Report: Fetus found at East El Paso p...

Report: Fetus found at East El Paso park had signs of mummification

There are 1 comment on the El Paso Times story from Mar 7, 2014, titled Report: Fetus found at East El Paso park had signs of mummification. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

A fetus found last month at an East El Paso park had been buried and had signs of early mummification, according to a El Paso County medical examiner's report released Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Smedley Jerome Mayhew

El Paso, TX

#1 Mar 7, 2014
In McAllen, the shuttering of the city’s only abortion clinic has increased the costs, the time and the travel distance for women seeking abortions. Women have been making a roughly four-hour, 240-mile trip to San Antonio or a five-hour, 310-mile trip to Austin to get abortions. There had been only two clinics that performed abortions in the Rio Grande Valley, but by the end of the day Thursday there were none. The other one in nearby Harlingen closed two days ago.

Activity at the McAllen clinic had slowed recently. It stopped performing abortions last year after parts of the law went into effect. On Tuesday, the aftercare room, where women who had received abortions were taken to recuperate, was cluttered with boxes of files as workers prepared for Thursday.

“Sometimes on my lunch break, I’ll come back here, and I’ll just sit,” said Lucy Carreon, the clinic’s patient advocate, who is moving to San Antonio to work at the Whole Woman’s Health facility there.“It’s very sad. I can’t believe it.”

In McAllen, the problems associated with traveling 240 miles to San Antonio one way-including additional costs for gas, lodging or child care-have caused some women to go to Mexico to buy a widely available “abortion pill” that can induce miscarriages and that abortion providers and advocates said poses significant risks.

On the day of her appointment in San Antonio, the woman, who asked that her name not be used, said she left with a friend at about 3 a.m. to arrive at the clinic by 8 a.m. She had to spend the entire day there waiting to be seen. The San Antonio clinic, it turned out, was packed with patients from the Rio Grande Valley area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Republican candidates reject $15 minimum wage 2 hr Ritual Habitual 27
News Young farmers bring energy & savvy to 'the new ... 3 hr Keeseville Volunt... 1
News New vaccine appears to be more effective in red... 13 hr nickels 4
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) 13 hr Chantelle 949
News What are the health benefits of butternut squash? (Oct '14) 13 hr NatashaB 7
News Women Across The World Are Suffering From Baldn... (Mar '15) Mon johnkennedy58 3
News On Restaurants | Kahiki owner's son to open ram... Mon They cannot kill ... 5
More from around the web