Gerber's Grill ReOpens in Downtown Ut...

Gerber's Grill ReOpens in Downtown Utica as Gerber's 1933 Tavern

There are 25 comments on the Lite 98.7 story from May 2, 2013, titled Gerber's Grill ReOpens in Downtown Utica as Gerber's 1933 Tavern. In it, Lite 98.7 reports that:

A long-closed restaurant in Utica has reopened. Gerber's 1933 Tavern opened in the historic eatery at the corner of Liberty Street and Hotel Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lite 98.7.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Comet fan

Albany, NY

#23 Feb 7, 2014
Is there a bar crowd there before and after the Comet hockey games ? I'm thinking of going there after one of the games,I just don't want to be the only one there.
Out of the loop

Utica, NY

#24 Feb 7, 2014
I normally do my drinking in neighborhood type bars like the former Uncles Tavern, or the main stream restaurants, so I'm not up with the prices in places like this. Plus, I only drink beer, because any of the high octane stuff scrambles my brain. I went to Gerber's recently to try it out when I was in the area. They charged $4.50 for a draft. Is that reasonable?

Sherburne, NY

#25 Feb 7, 2014
That's pricy for a draft!
beer drunk

Albany, NY

#26 Feb 7, 2014
Beer wrote:
That's pricy for a draft!
That depends if it's a domestic or craft beer and how big the glass is.

Syracuse, NY

#27 Nov 4, 2014
You we're paying six dollars a drink and you reached fifty bucks? That's eight drinks. Are you sure you were not cocked?
Resident wrote:
Yes, they do take credit cards. I used one. And, yes, they do have air conditioning.
True story... I stopped there with a friend when they first opened.

I told the bartender to run a tab, he said okay. After being there for about an hour, a couple walked in that I knew, I asked the bartender to give them a drink on me.

The bartender said he couldn't give them a drink until I paid my tab. I asked why, are you throwing me out? He said no, we don't take credit cards and when the bill reaches $50.00, you have to pay it to continue drinking. I found this to be very demeaning, however, I took out 3 twenty dollar bills and said close enough.

I said can I buy my friends a drink now, I laid 2 more twenty dollar bills on the bar. He gave them each a drink and one to me. He took both twenties and gave me $16.00 change. That was $24.00 for three drinks. I said , how the hell much is a drink here? Well, he said, the guy had a double Johnny Walker Black,$10.00, the lady had a martini,$8.00 and your drink should have been $8.00, but I only charged you $6.00. I was drinking vodka ( I didn't specify any particular brand), but he said he'd been pouring me the better brand.

By now I'd had it ..I threw him another ten, walked out and put the X on the joint. OH yeah' I didn't feel any air conditioning, they had a big old style fan blowing hot air.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why is Miguels Jr. The Most Popular Mexican Res... (Feb '10) Mon TastyMexicanFood 34
News Fastnachts: Where to buy them in the Lehigh Valley Mon Reggie Pinetti 12
News These Farmworkers Know How to End Sexual Harass... Sun ny cesspool 1
News Why do egg rolls in Chicago taste like peanut b... Mar 17 Boeboe The Patch 2
News Elkhart Wildflower Walks Each Saturday in April (Mar '17) Mar 17 jimmy johnson 9
News Matthew McConaughey - Yes That Matthew McConaug... Mar 17 tada 2
Mediterranean Pizza: Food Network Potion Mar 16 Abishai100 1