Oklahoma Legislature Considering Home Baker's Bill

Oklahoma's home bakers are keeping a close eye on a bill making its way through the state capitol. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned

Tulsa, OK

#1 Apr 17, 2010
Larry's afraid that they may be BETTER than his............
Hershey Girl

Denver, CO

#2 Apr 17, 2010
Why are we letting these overpaid legislators getting daily perdiems keep coming up with these stupid bills! Let's throw them all out, pay them less than teachers and start all over. They have done nothing for their big paychecks (one of the highest in the nation). Dragging out a session where they create laws that will cost the state millions of dollars to defend. Which one of their wifes or children want to bake cakes at home?
Tjuan Taylor

Tulsa, OK

#3 Apr 17, 2010
The picture looks like something from the Mr. Bill show. Is it a pink Sluggo?
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#4 Apr 17, 2010
Hershey Girl wrote:
Why are we letting these overpaid legislators getting daily perdiems keep coming up with these stupid bills! Let's throw them all out, pay them less than teachers and start all over. They have done nothing for their big paychecks (one of the highest in the nation). Dragging out a session where they create laws that will cost the state millions of dollars to defend. Which one of their wifes or children want to bake cakes at home?
Boy I couldn't agree with you more. Just when you think Oklahoma Legislatures couldn't get any lower, they go crashing down even further. How is this state business if a person wants to make pies and say, sell them at a flea market which generally has it's share of puppy mill dogs, bootleg T-shirts, gucci bags and what have you? But you're going to go after ladies baking pies? No you're not. Nor should you. The economy is so bad none of those people are hurting anyone except for the puppy mill people and you rarely do anything about them unless they're just flagrant and can't be ignored.

The bottom line here is that this is just another grab for pennies to soak the public for MO MONEY for the legislatures to pass along to their corrupt backers. Probably Jim Inhofe needs more money for someone to shine his corrupt shoes. Or Sally Kern needs more paper for Lunatic fringe flyers.
Disappointed

Tulsa, OK

#5 Apr 17, 2010
What happened to the freedoms we once enjoyed here in America? People used to bake and decorate cakes all the time and sell them from their home and no one said a thing about it. Didn't ever hear of anyone getting sick either. Why do we need a Bill to sell food from our home? Most people have a kitchen in their homes and prepare their own food and eat it. How many millions of people get sick from their own cooking? I bet you can't find one Bakery or restaurant in Tulsa that is germ and clean free if you went in there with a white glove. So what's the difference in selling your own baked goods, BBQ, and Salsa from your own home? This past Friday I saw a sign on a city corner that said Tamales for Sale and the arrow pointing into a residential area. If I hadn't been on my way to work I would have taken the time to go buy a dozen. There is nothing better than home cooking. I would rather patronize a famiy with a gifted talent and could use the money in this sad economy than buy pre-packaged foods that say fresh baked.
Barb Dwyer

Tulsa, OK

#6 Apr 17, 2010
They can pass or possibly pass a bill to allow people to make and sale cookies and cakes, but can;t make bills making it illegal to smoke in public, talk/text on cell phones, make it a crime if you get beat up over your color or sexual orientation, sale 6 point beer and wine in stores oh wow, please tell me I am seeing this in a horrible nightmare!
Disappointed

Tulsa, OK

#7 Apr 17, 2010
I guess what I'm saying is we don't need the Bill. Instead, spend the taxpayers hard earned money on the Oklahoma roads, bridges and highways as promised years ago. Just keep baking and selling your delicious cakes, cupcakes and cookies out of your home if you want. "Be ye kind, one to another."
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#8 Apr 17, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
What happened to the freedoms we once enjoyed here in America? People used to bake and decorate cakes all the time and sell them from their home and no one said a thing about it. Didn't ever hear of anyone getting sick either. Why do we need a Bill to sell food from our home? Most people have a kitchen in their homes and prepare their own food and eat it. How many millions of people get sick from their own cooking? I bet you can't find one Bakery or restaurant in Tulsa that is germ and clean free if you went in there with a white glove. So what's the difference in selling your own baked goods, BBQ, and Salsa from your own home? This past Friday I saw a sign on a city corner that said Tamales for Sale and the arrow pointing into a residential area. If I hadn't been on my way to work I would have taken the time to go buy a dozen. There is nothing better than home cooking. I would rather patronize a famiy with a gifted talent and could use the money in this sad economy than buy pre-packaged foods that say fresh baked.
You make a fair point. About once a month I run into some guy somewhere with an ice chest (no ice of course) he's lugging around selling 6 tamales for 5.00. Sometimes they're a family selling out of a back of a truck. Now I don't make tamales and I don't like canned tamales. I like real homemade tamales. And every time i see one of these tamale sellers I buy six. Been doing it for years in more than one state. Never got sick yet.
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#9 Apr 17, 2010
Here's another consideration. Oklahoma has some of the most lax pollution laws in the nation. No fume restrictions on gas pumps, just sniff to your heart's content. Turn those mountains into Smoggy Mountain Breakdown. Knock yourself out. Catalytic converters on cars? Not on your life. What do we look like? California?

This state takes virtually no pollution or health risk seriously. UNLESS the state legislators can figure out how to turn it into money for them to spend. Now Republican or Democrat, deny that?
okie cupcake

Mannford, OK

#10 Apr 17, 2010
There are certainly good points being voiced by all sides. I work (illegally) by running a cake decorating business from my home. IF by some chance my cake made someone sick, then in our sue-happy society, I could potentially lose my home, car, and everything else because I do not have *business* insuarance because my *business* is not legally recognized because I do not have a certified bakery in my home, etc, etc. The bill is just a way to protect everyone.
Larry - Beverly Hills

Blanchard, OK

#11 Apr 17, 2010
Once again, a nonsensical law on the books. If someone's worried about home bakers, then they should stay away. It is not their place to tell me that I can't buy something from a home baker if I want to take the "risk". For crying out loud, I was in a restaurant today where I watched a waitress drop a bunch of napkin-wrapped silverware on the floor. She just scooped them right up, put them back on her serving tray, and handed them out to the customers. I'm sure that violated health regulations. But it didn't stop her.

In other words, in spite of what people think in their dreamworlds, laws and regulations do not stop human nature. It may feel good to put the hammer down, but in the end, people are going to do what they think they can get away with.

You want freedom? Start taking responsibility for yourself. You can't have one without the other.
Road Rage

Tulsa, OK

#12 Apr 17, 2010
While I think the legislators should be focusing on more important issues, if this law is passed, they better make sure the home bakeries are highly regulated and inspected often.
Steve the displaced Okie

Statesboro, GA

#13 Apr 17, 2010
gee seems like everyone wants the "Nanny State" to protect them.
Interesting

Tulsa, OK

#14 Apr 17, 2010
I see this bill as making no difference either way. I know people who make and sell stuff from their homes. I doubt they involve the government in their doings. They certainly don't make a living at it.

It's just another waste of time and with all the cut backs do they really think the health department is not busy enough already?
Brian

Tulsa, OK

#15 Apr 17, 2010
This bill is cleverly disguised to make it sound like it is a good thing. Oh, thank you so much big brother for letting us have a home business! Can we also choose our own bedtimes? What this is really doing is preventing people from making any decent money from a home based catering business. Putting a $20,000 cap on a home business is absolutely criminal. Who are they to tell us how much money we can make?!?
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#16 Apr 17, 2010
Larry - Beverly Hills wrote:
Once again, a nonsensical law on the books. If someone's worried about home bakers, then they should stay away. It is not their place to tell me that I can't buy something from a home baker if I want to take the "risk". For crying out loud, I was in a restaurant today where I watched a waitress drop a bunch of napkin-wrapped silverware on the floor. She just scooped them right up, put them back on her serving tray, and handed them out to the customers. I'm sure that violated health regulations. But it didn't stop her.
In other words, in spite of what people think in their dreamworlds, laws and regulations do not stop human nature. It may feel good to put the hammer down, but in the end, people are going to do what they think they can get away with.
You want freedom? Start taking responsibility for yourself. You can't have one without the other.
Exactly
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#17 Apr 17, 2010
Brian wrote:
This bill is cleverly disguised to make it sound like it is a good thing. Oh, thank you so much big brother for letting us have a home business! Can we also choose our own bedtimes? What this is really doing is preventing people from making any decent money from a home based catering business. Putting a $20,000 cap on a home business is absolutely criminal. Who are they to tell us how much money we can make?!?
Right as rain.
Robert

Tulsa, OK

#18 Apr 17, 2010
Brian wrote:
So what happens on the rare occasion that Granny gets popped for selling unlicensed pies and won't cop to a plea bargain? We're really going to spend resources for a prosecutor, a public defender, a judge, a jury and bailiff and court reporter to try Granny. Now Granny is 81 and got a clean record. Sings in the choir, feeds shut ins and works in soup kitchens. And Granny is guilty as charged after a trial? Are you going to send Granny to prison? No you're going to fine her an amount far less that it took to find her guilty. Now she refuses to pay. You're going to issue a bench warrant and put Granny in jail with thugs, prostitutes, meth users and child molesters? That will certainly play out well with the press. It's a no win situation. Granny has you by the proverbial b.alls because of a stupid law that you can't afford to enforce. Cause Granny don't make but 7.00 a pie and she don't got no money. This is STUPID
truth

Tulsa, OK

#19 Apr 17, 2010
truth be told, it all comes down to money. you have to pay for a food handers card and then the the taxes that will be collected.
Bodidly

Tulsa, OK

#20 Apr 17, 2010
then Uncle Sam wants his share and social security etc

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paula Deen serves up another racism-scandal apo... 14 min Harrisson 18
Hardee's Sandwich Piles Meat On More Meat (Apr '06) 38 min Go Blue Forever 39
Things to Do 2 hr general population 3
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban 2 hr Here Is One 216
Why is Miguels Jr. The Most Popular Mexican Res... (Feb '10) 6 hr Deborah 31
Mead, the honey-based brew producing a real buzz 8 hr Hwy 17 South Bill... 5
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 9 hr CCL 8,289
•••

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE