Always read the label

Always read the label

There are 3 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 12, 2008, titled Always read the label. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

T he very first box we took off the shelf at the grocery store wasn't something Susan Dutt would consider "good food." "Look at that long ingredient list," said Susan Dutt, wellness dietitian with the Riverside ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

more info

United States

#1 Apr 12, 2008
Why don't nutritionists push water as a drink for children? Parents need to be educated not to believe the marketing of the food companies. Juice causes tooth decay and I challenge anyone to find some on the typical store shelf that doesn't contain harmful additives.

In the past, juice was served in a small glass with breakfast, and that was about it. Now parents seem to think they have to hand their children something sweet to drink every time they are thirsty.

Most 100% juice drinks have MSG added, as does most name brand yogurt. Thanks to a change in legislation pertaining to labeling, it is now hidden under many different names in the fine print of the label on the back of the item. MSG is a neurotoxin, and is not healthy for anyone to consume, though it is in almost everything we buy at the supermarket these days.

According to truthinlabeling.com , the following additives always mean the product contains MSG:

Glutamate Glutamic acid Gelatin
Monosodium glutamate Calcium caseinate Textured protein
Monopotassium glutamate Sodium caseinate Yeast nutrient
Yeast extract Yeast food Autolyzed yeast
Hydrolyzed protein
(any protein that is hydrolyzed) Hydrolyzed corn gluten Natrium glutamate (natrium is Latin/German for sodium)

There is another list additives that often contain MSG or create it during processing.(This includes the ever popular term "Natural Flavors.")

There are many other harmful additives and dyes present in our food supply. Parents should demand that food manufacturers remove these harmful ingredients; many of which have been proven to cause serious harm to the human body.

Another good resource is http://www.foodnews.org/
You can get a list there of produce tells what has the highest concentration of pesticides, and which ones are most toxic, and therefore more important to look for as organic, etc.
Heather Picton

South Africa

#2 Apr 14, 2008
Thank heavens people are finally recognising the harm that certain additives are doing to our children and ourselves. MSG should be avoided and so should the artificial colourants, artificial flavourants and antioxidant preservatives. They can affect and undermine children's health, behaviour and concentration ... and then we complain because our children are underachieving!!!
Ibrahim
#3 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Over 2,000 pounds of crawfish being delivered t... 1 hr Kelly 67
News No Joke: Unconscious man rode on car's trunk fo... 2 hr 07 Mustang 5
News Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 10 hr ava123 9,251
News Amazing Sweet Spot offers a fair take on desser... 15 hr Tumbleweeds 2
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... 20 hr silly rabbit 11
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Tue Find phartse 225
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Tue Twigeater 979
More from around the web