Unilever sells pasta sauce brand Ragu...

Unilever sells pasta sauce brand Ragu to Japanese company for $2.15 billion

There are 19 comments on the The Drum story from May 22, 2014, titled Unilever sells pasta sauce brand Ragu to Japanese company for $2.15 billion. In it, The Drum reports that:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Drum.

usa

Owensboro, KY

#1 May 22, 2014
More foreign people taking over
joey

United States

#2 May 26, 2014
Its a capitalist country. A great way to make money but a terrible way to run a country.
whats the problem

Fishers, IN

#3 May 26, 2014
Japs take care of the american worker who wants to work. Good conditions and high pay. Need I remind you 45 min from here japs are paying 2000 employees $30/hr building cars...non union. Its USA mentality like yours that try to get rid of the mexicans who pick cotton and cut tobacco for 10 a hr cash....I dont know of a white or black man who would be half as productive for twice as much doing those jobs. I welcome these japs to ragu and hope more jobs at higher wages come with it
Not in Owensboro

Owensboro, KY

#4 May 26, 2014
I have worked for the Japanese here in town (TTMA) and let me tell you no one will be making $30 to do what they do at Unilever. At TTMA starting out you would make around $11 an hour and top out pay was only about $15 an hour. While that may be a lot to some people that will mean a drastic pay cut for current employees of Unilever. From what I am hearing the new company has agreed to not cut wages for 2 years but I guarantee that as soon at those 2 years are up there will be pay cuts. Also remember the Japanese are all about constant improvement, what this means is that what once took 3 people to do a job will now only take 2 and that spells more lay offs.
whats the problem

Owensboro, KY

#7 May 26, 2014
Just because they make a job easier for one person to do that used to take two doesnt necessarily mean they will lay off. It means they will get more production.
Not in Owensboro

Owensboro, KY

#8 May 26, 2014
whats the problem wrote:
Just because they make a job easier for one person to do that used to take two doesnt necessarily mean they will lay off. It means they will get more production.
Please explain how a job that used to take 2 people and then gets cut down to one would be "easier". I have worked for the Japanese and I can assure you they are not worries about making anything easier just more efficient. There thought process is why can't we cut the amount of man power needed to do this job so that we won't need as many associates. When they cut that extra person just what do you think they will have them do? I would make no sense for them to just have some extra employees doing nothing so they will lower the total number of workers needed each day meaning lay offs. Go read the book "The Toyota Way" and then maybe you will see what I am talking about. Until then trust the people that have lived it.
#gfy2

United States

#9 May 27, 2014
Goodbye 45 minute breaks
Change is Good

Owensboro, KY

#10 May 27, 2014
Unilever didnt give a damn about the Owensboro Plant or Ragu/Bertolli pasta sauce and hasnt supported it for several years. The existing management team rules by Dictatorship,has run the plant in the ground, killed morale, and thinks having double standards are acceptable. Most employees are excited about the change and welcome the new Ownership....and hopefully bye bye to some of the existing so called managers
idiot

Madisonville, KY

#11 May 27, 2014
Not in Owensboro wrote:
I have worked for the Japanese here in town (TTMA) and let me tell you no one will be making $30 to do what they do at Unilever. At TTMA starting out you would make around $11 an hour and top out pay was only about $15 an hour. While that may be a lot to some people that will mean a drastic pay cut for current employees of Unilever. From what I am hearing the new company has agreed to not cut wages for 2 years but I guarantee that as soon at those 2 years are up there will be pay cuts. Also remember the Japanese are all about constant improvement, what this means is that what once took 3 people to do a job will now only take 2 and that spells more lay offs.
Because you people at TTMA couldn't pour piss out if a boot with direction arrows on it.
Fail

Owensboro, KY

#12 May 27, 2014
idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you people at TTMA couldn't pour piss out if a boot with direction arrows on it.
Sounds like someone is butt hurt. Sorry you are getting laid off haha
funny

United States

#13 May 27, 2014
Poor miss piggy wats the fugly thing gonna do with just a GED when she ain't got no job mayb go back 2 makin slaw ?????? LMFAO
san

Owensboro, KY

#14 May 27, 2014
funny wrote:
Poor miss piggy wats the fugly thing gonna do with just a GED when she ain't got no job mayb go back 2 makin slaw ?????? LMFAO
Kermit will take care of her
coworker

United States

#15 May 27, 2014
The one she thinks is her man sure as hell ain't gonna to ! He ain't got a pot to piss in and window to throw it out of hell he cheats on her all the time and she knows he ain't happy n in love with her - he uses her n everybody at work knows it. Look at him he aint happy at all dumbass wants to mouth bout where is he now. Ha his using u miss piggy n cheatin we see it
funny

United States

#16 May 27, 2014
san wrote:
<quoted text>
Kermit will take care of her
She'll brianwash another man and break another marriage up. That's what home wrecking [email protected]$ do
idiot

United States

#17 May 27, 2014
Fail wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like someone is butt hurt. Sorry you are getting laid off haha
Actually I retired from there with a huge pension dipshit. Now shut your mouth and look at the direction arrows and pay attention idiot. Just enjoy seeing dumb asses get on here running their mouth about shit they know nothing about. Anyway! Carry on with your $11 an hour making ass. Mr. butt hurt
I agree

Owensboro, KY

#19 May 28, 2014
idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I retired from there with a huge pension dipshit. Now shut your mouth and look at the direction arrows and pay attention idiot. Just enjoy seeing dumb asses get on here running their mouth about shit they know nothing about. Anyway! Carry on with your $11 an hour making ass. Mr. butt hurt
I agree you do sound hurt and I doubt you got a pension from unilever lol crazy people
culture

United States

#21 May 29, 2014
Employees will be pushing to eliminate all existing management
trouble77

Owensboro, KY

#22 Oct 21, 2015
rumor has it cuts are coming around the 2 year mark
Truth

Owensboro, KY

#23 Oct 21, 2015
Those jobs used to be in Detroit. And American companies, for better or worse, kept the profit. Now the profits go to Japan
whats the problem wrote:
Japs take care of the american worker who wants to work. Good conditions and high pay. Need I remind you 45 min from here japs are paying 2000 employees $30/hr building cars...non union. Its USA mentality like yours that try to get rid of the mexicans who pick cotton and cut tobacco for 10 a hr cash....I dont know of a white or black man who would be half as productive for twice as much doing those jobs. I welcome these japs to ragu and hope more jobs at higher wages come with it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local butcher shops appealing to customers (Jul '09) 10 hr Pastor Don 5
News Over 2,000 pounds of crawfish being delivered t... 20 hr Will Dockery 68
News No Joke: Unconscious man rode on car's trunk fo... 23 hr 07 Mustang 5
News Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) Thu ava123 9,251
News Amazing Sweet Spot offers a fair take on desser... Wed Tumbleweeds 2
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... Wed silly rabbit 11
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) May 23 Find phartse 225
More from around the web