Taste of Las Cruces: Empire Buffet's vastness reigns supreme

As the saying goes, expect the unexpected. At Empire Buffet, an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant, it might be more appropriate to say, expect the expected - at least, in food and flavor. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Judas

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Oct 7, 2010
The dining area is offset by walls? The chicken and beef were palatable even though you could hardly taste them
? The chocolate and lemon cake were crumbly? Lopez, I don't know what career you're shooting for, but please don't let it be journalism, or even worse, food writing.
JNNM

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Oct 7, 2010
Nothing worse than dry food Carlos! You're the first I've heard from that didn't like the place. The others have raved about how nice and clean and good the food was!
Fed up in NM

El Paso, TX

#3 Oct 7, 2010
The food was great, the sushi selections was amazing, the price was right. I am so glad to finally have an Asian buffet that can satisfy all of us.
nmcurm

United States

#4 Oct 8, 2010
"Recessed lighting adds warmth to the jewel color palette"

oh.my. gawrshk.

"The food, on the whole, was predictable."

right. it's a steam table buffet.

"If you're the type who likes food stir-fried, deep-fried, highly sauced and produced in industrial quantities, then Empire Buffet will provide all you need and then some."

right. just like every buffet, everywhere.

"The fresh fruit, tasted, well, fresh — a good feat
for any fruit."

um. that's pretty flowery language for a restaurant review.

Where in the world did LC Sun News find this writer?
nmcurm

United States

#5 Oct 8, 2010
Judas wrote:
The dining area is offset by walls? The chicken and beef were palatable even though you could hardly taste them
? The chocolate and lemon cake were crumbly? Lopez, I don't know what career you're shooting for, but please don't let it be journalism, or even worse, food writing.
no doubt! see my post!! who is this guy? please mr. food writer, please go find a new job. ahhhh!!!
Smitty

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Oct 8, 2010
Fried rice is not supposed to be brown and its not supposed to be nutty. There are no "nutty" ingredients that go into friend rice. Obviously you've only eaten fried rice in New Mexico. Try going to Chinatown in San Fran or try some in Honolulu.

The food here is better than ordinary. Thus far this is the best asian food in Las Cruces in many many years.
corner

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Way too many kids in that place. Crying and whining everywhere. Air headed parents who wont take the kids outside to calm them down. Very rude uneducated local parents.
Jane Doe

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Oct 8, 2010
Again, the taste is made for people's who's palates are not willing to try new things. And yes, fried rice is supposed to be brown from the soy sauce used to cook it. Being Asian, the few chinese restaurants we have in town are made for people who think they know what chinese food should taste like. Can you closed minded people at least travel to other states like California to see try other ethnic foods?? Seafood is a great, but we're limited here in the desert. But then again a lot of people don't like seafood.
Young

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Oct 9, 2010
Jane Doe wrote:
Again, the taste is made for people's who's palates are not willing to try new things. And yes, fried rice is supposed to be brown from the soy sauce used to cook it. Being Asian, the few chinese restaurants we have in town are made for people who think they know what chinese food should taste like. Can you closed minded people at least travel to other states like California to see try other ethnic foods?? Seafood is a great, but we're limited here in the desert. But then again a lot of people don't like seafood.
I've never seen fried rice dark brown...lt brown yes..medium brown yes...dark brown, no. And not nutty. Shoyu (soy sauce), oyster sause, spam, eggs, ginger, maybe some bacon or ham,....no nuts. Aloha.
BE WARNED

United States

#10 Oct 9, 2010
I was in the bathroom of this place and an employee just walked in, used the restroom and walked out.. WITHOUT WASHING HER HANDS!!!!!!!
Nutty

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Oct 10, 2010
Young wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen fried rice dark brown...lt brown yes..medium brown yes...dark brown, no. And not nutty. Shoyu (soy sauce), oyster sause, spam, eggs, ginger, maybe some bacon or ham,....no nuts. Aloha.
Some of you have never eaten anything but plain white rice that you get in a box at the store. The rice starts out white because the husk, bran, germ, and all of the NUTRIENTS are removed, and it is polished to appear white. Some asian rice such as Basmati (meaning "fragrant") rice are brown and long grain and taste "nutty". These types of rice have many more nutrients, take longer to cook, and once again taste "nutty".
Jane Doe

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Oct 11, 2010
Young wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say 'dark brown'? You are obviously a poser.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#14 Oct 11, 2010
Hey Carlos..thanks for the heads up on average, not very interesting industrial mass quantity buffet food. When did a Chinese/Asian restaurant need a review of the crumbly cake dessert?
I can sum this long rambling, disjointed review up in one sentence: "It's the kind of thing you'll like if you like that kind of thing."
You could have saved a lot of ink, Carlitos.
outwiththeoldinw iththeold

Rio Rancho, NM

#15 Oct 11, 2010
So i'm pretty sure that this restaurant is owned and managed by the same people that ran the "New Super China Buffet" on Telshor. Although the building is nice and new, everything else is pretty much the same. The dining area was messy, the food area was messy, the staff were lousy, and the food was definitely not held at the correct temperatures. Having food sitting at the wrong temperature, in the "danger zone", is extremely hazardous to ones health. On top of it not being the right temperature, the food was bland and did not taste well. I became very ill after eating here. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
HDog

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Oct 12, 2010
outwiththeoldinwiththeold wrote:
So i'm pretty sure that this restaurant is owned and managed by the same people that ran the "New Super China Buffet" on Telshor. Although the building is nice and new, everything else is pretty much the same. The dining area was messy, the food area was messy, the staff were lousy, and the food was definitely not held at the correct temperatures. Having food sitting at the wrong temperature, in the "danger zone", is extremely hazardous to ones health. On top of it not being the right temperature, the food was bland and did not taste well. I became very ill after eating here. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
From the comments, probably is owned by the same entity that managed "New Super China Buffet" on Telshor". Because of the ebb and flow of military personnel to / from Fort Bliss, Northeast El Paso is probably the closest place one will find authentic Asian cuisine in this area.
sunnyPA

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Oct 12, 2010
Desertdawg wrote:
Hey Carlos..thanks for the heads up on average, not very interesting industrial mass quantity buffet food. When did a Chinese/Asian restaurant need a review of the crumbly cake dessert?
I can sum this long rambling, disjointed review up in one sentence: "It's the kind of thing you'll like if you like that kind of thing."
You could have saved a lot of ink, Carlitos.
I am sure that English professors hand out copies of these 'reviews' for students to edit. The ESOL students only have to find 5 phrases to reword for improvement. Hopefully his former English teachers have learned to prevent the social promotion of students to keep their own jobs. If I had this kid in my class, I certainly would be ashamed to know that others were aware of the poor judgement used to encourage someone with so little talent to pursue journalism on the university level. The editors must realize how poorly these ramblings reflect on their ability as so-called professionals.

nmcurm hit on just a few of the ramblings. OkCupid has a perfect match for the young 'writer'. An excerpt from her profile--don't worry she's really cute:

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the US should help the US, uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.

HAhaHAha HAHAHA hoooo!
JNNM

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Oct 12, 2010
outwiththeoldinwiththeold wrote:
You're full of it on all accounts!!
Judas

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Oct 12, 2010
I ate at Empire Buffet over the weekend. It was unpleasantly crowded, not just that the tables were full but that the chairs were too close to the wall. I asked for a diet coke but was brought a regular coke by the non-English-speaking waitstaff. An attempt to correct the problem brought more encounters with MORE non-English-speaking wait-staff. Who are all these Chinese kitchen workers in Las Cruces who don't speak any English?!

The buffet had a very large selection of food, including some things you don't often see, like crab and octopus, but the food was definitely not being kept at the right temperature.

A combined raid on the place by the state Health Department and the INS, and it's all over.
A PROUD EL PASOAN

United States

#20 Oct 12, 2010
Judas wrote:
I ate at Empire Buffet over the weekend. It was unpleasantly crowded, not just that the tables were full but that the chairs were too close to the wall. I asked for a diet coke but was brought a regular coke by the non-English-speaking waitstaff. An attempt to correct the problem brought more encounters with MORE non-English-speaking wait-staff. Who are all these Chinese kitchen workers in Las Cruces who don't speak any English?!
The buffet had a very large selection of food, including some things you don't often see, like crab and octopus, but the food was definitely not being kept at the right temperature.
A combined raid on the place by the state Health Department and the INS, and it's all over.
and the same goes for every chinese/asian buffet in El Paso!!
HDog

Las Cruces, NM

#21 Oct 12, 2010
A PROUD EL PASOAN wrote:
<quoted text>
and the same goes for every chinese/asian buffet in El Paso!!
Who are all these Chinese kitchen workers in Las Cruces who don't speak any English??!
Don't you think there are more "Mexican kitchen workers in Las Cruces who don't speak English and have probably been in the U.S. far longer than the "Chinese workers"? I guarantee, these Chinese workers will learn English and embrace the American way of life far sooner than their non-English speaking Mexican counterparts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two chocolate makers warn of huge annual deficit 12 min mr goodwrench 141
How Life's Code Emerged From Primordial Soup (Sep '09) 10 hr DanFromSmithville 144
Bread & Butter: Cool idea for Novato: ice cream... (Mar '13) 10 hr HaiYen 5
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) Fri Trilot 8,624
Fruit tree pruning workshop held today (Feb '09) Fri Michael2327 3
Illegal cigarettes could be filled with human e... Fri Taajsgpm 5
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Fri Truth Teller 17

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE