Gerber's Grill ReOpens in Downtown Utica as Gerber's 1933 Tavern

May 2, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Lite 98.7

A long-closed restaurant in Utica has reopened. Gerber's 1933 Tavern opened in the historic eatery at the corner of Liberty Street and Hotel Street.

Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ticket police

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

another business claiming to be a downtown business when they are not...

Since: Apr 13

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

...another business that is doomed to fail.
Bryan

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Utica Region Is For Trash wrote:
...another business that is doomed to fail.
Way to stay positive. You sound like a degenerate.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Sounds good. From what I understand, they're going to start having dancers on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Should be a good time.
wanabe

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

it may be too soon to judge..not a full menu...4 or 5 things listed. when we got there, the bartender was out front smoking-cool!!! was expecting more inside, smells old, waitress friendly but I think she was happy to see us since we were the only 2 in there. hope they can make it-tough area.
Resident

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Stopped in there to check it out. Nice place,nice atmosphere. Everyone who worked there was very nice (including the bartender)! My only suggestion is that the prices are a little steep for just a small sandwich. The owner should compare his business to Swiftys since that would be his competition. Wouldn't go back there to eat, but would go back for a drink.
Wambo

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

I heard they do not want to take credit cards and will try to keep it how it was in the day of that sort of place.

Why not keep the prices then the same? I think its not good to not take credit cards as most do not carry cash these days and all restaurants pretty much take them except the dump places.

Also, was there air conditioning when it was hot out?
Resident

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Yes, they do take credit cards. I used one. And, yes, they do have air conditioning.
Wambo

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Resident wrote:
Yes, they do take credit cards. I used one. And, yes, they do have air conditioning.
do they take cash and I hate air conditioning?
MR NORTH UTICA

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Just stop in and see for your selfs nice place.
Wambo

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

I dont like to pay over ten bucks for an entire meal and I heard this place charges prices from back in the day of the tavern. I think ten bucks should cover for at least four or five for an entire meal. I will stop in and budget ten bucks including tip.

Drinks should be cheap too I heard.
A Boozer

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

If they are keeping things "back in the day", then the prices should be 'back in the day'. A $10 bill should buy out the whole bar!!!!!!!!! lol
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Resident wrote:
Stopped in there to check it out. Nice place,nice atmosphere. Everyone who worked there was very nice (including the bartender)! My only suggestion is that the prices are a little steep for just a small sandwich. The owner should compare his business to Swiftys since that would be his competition. Wouldn't go back there to eat, but would go back for a drink.
Sounds good, Res. Which nights do they have dancers???
Taxpayer

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Judged:

They have done a great restoration and serve an old style beer and sandwich type menu which is what Gerbers was. And, it certainly is in the downtown. I hope they are supported.
Its Me

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Judged:

Resident wrote:
True story... I stopped there with a friend when they first opened.

I told the bartender to run a tab, he said okay. After being there for about an hour, a couple walked in that I knew, I asked the bartender to give them a drink on me.

The bartender said he couldn't give them a drink until I paid my tab. I asked why, are you throwing me out? He said no, we don't take credit cards and when the bill reaches $50.00, you have to pay it to continue drinking. I found this to be very demeaning, however, I took out 3 twenty dollar bills and said close enough.

I said can I buy my friends a drink now, I laid 2 more twenty dollar bills on the bar. He gave them each a drink and one to me. He took both twenties and gave me $16.00 change. That was $24.00 for three drinks. I said , how the hell much is a drink here? Well, he said, the guy had a double Johnny Walker Black,$10.00, the lady had a martini,$8.00 and your drink should have been $8.00, but I only charged you $6.00. I was drinking vodka ( I didn't specify any particular brand), but he said he'd been pouring me the better brand.

By now I'd had it ..I threw him another ten, walked out and put the X on the joint. OH yeah' I didn't feel any air conditioning, they had a big old style fan blowing hot air.
fical

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Its Me wrote:
<quoted text>
True story... I stopped there with a friend when they first opened.
I told the bartender to run a tab, he said okay. After being there for about an hour, a couple walked in that I knew, I asked the bartender to give them a drink on me.
The bartender said he couldn't give them a drink until I paid my tab. I asked why, are you throwing me out? He said no, we don't take credit cards and when the bill reaches $50.00, you have to pay it to continue drinking. I found this to be very demeaning, however, I took out 3 twenty dollar bills and said close enough.
I said can I buy my friends a drink now, I laid 2 more twenty dollar bills on the bar. He gave them each a drink and one to me. He took both twenties and gave me $16.00 change. That was $24.00 for three drinks. I said , how the hell much is a drink here? Well, he said, the guy had a double Johnny Walker Black,$10.00, the lady had a martini,$8.00 and your drink should have been $8.00, but I only charged you $6.00. I was drinking vodka ( I didn't specify any particular brand), but he said he'd been pouring me the better brand.
By now I'd had it ..I threw him another ten, walked out and put the X on the joint. OH yeah' I didn't feel any air conditioning, they had a big old style fan blowing hot air.
oo fah.
Hungry

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

I went there the other day with some co-workers we work within walking distance. I really wanted to support this business and any place that opens downtown but honestly my experience was awful. To make a long story short the waitress apparently never put our order in, we finally told the owner after waiting for our food for 30 minutes (it can't take that long too make sandwiches). the owner blamed it on having a new cook. Personally, I think it was the fault of the waitress not keeping on top of this. There were only 2 other people in the place. Anyway we had to take our lunch to go, the owner gave us a line of bull about what happened & told us she would only charge us 1/2 price. We assumed our entire order would be 1/2 price but she charged us full price for our drinks (non-alcholic). If she really wanted to make it up to us she would have cut the entire bill in half like she lead us to believe she was doing. Furthermore, the sandwiches were skimpy nothing like the original place would have served. They were noted for their hardy sandwiches. I didn't leave a tip. Plus, it has that funky musty smell when you walk in, which really turned me off. All in all the experience was bad, the food was okay but nothing that would make me rush back. I wanted this place to work. I want to see downtown Utica thrive again so this was really disappointing for me. To top it off I as 15 minutes late getting back to work, I am an hourly worker, had to work overtime to make it up. So I lost all the way around!!! Grilled bologna with long hots & salad.(I got 1 piece of bologna with 1 long hot)on small pieces of italian bread grilled with salad $8.95.
Donald Trump

Sackets Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

fical wrote:
<quoted text> oo fah.
Good old Utica NY mentality. What do you think they should charge for a double Johnny Walker Black? Those prices seem in line with just about everywhere else in the city. I give the owners credit for even trying to establish a business in Utica. As for running a tab, I give them credit for asking for payment when the bill reaches $50.00...Too many people stiff the bar when they realize how much they drank..Especially people who think $8.00 to $10.00 is too much to pay!
Suzy

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Stopped in for dinner Saturday night. What an experience! The Shrimp Special was in fact very special! Wonderful hospitality, excellent service and delectable dinners. Extremely fair prices! Going to treat myself again very soon! Keep up the great job.
Zoey

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Suzy wrote:
Stopped in for dinner Saturday night. What an experience! The Shrimp Special was in fact very special! Wonderful hospitality, excellent service and delectable dinners. Extremely fair prices! Going to treat myself again very soon! Keep up the great job.
How much was it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Food Forum right now

Search the Food Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 39 min ann 7,899
MSU Gets Anonymous $1 Million Gift For Gay Center 1 hr Imprtnrd 39
Lehighton's Red Castle Brewpub to hold grand op... 2 hr DRUNKEN LOSERS REJOICE 1
Zoo Gets Fruit From Flipped Truck 2 hr Parden Pard 2
Owen Sound farmer fights the law against sellin... (Dec '06) 8 hr Search 2
Nestl &copy; Pure Life Exotics 10 hr sales 1
Lukin's Brick Oven Pizza & Lounge to Open on Va... (Oct '12) 18 hr Angie 30
•••
•••