewisburg is theCOOLEST
wow

Marlinton, WV

#5 Feb 10, 2011
Lewisburg sucks, nothing here but hippies and crappy shops in town.
Tin-Foil Hat Guy

Hewett, WV

#6 Feb 10, 2011
I guess Lewisburg would be pretty cool if I fit in. But I'm not huge redneck, rich yuppie, or druggie hippy. Most of the normal people I grew up with left and never came back. This area definitely has it's good points, and it's home. Coolest small town? I don't think I'd go that far.
Buy Him One

Huntington, WV

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Tin-Foil Hat Guy, I agree 100%, and I'd buy ya a beer in "The Coolest Town", if I could affore one! LOL
interesting

Princeton, WV

#8 Feb 11, 2011
How can it be called the coolest town when all you have to do is come to Topix and read ppl trashing other ppl over and over. What is so cool about this town? A lot of cruel unhuman ppl here especially the topix of old ppl at Walmart and how they should have there own hours to shop. Lordy God now how is this the coolest town? People can either make it a cool town or make it a bad one. Take your pick.
Supporter

Elkview, WV

#9 Feb 11, 2011
Not from either town. Fayetteville was taken over years ago by river rats and weirdos and others that moved in here that want to tell the natives what to do. Don't get to Lewisburg much.
hahaha

Princeton, WV

#10 Feb 11, 2011
yippey
Dissident

Huntington, WV

#11 Feb 12, 2011
I'm from Lewisburg area and went to school there. I now live in Fayetteville and have been in this county for 18 years. Both places have their own personality and distinct charm, if you will.

Fayetteville caters and appeals to the "outdoor" oriented person, while Lewisburg appeals to the shopping, antique, boutique loving crowd.

I prefer the more casual, down-home feel of F-Ville, but I like the scenery in Greenbrier county. Lewisburg is kind of snobby, mostly transplants from elsewhere, but the transplants in F-ville are friendlier.

And to the poster who said that the imports were telling the locals what to do. Well, from my perspective, those people have put in restaurants and shops that would otherwise be vacant and un-productive. Right now they employ and earn tax revenue for the county. This benefits everyone. If they're working and earning then I applaud them, sure beats a bunch of welfare/disability cheats riding the system, IMO.
Bad Cop No Doughnut

San Jose, CA

#12 Sep 10, 2013
And they are all gay!
bump

Alexandria, VA

#13 Sep 12, 2013
Bump.... but I also have to say add a "transplant" here.... this is not the coolest small town by far.. Maybe the coldest? At least to every business owner I've met that wasn't from here. There isdefenate need to educate long term multi generation community members about the benefit and need for new people to grow.
Kill them all

Uneeda, WV

#14 Sep 12, 2013
The need exists only in your head. No one CARES.
Bad Cop No Doughnut

San Jose, CA

#15 Sep 12, 2013
lewisburg is GAY!
lol

United States

#16 Sep 13, 2013
Lewisburg is full of hate for the white man!!!
Bad Cop No Doughnut

San Jose, CA

#17 Sep 13, 2013
lewisburg is full of shyte!
just remember

San Francisco, CA

#18 Sep 13, 2013
Supporter wrote:
Not from either town. Fayetteville was taken over years ago by river rats and weirdos and others that moved in here that want to tell the natives what to do. Don't get to Lewisburg much.
totally agree lewisburg had a lot more history it is much older fayetteville is an old coal town look it up on Wikipedia tries to act old but where are the really old homes, grave yards, etc. They are both yuppie towns though
Bad Cop No Doughnut

San Jose, CA

#19 Sep 15, 2013
Redneck dirt villes is more like it.
KINKY STEVENS

Ashburn, VA

#20 Sep 15, 2013
If fayetteville would acknowledge their COAL history then they may just be the coolest small town.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 1 hr clay yay 8,088
Derby couple with pizza-making past open new jo... 2 hr Tom 5
Sea Bright: Fresh-Plated by Young Chef 3 hr grandel6 1
'Cops' Crew Member Dies After Being Shot During... 8 hr hang em all 1
Why is clay so addictive? 11 hr Ackee 3
Tiny Bayfield has thriving restaurant scene 12 hr Natural 1
More school districts consider free meals for all 13 hr Keven1986 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••