Is Hair Still Stopping Black Women from Working Out?

Mar 6, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Essence Magazine

I was once the girl that didn't exercise because of her hair. Several years ago, I would use the excuse of work or a hot date for why I couldn't sweat out a freshly pressed hairstyle.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of48
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
medusa

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Black folks need to accept themselves and their beautiful characteristics. Of all the races in the world, peoples of African decendant have pretty skin and hair so why are they so "I don't like my hair" ? I believe self hatred was brought down through slavery. Negative comments are to make them feel inferior and it shouldn't.

So Black folks be proud and love what heaven has given to you.
bigtool

Bridgehampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 8, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

2

medusa wrote:
Black folks need to accept themselves and their beautiful characteristics. Of all the races in the world, peoples of African decendant have pretty skin and hair so why are they so "I don't like my hair" ? I believe self hatred was brought down through slavery. Negative comments are to make them feel inferior and it shouldn't.
So Black folks be proud and love what heaven has given to you.
its given you a hunger for fried chicken,watermellon and kool-aid
Coach Gen Ital

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 12, 2012
 
You better ease up of that weave Bonesha. Oh uu uuuu no he didnn listen up I goin ta weave a basket hanging right off my huge melon head and you cant stop me uuhhuuu! You go girl tell him girl. Ok your fired for disrupting my office. UUUUUU Oh Ohh
Person

Homestead, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

medusa wrote:
Black folks need to accept themselves and their beautiful characteristics. Of all the races in the world, peoples of African decendant have pretty skin and hair so why are they so "I don't like my hair" ? I believe self hatred was brought down through slavery. Negative comments are to make them feel inferior and it shouldn't.
So Black folks be proud and love what heaven has given to you.
Just combing it should be workout enough lol.

"Of all the races in the world, peoples of African descendant have pretty skin and hair"

Of all the people in the world? Seriously! lol

First of all you can scratch "hair" right out of that statement. Of all the different hair types in this "world", black hair is the worst and that's a fact jack.

Skin color can be debated, but I would vote for an olive tone, and I think most would agree.
Dumb

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 15, 2012
 
Person wrote:
<quoted text>
Just combing it should be workout enough lol.
"Of all the races in the world, peoples of African descendant have pretty skin and hair"
Of all the people in the world? Seriously! lol
First of all you can scratch "hair" right out of that statement. Of all the different hair types in this "world", black hair is the worst and that's a fact jack.
Skin color can be debated, but I would vote for an olive tone, and I think most would agree.
Are you kidding? I'm a blk female with mixed roots of African American, Native American, Middle Eastern, & Spaniard. I have a beautiful caramel skin complexion. It looks like I have an all year around tan and I do get a little lighter in the winter of course. I have natural curly hair that I always get complemented on. Its very easy to comb and water makes my hair curl right up. I just wash it in the morning, add gel and go...simple as that. It was to my back and I cut it recently to grow it back fresh. Yes, our hair grows. This is my second time cutting it down to 3 inches. It will be back at the blink of an eye, longer and curly as ever. Even with my hair short, men of every race hits on me daily. You should get out more :)
Dumb

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 15, 2012
 
Person wrote:
<quoted text>
Just combing it should be workout enough lol.
"Of all the races in the world, peoples of African descendant have pretty skin and hair"
Of all the people in the world? Seriously! lol
First of all you can scratch "hair" right out of that statement. Of all the different hair types in this "world", black hair is the worst and that's a fact jack.
Skin color can be debated, but I would vote for an olive tone, and I think most would agree.
One other thing, my boyfriend is white and he loves everything about me...from head to toe. He esp loves my curly hair~!
Person

Homestead, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Well you are a hybrid. Straight up black hair is rough like the streets of Kingston Jamaica; where do you think the first brillo pads came from? And it takes allot of work to get black hair looking and feeling nice.

The way you described your skin almost makes me change my mind about olive tone, but it's a close call.
Dumb

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Person wrote:
Well you are a hybrid. Straight up black hair is rough like the streets of Kingston Jamaica; where do you think the first brillo pads came from? And it takes allot of work to get black hair looking and feeling nice.
The way you described your skin almost makes me change my mind about olive tone, but it's a close call.
I still consider myself black. I know a few blks where I am from originally (The South) who has the same features as me. I don't see many here in NYC but more so in the South. The reason being there was more mixing with the Native Americans & whites in the South. A lot of women in my family were born with naturally straight or wavy hair. A lot of blks are mixed and you will find many of them who come with hair like mine or skin complexion like mine. My sister came out with green eyes and me with light brown. Not all black people have brillo nappy hair. Yes, some do but not all. Not all come as black as midnight either.
Person

Homestead, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Dumb wrote:
<quoted text>
One other thing, my boyfriend is white and he loves everything about me...from head to toe. He esp loves my curly hair~!
Did you write that your hair was only 3 inches long? I don't even think that's considered hair! lol, they should have another word. I don't know if that's even long enough to tie a weave to it lol. I have seen cats with longer hair. You shouldn't write again about that hair until it grows at least to the top of your neck.
Dumb

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 15, 2012
 
Person wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you write that your hair was only 3 inches long? I don't even think that's considered hair! lol, they should have another word. I don't know if that's even long enough to tie a weave to it lol. I have seen cats with longer hair. You shouldn't write again about that hair until it grows at least to the top of your neck.
Yes, I wrote that about my hair and its by choice. I cut my hair off for the New Year and its already growing back. I can write about it no matter how long it is because I still get compliments on it. I still get compliments on being beautiful. I would never tie a weave in my beautiful hair. Why would I when my hair grows naturally long? It was long before I cut it. I cut it in 2008 this short and it was to the middle of my back before I cut it, then it grew back out to the same length so why would I even consider putting weave in my hair? I'd never. Its beautiful the way it is. I was just complimented on it a little while ago while I was at lunch by a stranger on the street.
Yes-Isaidit

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 16, 2012
 
Dumb wrote:
<quoted text>
I still consider myself black. I know a few blks where I am from originally (The South) who has the same features as me. I don't see many here in NYC but more so in the South. The reason being there was more mixing with the Native Americans & whites in the South. A lot of women in my family were born with naturally straight or wavy hair. A lot of blks are mixed and you will find many of them who come with hair like mine or skin complexion like mine. My sister came out with green eyes and me with light brown. Not all black people have brillo nappy hair. Yes, some do but not all. Not all come as black as midnight either.
I too have features like yours. Most American blacks are mixed with slave,slave master,and native American genes so our hair isn't like True African Hair. My curls are coils that my husband loves to pull out and let bounce back when we are chilaxin. The comment was mean but true. We are hybrids. I'm black, Native American and Irish and yes I consider myself black just like Halley and Beyonce and even Moriah. That's the way we were raised. No matter the mix we were black....with good hair. In the city, I am always asked am I hispanic;dominican or brazillian. They go all down the list of countries with a lot of hybrid people. When I was single, dated all races of men. My husband is Hispanic but is often mistaken for Itallian or PR when they hear him speak spanish. He doesn't like to be described as white but if you would call Rosanna Scotto on fox 5 new white then so is my husband. I don't like racism or cruelty but I can't deny the fact that the man has a valid point.
bigtool

Bridgehampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 16, 2012
 
if you are black you are african,stop with the other stuff. black people are from the continent of africa period.
Yes-Isaidit

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

bigtool wrote:
if you are black you are african,stop with the other stuff. black people are from the continent of africa period.
Most of the world is made of people of color. Have you seen the people of India. Some are darker and more ashen than many AAs. The hair texture is the difference. Adding other races with the African slaves changed the hair texture for some of us.This happened everywhere African slaves were taken not just in the USA. Yes, Africa is the contanent of black people;including Egypt before the Arab and others invasion AD. We never denied African roots but why is it that some people always want us to deny any other. You think Halley needs you to tell her anything about her races? You are just trying to be a jerk as is evident by your Kool-aid/watermelon comment. So not only are you a Bigtool but a BigFool as well.
Yes-Isaidit

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Africa is the Continent of black people

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

People really? America is made up of many different cultures. There is not one "pure" race in our country. Blacks do not belong in Africa if they have been born and raised in this country. This is their home, just as it is mine.

“Southern Belles pure and sweet”

Since: Jun 11

keep their cool in summer heat

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Aren't we all hybrids here in America? I am a blue-eyed blonde with fair skin, and have French, Irish, English, and Native American heritage. I also have baby-fine, straight-as-a-board hair that has always been a challenge.

If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me, but just as there were many different Native American tribes, weren't there also different African tribes? The American Indians were a varied people, with unique characteristics to each tribe. Compare the Choctaw with the Chickasaw! The native tribes of Africa differed from one another, having their unique characteristics too.

I worked with a lovely black woman years ago. She was as black as coal! Deep, dark, shiny black. And she had the most delicate features....a tiny nose and lips.

There is so much variety in the human race! I think that makes us all beautiful.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Yes, Dickens, I agree. Our differences are what makes us unique and beautiful. What a boring world if everyone looked the same.
bigtool

Bridgehampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 16, 2012
 
Dixie-me wrote:
Yes, Dickens, I agree. Our differences are what makes us unique and beautiful. What a boring world if everyone looked the same.
i worked with this chrisby black guy once man he was blacker than black.nice guy.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>i worked with this chrisby black guy once man he was blacker than black.nice guy.
Well I worked with a black girl one time and we could wear the same shade of base makeup. That's my point, we are all different. We look different and we hold different values. It isn't a race thing. It's an American thing. There is good and bad in everyone, regardless of their skin color.
Larry Craig

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 16, 2012
 
I just dont like all the herpes!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of48
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••