Premade crusts don't detract from meat pies

May 10, 2007 Full story: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 29

“I'm searching for the recipe for small Scottish meat pies made by the former Smith's Bakery in Wilkinsburg. They were sold at the bakery and at the Ligonier Highland Games.”

Today's recipes are in response to a request from Cheryl Munster of Swissvale, who wrote, "I'm searching for the recipe for small Scottish meat pies made by the former Smith's Bakery in Wilkinsburg. via Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
col

UK

#22 Aug 19, 2010
Hi all,
Glad to help in your quest for the perfect scotch pie,

a kilo of ready mixed scotch pie seasoning would cost 7.50 the shells are very fragile so probably just better that i tell you how to make them, you wont get them "authentic" without a machine but it wont be far off

postage is the killer scotland to the states is looking at a bout 30.00 unless anyone knows a cheaper way
col

UK

#23 Aug 19, 2010
the hot water paste recipie is as easy as you get
500grams of plain flour
150ml of butter, lard or shortning
150ml of water
pinch of salt
gently bring the butter to the boil and just as it starts to bubble, take it off the heat, add the BOILING water and the flour all at once, mix until it all comes together, it should be slightly sticky and coming away from the side of the pot.
turn it out on too a cool floured surface knead it into a large ball and allow to cool for about an hour.
then roll it out to approx 3mm thick and press it into some sort of pie case, maybe a ramikin or something similar, fill with the meat mix cut a lid from the pastry and lay it on top with a steam hole in the middle and bake at 230deg for approx 20min, job done...enjoy
col

UK

#24 Aug 19, 2010
have put an auction up on ebay if anyone fancys buying some.
cheers
colin
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCOTCH-PIE-SEASONING-MI...
MacKimmie

Savannah, GA

#25 Sep 12, 2010
tom nangle wrote:
<quoted text>
no still looking for a supplier can you help
Tom - I know we have spoken in the past about the shells, and my timeframe for getting back into operation were delayed significantly, however, we are getting close now. Are you still interested in the shells?

MacKimmie
terri

Pembroke, GA

#26 Oct 4, 2010
col wrote:
cheers
colin
please re list some of your scottish meat pie seasoning on ebay thanks!
Reids Highland Fare

UK

#27 Jan 23, 2011
col wrote:
cheers
colin
We're based in Scotland, looling for pastry supplier and seasoning mix?
retchtub185

UK

#28 Jun 4, 2011
col wrote:
I am in scotland and make scotch pie shells and also individual steak pie shells and lids (ovel with puff pastry top)
I would be happy to supply them to anywhere but obviously the shipping costs might be restrictive, if you are interested let me know
hi col,can you please email me a price list for your scotch pie shells and your steak pie shells/bridie shells and complete mixes etc for the shells,i hope to hear from you soon,thankyou,regards,tommy mitchell......please email me at.....thomasmitchell@retchtub .plus.com
retchtub185

UK

#29 Jun 4, 2011
hi col,can you please email me a price list for,,,,,scotch pie shells.....steak pie shells.....bridie shells.....and complete mixes for these 3 products.....please email me @.....thomasmitchell@retchtub. plus.com
dollie

United States

#30 Dec 2, 2013
Am looking for the buttercream icing recipe that the former smiths bakery on penn ave. in wilkinsburg used on their cakes etc....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Owner/chef at Trattoria Fratelli not in it for ... (Apr '10) 2 hr Ms-v 20
News Half Pint Creamery plans second ice cream shop 2 hr Davenport 4
Red Sticky Rice- street food in Vietnam 17 hr VietnameseLanguag... 1
"Com ruou" - special vietnamese food 17 hr VietnameseLanguag... 1
" Banh u"-Food in The Double Fifth festival 18 hr VietnameseLanguag... 1
News Outside France, foodies are gorging themselves ... 21 hr common sense 30
News Why no Illinois state vegetable? Mon TMG 1
More from around the web