Animal Activists Protest Outside Charlottesville Walmart

The inflatable pig has blood and sores all over it. The group says this displays for shoppers how Walmart's pork suppliers are treating pigs. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Tex

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jun 21, 2013
are these same folks protesting the deliberate Murder of unborn human children just wonderin?
Top Flight

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jun 21, 2013
You know, I wonder how many of these creatures these turkeys (read protesters) would take if they were offered any? There is an old saying "dead is dead regardless as to how you get that way". I also wonder how many of the protesters work, whether they have "Obama" phones (read sarcasm) and whether they have actually seen the purported conditions other than in a video?
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jun 21, 2013
Hog farming, like beef and poultry farming has gone CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations). The practice is pretty bad in all sort of ways - for animals and for people. These are giant corporate things. In order to do what they do, they do leave animals in miserable conditions and have to pump them up with antibiotics and other junk to keep them alive long enough to butcher. The environmental impacts go through the roof and old networks of smaller, family-based farms go down the tubes. This isn't one of those "PETA" things.

The only problem the protesters have is that choosing WalMart is somewhat random. Pretty much all large corporate food retailers get their stuff out of CAFOs.
Mmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jun 21, 2013
Bacon...

As a side note.. I didn't scratch and claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables. And to answer Tex's question, no, you won't find these people protesting the murder of innocent humans. They prefer animals over people.
George S

Birmingham, AL

#5 Jun 21, 2013
By choosing a Wal-Mart, they hope to get national attention for themselves. Pretending to be altruistic, resulting in more donations of god old money.
Pappy Van Winkle

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jun 21, 2013
These folks have a point. Farmers don't have to mistreat their animals to make a fair profit. Corporations also don't have to mistreat their employees to make a fair profit. People in charge have gotten so greedy that they fail to make good decisions.
Patti

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jun 21, 2013
Pappy Van Winkle wrote:
These folks have a point. Farmers don't have to mistreat their animals to make a fair profit. Corporations also don't have to mistreat their employees to make a fair profit. People in charge have gotten so greedy that they fail to make good decisions.
Well put!
Parent

Purcellville, VA

#8 Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the reminder that I need to pick up some Pork Chops for dinner.
Welfaremart

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jun 21, 2013
Pork from Walmart doubtfully causes any pigs to suffer, perhaps some Chinese dogs.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jun 21, 2013
Mmmmmm wrote:
I didn't scratch and claw my way to the top of the food chain
no, unfortunately you were just born that way
Stan

Rocky Mount, VA

#11 Jun 21, 2013
Parent wrote:
Thanks for the reminder that I need to pick up some Pork Chops for dinner.
Enjoy your Ractopamine.
zooloo

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jun 21, 2013
Mmmmmm wrote:
Bacon...
As a side note.. I didn't scratch and claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables. And to answer Tex's question, no, you won't find these people protesting the murder of innocent humans. They prefer animals over people.
Scatch and claw your way to the top ummm ok...
I didnt hear them saying not to eat meat.... They are pointing out what is sooo wrong with how these animals are treated and what they are being pumped full of. If your ok with eating tortured ,full of chemical animals then you go ahead....

The way the world is and how people have no more compassion for anything... I do prefer animals over people . They seem to have way more compassion then us humans.
America is messed up

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jun 21, 2013
they say protect the pig
they say kill the unborn
zooloo

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jun 21, 2013
Top Flight wrote:
You know, I wonder how many of these creatures these turkeys (read protesters) would take if they were offered any? There is an old saying "dead is dead regardless as to how you get that way". I also wonder how many of the protesters work, whether they have "Obama" phones (read sarcasm) and whether they have actually seen the purported conditions other than in a video?
You really think the people that are protesting about how these animals are treated and what chemicals are pumped into them are non working "obama" phone people? Really ? Are sure you dont want to really think about that? I am pretty sure I see most of those people in mile long lines at Mcdonalds. You sound kind of silly and empty...

It's sad that so many people have no idea what the government is allowing to go on with our food . Not everybody can afford organic.. free range . Bravo for the protesters for taking time out of their day to let people ,(who might be unaware what is REALLY going on.) and inform them. People have to start speaking up or we are just going to get poisoned by chemicals and greed ! Eating tortured chemically filled animals is NOT good for the body.
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jun 21, 2013
I'll tell you what's messed up. Reading an article about protesting animal cruelty and shouting "abortion! ABORTION!!! ABOUR#TU*TIN&ON!!!!!! You all need to have your meds checked.
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jun 21, 2013
Top Flight wrote:
Spoken like someone who's never set foot on a farm, or who hunts, or who has two neurons to rub together. Dead is not dead "regardless as to how you got that way."
zooloo

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jun 21, 2013
Just in case someone doesn't get my point and I offend somebody .... the point I was trying to make with the Mcdonalds comment was that people that DO take advantage of the system are usually not protesting for animals rights and whats in our food.
The Dude

Warrenton, VA

#19 Jun 21, 2013
zooloo wrote:
Just in case someone doesn't get my point and I offend somebody .... the point I was trying to make with the Mcdonalds comment was that people that DO take advantage of the system are usually not protesting for animals rights and whats in our food.
The FDA; owned and operated by Monsanto & ADM.
The Dude

Warrenton, VA

#20 Jun 21, 2013
George S wrote:
By choosing a Wal-Mart, they hope to get national attention for themselves. Pretending to be altruistic, resulting in more donations of god old money.
Walmat is a favorite because it is the US' and the World's largest private employer...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44622153/page/11
Is the largest importer in the US of good from China, which is
contributing to unemployment in manufacturing and increasing the trade deficit...
http://www.emergingmarketsoutlook.com/...
and also has the largest amount of employees on government assistance
http://www.ilsr.org/new-study-finds-walmarts-...
on the flip side, they buy milk from dairy farmers that pledge not to treat their cows with rBST or rBGH
http://www.naturalnews.com/022913_rBGH_milk_c...
The real issue is that we (as a nation) allow our corporate farmers (2% of farms now provide over 50% of the food) to get away with practices that no other industrialized nation allows. We like to think we hold ourselves to higher standards, but really, we don't. With the streamlining of food seeds a blight may cause serious famines in the first world. More over, we don't know the long term affects of many of these products.
I never knew an autistic kid 20 years ago, now every one I meet has one.
Bologna Streets

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jun 21, 2013
ham steak for dinner

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Australian Christmas, Everything's Overturn... 58 min Neville Thompson 6
Obama personal chef to hang up apron after 6 years 2 hr Stupid old flag 4
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 3 hr Curious 8,786
What's for dinner? Australia 3 hr J RULES 9
Goose and plum pudding: How German prisoners of... 15 hr Gabby 1
Obama withdraws Alaska's Bristol Bay from drilling Wed woodtick57 5
Chasing Shadows: Carrabelle crabs and a hydroplane Wed csuzi10 1
More from around the web