Updated guidelines for pregnancy and ...

Updated guidelines for pregnancy and weight gain are largely un...

There are 3 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 29, 2009, titled Updated guidelines for pregnancy and weight gain are largely un.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Panel members said women and their doctors must try harder to help the women reach a normal weight before pregnancy and avoid excessive weight gain during pregnancy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

BMI is BS

Orlando, FL

#1 May 29, 2009
The one part of this story that causes me to wonder about the validity of the article is the fact that the prime measurement being used here is the Body Mass Index.

My long standing problem with the BMI has to do with the formula by which it's calculated, which goes something like Height X (Some Given Percentage; I forget what it is, much less how it was arrived at), then divide the result into your weight, & there's your BMI.

You see, even I learned in basic science that anything that has mass, from hydrogen atoms to galaxies, occupies 3 dimensional space, which means that everything that has mass has Height, Width, and Depth. But if you look again at the formula for the Body Mass Index, you see it only takes ONE of those dimensions, Height, into account, and ignores Width and Depth.

And this is why I for one consider BMI to be a load of BS, because unless you're going to factor in all 3 dimensions a person occupies into this calculation, and not just one, the end result is totally erronious! So, as far as I'm concerned, until the folks who came up with this formula re-calculate it to allow for all 3 dimensions that mass occupies, and not just one of them, the BMI should be ignored as a diagnostic tool.

As to the point of the article about how pregnant women should try to be in the best physical shape they can be before and during pregnancy, no argument there.
Braeden
#2 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Mike

Selkirk, NY

#4 Sep 26, 2013
Braeden wrote:
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
So you got tacken', stop your belly aching! Suck it up and move on. You sound like a sniveling child!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A weird Florida mystery: Meat falling from the sky Fri Mona 2
News Finally Getting Sweet on Jioio's Pizza (Jan '13) Fri pgh 4
News The Un-Pretty History Of Georgia's Iconic Peach Fri KIR SUCKA 8
News A weird Florida mystery: Frozen pork falling fr... Thu Fundiementally ill 1
News 15 things to add to your Erie bucket list this ... (Apr '16) Jul 20 Sagertown Sally 6
News More than 30 BoatHouse Canton employees leave a... Jul 20 Mister Jeremy 2
News You Asked: What Is the Healthiest Way to Cook V... Jul 20 kyrios777 1
More from around the web