New diet drug blocks hunger signals t...

New diet drug blocks hunger signals to brain

There are 60 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Jun 12, 2007, titled New diet drug blocks hunger signals to brain. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

A panel of experts meets Wednesday to help the Food and Drug Administration decide whether a highly anticipated experimental diet drug for the obese should be approved for sale in the USA.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Right Wing Lunatic

United States

#43 Jun 19, 2007
Sometimes food isn't the problem. Inactivity is a big issue for many people. SlimQuick is a really good appetite suppressant, but it will only help you lose weight if overeating and portion sizes are the problem.

It seems like I know so many people who eat like they should but don't lose weight simply because they aren't exercising. I also know people who barely eat anything. Some of them don't lose weight because if they aren't eating enough, they don't have enough energy to exercise.
Right Wing Lunatic

United States

#44 Jun 19, 2007
Right Wing Lunatic wrote:
Sometimes food isn't the problem. Inactivity is a big issue for many people. SlimQuick is a really good appetite suppressant, but it will only help you lose weight if overeating and portion sizes are the problem.
It seems like I know so many people who eat like they should but don't lose weight simply because they aren't exercising. I also know people who barely eat anything. Some of them don't lose weight because if they aren't eating enough, they don't have enough energy to exercise.
Another problem is when overweight people are made fun of at the gym. Others stare at them and laugh, so it discourages them from going back to the gym or the pool. When I hear someone make ugly comments about an overweight person riding a bike I say, "Why are you complaining if they're doing something about it!"

Since: Feb 07

knoxville, Tenn.

#46 Jun 19, 2007
Is Zara A doctor or have some kind of medical degree, I think not, so she doesn't know what she's talking about and just wants to judge others. How about taking the time and encouraging someone who is trying to lose or even attempt and boost their self esteem. give it a try sometime and see the results. you might be surprised.
Zara

Penang, Malaysia

#47 Jun 19, 2007
terri wrote:
<quoted text>
She's speechless! it's about time.
Actually, I am saving myself the trouble of continuing to argue with complete imbeciles. And the only people I think you should feel sorry for is yourselves. Goodbye. Idiots.

knoxville, Tenn.

#48 Jun 19, 2007
I think she has realized that we are the intelligent ones.
Terri

United States

#49 Jun 19, 2007
angel rose wrote:
I think she has realized that we are the intelligent ones.
You have that right! I have struggled with my weight in the past and I know the frustrations. You guys have to find what works for you. Every individual is just that, an individual and what works for one, may not work for another. You do what you need to do to get healthy. I have a friend that was as fit as they come and due to an injury she became immobile for almost a year. The doctors pumped her with meds and steriods and she put on so much weight that it's painful if not dangerous to exercise the way she use to. She has been depressed because everything she tries hasn't worked for her. Of course now that she is no longer able to work, she can't pay for a gym membership and because she does or did take such pride in her body, she doesn't want to do things publically because the way people look at and treat her. I don't understand why people judge others so harshly when they don't know ANYTHING about them.
Maya

United States

#50 Jun 21, 2007
Terri wrote:
<quoted text>
You have that right! I have struggled with my weight in the past and I know the frustrations. You guys have to find what works for you. Every individual is just that, an individual and what works for one, may not work for another. You do what you need to do to get healthy. I have a friend that was as fit as they come and due to an injury she became immobile for almost a year. The doctors pumped her with meds and steriods and she put on so much weight that it's painful if not dangerous to exercise the way she use to. She has been depressed because everything she tries hasn't worked for her. Of course now that she is no longer able to work, she can't pay for a gym membership and because she does or did take such pride in her body, she doesn't want to do things publically because the way people look at and treat her. I don't understand why people judge others so harshly when they don't know ANYTHING about them.
I am assuming this is not what this forum is about. Someone who gained weight because of medications is a far cry from the reason there are so many obese people. Check out the statistics. Most fat people do not have any type of metabolism problem, no disease, etc., nothing but eating too damn much. Now they continue to want a magic pill to take off their excess weight. Just eat less and discipline yourselves. Makes me sick when I see a whole fat family. The kids have no chance when their parents don't even respect themselves enough. So now there is another generation of fat people.
Oprah may have her personal trainers, cooks and whatever, but I have no doubt she still stuffs herself.
CDJ

United States

#51 Jun 21, 2007
Some of you people are so cold, yes overweight people eat to much. Is that any reason to be cruel? Some of you are downright cruel. Some people have other reasons as to why they eat, not just because they are lazy. If you yourself are perfect, then by all means be cruel, if not then leave them be.
CDJ

United States

#52 Jun 21, 2007
Oh and by the way Zara, if you do like Fat Americans, then why are you even looking at this topic? If you are trying to help people in your country you need to clean up your attitude first, something that hateful can't be productive helping people in such dire needs.

knoxville, Tenn.

#53 Jun 21, 2007
Maya wrote:
<quoted text>
I am assuming this is not what this forum is about. Someone who gained weight because of medications is a far cry from the reason there are so many obese people. Check out the statistics. Most fat people do not have any type of metabolism problem, no disease, etc., nothing but eating too damn much. Now they continue to want a magic pill to take off their excess weight. Just eat less and discipline yourselves. Makes me sick when I see a whole fat family. The kids have no chance when their parents don't even respect themselves enough. So now there is another generation of fat people.
Oprah may have her personal trainers, cooks and whatever, but I have no doubt she still stuffs herself.
where have you gotten your information from? as Terra put it everybody is different. Not all of them eat too much, not all of them eat the wrong foods. I've seen people struggle with their weight, go on diet after diet, exercise, watch the calories and still have the weight. Some suffer from depression, some it has been discovered is missing a chemical in their body that triggers the brain to let you know the stomach is full, then there is those who have suffered a injury that has disabled them where they can't exercise. How about those who are trying to exercise getting made fun of because they are exercising and get humiliated as well as discouraged. I guess your idea as well as a few others is to take them out and shoot them to be rid of them, cause you're afraid that they might spread it to you.... or Hitler, why not gas every dam one of them!!!!!!!!!! Just share a smile and brighten their day when you see them trying, yhat will go a long way.
Alex

Russia

#54 Jun 22, 2007
I've seen the promo for Acomplia/Rimonabant here: http://www.compareop.com/acomplia.html , they promote some online pharmacy that sells it for $2.32 per pill with air mail shipping from Germany. I've ordered, will let you know here when it arrives
sabrina

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#55 Jun 24, 2007
i have meridia and have no use for it.found out im preg. if anyone is interested. give me your e mail address.
BJT

Conway, AR

#56 Jun 26, 2007
Woweeeeee...this is very interesting. I have not heard someone be quite this heartless. Jaded I think your name fits hun. You do not know everyone's situation..how they got to be big, I myself got big with pregnancy. Don't judge what you do not know. I think it is a great thing for those who want to and can lose weight to take matters into their own hands and helping them selves. You seem to be unforgiving of other peoples situations.
leggs

Baltimore, MD

#58 Jul 2, 2007
Hi all,
Very interesting forum. I wish everyone well to achieve their goals. My goal however seems like it is miles away. I have always exercised at least 4 times a week. I never had a weight problem until I got pregnant with my first child. We lost a few babies before our blessing finally happened but I was afraid to lose this one too so I did little exercise, but I still ate right. After having the baby I lost lot of it, but not all of it. I started kickboxing twice a week and that helped me get to a size 8. Most of my early, late twenties I was a size 4-6. Early thirties I was still around 6-8 but preganacy really throws a person for a loop. Anyway I started jogging 3 miles at least 5 days a week in 2004 (first child being 4) and I got pregnant with our 2nd. I still jogged until I started getting sick around 6 weeks and that lasted until 14 weeks. I still walked almost everyday about 2 miles and ate right. Of course I do splurge some on the week-ends. Long story short I joined a gym in 2005 and I do kickbox twice a week, watch what I eat, chase after two kids, housework, yardwork and whatever and I STILL can not lose these last 25 pds. I know I will never see 125 again but 135 would be nice. I am 5'6 weighing in at 160. I'm not that much overweight. Currently I still kickbox, I started cycling a few times a week and I walk. I do lift weights on alternate days. So I wonder what my problem is since I am trying to do everything right????? I am very frustrated!!
Old School

Knoxville, TN

#60 Jul 4, 2007
Where can my fat a$$ find some of these skiiny pills?
Quasimodo

Revere, MA

#62 Jul 28, 2007
I do not think Zara can be a doctor--I would hate to think that someone with a medical degree could be so stupid. Obesity is not a disease, it is a symptom of harmful feelings and behaviors. People who do not have enough to eat because they live in impoverished environments might have a hard time understanding the problem with being overfed. The truly hungry people of the world are not exercising self control, they are being denied access to basic necessities. I know that, yet here in my fat American body, I sometimes fantasize about being stranded on an island with no food--too bad I wasn't born in Malaysia...I do not know if there is a word for bulimia in Malaysian (it means "endless hunger" in Greek, originally) but I am sure there are words for various types of sadness, anxiety, fear, loneliness, and depression. Those are human problems that express themselves differently in different cultures. We have enough extra food in the U.S. to abuse it, and we do this to cope with very real stresses. I binge and purge so that when I meet someone like Zara, I keep my composure, and do not tell the ignorant bitch where to get off. I would not want to be the ugly American.
Shannon

Perry, FL

#67 Jul 16, 2011
Jaded wrote:
Yep, another little magic pill for those that just can't seem to push away from the table! Reminds me of a Beatles song......
Why should people with emotional problems continue to gain weight until they solve them? I think ur comment is callous at best.Im sure u have no problems at all.
Hungry All The Time

Perry, FL

#68 Jul 16, 2011
Your comment about "pushing away from the table" is callous. You obviously assume its an eating problem rather than a hunger problem.I think there needs to be something that can tell the brain to stop saying someone is hungry all the time. Ive always kept my eating and my weight in check, however I Always have the sensation that I am hungry.Its annoying to always feel hungry all the time.I thought perhaps it was a lack of certain vitamins issue but found no success when vitamins were taken. I hope the drug works with no side affects except weight loss.
Mom of 4

Redmond, OR

#69 Jul 18, 2011
When a person is overweight so many people automatically think they are lazy slobs that eat too much and eat unhealthy food.

Problem #1 - Healthy food is EXPENSIVE...there are so many people that can barely afford what they DO get let alone the excessively priced healthy food. I grumble about this every time I go to the grocery store. And yes, I can afford healthy food but understand that many can't

Problem #2 - There are a lot of people that cannot exercise due to medical problems or injuries. After three back surgeries (where I gained weight while I was recovering because ALL I could do was lay around) I cannot life more than 10 pounds and cannot stand on my feet for longer than an hour without pain. When a person is inactive their metabolism slows so even when they eat what is normal for them they gain weight.

Problem #3 - Our kids in America ARE more inactive than my generation was. WE didn't have video games or 300 channels on TV. We also had Physical Education in school....all the way through high school. EVERY DAY. They have removed PE from the school curriculum. Very sad...our kids need the exercise AND it also helps some learn how to play sports instead of just the ones that are naturals.

A person should not be judged by their weight...there may be factors that we don't know about. To blatantly say that Americans are lazy and stuff their fat faces is cruel and rude! Typical of someone who does not know what they are talking about.
Trevon
#70 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... 2 min silly rabbit 11
News Over 2,000 pounds of crawfish being delivered t... 42 min Kelly 59
News Amazing Sweet Spot offers a fair take on desser... 3 hr Mod Is Ass 1
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) Tue Find phartse 225
News Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Tue Twigeater 979
News 'Doughnut lady' finds new home (Feb '08) Mon Homer Simpson 5
News Get your ramen with a side of karaoke at Yokoha... Mon Udonbaby 1
More from around the web