Haiti's poor resort to eating mud cookies

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

It was lunchtime in one of Haiti's worst slums, and Charlene Dumas was eating mud.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of201
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
robin

Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Truly sad, in this day and age for anyone in the world to be starving! Where are the humanitarian orgainzations? Why aren't these people receiving aid such as rice and flour? Why not help thse people to grow food? Where is the UN in this matter? All the UN can do is condemn Israel, and bendover to arab nations , what about the UN's job to help the worlds poor?
Namnos

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Judged:

If anyone buys this stupid idiotic story then you should go to Haiti and help these people make mud patty's for breakfast!!! If this was something that people really do to stay alive, then hunger all over the world could come to an immediate halt. Animals would never go hungry and we all know that animals don't even eat mud when they're hungry. So if you buy into this crap story as robin has, then you'll believe anything. Anyone want to buy some high protien mud please call me at 1-800- you're stupid.
Howard Stern

Holtwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Hoo hoo, Robin.

I invented mud cookies. Tell em Fred.
Don

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Somehow, this is George Bush's fault and must be related to global warming.
debbie

Algonquin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Namnos wrote:
If anyone buys this stupid idiotic story then you should go to Haiti and help these people make mud patty's for breakfast!!! If this was something that people really do to stay alive, then hunger all over the world could come to an immediate halt. Animals would never go hungry and we all know that animals don't even eat mud when they're hungry. So if you buy into this crap story as robin has, then you'll believe anything. Anyone want to buy some high protien mud please call me at 1-800- you're stupid.
Please join us in Haiti in May and you can see this for yourself. It DOES happen. Don't make judgment on people who are so desperate and starving that they are forced to eat mud. Go help them instead of criticizing.
Cato

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Well, according to Wikipedia:
"Haitian Cuisine is influenced in large part by the methods and foods involved in French cuisine as well as by staples originating from African and Taíno cuisine, such as cassava (kasav), yam, and maize (mayi). Haitian food, though unique in its own right, shares much in common with that of the rest of Latin America."

I says nothing about mud cookies.
Nothing.
ray

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Where is baby DOC all the money that the US gave them. What a waste Baby DOC should be in Gitmo getting water boarded.
john a carroll md

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Excellent article by Mr. Katz.

Conditions in Haiti are deplorable and inexcusable.

See www.dyinginhaiti.blogspot.com
antonioj

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Please stop the madness and the sensatiolization stop believing the hype, the presss need this to sales paper television ad, guess what Haiti is an easy target.
Next the will say Haitian are eating human flesh go figure
Christian Republican

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Judged:

SIMPLE wrote:
No, the only way to help is to stop sending food or money.(These stories are made to get YOUR funds into the pockets of these so called volunteer groups) Send boatloads of condoms and call for mandatory sterilization and forced abortions to those too stupid to realize that bringing another baby into these slums doesn't solve the hunger crisis. 1 mud pie split 6 ways is not as filling as having 1 to yourself. STOP F@CKING AND GETTING PREGNANT!
Couldn't have said it better
antonioj

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

I co-sign this and I am Haitian. I beleive deeply in population control
SIMPLE wrote:
No, the only way to help is to stop sending food or money.(These stories are made to get YOUR funds into the pockets of these so called volunteer groups) Send boatloads of condoms and call for mandatory sterilization and forced abortions to those too stupid to realize that bringing another baby into these slums doesn't solve the hunger crisis. 1 mud pie split 6 ways is not as filling as having 1 to yourself. STOP FUCKING AND GETTING PREGNANT!
Mike

Van Nuys, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

john a carroll md wrote:
Excellent article by Mr. Katz.
Conditions in Haiti are deplorable and inexcusable.
See www.dyinginhaiti.blogspot.com
IMAGINE GIVING BIRTH TO A BABY THAT YOU CANNOT FEED OR CARE FOR.

From your own Haitian Hearts website. Do you not see a problem with the mentality of these Haitians? Are you doing anything to educate them about birth control? Or do you just continue to try and tug at the heartstrings of Americans so you can line the pockets of your nonprofit? You may consider my remarks to be ignorant and insensitive however in my mind you do not help these people if you are not getting to the root of the problem. Saving 60 kids does not solve hunger. Preventing 60 births to poor families that cannot afford them does.
What

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Namnos wrote:
You are such and idiotic insensitive person! If this is untrue then they should be accused of yellow journalism or are you saying that these newspapers are reporting lies?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-01-29...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22902512/
What

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

SIMPLE wrote:
No, the only way to help is to stop sending food or money.(These stories are made to get YOUR funds into the pockets of these so called volunteer groups) Send boatloads of condoms and call for mandatory sterilization and forced abortions to those too stupid to realize that bringing another baby into these slums doesn't solve the hunger crisis. 1 mud pie split 6 ways is not as filling as having 1 to yourself. STOP FUCKING AND GETTING PREGNANT!
Mandatory sterilization and forced abortion??? Sounds unconstitutional to me and almost like a form of genocide? Are you kidding me?? You must be an evil person to say things like that when it is about another human being! I am sure the Pilgrims thought the same thing about the American Indians. Sad to hear that people still think that way about oppressed people almost like kicking a dieing dog... Very sad indeed!
What

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Judged:

debbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Please join us in Haiti in May and you can see this for yourself. It DOES happen. Don't make judgment on people who are so desperate and starving that they are forced to eat mud. Go help them instead of criticizing.
Until it knocks on your door do not judge these people! I feel for your people. I have been to Santo Domingo and have seen poverty. It is not easy to see...
SIMPLE

Van Nuys, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

What wrote:
<quoted text>
Mandatory sterilization and forced abortion??? Sounds unconstitutional to me and almost like a form of genocide? Are you kidding me?? You must be an evil person to say things like that when it is about another human being! I am sure the Pilgrims thought the same thing about the American Indians. Sad to hear that people still think that way about oppressed people almost like kicking a dieing dog... Very sad indeed!
The mud has long been prized by pregnant women and children here as an antacid and source of calcium. But in places like Cite Soleil, the oceanside slum where Charlene shares a two-room house with her baby, five siblings and two unemployed parents, cookies made of dirt, salt and vegetable shortening have become a regular meal. 16 YEARS OLD WITH A ONE MONTH OLD CHILD 2 UNEMPLOYED PARENTS AND FIVE SIBLINGS AND YOU WANT COMPASSION FROM ME? IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ALLOW THESE PEOPLE TO PROCREATE LIKE COCKROACHES.NATURAL SELECTION WITHOUT HANDOUTS FROM ALL THE BLEEDING HEARTS WILL SOLVE THE WORLDS HUNGER PROBLEMS.
Heinrich

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

What wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, for some populations Eugenics is appropriate.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

What wrote:
<quoted text>
I WOULDN'T KICK A DYING DOG. I WOULD EUTHANIZE IT. BY POURING RESOURCES SUCH AS FREE MEDICAL CARE AND FOOD INTO AN IMPOVERISHED NATION AND NOT EDUCATING THEM ON THE NEEDS OF BIRTH CONTROL AND THE PROPER WAYS TO FARM AND PROVIDE FOR THEMSELVES THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DEPEND ON HANDOUTS FROM AMERICA AND OTHERS. CONTINUE TO GIVE TO THE CATHOLIC CHARITIES SO THEY CAN PROMOTE CHILDBIRTH AND RALLY AGAINST ABORTION AND CONTRACEPTION.
antonioj

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Mike I agree in substance to alot of what you have to say . I beleive is best to show someone how to fish instead of giving him the fish
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>I WOULDN'T KICK A DYING DOG. I WOULD EUTHANIZE IT. BY POURING RESOURCES SUCH AS FREE MEDICAL CARE AND FOOD INTO AN IMPOVERISHED NATION AND NOT EDUCATING THEM ON THE NEEDS OF BIRTH CONTROL AND THE PROPER WAYS TO FARM AND PROVIDE FOR THEMSELVES THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DEPEND ON HANDOUTS FROM AMERICA AND OTHERS. CONTINUE TO GIVE TO THE CATHOLIC CHARITIES SO THEY CAN PROMOTE CHILDBIRTH AND RALLY AGAINST ABORTION AND CONTRACEPTION.
Repubicans Hate Reality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2008

Judged:

Don wrote:
Somehow, this is George Bush's fault and must be related to global warming.
Yeah, right. We all know it was because of Bill Clinton. It's always because of Bill Clinton.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of201
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Food Discussions

Search the Food Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Obamas want daughters to get taste of life on m... 1 hr swedenforever 301
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 6 hr crazy 4 stuff 7,747
Lazy Dog Cafe Brings Mountain Resort Feel to Or... 6 hr summer 1
JPS To Offer Free Meals To Elementary, Middle S... (Aug '13) 13 hr Walt- JPS FS Director 9
Percentage of Americans on welfare hits record ... 17 hr CentsOfEntitlement 1
Steak and Shake Fire 17 hr Troll 15
Lukin's Brick Oven Pizza & Lounge to Open on Va... (Oct '12) 22 hr Potholes and Riggies 27
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••