Dharma Punx' Punk Rock Buddhism

Dharma Punx' Punk Rock Buddhism

There are 28 comments on the Greenpoint Gazette story from Aug 11, 2011, titled Dharma Punx' Punk Rock Buddhism. In it, Greenpoint Gazette reports that:

Every Monday night, an eclectic group congregates at Kusala Yoga to meditate and quietly reflect on their minds' wonders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenpoint Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#1 Aug 13, 2011
Sri Lankan court orders arrest of chief incumbent in Mihinthalaya Temple

Aug 13, Anuradhapura: A Sri Lankan court has ordered the arrest of the chief incumbent of the Mihinthalaya Rajamaha Vihara in Anuradhapura for allegedly molesting a teenaged girl sexually.

Anuradhapura Chief Magistrate and Additional District Judge Darshika Wimalasiri had ordered the arrest of the monk after the Mihinthalaya Police had informed courts of a complaint received on the repeated sexual molestation of a 13-year-old girl by the chief incumbent.

The judge had ordered the monk to be arrested and presented before the court immediately.

The judge had also ordered to conduct a medical examination on the victim and the report submitted to court.

The victim has been directed to be kept under probation care.

The Mihinthalaya Police has meanwhile told the local media that the monk is suspected to have fled the area.

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_11A/Aug13_...

=========

Only high Self-Esteem and High Thoughtful 'people' join with their 'own self willingness' into the Monkhood to give a Good Service to the Humanity.

“Sabbe satta sukhi hontu”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 14, 2011
Rohan, I don't know how many times I have said that taking up the robe s is no gauruntee of enlightenment or Nibbana. Yes, there are those that unfortunately abuse the status of ordaination for their own selfish ends. Monks and nuns are still people, after all.

I am glad that the judge has ordered the arrest of this "monk". It's obviously a crimminal act and against the Vinaya. However, you have inadvertently showed something positive that the Sri Lankan government has done. Judging by your previous posts, one could easily assume that this was definitely not your intention. I do not agree with the nationalistic hegemony and crimes against humanity often perpetuated by the Sri Lankan government, but you have actually shown us something that they have done which is commendable. This so-called "monk" deserves to be held accountable for his atrocious crime.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I love the Dhamma Punx. Having a background in the punk rock scene myself, I actually considered myself a "Dhamma punk" long before I even heard of Noah Levine. So I can definitely relate to their approach.

Punk rockers have a history of standing up against percieved injustices as well. From the nuclear disarmament movements of the 80's to the more recent anti-war and anti-globalization demonstrations - not to mention their inherent distrust of authority figures, Buddhist punks could certainly keep those who abuse power and status (especially so-called "monks") on their toes. Up the Dhamma Punx!
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#3 Aug 14, 2011
Yeh! Sri Lankans are good for making such an arrest! Unlike Tamils who did nothing for the poor Sri Lankans they macheted while they were asleep.

Buddhist Sinhalese are good, definitely better than the Tamils.

Rohan do you defend the Tamil Tigers and the evil they have done, and the evil Tamils like you continue to do?

Why don't Tamils try to be decent human beings first themselves before criticizing others?
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#4 Aug 14, 2011
Dhammachari wrote:
Rohan, I don't know how many times I have said that taking up the robe s is no gauruntee of enlightenment or Nibbana. Yes, there are those that unfortunately abuse the status of ordaination for their own selfish ends. Monks and nuns are still people, after all.
I am glad that the judge has ordered the arrest of this "monk". It's obviously a crimminal act and against the Vinaya. However, you have inadvertently showed something positive that the Sri Lankan government has done. Judging by your previous posts, one could easily assume that this was definitely not your intention. I do not agree with the nationalistic hegemony and crimes against humanity often perpetuated by the Sri Lankan government, but you have actually shown us something that they have done which is commendable. This so-called "monk" deserves to be held accountable for his atrocious crime.
Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I love the Dhamma Punx. Having a background in the punk rock scene myself, I actually considered myself a "Dhamma punk" long before I even heard of Noah Levine. So I can definitely relate to their approach.
Punk rockers have a history of standing up against percieved injustices as well. From the nuclear disarmament movements of the 80's to the more recent anti-war and anti-globalization demonstrations - not to mention their inherent distrust of authority figures, Buddhist punks could certainly keep those who abuse power and status (especially so-called "monks") on their toes. Up the Dhamma Punx!
The Dharma Punx guys seem really good and open minded. People really needed to destroy incorrect teachings and challenge the establishment to establish true Dharma.

True Buddhism is rebellion. Rebellion against evil ,stupidity and posers. It runs against the current of the world.

Location hidden

#5 Aug 16, 2011
What is often perceived as "the establishment" is just the collective bias of a few. Unfortunately, a lot of people often resign themselves to established viewpoints because its "just the way it is". Buddha encouraged proper investigation and discernment so that one could determine what is truly beneficial for oneself and others. Do not simply rely on blind faith, but test things out and figure them out for yourself. That is the only way anyone could truly know the Dhamma for themselves. If that's considered rebellious, its only because the status quo stifles any kind of proper investigation and discernment.

We can only honestly know if something is true through our own experiences - by putting it to the test. Buddhism encourages us to do just that. Faith or even practice alone can only sustain us so far. We must also learn to rely on our own experiences and determination. The path is arduous, and we can only tread it with proper determination and effort.

I took refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha for the same reason I considered myself a punk while growing up. One simple, yet pround, word: liberation. Seeking the truth, and not being satisfied by what is perceived as the status quo or conventional. Knowing that there is more.
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#6 Aug 16, 2011
The wonderful thing is that Buddha was a genius who used religion speak to establish training of the mind.

People generally take refuge in some wrong idea of God, Buddhists take refuge in Buddha, some Buddhists ignorantly think like the theists, but it's true reason is for grounding and surge protection...

His total awesomeness has no bounds! The more you understand Buddha's techniques, the more you love Buddha-- priti becomes easy!

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#7 Aug 17, 2011
Then, your age will be 86, with no marriage, no wife, no sx, good for nothing. Also, you will be glorified in Heaven. For what?

Live at Present! Future will be yours.
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#8 Aug 17, 2011
RohanX wrote:
Then, your age will be 86, with no marriage, no wife, no sx, good for nothing. Also, you will be glorified in Heaven. For what?
Live at Present! Future will be yours.
Everyone in the poorest areas such as subsaharan Africa, India, China thinks like you... due to the poverty of their minds---6 billion people think your way...that makes it hardly anything special.

Nirvana is way better, and only the rare few experience this bliss!

Location hidden

#9 Aug 17, 2011
LoL. Not all Buddhists are monks or nuns. Even those ordained in some schools of Buddhism, such as in Zen or Tibetan schools, are not celibate and can marry. Also, lay practitioners can realize enlightenment. There's plenty of examples of this given in the Suttas.

Despite your skewered view of Buddhism, who are you to declare who is good for nothing? Are those who are naturally asexual and celibate, without having been ordained, also "good for nothing"? That's pretty condescending.

Who is really living in the present? Those who give in to their sexual urges? Those who force themselves upon others (i.e. rape) due to such urges? Or those who live mindfully in every moment, keeping their senses guarded?

What use is glorification - in heaven or elsewhere? That will only be a distraction which leads to clinging to a false sense of pride and ego. I don't practice to earn brownie points with some diety or angelic beings. I practice for the benefit of myself and others - here and now in the present.

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#10 Aug 18, 2011
Dhammachari wrote:
LoL. Not all Buddhists are monks or nuns. Even those ordained in some schools of Buddhism, such as in Zen or Tibetan schools, are not celibate and can marry. Also, lay practitioners can realize enlightenment. There's plenty of examples of this given in the Suttas.
Despite your skewered view of Buddhism, who are you to declare who is good for nothing? Are those who are naturally asexual and celibate, without having been ordained, also "good for nothing"? That's pretty condescending.
Who is really living in the present? Those who give in to their sexual urges? Those who force themselves upon others (i.e. rape) due to such urges? Or those who live mindfully in every moment, keeping their senses guarded?
What use is glorification - in heaven or elsewhere? That will only be a distraction which leads to clinging to a false sense of pride and ego. I don't practice to earn brownie points with some diety or angelic beings. I practice for the benefit of myself and others - here and now in the present.
When your meditation finishes, it is good for you and the world to open your eyes and see the REAL WORLD.
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#11 Aug 18, 2011
Buddhists see the real world, you don't.

Location hidden

#12 Aug 18, 2011
After meditation, I don't just simply open my eyes and see the "real world". I become more mindfully engaged with it with a full awareness of the present moment - that is, an awareness of thoughts, motivations, and actions.

It was the harsh realities of this world which helped deepen my practice and understanding of Buddha's teachings. We can post all of the articles we want about those who abuse their status as monks or nuns - and I will agree that there should be justice. No doubt about it. However, my primary focus is always on my own practice and cultivation. I could spend hours with you pointing fingers and finding faults with others. In fact, I've probably done so here and in other threads. Yet, that time would be better spent finding our own faults and working on them.

There are those who manipulate and abuse anything and everything they can for their own selfish reasons. Buddhism certainly isn't excluded in that - nor is any teaching or discipline. It just isn't right, and there should be justice. On that we can agree. Yet, its always easier to find fault with and blame others. It's not quite as easy to direct that same criticism towards ourselves. This is where meditative practice can be most beneficial - in cultivating ourselves.

When it comes to meditative cultivation, I tend to agree with Mohandas Gandhi when he said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#13 Aug 21, 2011
Lanka arrests monk over child-sex charge
Font size:
Agence France-Presse . Colombo

The Sri Lankan police on Saturday arrested a top Buddhist monk on a charge of having sex with a 12-year-old girl in violation of strict child protection laws, the police said.

The 60-year-old monk was accused of abusing the child over a period of one year at his temple in the north-central district of Anuradhapura, the police said.

Several Buddhist monks have been convicted of abusing children, but Saturday’s arrest is the most high profile case in the conservative Buddhist nation where sex offenders can be jailed for up to 15 years.
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#14 Aug 21, 2011
Good for them! Good to see Sri Lankan Buddhists don't tolerate evil men in the guise of monks!

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#15 Aug 21, 2011
That evil monk is 60 years old.

Can you imagine, during this time how many 'millions' of women might have raped by him.

He is just one (in the tip of the iceburg).

I can say, most of the Monks(religious Monks including Catholics) do rape the innocent girls and boys who come to their Churches or Temples.

In those days,the victims suffer in Silence; nowadays they do stand up for those Evils who betray the TRUST on the name of Religions.

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#16 Aug 21, 2011
Several Buddhist monks have been convicted of abusing children, but Saturday’s arrest is the most high profile case in the conservative Buddhist nation where sex offenders can be jailed for up to 15 years.
Hello

South Ozone Park, NY

#17 Aug 21, 2011
Don't make stories up. You better not accuse innocent monks and nuns.

monkey minds like yours are the cause of evil and Buddhists have to destroy this evil.

Buddhist monastics don't have rulership of a country, unlike Catholics, and accusing a Buddhist monk would be much easier since there is no group, Pope which is powerful enough to protect them.

Buddhist monks who stand accused of sexual misconduct are being prosecuted, it is breaking of a precept, and therefore they should be disrobed. Every right minded Buddhist is for it.

You have no religion, but you are evil-- making baseless accusations.

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#18 Aug 22, 2011
Hello wrote:
Don't make stories up. You better not accuse innocent monks and nuns.
monkey minds like yours are the cause of evil and Buddhists have to destroy this evil.
Buddhist monastics don't have rulership of a country, unlike Catholics, and accusing a Buddhist monk would be much easier since there is no group, Pope which is powerful enough to protect them.
Buddhist monks who stand accused of sexual misconduct are being prosecuted, it is breaking of a precept, and therefore they should be disrobed. Every right minded Buddhist is for it.
You have no religion, but you are evil-- making baseless accusations.
Just read the news. You will be enlightened!!

Location hidden

#19 Aug 22, 2011
Hello has a very valid point. You are trying to discredit Buddhism in general by posting article about those who have abused their status of ordination. Buddha taught that such people are not upholding their precepts, and should be disrobed. Buddhists are all for stripping them of their ordination and persecuting them for their crimes.

What you dont seem to realize is that what you are posting actually shows something positive that the Sri Lankan government is doing, by going after these "bad monks" and holding them accountabe their atrocious crimes. Those who follow the teachings of Buddha should be relieved that these "bad monks" are being rooted out.

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Location hidden

#20 Aug 23, 2011
Dhammachari wrote:
Hello has a very valid point. You are trying to discredit Buddhism in general by posting article about those who have abused their status of ordination. Buddha taught that such people are not upholding their precepts, and should be disrobed. Buddhists are all for stripping them of their ordination and persecuting them for their crimes.
What you dont seem to realize is that what you are posting actually shows something positive that the Sri Lankan government is doing, by going after these "bad monks" and holding them accountabe their atrocious crimes. Those who follow the teachings of Buddha should be relieved that these "bad monks" are being rooted out.
That monk is 60 years old. Even that monk joined the monkhood at his age of 5, nearly 55 years of sufferings for that monk and the people around HIM.

Why should we robe the Fox, Wolf etc, and expect them to behave like Cow?

Because of that Monk Recruitment System, we all end up with Sad Stories. That System must be changed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New mission: Alternative medicine May 27 Three Rounds 1
News Range of alternative medicine options considere... May 27 Three Rounds 1
News Parks director brings laughter yoga to Fairbanks Apr '16 Jane Ann 1
News She packs a lot into daily session of home exer... (Feb '10) Apr '16 Linda 5
News Best Yoga Studio | Columbus Alive (Mar '10) Mar '16 Long Arm 34
News Christian Parents Freak Out Over Yoga Lessons A... Mar '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Pittsfield schools pilot yoga, 'brain breaks' a... Mar '16 the city I hate 1
More from around the web