Parents Protest Yoga Being Taught in Public Schools

Jan 20, 2013 Full story: Inhabitat

Yoga is practiced all over the world because of the health benefits it provides, but can yoga be divorced from its Hindu roots? That's the question that parents began asking in Encinitas, California when they learned that their children were practicing Ashtanga yoga at school as part of a comprehensive fitness program.

Full Story
You gotta be kidding

Encinitas, CA

#1 Jan 20, 2013
Get a life.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#2 May 10, 2013
yes,

Yoga initially for kids and yoga program should be organized into schools. These programs improve their confidence.

Since: Apr 13

Cebu City, Philippines

#3 May 12, 2013
A healthy lifestyle taught early on is bound to stick to you. So I guess kids nowadays are lucky to have yoga integrated into school.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 May 25, 2013
If it's physical yoga, absolutely no problem. It can be totally divorced from its Hindu origins. But if we are speaking of meditation yoga, I agree with the protesting parents.

All my life I have felt a bitter hate toward Jehovah Witnesses or evangelical Christians trying to force their version of Christianity on me. Now I see a rare case where it is Christians who might possibly be having my heritage slipped like a mickey to their kids. If this is indeed going on, wait a second!

My neighbor's religion is like my neighbor's wife. I will treat her with respect, but will never flirt or get into bed with her. I vehemently will not tolerate anything explicitly promoting Christianity into my house. I have to give others the same respect I demand for my own privacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yoga and its wonderful effects on body Thu Humhainna 3
Ban yoga pants from schools Thu mintarttist 2
Can exercise improve back pain (Aug '13) Thu mintarttist 45
Amanda Seyfried Eats Whatever The Hell She Want... Dec 17 Richboy97 1
Wish List: 19 Awesome Gifts Under $50, From Bac... Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
5 Religions You've Probably Never Heard Of (Sep '09) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 128
14 Things You Need to Know to Talk About Transc... Oct '14 Hello 5
More from around the web