SNAP recipients can save at farmers' ...

SNAP recipients can save at farmers' markets

There are 47 comments on the North County Public Radio story from Jun 10, 2014, titled SNAP recipients can save at farmers' markets. In it, North County Public Radio reports that:

There's more and more to buy at farmers' markets this time of year. For many shoppers, it's exciting to watch the growers' stands fill up with new fruits and vegetables.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Public Radio.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
protest

Potsdam, NY

#1 Jun 10, 2014
What about people who work for a living what discount do they get or do you have to be a scumbag to eat fresh food?
agreed

Hermon, NY

#2 Jun 10, 2014
I agree 100 percent. Had an able bodied 19 year old male in front of me the other day at price chopper. Hr was using his snap card and bragging about getting ssi. He is "disabled" due to ADHD. Really? Some Dr getting rich on that bs diagnosis. And what an unnecessary strain on ss program. Makes this full time middle class person sick.
wing nut

Massena, NY

#3 Jun 10, 2014
Whine whine whine Bitch bitch bitch .Its so sad that all you have to do is complain about what others get or don't get. If is fresh veggies I what yo want its this simpe GROW YOUR OWN
just reading

Rochester, NY

#4 Jun 10, 2014
wing nut wrote:
Whine whine whine Bitch bitch bitch .Its so sad that all you have to do is complain about what others get or don't get. If is fresh veggies I what yo want its this simpe GROW YOUR OWN
Same goes to those who live off the system,grow your own. or better yet,get off your ass and get a job. can't work because of ADHD,unreal. I know people with down syndrome that can hold a job and I say bravo to them ! but no worries,welfare recipients won't use their discount at the farmer's market because they don't sell soda,chips,and snack cakes
Butch

Brasher Falls, NY

#5 Jun 10, 2014
protest wrote:
What about people who work for a living what discount do they get or do you have to be a scumbag to eat fresh food?
... They get to feel happy about donateing more tax dollars tthat'll end up in the snap program
shiststainer

Massena, NY

#6 Jun 10, 2014
protest wrote:
you silly little b*tch, nobody is getting a discount, you'll pay the same price as everyone else. Why call people scumbags who are having a hard time making ends meet? Direct your anger at the politicians who've created an environment so unfriendly to businesses willing to hire AMERICANS. Maybe you haven't noticed the mass exodus of jobs from the county. Remember GM, no? Ok, remember Reynolds, no? How about ALCOA? Probably not them either, huh? The largest employer in St Lawrence County is, wait for it... wait for it... THE GOVERNMENT. Yes folks, if you've got a good paycheck, and a decent home, and can afford to pay your bills, then there's an 85% chance you work for the government (local, state, or federal). Everything from police (state, county, local pd, homeland security, coast guard, customs, border patrol) to the people who collect your garbage and fix the roads (lol). So let's be honest about this, government workers are a bigger drain on our taxes than the poor with their outrageous salaries that are generally 15-25% higher than their private business counterparts, and benefits they get that are putting future generations of americans in debt before they are even born. But ok, keep on badgering the poor, ignorant dick.
just reading

Buffalo, NY

#7 Jun 10, 2014
shiststainer wrote:
<quoted text>you silly little b*tch, nobody is getting a discount, you'll pay the same price as everyone else. Why call people scumbags who are having a hard time making ends meet? Direct your anger at the politicians who've created an environment so unfriendly to businesses willing to hire AMERICANS. Maybe you haven't noticed the mass exodus of jobs from the county. Remember GM, no? Ok, remember Reynolds, no? How about ALCOA? Probably not them either, huh? The largest employer in St Lawrence County is, wait for it... wait for it... THE GOVERNMENT. Yes folks, if you've got a good paycheck, and a decent home, and can afford to pay your bills, then there's an 85% chance you work for the government (local, state, or federal). Everything from police (state, county, local pd, homeland security, coast guard, customs, border patrol) to the people who collect your garbage and fix the roads (lol). So let's be honest about this, government workers are a bigger drain on our taxes than the poor with their outrageous salaries that are generally 15-25% higher than their private business counterparts, and benefits they get that are putting future generations of americans in debt before they are even born. But ok, keep on badgering the poor, ignorant dick.
You're right,they aren't getting a discount,however SNAp recipients are recieving an incentive to buy more foods at the farmer's market when they swipe their card. So how is that fair to those who aren't on assistance? and there are jobs in the area,however the majority of people on assistance refuse to work those jobs. before I got my full time 40+ hr a week job,I worked 3 part time jobs to make ends meet. I worked 7 days a week,some days 15 hr days. so don't play the pity card. if they wanted to work,they would.but it's easier to sit back and get that monthly check. I have no problem is assisting those who have fallen onhard times,but most have never worked a day in their life.
tammy

Danielson, CT

#8 Jun 10, 2014
agreed wrote:
I agree 100 percent. Had an able bodied 19 year old male in front of me the other day at price chopper. Hr was using his snap card and bragging about getting ssi. He is "disabled" due to ADHD. Really? Some Dr getting rich on that bs diagnosis. And what an unnecessary strain on ss program. Makes this full time middle class person sick.
My son is ADD and works full time as a great mechanic they can work just like "normal" people what a joke that guy is
wing nut

Massena, NY

#9 Jun 10, 2014
just reading wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right,they aren't getting a discount,however SNAp recipients are recieving an incentive to buy more foods at the farmer's market when they swipe their card. So how is that fair to those who aren't on assistance? and there are jobs in the area,however the majority of people on assistance refuse to work those jobs. before I got my full time 40+ hr a week job,I worked 3 part time jobs to make ends meet. I worked 7 days a week,some days 15 hr days. so don't play the pity card. if they wanted to work,they would.but it's easier to sit back and get that monthly check. I have no problem is assisting those who have fallen onhard times,but most have never worked a day in their life.
Let me guess you also had to walk to school both ways up hill in a blinding snow storm huh .
protest

Potsdam, NY

#10 Jun 10, 2014
wing nut wrote:
<quoted text>Let me guess you also had to walk to school both ways up hill in a blinding snow storm huh .
Let me guess if you had to do something like that you would want the government to pay for your taxi. I say scumbags because that's what most of them are leeches sucking off the government teat. You want to blame the government can you imagine the fit that those people would have if they took it away. There are plenty of jobs around if you look which most of the welfare recipients won't.
blah blah

Massena, NY

#11 Jun 10, 2014
protest wrote:
Yea, I guess my brother is a "scumbag" since he got laid off and has to work at walmart...which means he doesn't make enough to feed his family and had to use SNAP.

It's people like you who spit on the American worker when you shop at Walmart and support disloyal corporations who cause these problems. You say nothing about how banks and the Fed are destroying the dollar and sucking trillions out of the economy. You say nothing about corporations shipping jobs overseas and destroying jobs. Nooo- it's the fault of your fellow citizens. That's right, blame your neighbor. The banks and corporations love it when you are stupid enough to do that...because you aren't blaming them!

Get a clue.
wow

Massena, NY

#12 Jun 10, 2014
agreed wrote:
When did you get your doctor's degree?
just reading

Buffalo, NY

#13 Jun 10, 2014
wing nut wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess you also had to walk to school both ways up hill in a blinding snow storm huh .
Actully no,I had an after school job and bought my car and pad my ownIinsurance and gas to get around town
protest

Potsdam, NY

#14 Jun 10, 2014
blah blah wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, I guess my brother is a "scumbag" since he got laid off and has to work at walmart...which means he doesn't make enough to feed his family and had to use SNAP.

It's people like you who spit on the American worker when you shop at Walmart and support disloyal corporations who cause these problems. You say nothing about how banks and the Fed are destroying the dollar and sucking trillions out of the economy. You say nothing about corporations shipping jobs overseas and destroying jobs. Nooo- it's the fault of your fellow citizens. That's right, blame your neighbor. The banks and corporations love it when you are stupid enough to do that...because you aren't blaming them!

Get a clue.
Tell him to get another job and get off welfare go back to school if you want more money nothing comes easy and you won't get rich working at Walmart
Annie

Troy, NY

#15 Jun 10, 2014
protest wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell him to get another job and get off welfare go back to school if you want more money nothing comes easy and you won't get rich working at Walmart
How should he pay for school? With his wages from Walmart? In today's economy a degree doesn't guarantee anyone a job. Don't go into debt for school unless it is in health care or a trade.
eyeroll

New York, NY

#16 Jun 10, 2014
Its hard to imagine how the scumbag losers on here with no life could possible be jealous of someone on SSI. I'm sure they would give up their $800 a month to be able to work and make a living doing so. Maybe if you all had lives you wouldn't be so interested in the lives of everyone else.
protest

Potsdam, NY

#17 Jun 10, 2014
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>How should he pay for school? With his wages from Walmart? In today's economy a degree doesn't guarantee anyone a job. Don't go into debt for school unless it is in health care or a trade.
So work at Walmart and stfu if you want things in life you must work for it but instead it's easier to stand in line with your hand out have fun being a burden on the true working class the ones who go to school to better themselves or work two jobs not just say I work at Walmart or mcdonalds and I deserve more money
blah blah

Massena, NY

#18 Jun 10, 2014
protest wrote:
<quoted text>
He DID get another job. The first he could find.

He went from making $24 an hour with full benefits and vacation time to working for $10 bucks an hour part time on a rotating schedule making it difficult to get a second job. He is 45, has 2 kids, a wife with a full time crap job, and a mortgage. You want him to go into debt paying for school while working on a rotating random schedule? YOU tell him, and be ready to defend yourself.

Idiots like you think you have all the answers. But here in reality, where the rubber meets the road, we see the effects of corporations ruining the job market and shipping our jobs to Mexico or China. No jobs means a poor economy. People buy less and corporations ship more jobs overseas, while horrible companies like Sprawlmart sell the foreign made goods and hardly anything made in the US. Retailers like Walmart are anti-US jobs, anti-US economy, and anti-American.

You have no clue. You are obviously part of the problem, I wouldn't be surprised if you drive a GM POS and shop at Walmart. If you do, you are f*cking over your neighbors and yourself.
blah blah

Massena, NY

#19 Jun 10, 2014
protest wrote:
<quoted text>
So work at Walmart and stfu if you want things in life you must work for it but instead it's easier to stand in line with your hand out have fun being a burden on the true working class the ones who go to school to better themselves or work two jobs not just say I work at Walmart or mcdonalds and I deserve more money
Have fun being a burden? Are you living in some fantasy world? Sitting at home fuming over something you are creating in your head is self-destructive. Get outside, it is a beautiful day. I was enjoying it all morning. Otherwise we will end up reading about you being the perp in the next American Shooting du Jour.

Try to be a positive force in this life ans opposed to a negative burden on humanity. If you see fraud report it and be ready to give honest real evidence. If you are making up fantasies in your mind and talking smack about others as a way to offset your own miseries, then get a life.
agreed

Rochester, NY

#20 Jun 11, 2014
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you get your doctor's degree?
?????????? What do you mean? He was bragging about getting benefits BC of his ADHD. He walked fine, got into his car fine while talking on his nice new phone. I'm sure he could push a broom or rake a yard. we have Bri did a lazy generation of people who feel the government owes them something. I refuse to support people like that or help them at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Against "Authenticity," Pea Guacamole Edition 6 hr Miss Id 1
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 8 hr Fart news 591
News Free pancake breakfast to be served during firs... (Sep '12) 14 hr Halton not safe 2... 2
News Fitness Profile: Lan Phan (Sep '07) Fri Mize 18
News Johnny Rockets burger chain entering El Paso; B... Fri butters_ 4
News Concord: Lettuce In-troduce Karen Bell, purveyo... Fri Duh 2
News Toronto Restaurant Openings: Wenona Craft Beer ... Fri Don Peat Byline 2
More from around the web