Animal Activists Protest Outside Charlottesville Walmart

The inflatable pig has blood and sores all over it. The group says this displays for shoppers how Walmart's pork suppliers are treating pigs. Full Story
Ruckeysville

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Jun 21, 2013
A bunch of losers.... Why aren't they protesting the cruelty of abortion at Planned Parenthood. If their beef, no pun intended, is government regulations why aren't they protesting in Washington? Idiots.
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Jun 21, 2013
Top Flight wrote:
You know, I wonder how many of these creatures these turkeys (read protesters) would take if they were offered any? There is an old saying "dead is dead regardless as to how you get that way". I also wonder how many of the protesters work, whether they have "Obama" phones (read sarcasm) and whether they have actually seen the purported conditions other than in a video?
I can't believe there are still people who are STUPID enough to think that Reagan phones are Obama phones.

As soon as I hear someone call something an "Obama phone" I just stop listening or reading because they are obviously to STUPID to have anything of any serious substance to say.
Kelly Cat

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Jun 21, 2013
I admire these people for speaking out against this, no matter how small their numbers were today.

On an unrelated note, I don't understand how people here can so ignorantly assume that those who protest against animal cruelty would never protest at an abortion clinic or have pro-life views as well. So, it's not possible for anyone to have compassion for more than one cause? Some people do respect life, whether in or outside the womb, and would fight for the dignity of human AND animals. Wow, what a radical concept for some people to grasp.
farmer

United States

#25 Jun 21, 2013
"Keeping highly intelligent and social animals confined to cages that are so small they can't even turn around for nearly their entire lives is blatant animal cruelty. It's time for Walmart to follow the lead of Kroger, Safeway, Costco and their other competitors," said Jeni Haines

So if these highly intelligent and social animals kill and eat their young babies that is OK with you. I am absolutely sure they only eat the stupid ones. Jeni Haines I suggest you educate your self prior to making such a foolish statement. first of all keeping the animal in a confined crate adds difficulties and cost which are significant. second of all the sow is only kept in the crate as you put it long enough to prevent her from eating her off springs or mashing them to death. So get all of your facts together before you look more stupid than the pig. As far as the animals well being there are people out there that should have no business working with animals since they like you do not understand their needs or behavior
No libzombie

Keswick, VA

#26 Jun 21, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe there are still people who are STUPID enough to think that Reagan phones are Obama phones.
As soon as I hear someone call something an "Obama phone" I just stop listening or reading because they are obviously to STUPID to have anything of any serious substance to say.
"Reagan phones"???
Uhh ow....somebody didn't get there welfare check today!
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#27 Jun 21, 2013
No libzombie wrote:
<quoted text>
"Reagan phones"???
Uhh ow....somebody didn't get there welfare check today!
Yes, Reagan phones. Do your research. It was a program started under Reagan that paid for landline service for the poor. It was expanded to cover cell phones under Bush. It's just easier to say "Obama phone" from the GOP to further the hatred. It would also be committing the cardinal sin to mention the GOP god name of Reagan in the negative.
Top Flight

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Jun 22, 2013
To "Whatever" from Crozet. I was born and raised on a 1000 acre farm. Prior to running the farm, I was a college educated young person. As far as "dead is dead regardless of how you get that way" is a true statement. I have dealt with dead and dying persons on a daily and weekly basis for 40 years and regardless of the reason or the cause they are still dead. You, I believe, are the one with fewer neurons than I.
Top Flight

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Jun 22, 2013
I would hardly consider myself stupid! The Obama phones are as rampant as the welfare checks that go along with said phones. I pay for my cell phone as do most working Americans. I work on a daily basis as do a great many Americans. The fact that you find the term offensive is just too damn bad. There are a whole collection of persons who are "taking great advantage" of Obama's free ride and sadly, myself and millions of other Americans are paying for that. How can anyone think that this is a "better" America at this point?
harry

Charlottesville, VA

#30 Jun 22, 2013
Pappy Van Winkle wrote:
These folks have a point. Farmers don't have to mistreat their animals to make a fair profit. Corporations also don't have to mistreat their employees to make a fair profit. People in charge have gotten so greedy that they fail to make good decisions.
Define "fair profit". Whenever I hear someone accused of bring "greedy" I wonder if the accusers are anti-capitalist. Would the food purchasers who shop WalMart and are looking for good tasting pork and also a good price, be "greedy" or just smart?
Would the protesters who are hurting legal American businesses and helping Chinese businesses seeking to sell pork in the United States be advocates for humane treatment of animals or just dupes of the Chinese propaganda machine?
The Dude

Warrenton, VA

#31 Jun 22, 2013
Top Flight wrote:
I would hardly consider myself stupid! The Obama phones are as rampant as the welfare checks that go along with said phones. I pay for my cell phone as do most working Americans. I work on a daily basis as do a great many Americans. The fact that you find the term offensive is just too damn bad. There are a whole collection of persons who are "taking great advantage" of Obama's free ride and sadly, myself and millions of other Americans are paying for that. How can anyone think that this is a "better" America at this point?
The reason that Hmmmmm is calling you stupid is because you are using the term "Obamaphone" which is the life link program started by Reagan and expanded by G.W. Bush to include cell phones. Now, it's fine to show your disdain about government programs that are designed to subsidize job placement, but to obtusely and mendaciously accuse the wrong party in attempt to slander in a partisan agenda either appears that you are either a liar or plain stupid.
You appearing stupid offends nobody, and if it offends you that hmmmmm gave you the benefit of the doubt of being stupid offends you, it's much better than you being called a straight up liar... which is the only other possible scenario of what you could be, since you deliberately called a republican program the "Obamaphone." So here are the conclusions, you are stupid enough to think Obama is a republican, you are stupid enough to repeat something you heard on T.V. with out substantiating it, or you are a liar and are mendaciously spreading propaganda to further a partisan agenda. It is your choice, you are either stupid, a liar, or a stupid liar. If you find that offense, too damn bad, because it is the only possible answer.
The Dude

Warrenton, VA

#32 Jun 22, 2013
harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Define "fair profit". Whenever I hear someone accused of bring "greedy" I wonder if the accusers are anti-capitalist. Would the food purchasers who shop WalMart and are looking for good tasting pork and also a good price, be "greedy" or just smart?
Would the protesters who are hurting legal American businesses and helping Chinese businesses seeking to sell pork in the United States be advocates for humane treatment of animals or just dupes of the Chinese propaganda machine?
It's clear that you don't have a grasp on capitalism. Capitalism is not unfettered free trade, even Adam Smith believed in regulation. I for one am happy that my bacon is dioxin or heavy metal free, now you may think they're smart to feed their hogs dioxins prior slaughter, but others don't.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#33 Jun 22, 2013
Top Flight wrote:
There are also corporations "taking great advantage" of their free ride. There is abuse of the system from people who claim to need help. But their are also people who really can't afford to buy that much food. The problem with the GOP is they have made it their goal to get rid of any help for the truely needy by pushing the "everyone is lazy" agenda. Look at the Farm Bill that they couldn't get passed this week. The bill calls for cutting food stamps by billions, while increasing the subsidies to farmers. Some of the same farmers who's income is in the millions. Even one congressman pushing for the increase is subsidies has received millions of dollars from them. Why should the needy suffer to give more to wealthy farmer? Sounds like the GOP are the ones that like to pick the winners and losers. The GOP likes to put down anyone who really needs help, but sees nothing wrong with giving take breaks and subsidies to the wealthy. I wonder why they have earned their badge for only being concerned about the well off.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#34 Jun 22, 2013
*there are also, not their are also

*tax breaks, not take breaks
harry

Charlottesville, VA

#35 Jun 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>It's clear that you don't have a grasp on capitalism. Capitalism is not unfettered free trade, even Adam Smith believed in regulation. I for one am happy that my bacon is dioxin or heavy metal free, now you may think they're smart to feed their hogs dioxins prior slaughter, but others don't.
Except ofcourse you have no evidence in this case, of dioxin or heavy metal feeding of hogs. Just typical of Chinese propaganda to make those unsubstantiated allegations. You also confuse capitalism with free trade, not surprising for someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. But your goal was to blame capitalism for making a profit from bacon laced with dioxins wasn't it? Pretty weak.
harry

Charlottesville, VA

#36 Jun 22, 2013
hondacivic wrote:
<quoted text>
There are also corporations "taking great advantage" of their free ride."
Like who? If corporations are taking advantage of tax breaks, it is because the Federal Government sought to make those tax breaks a matter of public policy to spur a specific behavior. Kind of like giving a tax break on mortgage interest to spur home buying for individuals.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#37 Jun 22, 2013
harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Like who? If corporations are taking advantage of tax breaks, it is because the Federal Government sought to make those tax breaks a matter of public policy to spur a specific behavior. Kind of like giving a tax break on mortgage interest to spur home buying for individuals.
Such corporations such as GE, Verizon, Boeing, Mattel, etc. A study has found that many corporations have paid zero in taxes for years. The GOP argument is that the "lazy people" are taking "freebies" and not paying anything in taxes but cheer and support these corporations using tax loop holes hiding their money off shore so they don't have to pay taxes on it.

The GOP pushed for more subsidies to farmers on the Farm Bill while cutting food stamps. These subsidies and crop insurance guarantee the farmer will get a certain price for crops, milk, etc. This doesn't sound like capitialism to me where the free market will dictate prices with supply and demand.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#38 Jun 22, 2013
harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Except ofcourse you have no evidence in this case, of dioxin or heavy metal feeding of hogs. Just typical of Chinese propaganda to make those unsubstantiated allegations. You also confuse capitalism with free trade, not surprising for someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. But your goal was to blame capitalism for making a profit from bacon laced with dioxins wasn't it? Pretty weak.
Open your eyes. The economy is based on nothing short of greed. There is no such thing as doing the right thing anymore. Companies will do anything to make more money. If it is feeding animals unhealthy food to fatten them up faster, that's what it will do. It is all about the almighty dollar. If it is disposing of chemicals into a river to save money from having to pay another company to dispose of it for them.

The GOP wants a total free system with no regulations. They would love to see the EPA, OSHA, unions, banking regulations, minimum wage, etc all done away with. So these businesses can write their own rules. Treat their employees how ever they want and pay them as little as possible. So they can destroy the environment. It all plays into the GOP rhetoric that if the wealthy are doing good, we will all.
Mike

Charlottesville, VA

#39 Jun 22, 2013
Hey PETA PIG lover's this one's for you. Listen to the second one squeal in protest of his fate...

hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#40 Jun 22, 2013
Mike wrote:
Hey PETA PIG lover's this one's for you. Listen to the second one squeal in protest of his fate...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =an0xQxAIHYoXX
There is nothing wrong with hunting an animal in the wild for food. Obviously you see no difference between hunting and raising an animal in inhumane conditions for slaughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Reality

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Jun 22, 2013
harry wrote:
<quoted text>
If corporations are taking advantage of tax breaks, it is because the Federal Government sought to make those tax breaks a matter of public policy to spur a specific behavior.
Riiiiigghhhtttt. That's some pure B S right there. Corporations buy politicians with cash money. They then receive massive tax breaks. "Public policy" in the true sense of the phrase has nothing at all to do with it. It's bribery plain and simple. And ignorant meat puppets like you cheer on the blatantly corrupt process despite it doing great harm to you, your neighbors, and your country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama withdraws Alaska's Bristol Bay from drilling 29 min Le Duped 1
Pune Hotel Offers a Unique New Year's Eve Getaway 6 hr spaaqua19 1
Zymbiotics puts the zaur in the kraut 10 hr Jeff Ziebelman 1
7 things to know about epilepsy 11 hr DeeDee86 2
Dogs go to heaven, Pope Francis says 16 hr cooldude 5
News Hits: Schuette OKs school taxes for new Re... 17 hr Art Lafler 2
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 20 hr georgie 8,752
More from around the web