SNAP recipients can save at farmers' ...

SNAP recipients can save at farmers' markets

There are 47 comments on the North County Public Radio story from Jun 10, 2014, titled SNAP recipients can save at farmers' markets. In it, North County Public Radio reports that:

There's more and more to buy at farmers' markets this time of year. For many shoppers, it's exciting to watch the growers' stands fill up with new fruits and vegetables.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Public Radio.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kilt Wearing Maniac

Hogansburg, NY

#41 Jun 19, 2014
Evil Bill, I been busy, happen to have access to a computer today (don't own one myself) and couldn't think of anything else to waste time on so I popped in, this was the only conversation I thought I could contribute to.

I grew up in the backwoods, spent most of my life in the backwoods, my brief time in Massena was the only exception to it and that went badly so I went back to what I know. the stress from that environment was enough to make me confront my biggest problems and become strong enough to purge them from my life. only problem with living like an 1880s homesteader is that I have to keep chasing the tourists and hippies away

_Evil-_-Bill_

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#42 Jun 19, 2014
Kilt Wearing Maniac wrote:
Evil Bill, I been busy, happen to have access to a computer today (don't own one myself) and couldn't think of anything else to waste time on so I popped in, this was the only conversation I thought I could contribute to.
I grew up in the backwoods, spent most of my life in the backwoods, my brief time in Massena was the only exception to it and that went badly so I went back to what I know. the stress from that environment was enough to make me confront my biggest problems and become strong enough to purge them from my life. only problem with living like an 1880s homesteader is that I have to keep chasing the tourists and hippies away
Those goddam hippies are prolly worse than tourists.

You might remember me as Ill Bill. I'm a stumpy too. Although I went there before the new classroom and we only had 2 payphones.

To bad about the footbridge. I'll be up in September for the annual Big Pine Climb. This will be my 15th year climbing it.
you have no class at all

Ogdensburg, NY

#43 Jun 20, 2014
agreed wrote:
I agree 100 percent. Had an able bodied 19 year old male in front of me the other day at price chopper. Hr was using his snap card and bragging about getting ssi. He is "disabled" due to ADHD. Really? Some Dr getting rich on that bs diagnosis. And what an unnecessary strain on ss program. Makes this full time middle class person sick.
You most certainly made this up. I can not imagine anybody, in line at a store bragging they get SSI, due to ADHD. How do you know that he does or doesn't have anything? Just because he looked like an able bodied 19 year old, does not mean he is. I am pretty sure, by just reading this, that if it had happened, which I don't think it did, you would have ran your mouth and made a big scene, where somebody would have had to come and put an end to it. How do you know that he doesn't have a job, and collecting SSI at the same time, which is possible and legal. People like you who have no clue about anything, get on here and make things up, just to complain, make me sick. Grow up, you full time middle class person. By the way, what is a full time middle class person? Your income may be middle class, but you sure as shit, show no class at all.
The truth

Brooklyn, NY

#44 Jun 24, 2014
In order to be approved for SSDI / SSI (below the age of 62) you have to show through a series of valid medical documentation you are disabled. If anyone tells you otherwise is a liar or pulling your conservative chain because you are naive.

Many disorders, etc occur within and are invisible to the eye. You will not see "Cancer" when looking at someone from behind on a check out line and that person could seem "abled bodied" however 2 days removed from Chemo for example.

Only in America do people use free speech as means to hurt other human beings and develop unhealthy beliefs and perceptions toward others.

My tax dollars will continue to help people in need and our government. I have no problems with someone on public assistance and SSI / SSDI. We should help each other and not the opposite.
ignorant

Massena, NY

#45 Jun 26, 2014
While I agree some abuse the system. Not ALL do! So to judge EVERY single person who gets SSi or Snap or Heap ect. Is ignorant. Especially not knowing there life story, there health ect. Like above the guy who lost his job and had to find the 1st job to he could get to support his family. So what if he gets snap to feed his family he works to pay the bills and clothes and for his kids things they need. The heat this winter was crazy! There was people who have high paying jobs who had to ask Heap for help. So don't loop all people getting those things for help if you don't know them or there life story.
ignorant

Massena, NY

#46 Jun 26, 2014
The truth wrote:
In order to be approved for SSDI / SSI (below the age of 62) you have to show through a series of valid medical documentation you are disabled. If anyone tells you otherwise is a liar or pulling your conservative chain because you are naive.
Many disorders, etc occur within and are invisible to the eye. You will not see "Cancer" when looking at someone from behind on a check out line and that person could seem "abled bodied" however 2 days removed from Chemo for example.
Only in America do people use free speech as means to hurt other human beings and develop unhealthy beliefs and perceptions toward others.
My tax dollars will continue to help people in need and our government. I have no problems with someone on public assistance and SSI / SSDI. We should help each other and not the opposite.
I agree they don't know what a person has or been through. so to judge them because they see them pull out a snap card is so ignorant. When they have not walked in there shoes or know anything about the person. like you stated they could have an illness that is not visible like cancer, be on dialysis, have fibromyalgia so bad they can barely move, there's many hidden illnesses just because they look ok doesn't mean they are or feel ok some people mask stuff. I was behind a younger woman in walmart oneday and to look at her she looked perfectly fine then saw her hold on to her cart and tell the person she was with they need to hurry before she passes out. I overheard them say she was on dialysis. and it takes alot out of her. So see we can't always just judge a person because to "US" they may look ok. if you don't know them or there story the quit judging that's what's wrong with this world everyone is so quick to judge!
hmm

Worcester, MA

#47 Jul 29, 2014
I have severe ADHD. I am now in my mid 30s and I have worked my whole life, starting at 16, as either a cook or waitress, most of the time working between 40-60 hrs a week. I am currently on SSD, not because of my ADHD, but because of the 5 back surgeries ive had in the last three years do to a bad car accident. It took me a long time to get help so that I could support my children yet people are getting on SSI in 6 months because of Add. Its very unfair to tjose of us who really need it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gorgeous weather, cheesecake draw large crowd t... 10 min Harry Bawls 2
News Three generations keep Milton dairy farm succes... 9 hr farms eh 1
News Shorty's Place changing ownership and management (Jul '14) Sat Big time 10
News What's Happening Fri guest 14
News Allentown Fair's new contests and demonstrations Fri Bob 2
News America's First Meat-Free Fast-Food Restaurant ... Thu CO MW Support Col... 2
News Recipe for disaster: inside the New York City P... Sep 20 KMD 1
More from around the web