Oklahoma Legislature Considering Home Baker's Bill

Oklahoma's home bakers are keeping a close eye on a bill making its way through the state capitol. Full Story
denel 37 d ee

Talala, OK

#21 Apr 18, 2010
you pay taxes on ever thing it takes to bake pies bread eggs gas elect. just away to get more money to give therselfes bigger razes the highway 169 they put in 6 or 8 years lasted 1 year before they had to repare ever 30 or 90 days so that shows our taxs are not doing a very good job they cut conners so theres taxes going to wast so they could put more mony in there pockts we dont need any more laws saying the goverment rules we the people rule no more goverment laws######
slimjim

Tulsa, OK

#22 Apr 18, 2010
May I help you out, the legislature means smell the money, grease there palm, help them cheat on there taxes, it never means write a law we can live with. Outlaw cell phone use would eleminate to many wrecks and is politicaly forbidden. Any law that makes sence would not be acceptable. These over paid clowns think they are great and should not be re elected.
Ben Dover

Tulsa, OK

#23 Apr 18, 2010
I say this people of Oklahoma:

If the state legislators really want to aid their citizens then let them enact a law similar to Arizona's new law enabling citizenry to carry concealed weapons without a permit. I am tired of Mr and Mrs Jones "grown up" kids down the street burglarizing my "cake", wrongfully eating my "cake", raping my "cake", killing my "cake" and in general, driving drunk and endangering my "cake".

Enacting a law like this will do more for home bakeries than a home baking law allowing what we should, as citizens, already have. In the name of Jesus, when did it become illegal to bake and sell goodies from the house? Have the "blue haired, church ladies at the court house been engaged in an illegal act all these years?

If we enact a law allowing the law abiding side of society to carry a weapon without a permit it will enable each of us to bake "cake" legally, retain our "cake" at a place of our choosing AND eventually, eat our "cake" at a date and time of our choosing. Yes, we can have our "cake" and eat it too.
Skully - Tulsa

Tulsa, OK

#24 Apr 18, 2010
Barb Dwyer wrote:
They can pass or possibly pass a bill to allow people to make and sale cookies and cakes, but can;t make bills making it illegal to smoke in public, talk/text on cell phones, make it a crime if you get beat up over your color or sexual orientation, sale 6 point beer and wine in stores oh wow, please tell me I am seeing this in a horrible nightmare!
Couldn't agree with you more! I, for one, would not buy from anyone unless I knew them personally and they were extraordinary clean. I would think they would have to carry special insurance to cover someone in case they became sick from the product and are hospitalized and/or sued---could they make enough money for such and state/city licenses---it would be like a "small" business. They would have to charge a pretty high fee to even try and break even?? Oh, well, Merritts and others need not worry--don't think your business will hurt if this item is recklessly passed.
Dee

Mannford, OK

#25 Apr 18, 2010
I am in total support of this bill, allowing home bakers to sell out of their kitchens. I am in support of less control by government period. One main reason we have such a controlling government is corporate america & the lobbiest that are threatened by a home baker or home dairy etc.
Did you know the selling raw milk in most states is outlawed why Corporate Dairies that are threatened by a little home dairy. The reason they pasturize milk products is because they cannot control cleanliness and shelf life.
Less government more happiness and productiveness..
Andre

Norman, OK

#26 Apr 18, 2010
This is jusst another way for the powers that be to be more intrusive in your home an hobbies along with other things like collecting more taxes.
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#27 Apr 18, 2010
Skully - Tulsa wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree with you more! I, for one, would not buy from anyone unless I knew them personally and they were extraordinary clean. I would think they would have to carry special insurance to cover someone in case they became sick from the product and are hospitalized and/or sued---could they make enough money for such and state/city licenses---it would be like a "small" business. They would have to charge a pretty high fee to even try and break even?? Oh, well, Merritts and others need not worry--don't think your business will hurt if this item is recklessly passed.
The more I think about this, the more this smacks of Toadies passing laws to protect Wal Mart. Make the price high enough that Grannies can't sell at Wal Mart Bakery prices and they won't do it.
James

Waurika, OK

#28 Apr 18, 2010
Legislators, LEAVE US ALONE! Fire them all and bulldoze the capital. Maybe not realistic but it is certainly what I would like to do. Had a nephew once ask if I preffered anarchy over government and the answer was no, then. Iam still not for anarchy but I certainly am not for rules to govern every possible action in my life. You say we must protect the public. Hogwash. Let the public take care of themselves for the most part. If I want to buy a cake or cookie from a bake sale, it is none of your business. When I was growing up we used to buy milk from local farms and dairies, you stopped that, for our own good and safety and millions of dollars from large milk producers. Just leave us to hell alone.
Dee

Mannford, OK

#29 Apr 18, 2010
What is really bad is they have to pass a law saying I can sell out of my house!!!! Think about it!
well

Tulsa, OK

#30 Apr 18, 2010
I want my cake and eat it too!
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#31 Apr 18, 2010
James wrote:
Legislators, LEAVE US ALONE! Fire them all and bulldoze the capital. Maybe not realistic but it is certainly what I would like to do. Had a nephew once ask if I preffered anarchy over government and the answer was no, then. Iam still not for anarchy but I certainly am not for rules to govern every possible action in my life. You say we must protect the public. Hogwash. Let the public take care of themselves for the most part. If I want to buy a cake or cookie from a bake sale, it is none of your business. When I was growing up we used to buy milk from local farms and dairies, you stopped that, for our own good and safety and millions of dollars from large milk producers. Just leave us to **** alone.
Here's the deal. The Republicans cry to high heavens about laws to help people with health care. They want out in Oklahoma but those same Republicans want to tax Grannie for being self sufficient and making money making cakes and pies out of her home. Why is that?
Cathy

Kansas, OK

#32 Apr 18, 2010
On more than one occasion I have had my mom bake items for me to take to get-togethers. I pay her for the ingredients and her time. Have we been breaking the law?

I would like someone (I don't have the time) to figure out how much taxpayer money is wasted on trivial bills? I recently learned a bill was passed in 2003 changing mistletoe from the state flower to the state floral emblem. Our state flower is now the Oklahoma rose. How wasteful of time and money was that?
Richard

Oklahoma City, OK

#33 Apr 18, 2010
Why the income restriction? What if they sell a cake to a wealthy man for $20,000. Do they have to shut down for 12 Months?
JRamic

Philadelphia, PA

#34 Apr 19, 2010
Thank you for featuring All things cake....It's my favorite new Tulsa establishment.
Shammy

Tulsa, OK

#35 Apr 19, 2010
truth wrote:
truth be told, it all comes down to money. you have to pay for a food handers card and then the the taxes that will be collected.
Absolutely correct. If a person would just stop and think about it, it is another revenue stream in a depressed economy. Watch the government continue looking at ways to make money instead of ways to curb spending. When will America, and our state, wake up to realize the government was not meant for things like this. Curb the spending and benefits to those dependent upon the government and we would be able to afford the infrastructure we all talk about. Passing a bill on home kitchen sales is one more way to drive people from taking care of children at home into a societal work force. And if a bakery is so worried that home kitchen sales cuts into their profit margin so much, they aren't much of a success anyway.
Bodidly

Tulsa, OK

#37 Apr 19, 2010
JRamic wrote:
Thank you for featuring All things cake....It's my favorite new Tulsa establishment.
LOL where is this new tulsa establishment
Tjuan Taylor

Tulsa, OK

#38 Apr 26, 2010
Barb Dwyer wrote:
They can pass or possibly pass a bill to allow people to make and sale cookies and cakes, but can;t make bills making it illegal to smoke in public, talk/text on cell phones, make it a crime if you get beat up over your color or sexual orientation, sale 6 point beer and wine in stores oh wow, please tell me I am seeing this in a horrible nightmare!
"Make and sale cookies"? "can;t"? "sale 6 point beer"? Barb- I am seeing you in a horrible uneducated Oklahoman nightmare.
This is stupid

Edmond, OK

#39 Aug 17, 2010
Really Oklahoma? This is getting ridiculous and makes me want to move!! I make delicious beautiful cakes for weddings and such at a discount price for people that don't have very much money and want a nice cake. Why is that so wrong? Why doesn't Brad Henry do his job and stop making stupid laws!
He is taking away alternative schools out of all school systems, because of lack of funds. But yet he spent 20 MILLION dollars to build a new RR track between Shawnee and OKC. I wouldn't have graduated high school if it wasn't for alternative school.
He can't fix the roads, but he can put CAMERAS at every toll booth so they can keep tabs on people w/o insurance!
He's a POS governer and I'm glad he can't run again!

*Bob Dwyer made an excellent point. They are making it illegal to make baked goods in homes, but they can't make texting/talking on the phone illegal? WTH? I was almost in about 5 wrecks today because of people talking on their phones! I could have died. But I have yet to even get sick from baked goods I made from home!
This is dumb and I will continue to make my cakes and so should everyone else that has been doing this as well!

PS. So since it's going to be illegal to make baked goods at home, what about bake sales? Many schools count on bake sales to raise money for lots of different things! I hope this bill doesn't pass!
Bodidly

Tulsa, OK

#40 Aug 18, 2010
Does anyone know if this bill passed or if this bill will be coming up in the next session?
Packing Heat

United States

#41 Aug 18, 2010
Brian wrote:
Who are they to tell us how much money we can make?!?
Obama clearly stated such, quote:
"I do think at a certain point you've made enough money". Google the quote and watch the video, he said it. Who really cares if Granny is making 100 extra or 100,000, she is doing all the work. Leave her alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Products from Azerbaijan receive 'registration'... 4 hr Dander 10
Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) 10 hr Eldorado 7
Lindenhurst Chiropractor Launches Nutrition Web... 11 hr Chiropractor from... 2
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban 12 hr Here Is One 208
French Vegetable Farmers Wreak Havoc on Town, B... 15 hr AppHappy 1
French Farmers Upset Over Falling Prices, Torch... 15 hr AppHappy 1
All's Fair In Love And (The Rubber Used To Make... 15 hr AppHappy 1
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) Sat All things clay 8,280
•••

Food People Search