Taste of Las Cruces: Empire Buffet's vastness reigns supreme

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

As the saying goes, expect the unexpected. At Empire Buffet, an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant, it might be more appropriate to say, expect the expected - at least, in food and flavor.
Comments
21 - 32 of 32 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Shopper

Organ, NM

#22 Oct 13, 2010
We ate there- it wasn't crowded, messy or loud. The food was hot, and the waitstaff helpful. I'm glad they're here.

Since: Sep 10

Las Cruces, NM

#23 Oct 13, 2010
outwiththeoldinwiththeold wrote:
So i'm pretty sure that this restaurant is owned and managed by the same people that ran the "New Super China Buffet" on Telshor. Although the building is nice and new, everything else is pretty much the same. The dining area was messy, the food area was messy, the staff were lousy, and the food was definitely not held at the correct temperatures. Having food sitting at the wrong temperature, in the "danger zone", is extremely hazardous to ones health. On top of it not being the right temperature, the food was bland and did not taste well. I became very ill after eating here. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
SO DOES THAT MEAN THEY SERVE CATS TOO!!! YUM YUM.
yup

Albuquerque, NM

#24 Oct 13, 2010
It is crowded at certain times during the day and the arrangement of the tables doesn't help. I understand packing people in for higher profits and everything but I'd rather not be sitting on top of other customers and especially not the whiny little kids that the parents can't control. As for the food, it's bland just as stated previously and the noodles and one of my 2 egg rolls were cold so anyone saying that the temperature issue isn't true.... well I think there's more that would argue to the contrary. I gotta say though the sushi is pretty good for a buffet in the desert. Thats what makes it worth going for me. They just need to step up and quit cutting corners (just like the LC Sun News) and get people who will do the work right.

On a side note, I agree that they will learn engrish before the others will learn ingles.

Since: Sep 10

Las Cruces, NM

#25 Oct 13, 2010
HDog wrote:
<quoted text>Who are all these Chinese kitchen workers in Las Cruces who don't speak any English??!
Don't you think there are more "Mexican kitchen workers in Las Cruces who don't speak English and have probably been in the U.S. far longer than the "Chinese workers"? I guarantee, these Chinese workers will learn English and embrace the American way of life far sooner than their non-English speaking Mexican counterparts.
An illegal is an illegal is an illegal. When will people get it threw their head that not all illegals cross a river - BUT MANY CROSS OCEANS!

Those Chinese workers have a lot more to lose after paying thousands to be brought over - to be shipped home. YES they will assimilate much sooner.
Buenos Gracias

Las Cruces, NM

#26 Oct 13, 2010
Jane Doe wrote:
Seafood is a great, but we're limited here in the desert. But then again a lot of people don't like seafood.
Buenos Gracias says: Never eat seafood from a gas station.
Yun Lee

Las Cruces, NM

#27 Oct 15, 2010
Nutty wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of you have never eaten anything but plain white rice that you get in a box at the store. The rice starts out white because the husk, bran, germ, and all of the NUTRIENTS are removed, and it is polished to appear white. Some asian rice such as Basmati (meaning "fragrant") rice are brown and long grain and taste "nutty". These types of rice have many more nutrients, take longer to cook, and once again taste "nutty".
When making fried rice, you start with white rice, not with any other rice. Usually long grain, Calrose. Nothing nutty.
Jane Doe

Las Cruces, NM

#28 Oct 18, 2010
Buenos Gracias wrote:
<quoted text>
Buenos Gracias says: Never eat seafood from a gas station.
Like I stated a lot of people who have never left this area have never tried seafood and will not try seafood. Close minded.
Jane Doe

Las Cruces, NM

#29 Oct 18, 2010
Del Rey Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
An illegal is an illegal is an illegal. When will people get it threw their head that not all illegals cross a river - BUT MANY CROSS OCEANS!
Those Chinese workers have a lot more to lose after paying thousands to be brought over - to be shipped home. YES they will assimilate much sooner.
Obviously you don't pay attention to grammar?'Threw' should be 'through', remember to not use synonyms. I don't think those Chinese workers swam over here like the neighbors across the border who walk over.
get-real

Santa Fe, NM

#30 Oct 19, 2010
Your choice.
Went to the buffet yesterday. The food was very good, although I didnít know what flavor I was tasting since half of the items are not labeled.
Outside the parking lot was full of weeds and trash in their lot.
Inside, half of the knives I pulled out of the container were dirty.
Then discovered after the meal the bathroom was filthy.
Will I return to chance the food contamination again? Nope.
So the choice is yours!
Arnold

Las Cruces, NM

#31 Oct 20, 2010
get-real wrote:
Your choice.
Went to the buffet yesterday. The food was very good, although I didnít know what flavor I was tasting since half of the items are not labeled.
Outside the parking lot was full of weeds and trash in their lot.
Inside, half of the knives I pulled out of the container were dirty.
Then discovered after the meal the bathroom was filthy.
Will I return to chance the food contamination again? Nope.
So the choice is yours!
What Buffet are you taling about? First, you are posting from Alb. not LC, so....I was there 2 days ago. Weeds and trash? There is nearly no vegetation in this area, where are the weeds? Trash? Did not see any. Knives? There are no containers, they give you your flatware wrapped in a napkin when you sit down. Almost every item was labeled. My wife used the ladies room and believe me, if it was filthy, she would have complained - and loudly (shes from NY). How was the food? Decent, for NM about as good as you'll get. I personally think you are just trying to start trouble for some unknown reason.
Bad server manners

Las Cruces, NM

#33 Sep 29, 2013
The service that we received by our server was good, and the food was ok. However another server kept staring at my 3 year old son, and even followed him and my wife around the restaurant. Then when our meal was over he asked if he could take a picture of my son. My wife and I said no and quickly paid and left the restaurant. later when we called to complain and demand a refund and an apology, we were told that he was just trying to get a better tip (even though he wasn't our server) and that they would not give us a refund, but they would take 20% off of our next bill. Needless to say my family will NEVER eat here again!
APPAUSEPLEASE

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Oct 2, 2013
This is amazing - this restaurant is the worst - the food is horrid, the service awful and of course with the flies dropping into the Fried Rice well you know what I mean.

Ate their once and will never ever return - nasty.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's your favorite dessert? 1 hr blub 13
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 6 hr I know 8,105
Shake shops becoming cool spots to hang out (May '11) 9 hr Dave Campbell 82
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban 10 hr Here Is One 185
Lukin's Brick Oven Pizza & Lounge to Open on Va... (Oct '12) 13 hr LOL 33
Volunteers needed for Smokin' JazzVolunteers ne... 13 hr gcbakop 1
First Saturday, Free Barre Class: Your Weekend (Aug '13) 16 hr Vicki Otto 4
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••