Will fast-food protests spur higher m...

Will fast-food protests spur higher minimum wage?

There are 711 comments on the Northern Michigan News story from Aug 5, 2013, titled Will fast-food protests spur higher minimum wage?. In it, Northern Michigan News reports that:

Terrance Wise has two jobs in Kansas City - one at a burger joint, a second at a pizza restaurant - but he says his paychecks aren't enough to buy shoes for his three daughters and insure his 15-year-old car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Northern Michigan News.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#221 Aug 9, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You are speaking about a brand of Republicanism that will never return. Today's Republican party has subsumed the worst of the old racist Democrats and Dixiecrats. There was a reason why MLK was a Republican. If you are waiting for the return of a socially conscious Republican party, I hope you have a comfy chair.
Eventually though I do still think the big money conservatives will dump the current racist/sexist/homophobic faction which dominates the Republican party. Or the GOP goes the way of the Whigs.

Either way, it looks like I'll be voting for the Dems for the foreseeable future.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#222 Aug 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually though I do still think the big money conservatives will dump the current racist/sexist/homophobic faction which dominates the Republican party. Or the GOP goes the way of the Whigs.
Either way, it looks like I'll be voting for the Dems for the foreseeable future.
Wise choice.

Since: Aug 13

Recklinghausen, Germany

#224 Aug 15, 2013
This won't succeed, but still, I can understand the frustration when the American pizza delivery industry makes 170 billion dollars per year and the the employees are getting such a poor wage, according to statistics: http://www.statista.com/topics/1610/pizza-del...

But I guess it has to be expected when you work in this sector.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#225 Aug 15, 2013
What sector is that? The Pizza sector, the fast food sector, or mafia owned and controlled businesses sector? I stopped eating Pizza a long time ago when I couldn't justify $8 for some bread dough and tomato sauce with cheese. I've never missed it.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
bill_white1972 wrote:
This won't succeed, but still, I can understand the frustration when the American pizza delivery industry makes 170 billion dollars per year and the the employees are getting such a poor wage, according to statistics: http://www.statista.com/topics/1610/pizza-del...
But I guess it has to be expected when you work in this sector.
Beverlee Tinkham

Crownsville, MD

#229 Sep 2, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/kpcmdko
Storm Warning

Fall River, WI

#230 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the problem. The majority of middle-income jobs are gone and have been replaced with low-income service sector jobs. The people taking fast-food and retail jobs are in many cases the family breadwinner. And it's difficult to raise a family on a poverty wage. Also keep in mind a growing percentage of service sector workers are college educated and have loans to repay.
In the end because of mounting political pressure, a more educated workforce and the industry's desire to keep unions out, I predict we will see a compromise raising the federal minimum wage to $10 / hour.
To obtain a living wage, unions and other pro-worker advocates will have to engage in a serious ongoing campaign to change the business model of fast-food and retail establishments, which are built on low wages, low prices. The Making Change at Wal-Mart campaign and fast-food worker movement are nice starts and have generated ample media coverage. But the campaigns have to engage the public at-large and explain the consequences of cheap products. But the argument could become easier as more people take fast-food and retail jobs.
THE uNIONS ? lET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE USELESS UNIONS, FILLED WITH BALL LESS Political pond suckers, since when have they done anyrthing about the theft of everyones pension ? to busy licking Obamas jack boots
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#231 Sep 9, 2013
Storm Warning wrote:
<quoted text>THE uNIONS ? lET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE USELESS UNIONS, FILLED WITH BALL LESS Political pond suckers, since when have they done anyrthing about the theft of everyones pension ? to busy licking Obamas jack boots
Don't blame unions for pensions going by the wayside. Blame greedy corporations for dumping defined-pensions in favor of risky 401(k)'s. You should be angry at corporations for allowing your retirement savings to be gambled on Wall Street. It's casino capitalism, where the 1% always wins and 99% always lose.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#232 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't blame unions for pensions going by the wayside. Blame greedy corporations for dumping defined-pensions in favor of risky 401(k)'s. You should be angry at corporations for allowing your retirement savings to be gambled on Wall Street. It's casino capitalism, where the 1% always wins and 99% always lose.
Still leading the charge with your hand out.

Most Americans are angry at the growing population of unskilled, uneducated cry babies, demanding that which they have not earned, yet believe that they are entitled.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#233 Sep 9, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>Still leading the charge with your hand out.

Most Americans are angry at the growing population of unskilled, uneducated cry babies, demanding that which they have not earned, yet believe that they are entitled.
I see you're still a hater.

Most American are sick of greedy corporate executives and shareholders. People who think their entitled to obscene wealth while the many suffer and try to stay afloat.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#234 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't blame unions for pensions going by the wayside. Blame greedy corporations for dumping defined-pensions in favor of risky 401(k)'s. You should be angry at corporations for allowing your retirement savings to be gambled on Wall Street. It's casino capitalism, where the 1% always wins and 99% always lose.
why do you feel corporations should take care of your retirement saving for you? do you wish them to wipe for you also?
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#235 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you're still a hater.
Most American are sick of greedy corporate executives and shareholders. People who think their entitled to obscene wealth while the many suffer and try to stay afloat.
You sound pretty angry at those corporate executives.

If only you were as smart as them and could BECOME a corporate executive, you could GIVE YOUR WEALTH to the suffering masses.

But you are NOT and you can't. All you can do is complain, along with the rest of the other losers.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#236 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you're still a hater.
Most American are sick of greedy corporate executives and shareholders. People who think their entitled to obscene wealth while the many suffer and try to stay afloat.
You are correct ... I hate the petty pathetic losers in this country such as yourself. Too lazy to attempt to improve your situation and would rather complain in the hopes that someone else will change it for you.

But please by all means tell us how productive and motivated you are while you are posting on the internet begging for money that you are too lazy to earn on your own.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#237 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why do you feel corporations should take care of your retirement saving for you? do you wish them to wipe for you also?
Because it's part of the social contract. A defined-pension recognizes the longevity and loyalty you expressed toward a company or government agency. In addition to Social Security it allows to maintain your lifestyle and live comfortably.

I can't understand why a defined-pension system would ever be up for debate. It's standard procedure in every Western European Democracy. My father receives a defined-pension after years of working for state government. The next generation should have the same benefits.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#238 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it's part of the social contract. A defined-pension recognizes the longevity and loyalty you expressed toward a company or government agency. In addition to Social Security it allows to maintain your lifestyle and live comfortably.
I can't understand why a defined-pension system would ever be up for debate. It's standard procedure in every Western European Democracy. My father receives a defined-pension after years of working for state government. The next generation should have the same benefits.
yet most people will not work for one company their whole life anymore. the world has changed.

look at what those gov't pensions have done to so many city and state budgets and economies.

why wouldn't it be better for each individual to pay for their own retirement savings? would you have your company pay your house payments for you? your electric bill? why stop at retirement? perhaps they could pick up your grocery bill for you while they are at it...
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#239 Sep 9, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct ... I hate the petty pathetic losers in this country such as yourself. Too lazy to attempt to improve your situation and would rather complain in the hopes that someone else will change it for you.

But please by all means tell us how productive and motivated you are while you are posting on the internet begging for money that you are too lazy to earn on your own.
Do your fellow Americans a favor and jump off a bridge.

As for improving our quality of life... Everyday I read about workers organizing and lobbying elected officials about wages, poverty, protecting Social Security. Organizing is hard work. Have you ever tried it?
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#240 Sep 9, 2013
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>You sound pretty angry at those corporate executives.

If only you were as smart as them and could BECOME a corporate executive, you could GIVE YOUR WEALTH to the suffering masses.

But you are NOT and you can't. All you can do is complain, along with the rest of the other losers.
Chances are I'm just as knowledgeable as any Fortune 500 executive.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#241 Sep 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet most people will not work for one company their whole life anymore. the world has changed.

look at what those gov't pensions have done to so many city and state budgets and economies.

why wouldn't it be better for each individual to pay for their own retirement savings? would you have your company pay your house payments for you? your electric bill? why stop at retirement? perhaps they could pick up your grocery bill for you while they are at it...
The economy has changed but corporations are making more profits than ever. They can afford a defined- pension plan.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#242 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Do your fellow Americans a favor and jump off a bridge.
As for improving our quality of life... Everyday I read about workers organizing and lobbying elected officials about wages, poverty, protecting Social Security. Organizing is hard work. Have you ever tried it?
Why would I do that Joe? I'm actually productive, successful and not a drain on my fellow taxpayers. You obviously cannot say the same, so maybe it is you that should be looking for that bridge. Give your relative critical thinking skills though you may not have any better luck finding the bridge than you are at finding a job.

I don't have time for organizing Joe .. I work for a living so that my tax dollars can support the flotsam and jetsam in this country like yourself.

You are welcome. But we also know you are ungrateful.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#243 Sep 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The economy has changed but corporations are making more profits than ever. They can afford a defined- pension plan.
Joe with his hand out crying .... but you can afford to carry my dead weight. WAAAAAAAAA
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#244 Sep 9, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>Why would I do that Joe? I'm actually productive, successful and not a drain on my fellow taxpayers. You obviously cannot say the same, so maybe it is you that should be looking for that bridge. Give your relative critical thinking skills though you may not have any better luck finding the bridge than you are at finding a job.

I don't have time for organizing Joe .. I work for a living so that my tax dollars can support the flotsam and jetsam in this country like yourself.

You are welcome. But we also know you are ungrateful.
"Productive" and "successful"???? Now that's a subjective opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 4 hr Fart news 708
News From ice cream to condos and townhouses, develo... 6 hr Tampa B 9
News Experience the best of Sydney 9 hr duck goose 1
News Pearl Cafe: Asian Cuisine That Continually Cran... 14 hr Poo Tacos 1
News The Forks: 9 marvellous things for this long we... Aug 1 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
News Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) Aug 1 Hinakhan 9,022
News Dining Detour: Restaurants near Nassau Coliseum (Jan '09) Jul 31 Joan 12
More from around the web