Yoga Teacher Fired For Glaring at Facebook Worker

Jul 11, 2012 Full story: US News & World Report 18

A California yoga instructor has been fired for her disapproving stink-eye glare at a Facebook employee using a cellphone in class.

Read more

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#1 Jul 11, 2012
what the

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 11, 2012
I thought yoga taught peace and calm thru meditation.... fail.

Public use of a cell phone is a nerve cruncher, but I don't see how glaring can be a firing offense. Heck, if we have freedom of speech we certainly are entitled to freedom of glare. Better to glare than go off and explode in an episode of free speech and offend everyone in hearing range.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#3 Jul 11, 2012
I see many establishments with signs asking people to turn off their cell phones....and there stands a self important azz hat, blabbing away in front of the sign. Are these requests unenforceable?

Seems like the new age version of "no shirts, no shoes, no service" , which has been enforced my whole life.

“No time like the present”

Since: Jul 08

to make it happen!

#4 Jul 11, 2012
off the trail wrote:
I thought yoga taught peace and calm thru meditation.... fail.
Public use of a cell phone is a nerve cruncher, but I don't see how glaring can be a firing offense. Heck, if we have freedom of speech we certainly are entitled to freedom of glare. Better to glare than go off and explode in an episode of free speech and offend everyone in hearing range.
Unfortunately, her employer (not Facebook) was told by Facebook that Facebook employees are encouraged to keep cell phones on and in use at all times.

Is this a firing offense? Heck no. But she was advised as a condition of employment, that she must tolerate cell phone use by Facebook employees.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#5 Jul 11, 2012
Debra27 wrote:
I see many establishments with signs asking people to turn off their cell phones....and there stands a self important azz hat, blabbing away in front of the sign. Are these requests unenforceable?
Seems like the new age version of "no shirts, no shoes, no service" , which has been enforced my whole life.
just for info: the no shirt is a health ordinance .....

but yes a house policy is enforceable .... by the house

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#6 Jul 11, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
just for info: the no shirt is a health ordinance .....
but yes a house policy is enforceable .... by the house
that is kinda what I was thinking, ha ha (I find those signs comical)

http://www.google.com/imgres...

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#7 Jul 11, 2012
Debra27 wrote:
<quoted text>
that is kinda what I was thinking, ha ha (I find those signs comical)
http://www.google.com/imgres...
health issue , body fluids , like sweat or open sores etc etc , so I agree completely with them , and a lot of upscale rest. are banning c-phones in dinning areas , I also agree, as for ME i don't want to hear a phone conversation

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

#8 Jul 12, 2012
Ah yes....Yoga teacher and Facebook worker.

Two very noble professions!!!!

8-|
Dr Stinko

Hampton, VA

#9 Jul 12, 2012
Seems a bit harsh...
Wonder if she had any 'priors'.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 12, 2012
*chuckle*> But, but,... glaring is only legal action teachers can take against students now days. Eye contact becomes assault. Poor teachers.

Now if only we could it illegal for teenagers to eye roll us.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#11 Jul 12, 2012
off the trail wrote:
*chuckle*> But, but,... glaring is only legal action teachers can take against students now days. Eye contact becomes assault. Poor teachers.
Now if only we could it illegal for teenagers to eye roll us.
talk to the hand, he he
Matt

Portland, OR

#12 Mar 25, 2013
lol that's pretty funny
Per Etsil

Medford, NY

#13 Mar 25, 2013
If I was the teacher I would have made a point to personally walk over to that person and show them a new bend technique, and then accidentally fart in their face. Respect given for respect earned.
NancyGrace

High Springs, FL

#14 Mar 25, 2013
A yoga teacher and a facebook worker walk into a gay bar to find a nun.....

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

#15 Jul 1, 2013
Yes yes, people should always be fired for glaring......

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#16 Jul 8, 2013
DILF wrote:
Yes yes, people should always be fired for glaring......
or for being fat, apparently there are some that are offended by having to even look at them.

wonderful world we live in. not.

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

#17 Jul 9, 2013
Debra27 wrote:
<quoted text>
or for being fat, apparently there are some that are offended by having to even look at them.
wonderful world we live in. not.
....and if they were fat AND glaring? They should be jailed!

lol...

;-)

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#19 Jul 9, 2013
DILF wrote:
<quoted text>
....and if they were fat AND glaring? They should be jailed!
lol...
;-)
ha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 7 surefire tips for managing chronic pain 26 mi... Wed its me daisy 4
News People who love to exercise only do workouts th... Mar 23 smashhits 1
News 'Yoga' Your Way to Good Health (Feb '11) Mar 18 mathewsteven10 9
News Top 6 Yoga Positions For Having Good Sex (Jul '14) Mar 18 danielsc 3
News In the Search for an Alternative to God, One Ra... (Mar '11) Mar 12 Poov 690
News Jeans face an uncertain future amid yoga wear rage Mar 10 Jessica 2
News LA's First On-Demand Fitness App Brings the Tra... Mar 7 GymRatJuice 1
More from around the web